The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Europa League Away Game Vs Sheriff Tiraspol - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Europa League Away Game Vs Sheriff Tiraspol - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Europa League Away Game Vs Sheriff Tiraspol - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Europa League Away Game Vs Sheriff Tiraspol - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Europa League Away Game Vs Sheriff Tiraspol - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Europa League Away Game Vs Sheriff Tiraspol - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Europa League Away Game Vs Sheriff Tiraspol - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Europa League Away Game Vs Sheriff Tiraspol - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Europa League Away Game Vs Sheriff Tiraspol - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Europa League Away Game Vs Sheriff Tiraspol - Page 2 Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+3
djfitzo
seebee1944
vis
7 posters

Europa League Away Game Vs Sheriff Tiraspol

Europa League Away Game Vs Sheriff Tiraspol - Page 2 Empty Re: Europa League Away Game Vs Sheriff Tiraspol

Post by Guest Fri Oct 25 2013, 11:23

found this

spurs are like a textbook example of the problem with using statistics to assess sporting performances. On paper it all looks fairly encouraging - every game we have loads of possession, keep clean sheets, are breaking/equally prem points records either overall or for season openings, have signed all this expensive talent and have such strength in depth...

BUT - Jesus Christ we look a bit ****, don't we?! Or (and this is why I'm not sure how bad that performance was, Inda) have I just been spoiled the last few years? After all for much of my adult life Spurs never even qualified for Europe, finishing 5th or 6th in the league was a dream. Now here I am feeling like slating a team who've just won in Europe again (where they've not conceded a goal) and Spurs are 1 point off 2nd in the league, 8 games gone.

There was a time not so long ago that I'd watch Spurs purely in the hope of a result and hopefully a couple of good performances.

In recent years, though, it's been genuinely entertaining and exciting watching Spurs. Spurs had this reputation of beautiful football but TBH that was all based on old history until recently. We saw very little of it from the mid-90s to Ramos.

Nowadays I feel I'm back to just hoping for results. First we have to wait for AVB to bed in, now we have to wait for seven/eight/nine new players to bed in and become familiar with each other. And for half of them "becoming familiar with" will mean "realising they're ****".

The football and performances have been crap so far. For about 15 months now. I don't want to get on AVB's back cos he DOES need time and now he DOES need to learn about these players and they need time to learn.

One last thought I had during the game: Most on here would say that players like Dawson and Defoe are central to the team. I certainly would. And yet they've both been around for a while and all had far better players ahead of them previously. In the past I was happy to sell Defoe - we had much better options. Yes Defoe's improved in recent years (I think) but I think the newly-high status of players who were once fringe players says something. Are ANY of our midfielders as good as Modric, VDV? Have any had the impact that Krancjar had in his first few months at the club? I've not even mentioned Bale.

Yes we signed 100m worth of talent. But made barely any net spend. So basically we sold our best player and spent the money on cheaper replacements. So that's exactly the same as it's been for years. And how many times did we have cause to regret losing Carrick, Barbatov, Modric and now Bale?

Why is a waif-like kid who is not ready for the first team worth 30m, by the way? Does that make Tom Carroll worth 40m? I really hope I see an answer to these questions at some point.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Europa League Away Game Vs Sheriff Tiraspol - Page 2 Empty Re: Europa League Away Game Vs Sheriff Tiraspol

Post by djfitzo Fri Oct 25 2013, 16:18

Loughtonguy wrote:found this

spurs are like a textbook example of the problem with using statistics to assess sporting performances. On paper it all looks fairly encouraging - every game we have loads of possession, keep clean sheets, are breaking/equally prem points records either overall or for season openings, have signed all this expensive talent and have such strength in depth...

BUT - Jesus Christ we look a bit ****, don't we?! Or (and this is why I'm not sure how bad that performance was, Inda) have I just been spoiled the last few years? After all for much of my adult life Spurs never even qualified for Europe, finishing 5th or 6th in the league was a dream. Now here I am feeling like slating a team who've just won in Europe again (where they've not conceded a goal) and Spurs are 1 point off 2nd in the league, 8 games gone.

There was a time not so long ago that I'd watch Spurs purely in the hope of a result and hopefully a couple of good performances.

In recent years, though, it's been genuinely entertaining and exciting watching Spurs. Spurs had this reputation of beautiful football but TBH that was all based on old history until recently. We saw very little of it from the mid-90s to Ramos.

Nowadays I feel I'm back to just hoping for results. First we have to wait for AVB to bed in, now we have to wait for seven/eight/nine new players to bed in and become familiar with each other. And for half of them "becoming familiar with" will mean "realising they're ****".

