The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Benefits ! EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Benefits ! EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Benefits ! EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Benefits ! EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Benefits ! EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Benefits ! EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Benefits ! EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Benefits ! EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Benefits ! EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Benefits ! Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

3 posters

Benefits !

Benefits ! Empty Benefits !

Post by Guest Tue Feb 08 2011, 11:03

Heres something funny, well ! not too funny if you are a tax payer.

My wife works at a local nut hatch, errrrrr ! sorry mental institution, (and no she didnt meet me there) and she revealed to me that some of the patients get £100 a week, plus winter fuel allowances ! errr yes ! a winter fuel allowance..these are long term patients, been in the home for years, the hospital provide them with warmth during the winter, so i cant get my head round why the government would want to give them a winter fuel allowance ?

Well lets hike up vat, petrol and everything else, oh yes and by the way those patients must be given some extra cash for their winter bills....makes sense doesnt it.

Makes you wonder if the person/s who decided this should be in there with the patients....... Shocked
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Benefits ! Empty Re: Benefits !

Post by anicoll5 Tue Feb 08 2011, 21:45

So what do they do with the cash Lew ?
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Wed Feb 09 2011, 00:15

By the way Lew patients are only entitled to receive payments of the Winter Fuel Allowance if they have been receiving treatment for less than 52 weeks - DWP rules - if they have been in the bin for longer then they have no entitlement and should not be receiving the payment

Post by Guest Wed Feb 09 2011, 03:13

Could be one of the rumours that start up around these type of situations. Every summer where I live we get swarms of cheap "East European" farm labourers, some of them lovely people some not; and you can always spot them in Tescos buying blue & white label en mass. Every summer the same rumour begins that if they come from a European Union country and have children (back in the auld country) they are entitled to claim Child Tax Credits and child allowance. I don't know if it's true or not but many people swear it is and so it has beome a small piece of rural folklore around here . . . . . .
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Wed Feb 09 2011, 03:26

People want to have a look at the imminent changes to the rules concerning UK Corporation tax before worrying about Albanian child tax credits and loonies receiving Winter Fuel allowance

Except of course who gives a fcuk about Corporation Tax

Well maybe we all should

I wont bore you within the details but annually it will cost the Treasury hundreds of millions of £ each and every year - and a change never mentioned in any manifesto - at a time when we are all told we have to shoulder tax rises and cuts to services and jobs.

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask

Post by Guest Wed Feb 09 2011, 03:37

Cammeron wears a mask Nic, underneath his skin is red, smells of sulphar & brimstone & smokes . . . . .. devil

Post by Guest Wed Feb 09 2011, 05:39

anicoll5 wrote:So what do they do with the cash Lew ?

Spent on designer clothes and the like is what one patient does nic, and then usually ends up giving them away.

Post by Guest Wed Feb 09 2011, 05:45

anicoll5 wrote:People want to have a look at the imminent changes to the rules concerning UK Corporation tax before worrying about Albanian child tax credits and loonies receiving Winter Fuel allowance

Except of course who gives a fcuk about Corporation Tax

Well maybe we all should

I wont bore you within the details but annually it will cost the Treasury hundreds of millions of £ each and every year - and a change never mentioned in any manifesto - at a time when we are all told we have to shoulder tax rises and cuts to services and jobs.

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask

I dont worry about it nic ! it just astounds me mate how these people are voted into government and make such a decision and the british tax payer has to put up with all that crap, and nobody says a jiffy about it.

Corporation tax is another matter, but this kind of handout to people who dont need it is insulting to those of us who pay tax.
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Wed Feb 09 2011, 06:09

2 points Lew - first if they have been in the loonie bin for more than 12 months as you said they should not receive it - presumably as they are nuts then SOMEONE in charge of them should have sorted it out ? You can hardly accuse the nutters of fraud - they are insane lol

Any way what are we talking about ? A 100 long term nutters receiving Winter Fuel Allowance at £125 a head per year ? 200 ? 300 ? 1,000 ? As a tax payer I am not likely to spit my dummy very far on that sum of misspent or wrongly paid benefit , though I agree it should not happen.

Corporation Tax - bear with me now, bear with me - the change in CT regulations that is being sneaked in.

Which will result in £100s of millions of tax that UK companies will no longer be required to pay on profits earned from overseas operations, while still being able to offset all expenses or losses for those overseas operations against their UK tax bill.

An example we have both heard of; Shell made £1.6 million profit every minute of every day of the year in 2010, with 90% of profit outside the UK

CT is 28% on profits = the Treasury is therefore about to lose £2.7 billion a year in tax revenue from Shell alone.

