The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
England Flags EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
England Flags EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
England Flags EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
England Flags EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
England Flags EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
England Flags EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
England Flags EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
England Flags EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
England Flags EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

England Flags Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

England Flags

England Flags Empty England Flags

Post by Guest Fri May 28 2010, 05:55

Copy & pasted below a news report about flags on taxi cabs. Now I'm a bit concerned about bans like this and am intrested to hear others opinions. My feeling is that I would not be concerned if I used a taxi showing alligence to another country or religion. In fact it would open up, for me, an intresting conversation as I would be eager to pick their brains and find out what I could about them and the reason for showing their alligence. I also accept that I wouldn't wish to see symbols of extremism and hate. But I could always wait for another cab I suppose ! It has taken many years for the general English public to snatch back the George Cross from extremists but blanket bans like this hand it back to them. The English are somtetimes shy in showing patriotism for fear of being labled, yet to support your country should be a thing of pride not shame. I know Canterbury quite well. I live about 15 miles away. It is the seat of the Anglican faith, the Church of England. Do I detect some irony here ? It is a reasonably, but not overly, multi-cultral city with a large university with a large body of foreign students. It has a broad spectrum of restaurants from many different cultures and a lot of the pubs are staffed by students of different nationallitys. As far as I am aware there is no racial tension in the city or surrounding areas. OK a taxi is a public service vehicle and it is bound by certain codes of practice but would the council be so quick to ban if there was a large minority and it was celebrating a festival of it's own or showing support for it's mother country ? A difficult decision I know, but to stop English people celebrating their Englishness is to me a dangerous choice to make as it fosters ill-feeling by doing it . . . . . . .

Taxi drivers in a Kent city are upset after being told they are not allowed to fly flags from their vehicles during the World Cup football tournament.
    Canterbury City Council has said attaching England flags to cabs would breach rules on what can be displayed on public service vehicles.
    Cabbies face having their licences revoked if they ignore the ban.
    The authority has said it is happy to review the policy but that a full consultation needs to take place.
    'Strict rules'
    Cab driver Colin Mitchell said: "It is about being patriotic to the country and because England are in the World Cup."
    Larissa Laing, from the council, said: "We accept that many taxi drivers want to be patriotic and we have been fully supportive of them wearing England shirts.
    "However, it is a public service vehicle and as such there are very strict rules and what can and cannot be displayed on a taxi and sadly an England flag, or any flag, cannot be displayed."
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

England Flags Empty Re: England Flags

Post by BazSpur Fri May 28 2010, 07:36

Stupid, stupid, stupid. fcuking bureaucracy gone mad. Got nothing better to fcuking do. The sad thing is I don't believe anyone would mind.

Current date/time is Wed May 08 2024, 16:09