The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Thoughts on the coming season.  EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Thoughts on the coming season.  EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Thoughts on the coming season.  EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Thoughts on the coming season.  EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Thoughts on the coming season.  EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Thoughts on the coming season.  EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Thoughts on the coming season.  EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Thoughts on the coming season.  EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Thoughts on the coming season.  EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Thoughts on the coming season.  Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+5
Boltjean
vis
MarkA249
anicoll5
BazSpur
9 posters

Thoughts on the coming season.

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Thoughts on the coming season.  Empty Thoughts on the coming season.

Post by BazSpur Thu Aug 16 2012, 03:22

What are your thoughts on the coming season for Spurs and the rest of the Prem? I would hope we would get top 4 at least but I believe this will be a transitionary season for us and I predict top 6 at best. I think Man City and Manure will be contesting the top spot with Arsenal and Chelski playing catch up. I think Chelski will have a bad season simply because I don't think Di Mattio will be good enough. It all depends with Arsenal on how their new players pan out especially as it now looks like RVP is off to become a red Manc. Newcastle won't be the force they were last season but I think Liverpool will do much better than last season and possibly finish 4th. The Spams will struggle as will Wigan, Aston Villa and the usual suspects. I would like to see us have a good go at one of the cups, preferably the Europa League or FA Cup but would still take the CC.

Last edited by BazSpur on Thu Aug 16 2012, 07:35; edited 1 time in total
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Thoughts on the coming season.  Empty Re: Thoughts on the coming season.

Post by anicoll5 Thu Aug 16 2012, 03:53

Get away to a good start, sort out the Modric sale and bring in at least one goalscorer you might have a perfectly decent season - even matching Arry's best

Crumble in the opening fixtures and you are in serious trouble, very serious trouble
    MarkA249
    MarkA249
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by MarkA249 Thu Aug 16 2012, 06:57

Mid table if we dont sign a couple of decent strikers and a a winger Lennon is injury prone falls apart in the winter months Sandro this season will be a star. Will most probably panic buy 20 milion 11.00 deadline day Andy Carroll i can see that one a mile off i know we r losing Modric bu still got Bale
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Thu Aug 16 2012, 07:09

We will win everything, including Euro-vision Song Contest when Ossie comes out of retirement and re-mixes Waterloo with Chas & Dave.
    AVB will be scientifically proven as the new messiah.
    And Levy will be pronounced the outcome of an Immaculate Conception.
    Whoops time to take me 9yr old hat off and put me me 49yr old hat on.
    Top 6.
    Good in the Europa & a domestic cup (probably the old Carling Cup now something like the Capital One Cup?)

A season of transition . . . ..
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Aug 16 2012, 07:37

For those who noticed my deliberate mistake in my post about RVP off to become a red Scouse please note I have ammended that to red Manc. I thank you.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Aug 16 2012, 07:42

MarkA249 wrote:Mid table if we dont sign a couple of decent strikers and a a winger Lennon is injury prone falls apart in the winter months Sandro this season will be a star. Will most probably panic buy 20 milion 11.00 deadline day Andy Carroll i can see that one a mile off i know we r losing Modric bu still got Bale

Could be gaining M'Vila.
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Thu Aug 16 2012, 21:07

Has to be City and United fighting for top spot. I can see Arsenal doing well only because, and I hate to admit it, they have a class manager, still kept the team together when they were 11 or was it 13 points behind us. Chelsea?, could also do well, at least well enough to finish above us. I can see us finishing 5th the only threat to this position could be either Newcastle or Everton as again I think they have class managers in Pardew and Moyes, excuse my spelling. Liverpool having a new manager could find themselves in the same position as us, a bit of a struggle while the managers settle in. As I said, for us maybe a 5th spot but wouldw not be surprised if we finished 7th.
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Thu Aug 16 2012, 22:42

i think utd might just pip city to the title now they have rvp up front with rooney. chelsea/a*se to battle for3rd 4th . liverpool i feel will do well as the new manager seems very focused knowing who he wants and how he will play. i feel very worried for us unless the striker situation is adressed very soon, its great playing lovely flowing football but will there be an end product of it hitting the back of the net ? i am not convinced. if we start badly and then get a striker in to play catch up, the vultures will be circling ready to pounce on the fact harry was outed blah blah blah. i just hope avb can handle a pressure situation, cos danny has a trigger finger.
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Fri Aug 17 2012, 06:56