The football and performances have been crap so far. For about 15 months now. I don't want to get on AVB's back cos he DOES need time and now he DOES need to learn about these players and they need time to learn.

One last thought I had during the game: Most on here would say that players like Dawson and Defoe are central to the team. I certainly would. And yet they've both been around for a while and all had far better players ahead of them previously. In the past I was happy to sell Defoe - we had much better options. Yes Defoe's improved in recent years (I think) but I think the newly-high status of players who were once fringe players says something. Are ANY of our midfielders as good as Modric, VDV? Have any had the impact that Krancjar had in his first few months at the club? I've not even mentioned Bale.

Yes we signed 100m worth of talent. But made barely any net spend. So basically we sold our best player and spent the money on cheaper replacements. So that's exactly the same as it's been for years. And how many times did we have cause to regret losing Carrick, Barbatov, Modric and now Bale?

Why is a waif-like kid who is not ready for the first team worth 30m, by the way? Does that make Tom Carroll worth 40m? I really hope I see an answer to these questions at some point.
    All you've done is trawled the net and found another moaner like you.
    When we paid 8 million 6 years ago for Bale everyone, including you said what are we doing? What a waste of money and he turned out to be a £85 million player. Like then we have to trust our scout (Baldini) that he has seen in Lamela what we saw in Bale. It was only a few weeks ago you said you liked what you saw in Lamela, make your mind up. The writer above said half our buys have been shit.

Eriksen
    Paulinho
    Chadli
    Chiriches
    Saldado
    Lamela
    Capoue

Now as you've raved about most of the above since the season started, which half are shit?

He states that we were entertaining under Harry, at times were, we were also open as a barn door and for all that "entertaining" what did we win? Fuck all.

The writer just sounds like you and I bet at some point his also wrote that what a good buy Paulinho or Soldado was, but after a methodical , if a little boring win in Europe he couldn't wait to find a forum to moan on, like I said, Spurs fans fickle, nah

seebee1944
    seebee1944
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by seebee1944 Fri Oct 25 2013, 19:27

vis wrote:LOVELOVEROCKET Today at 19:18
    +
    ----
    -
    going to love the responses tonight after this snoozefest performance. Crying or Very sad

winning ugly the norm now.

seebee wrote

Another 3 points another away win another clean sheet can't believe some of the negativity on here

how long can our luck hold out see the bigger picture............
    In context I said that after the Villa game which, apart from 10 mins when Benteke gave them a bit of impetus, we dominated. But certain people turned a good win into a downer.

Now the same things happened again, although we did ride a little luck. All good teams do, I seem to remember Cheatski winning a champions league riding a hell of a lot of luck!

The bigger picture I see is that we are three points off the top of the league, which incidentally is headed by a team who have only played one team in the top half of the league, yet people rave about them, that was until Tuesday when they got found out a bit
    We are all but qualified for the next stage of Europa, still in both dometic cups and conceding very few goals.

I see the strongest squad we have had for years, with excellent cover, are confident in ball retention and in other seasons have had an injury crisis which because of our strebgth has hardly been mentioned.

No I'm sorry but it seems to me that whatever we do some of you will never be satisfied and will always carp about weaknesses.  

BE POSITIVE PLEASE>
    MarkA249
    MarkA249
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by MarkA249 Fri Oct 25 2013, 19:56

Loughtonguy wrote:wow why do we play so poor in this competion. players are fighting for a first team spot

lamela is so far from the first team right now.  he kept losing it.

lloris 7
    chirch7  love the way he brings the ball out.
    naution7   decent display at right back.
    verts 7 for the goal.  
    fryers 7 extra point because he was out of postion
    dembela 7 kept the ball well
    sandro 6  he looks off the pace
    lennon6 decent in spells.  
    erikson 8  best player. always looking to make things  happen
    lamela3  awfull.  got bit better on the right side then avb took him off
    defoe6  4 shots    2 really tame shot and a  hit and hope for the goal.

every europa game this season we been poor because of defoe upfront on hes own. he cant link up play. its not hes fault. hes not that type of player.

thought chadi done well when he came on.
    its the result that means more then the performance.
    now we can rest players when we get loads of games in november,

Naughton 7 he was piss poor Fryers out of position ermmmm no he is a left back . Now to the game good hard fought win yes we rode our luck at times but who in the world though sheriff was that good. Credit AVB though 1st half he saw how good counter attacking team they was as told Sandro to stay back at back more and keep possesion better Dawson coming on changed the team for the better too. FFS give Lamela time hes coming to a different country doesnt no the lingo it took Tevez half a season to become good
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Fri Oct 25 2013, 21:46

Lought you give Defoe low marks again and say a lucky goal.
    It took a slight deflection but it was a great strike and ment.