A few nutters on benefit does not really do it for me - ask your missus if there are any beds free Sad

Post by Guest Wed Feb 09 2011, 06:34

anicoll5 wrote:2 points Lew - first if they have been in the loonie bin for more than 12 months as you said they should not receive it - presumably as they are nuts then SOMEONE in charge of them should have sorted it out ? You can hardly accuse the nutters of fraud - they are insane lol

Any way what are we talking about ? A 100 long term nutters receiving Winter Fuel Allowance at £125 a head per year ? 200 ? 300 ? 1,000 ? As a tax payer I am not likely to spit my dummy very far on that sum of misspent or wrongly paid benefit , though I agree it should not happen.

Corporation Tax - bear with me now, bear with me - the change in CT regulations that is being sneaked in.

Which will result in £100s of millions of tax that UK companies will no longer be required to pay on profits earned from overseas operations, while still being able to offset all expenses or losses for those overseas operations against their UK tax bill.

An example we have both heard of; Shell made £1.6 million profit every minute of every day of the year in 2010, with 90% of profit outside the UK

CT is 28% on profits = the Treasury is therefore about to lose £2.7 billion a year in tax revenue from Shell alone.

A few nutters on benefit does not really do it for me - ask your missus if there are any beds free Sad

Yeah get the point nic, i am saying collectively (with other misplaced benefits) its another insult to the british tax payer by hiking up vat and petrol and god knows what.
    The corporation tax you are citing sounds like another insult on a far bigger scale, and i dont really know enough about the facts to stand on a level playing field and discuss the finer points of it with you.

As for beds nic ! yeah there are a few spare, not many, word of warning and i cant say this to any youngster seriously enough..........most of the patients where my wife works are in there through cannabis abuse, the drug literally has done their heads in, paranoia, hearing voices, and these are young men who should be enjoying their lives, not stuck in a fcking nuthatch.

Unfortunately the drug doesnt do it to everyone, and it seems insidious the way it works, bringing pleasure at first and then bringing out the psychosis in(certain) people that they end up in mental institutions.

Its like playing russian roulette with your brain, there should be more government warnings on the stuff, to tell users that you might be one of those people who it will never affect, but you could also be one of those it does.....the mental hospitals are full of them....and thats the true evidence.

Post by Guest Fri Feb 11 2011, 09:30

What Lew has said about the dangers of cannabis to the young I would like to enforce. Im not against the odd spliff, in fact I'm of the opinion to each their own when it comes to any drug; tobacoo, alcohol or illegal varities. This is to do with "modern cannabis" usage and the young. I will try to tell the tale of a lad I was close to. A lad who I spent 12 years of my life with. I wasn't his father but he would send me fathers days cards. He should have been 22 years young today. Sadly he isn't. He has been dead 3 years in March. The root cause of his death I do not know but it was something to do with paracetomol & a failed liver transplant. Cannabis it-self did not kill him. But the effects on his developing young mind aided his demise. This is difficult. My last proper contact with him was the day before his 18th birthday. 4 years ago, strange how time passes. He turned up on the doorstep of where I was living & kicked off. Went crazy my friends. By this time my relationship with his mum was over & I was moving on with my life & had a 9 year old to look after. It was the cannabis that made him act like that. Something in it affected him. It doesn't do that to every kid who uses it but maybe as many as 1 in 1000 do suffer. It changes them. They go from suicidal to amazingly agressive in the blink of an eye (for those of you who know steroid abusers think X10). They are unlucky. They do not deserve to suffer an existance of continued mental illness for being kids and experimenting but they just do. He was always a handfull, a challenging kid, a maverick. I always remember at age 11 he ran away from school and had several family members, many teaching staff and a good handfull of Canterbury constabulary searching for him and all he done was hide in a field of rape seed with half a packet of fags. When the kid finally turns up 7.30 in the evening you don't know wether to choke or cuddle 'em lol. I have since found out he tried his 1st spliff at age 11. WOW. Far too young. And from what I know the usage just escalted. For those who say cannabis isn't additive I say bullsh*t. From what I've found out in the end he was rolling up an 1/8th of an ounce of skunk weed per spliff and smoking many of those a day. Cannabis can be theraputic & medicinal. It can also cause untold damage. Much more research, as with all drugs, is required. But people, cannabis, the strong THC content skunk strains, and the young do not mix. Before me & his mum split I was aware of his using it. I didn't realise how much. I spoke to him about it. I tried to realate with him that some cider & spliff out the park on a Friday was a rite of passage but limits must be respected. Unfortunately I obviously didn't get thro' to him. As I said by the time of his fall into despair, me & his mum were no longer a couple. Believe me when I say that me & her no longer speak unless absolutely necessary (that 9 year old is now a stroppy 13 lol). But still I kept as much contact as I could. So many people (his real Dad was maybe the main one)tried to help him and get him help but it just wasn't ever enough. This is why I know so little of the end game. I have done some asking about tho'. The "gentlemen" dealing him were guys of my age, 1 or 2 personally known to me, or there abouts. Strangely they were loathe to speak to me (I wonder why ?)but the little hanger-on's these kind of people surround them-selves with did talk. They told me that the stuff sold to kids was often cut with furniture polish to bulk it out. Can you believe that ? Not only are these kids taking on vast quantities of cannaboids & THC they are also ingesting Mr fcuking Sheen. WTF is that doing
    to them ? Seriously guys I'm sorry to get maudlin but it's hit hard tonight for possibly the 1st time in awhile, I'm sitting typing this crying silent tears. Went for a beer tonight to see friends and lift meself a bit and you know what ? I should have been having a beer with that lad celebrating his 22nd Birthday. What Lew says about the beds being filled with youngsters suffering from mental problems is a sad fact and if ever you hear kids "bigging" up the weed FFS tell them to be carefull, think long & hard about this sh*t & if needs be relate this tale or one very similar to them . . . . .