I agree with all the comments that we are likely to finish about 6th.... if we're lucky, But I dont agree this is a season of transiion. It's a season of letting what we have echieved in the last few seasons go because of a chairman wanting to play brinkmanship...once again and not spending on the squad like ALL the other top sides have done.

He got rid of Harry....which I agreed with....because he had gone as far as he could with the team and he (Levy) wanted CL football. He then brings in AVB...which I'm not sure about....but doesn't back him like all the other chairman have done, in the transfer market.

How does he expect us to echieve anything this season with out a striker.

So don't tell me it's a season of transition, we have had that in the last 5 seasons. So does that mean we are starting all over again and falling further behind the top 4 or 5 having got so close.

I think Levy has got himself a yes man who will do as he's told, not spend any money and not rock the boat.

Mikey M
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Fri Aug 17 2012, 07:40

Mikey I have to disagree with your post Re; transition. Surely it is Redknapp and his sluttish covertness over the Ing-Ger-Land job that have cost Spurs? Levy is doing what Levy does every close season. Redknapp could have acted coy, got us 3rd and built onwards and upwards rather then P*ssing on Spurs then demanding the club treat him "proper like" after his shameful behaviour in turning down new contracts then demanding new etc? The club stood behind him as his employer when he was in the dock facing tax evasion charges then he turned around and shat on the very club that supported him rather then doing his job properly. Levy is playing brinkmanship as he always does, Redknapp played the cnut ! Without Redknapps foolhardiness this would have been a quietish pre-season with the C/L to keep so-called "star players" happy and tempt others in. Don't blame Levy for acting like Levy, blame Redknapp for acting like Redknapp . . .. .
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Fri Aug 17 2012, 07:43

Repped Vis.

Post by Guest Fri Aug 17 2012, 08:46

rep from me aswell. what sickens me is rednapp is an arsneal fan and he lets a 13point lead slip
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Fri Aug 17 2012, 09:09

vis wrote:Mikey I have to disagree with your post Re; transition. Surely it is Redknapp and his sluttish covertness over the Ing-Ger-Land job that have cost Spurs? Levy is doing what Levy does every close season. Redknapp could have acted coy, got us 3rd and built onwards and upwards rather then P*ssing on Spurs then demanding the club treat him "proper like" after his shameful behaviour in turning down new contracts then demanding new etc? The club stood behind him as his employer when he was in the dock facing tax evasion charges then he turned around and shat on the very club that supported him rather then doing his job properly. Levy is playing brinkmanship as he always does, Redknapp played the cnut ! Without Redknapps foolhardiness this would have been a quietish pre-season with the C/L to keep so-called "star players" happy and tempt others in. Don't blame Levy for acting like Levy, blame Redknapp for acting like Redknapp . . .. .

Vis I've said all along that Redknapp f*cked us up good and proper and there is no doubt that he is responsible for many reasons for the disaster of the end to our season.
    But we were and technically still are in a good position to move forward but it looks like we have dragged our heels and taken our eye off the situation once again.

What I'm saying is the transition started 3 seasons ago after years of musical chairs with managers and players.We are considered a top team by the press and the managers and it looks like going down the toilet if we don't sign a couple of top strikers soon.

It's not transition now it's consolidation on the progress we have already made.

If we don't consolidate now and strengthen the squad, just like everybody else is doing then the progress we have made will have been for nothing. Then I wouldn't call it transition I would call it starting all over.

