The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
A Question.  EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
A Question.  EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
A Question.  EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
A Question.  EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
A Question.  EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
A Question.  EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
A Question.  EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
A Question.  EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
A Question.  EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

A Question.  Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

4 posters

A Question.

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

A Question.  Empty A Question.

Post by BazSpur Tue Nov 06 2012, 03:40

Can we keep changing managers every year? "Every year?" I hear you say. Well, on average every year isn't as silly as it sounds. I did a little research I was shocked at how many managers we have had since General Burkinshaw. Burkinshaw left us 26 years ago. Have a guess I guarantee you will be shocked. I'll give the answer at the bottom of this post. Footballers and football clubs need stability and changing the manager every year isn't stability. We as a football club cannot keep going down that road. Unless the manager is a complete idiot and really can't win a game he should be given more than a year or at most two in George Grahams case. There is a case in point. Graham won us the League cup and got us to the Semi final of the FA Cup and was sacked before he had a chance to put a team out for it. We lost to Arsenal. Your views on this subject will be much appreciated and hey, let's try to have a decent discussion lol.........................Scroll down.

The Answer is 21 managers in 26 years.

Last edited by BazSpur on Tue Nov 06 2012, 05:05; edited 1 time in total

A Question.  Empty Re: A Question.

Post by Guest Tue Nov 06 2012, 04:34

ye that was crazy sackin graham few days before the cup game. he would of wanted to beat the scum more then anyone..

at a guess i would say 17
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Tue Nov 06 2012, 05:08

21 in 26 years Lought. Which is absolutely disgusting. We can't carry on like that.

Post by Guest Tue Nov 06 2012, 06:03

Makes bad reading mr baz.
    Then take a look at man utd and ferguson, seems like he has been there an age.
    Thing is take away the budget he can call on, also the world reknown of the club and top players itching to join them, i wonder if he would still be there now.

But as you say its a sad record for spurs as a club.
    There are cases for many who have gone, could jol have taken us any further, where would we have gone with hoddle , francis and ardiles.
    Thats what surprised me with the sacking of harry, and i am not starting off on that old record again, i posted why fix it when it aint broken, i was dumbfounded really and all i read on here was his disrespect of the fans, and his media involvement, and his voicing of some fans are idiots, seems a strange reason to want him gone as was expressed on here.
    The point is as you say baz, it looks bad and reflects where spurs have been going all these years.
    All the more reason to hope avb is a long term success.

Just to add i have to go as my dogs are going mad at the fireworks going off round here, gave them doggy calming tablets but they dont seemed to have worked.
    Good subject mr baz and i will take a look at the thread again tomorrow.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Tue Nov 06 2012, 06:42

It's very bad Lew, but of course there are circumstances where the manager's position had become untenable. Santini dismissed himself after, what was it 6 games? BMJ took over had a fair crack of the whip and did very well. As you say, could he have taken us further? We never got the chance to find out as Levy went behind his back to get Ramos who didn't get the chance but and I am not just saying this I do think in hindsight now there was a big problem with Ramos. He won the League cup with what was effectively Jols team. Would BMJ have won it? Possibly, we'll never know Lew. Of course as you say there have been some disasters with some of the choices but who chose them and why? The answer of course is the chairman. Maybe he, they should be held to account. Hope your dogs don't get too stressed. I've got 3 and they hate fireworks so am expecting a bad night with them.

Post by Guest Tue Nov 06 2012, 06:50

but fergie didnt have loads of money to start of with. he did well and built hes team up. he earned the right to be able to spend big money unlike say manchini whos just gone to man c because of the open cash pot.

i rekon managers like fergie and wenger could go to a smaller club and do a good job.
    doubt manchini could
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Tue Nov 06 2012, 07:18

The chickens are coming home to roost for Mancini now. He bought big players but he also bought big ego's and he is having difficulty handling them. I fancy a draw at least at their place.
    cstmrsking
    cstmrsking
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by cstmrsking Tue Nov 06 2012, 08:01

At least we been consistent Smile

Post by Guest Tue Nov 06 2012, 08:42

baz i think we wil get something up there.
    i rekon the scum game will be harder.

also as for 21 managers 10 of them was david pleat coming and going lol
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Tue Nov 06 2012, 09:38

also as for 21 managers 10 of them was david pleat coming and going lol

A Question.  348204
    seebee1944
    seebee1944
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by seebee1944 Tue Nov 06 2012, 21:50

Problem is managers take the blame for everything maybe because players can't be sacked so clubs are stuck with them until a transfer window. A player makes a mistake and the manager takes the blame. Crowd pressure, board pressure, media pressure all heaped on the manager. In the past you never heard from managers but in this age of TV they have to give interviews straight after the game withiout any preparation. You never heard Billy Nicholson do that and there wasn't the need to do so. Where are the intelligent players like Danny Blanchflower who was Bills manager on the pitch.

Yes far too many managers at Spurs and some did not get a fair crack of the whip (George Graham).

Only the monied clubs can change the way Spurs have eg Chelsea who have had 16 managers since premiership started and Man City who have had 10. Because they can buy anyone they like with no exoense spared.
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Wed Nov 07 2012, 06:11

It's something many Spurs fans have been calling out against. Give a manager a few seasons at least to develop a style & team. Unfortunately there are many who question a manager after just 10 games! Poisoned chalice me thinks . . . . .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19 2024, 21:50