He is now equal goals in Europe for Spurs with the big man Chivers on 22. That makes him a bit special in my book. In Europe he's always good for a goal. Maybe he doesn't link up play enough but that's his game and he's still good enough for the England squad and will probably go to the WC next year.

He's still a good player to have in the squad and could still be sold for 10 to 12 mil even now.

Sure it wasn't a great performance but I don't think anybody thought it eas going to be anything different.

We are now in the knockout stages and that's where the test begines but to be honest I'm more interested how we perform in the league, the rest is to me is good training for the squad.

The only dissapointment so far for me is Lamela and I hope he doesn't turn out another Rebrov. But he's young and he might just be put away for next season or the season after but he needs to get much stronger for the Prem.

Mikey M

Mikey M
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Sat Oct 26 2013, 01:29

A good result. I would just like to say that I agree with Mark, I thought Naughton was poor, every time Sheriff broke down the left he was left standing, Chiriches saved his bacon with the great stop from a goal bound shot, and imo was my man of the match, he is so cool. I think we were a bit static at times, not much running of the ball, and perhaps it's just me but when Lennon get's the ball he seems to want to cut inside to a already congested mid field instead of going down the wing to the goal line and getting a decent cross in, he did on a couple of occasions but not as often as I thought he should have done. I also have to agree with Mikey, Lamela was very poor, nearly always passed to a Sheriff player and on a few occasions this lead to them launching an attack. He looks a bit lost at the moment but am sure given time and the fans being patient he will become a class player.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Sat Oct 26 2013, 01:40

and the fans being patient

No chance Len!!

Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Sat Oct 26 2013, 03:42

You never know Dave, you never know.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 26 2013, 05:07

hes had more prem starts then adel and gio.

lamela can not play left wing. i think hes problem is that he looks like he wouldbe a good player to play behind the striker but we have so many players for that role

it makes you think why we brought certan players and if avb knows where they should play

i agree that chirches was good. so composed on the ball.

but whats the point of taking soldado all around the world when your not going to play him.
    we had ade on the bench
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat Oct 26 2013, 06:12

Lought, I have asked you not to bring up other club players on Spurs related threads but you are still doing it. Last chance mate. Do it again and myself or Vis shall delete the offending words.

As for the game, I can't believe what I am reading. 2-0 win away against a team that rarely get beaten at their ground, in fact I am sure I heard the commentator say they haven't lost a home game for 13 years. They had a game plan. Stick 11 behind the ball because they knew if they didn't we would tear them a new one. Arsenal won the Prem under George Graham by grinding out wins "1-0 to the Arsenal" and all that. IN AVB WE TRUST. And personally I couldn't give a flying fuck if we play like that and win every game. We were professional and we applied ourselves to the task in hand, which was to win the game by which ever method was applicable.
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Sat Oct 26 2013, 06:39

Yes Baz it's a Spurs thread. Posters can argue the toss over past players, teams who aren't Spurs etc in the other teams forum. I thought last night was clinical. OK we got got caught on a couple of occasions but the goals against column proves we dealt with things. Other games against other teams will be a game against another team. End of really. We could all say "yeah but such n such would score loads in a game like that" but until the game actually happens it's supposisition and if's, but's, and maybe's!!! Lamela has done nowt as yet, very true & I agree, but should we criticise? Not yet. When he has a run of games, when he is ready, then maybe? Until then he is a very young man in yet another strange land trying to learn his trade. If he doesn't learn his trade then Spurs will move him on as they have often done before. Other players as good as Lamela, better (?), not as good, have had chances under previous management regiemes. But this is the AVB era so let's just wait & see . . . . . .

Post by Guest Sat Oct 26 2013, 07:02

baz i i can take us playing boring if we get results and we have been.

as for lamela. i hope hes given time. but just not sure where hes going to play.
    he cant play left side. right wing is towsends for now with lennon fighting for that spot.

we got 1 point from our last 2 home games so we need to beat hull.
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Sat Oct 26 2013, 07:12

Agree with that Lought . . . . .
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Sat Oct 26 2013, 18:38

Lamela has not made one Prem syart

Post by Guest Sun Oct 27 2013, 01:06

i meant chances.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27 2024, 11:47