Mikey M
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Fri Aug 17 2012, 16:35

If we can get Adebayor back in the squad, i think we will do ok. We will only have lost one player from last Season (modric) and that will be the only difference, plus the additions of Vertoghen & Siggy, two quality signings, plus the Thudd is back will be like a new signing! Levy might pop up with a surprise signing on transfer deadline day @ 10.59pm Very Happy COYS!
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Sat Aug 18 2012, 09:06

totalytot wrote:
    vis wrote:Mikey I have to disagree with your post Re; transition. Surely it is Redknapp and his sluttish covertness over the Ing-Ger-Land job that have cost Spurs? Levy is doing what Levy does every close season. Redknapp could have acted coy, got us 3rd and built onwards and upwards rather then P*ssing on Spurs then demanding the club treat him "proper like" after his shameful behaviour in turning down new contracts then demanding new etc? The club stood behind him as his employer when he was in the dock facing tax evasion charges then he turned around and shat on the very club that supported him rather then doing his job properly. Levy is playing brinkmanship as he always does, Redknapp played the cnut ! Without Redknapps foolhardiness this would have been a quietish pre-season with the C/L to keep so-called "star players" happy and tempt others in. Don't blame Levy for acting like Levy, blame Redknapp for acting like Redknapp . . .. .

Vis I've said all along that Redknapp f*cked us up good and proper and there is no doubt that he is responsible for many reasons for the disaster of the end to our season.
    But we were and technically still are in a good position to move forward but it looks like we have dragged our heels and taken our eye off the situation once again.

What I'm saying is the transition started 3 seasons ago after years of musical chairs with managers and players.We are considered a top team by the press and the managers and it looks like going down the toilet if we don't sign a couple of top strikers soon.

It's not transition now it's consolidation on the progress we have already made.

If we don't consolidate now and strengthen the squad, just like everybody else is doing then the progress we have made will have been for nothing. Then I wouldn't call it transition I would call it starting all over.

Mikey M

Mikey I take your point about consolidation rather then transition my friend, but it will be transition as we have a new manager with a different tactical style of play then what the squad has been used to of late. AVB will set his stall out, I think, then find the players that work for him and maybe look to bring fresh faces in as required rather then whole sale changes. Not such a bad thing. If it ain't broke then don't fix it. I hear what posters are saying about strikers but AVB's style may just suit Defoe and there are more then several goals in the midfield. To be honest mate this is the most excited I've been about the start of a season in quite some time. LOL today I went into Dover JJB's and put Spurs shirts at the front of all the other teams hangers and turned the arsenil shirts back-to-front. Childish I know but great fun. It's going to be the usual roller coaster ride but for me it's going to be a ride with fresh ideas and possibilities . . . . ..
    SuneJim
    SuneJim
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by SuneJim Sat Aug 18 2012, 09:25

For me i was surprised that the deadline for the Geordie game came & went with-out Adebayor putting pen to paper i still think he will,,,,,,,,,,,,as it is totally dead rumour wise with him so he must be coming.

Modric going is a big blow the bloke is top notch whether we'd lost faith in him or not,,,so we need a replacement & soon i think it will be Mountinho regardless of what AVB says it's all smoke & mirrors this time of year.

Levy has worked to long & hard to get us this far with a state of the art training ground & an over sixty thousand seater brand spanking new ground to come so we need top football from quality players to fill it.

So we will have at least two players by the close of the window,,,, the two i've mentioned & that should see us in the Top 4.

Red & Blue Manc's fighting it out for the tittle,,,,with Us, Chelsea & a*se-nal fighting it out again for the other two CL places.

Geordies to slip away & Pool still short in depth.

Surprise of the season,,,,QPR brought well & have a manager on a mission. Also think Reading will do ok.

Strugglers Norwich, West Ham, Southampton & Swansea this season. Plus Everton have to fall apart sometime soon.

So for me i'm sticking my neck out for 3rd for us & AVB to show why Chelsea paid the 13 million to release him from Porto & what they would have got if he wasn't stabbed in the back by his own players.