Last edited by VisionarySound on Fri Feb 11 2011, 19:34; edited 1 time in total
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Fri Feb 11 2011, 10:17

A harrowing tale Vis and I am sorry for your loss. I dabbled with Cannabis at one time but it didn't last long. I soon tired of it. Maybe I was a lucky one, who knows? Maybe if I had got hooked I could have been in a hospital somewhere or even dead. Youngsters are very impressionable and peer pressure is a powerful persuasive force. The problem is, if you tell a young kid don't, the chances are they will, sometimes to spite their parents. It's an old cliche I know but all we can do is be there for them if it all goes pear shaped. Vis, you are a good man and you did all you could to help the lad. It's very difficult though but at least you tried. Many others would not even have bothered.

Post by Guest Fri Feb 11 2011, 10:47

Baz I figure it's just an unlucky chance. So many people use or have used weed. Many people use it to help them with the awful side effects of dibilatating illness. Me, I see nothing wrong with that. My tale is just one of the unlucky ones. A lad who tried it and it triggered something in his brain that was bad. Like any drug it has it's side effects, it's positives & negatives. I just hope that if any youngsters should read the above tale, they take heed and be aware that any action may well have a reaction. I'm a believer in education about any drug usage, not just prohibition Thanx for your kind words . . . . . .
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Fri Feb 11 2011, 21:03

You aint wrong Vis - have recently dealt with a very bright girl, good school, loving family, degree from St Andrews in Psychology who when she used cannabis went absolutely crazy. Ended up hanging herself in hospital. Unfortunately she made a bad job of the suicide and will spend the rest of her life severely brain damaged.

The human brain does not fully develop until around the age of 22 - if it is fcuked with by drugs, drink while it is developing then the consequences can be catastrophic - and in your case and my recent outing were
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Fri Feb 11 2011, 22:53

It's so sad that young lives are cut short. I remember when I was 16 thinking I would live forever. Of course I knew deep down that wasn't true but I never expected to die young.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sat Feb 12 2011, 00:01

I'm sorry to hear the tales guys, I think that we all have known someone who has been badly affected by drugs. For me it was one of my best friends who OD'd on Cocaine.

I started smoking Cannabis at 18 and have smoked it, on and off, for 24 years. Currently I have, once again, quit both the weed and cigarettes too so I'm one of the lucky ones who remains relatively unaffected by the weed.

I will say, though, that, while not physically addictive, it is most definitely mentally addictive.

But as Vis says, education is the only answer, much as with alcohol.

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat Feb 12 2011, 01:42

Glad to hear you're off it ion. Hope you can stay off both weed and the Ciggy's.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sat Feb 12 2011, 02:09

BazSpur wrote:Glad to hear you're off it ion. Hope you can stay off both weed and the Ciggy's.

LOL, it's not like the weed was ever an issue for me Baz, but thank you for the sentiment. Like I said, I was on and off over the 24 years, some spells away being over a year or so. I smoked it because I enjoyed it, when I stopped enjoying it I stopped smoking it.

The ciggies were a bigger issue as breaking them was an act of willpower. I couldn't use patches as they give me a rash so I went cold Turkey really. As long as I kept my mind occupied I was OK, it was evenings that I suffered. I can happily say that, 6 weeks on now, the cravings are, if not gone, diminished to the point where they don't bother me hardly at all.

But despite my history, as a Father the drugs scare the pants off of me. My experience kept me away from the 'harder' drugs but there's no assurance that my kids will. All I can do is give them the benefit of my experience and hope that they make the right choices.

Post by Guest Sat Feb 12 2011, 05:11

I knew a lad who used to smoke cannabis off and on from when he was 18 to 21, only because he didnt have a regular supplier, then at 22 he got the regular supplier, at 23 he had a nervous breakdown, became paranoid about even his closest of friends, didnt go out anywhere, just moped about indoors.

Years later he told me he didnt get anything from the drug other than paranoia, he pulled himself together, gave the stuff up, but said it had permanently affected his mental faculties.

He feels it ruined his life and regrets the day he ever tried the stuff.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02 2024, 23:38