Post by Guest Sat Aug 18 2012, 11:03

im also looking forward to this season.

im sure we will get ade. maybe lorientee but i would love the hulk.

i think the manchester clubs will fight it out for top spot.

got a feeling chelsea will struggle early on and will be mangerleess by november.

west ham to go down.
    norwich to drop down the league with southampton

Post by Guest Sat Aug 18 2012, 16:35

Well good luck everyone, but for my thoughts on the coming season..........! summed up really is.......i dont like it, thats what i am thinking.
    I dont like all the chopping and changing of management that we keep getting at tottenham every so often, and all i can say is that i have nothing against AVB, and i wish him all the best, but despite all the talk that he didnt get much player support at chelsea, or much chance, i am really of the opinion that if you cant do much at a club like chelsea, with all their money, then i cant see that changing at spurs.
    I fear for the season really, and for the club i have followed since a kid, i hope i am 100% wrong.
    The best i can say is that if avb gets the defence right, then maybe a top 8 finish, definately no chance of a top 4 .
    But i wish all you blokes on here a great season, and i really do want avb to be a success.
    Good luck everyone...... ball
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Sat Aug 18 2012, 18:54

I'm excited that a new season is about to start but I am worried about the lack of a striker or two and as yet no replacement for Modric.

I think the defense looks good with several possibilities and combinations. I believe we will miss the powerful play of Parker in the early games and the skill of Modric. Two important players from our MF missing.

I can't see where the goals are coming from. We will be relying heavily on VDV and Sigurdsson.

I will be very interested to see how AVB sets out his team and who he plays.

The firt game against Nwcastle is an interesting one, specially if they are in anything like the form of last season with Cisse and De Ba banging them in.But I think as I say we have a good defence to take care of them but with no new strikers I expect this to be a 0-0 draw.

Mikey M
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat Aug 18 2012, 19:46

Well, it's not as if we don't have strikers Mikey, we do. We have Defoe and Kane. Who knows, they might step up to the mark we'll have to see but I think Adebayor will be at the Lane by the time the window closes and maybe one other. As for Modric? Was he really that good for us last season? I think not, I can't think of a stand out game where you could say he was influential. Modric in my opinion was just going through the motions last season. Personally I don't think he will be missed. Players move on Mikey, you know that, Hoddle, Gazza, Lineker even going back to Jimmy Greaves. We have always survived and we will now.
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Sun Aug 19 2012, 02:38

We had a few good seasons out of them Baz before they moved on, especially Hoddle.

I agree Modric didn't seem as good last year as before but I believe he still had quite a few influential games.I also agree we won't miss him as much as we did when Berbatoss left.

But more importanly Defoe and Kane are not the answer for top 4. But I agree I'm sure we will have a new striker before the end of the window but I'm not sure it will be Adybeyor unless City let him go on a free and Spurs make up his wages with a large signing on fere.

I'm not sure I want the guy who shows that he's only in it for the money and he will go anywhere for it. If it's not us and it's somwhere else he doesn't give a toss.

Anyway these are just my thoughts and the season kicks off for us in an hour and I can't wait. And with L'pool losing and the a*se drawing it looks promising.

COYS !! COYS!! COYS!!

Mikey M
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sun Aug 19 2012, 06:35

Apparently AVB has said there will be one more striker coming in and love him or hate him I think it will be Ade.

Post by Guest Sun Aug 19 2012, 06:39

i think people miss what modric does. he does so much more then bale. modric finds space and creates more then bale.

i remember the liverpool game and the bolton game where modric run the game. cant remember the last time bale had a good game and he looked like he didnt care today.

agree about ade though. he just a greedy sod. and lets be honest he didnt care. the amount of times he was clean through then was so casual like he didnt give a fk
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sun Aug 19 2012, 06:48

Still scored 18 goals though and that's what counts. Strikers by nature are greedy and that's all there is to it really.

Post by Guest Sun Aug 19 2012, 07:16

but berbatov always scores more then defoe yet he always seems to find the right pass in front of goal

he will pass it if somone in a better clearer goal scoring postion.

if he loves spurs then he should come out and say he wants to stay not just threatin us because hes the only striker we got

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19 2024, 22:24