The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Wooton Bassett EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Wooton Bassett EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Wooton Bassett EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Wooton Bassett EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Wooton Bassett EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Wooton Bassett EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Wooton Bassett EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Wooton Bassett EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Wooton Bassett EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Wooton Bassett Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

Wooton Bassett

Wooton Bassett Empty Wooton Bassett

Post by Guest Thu Mar 17 2011, 02:23

About time too for the dignified, respectful way they honour the fallen . . . . . .

Wootton Bassett to get 'Royal' title in war dead honour

Wootton Bassett is to be the first town in more than 100 years to get the title of "Royal" in recognition of its efforts to honour the UK's war dead.

Repatriations of fallen troops have taken place through the Wiltshire town since 2007.

These will end when RAF Lyneham closes at the end of 2012, with the majority of its planes, kit and personnel moving to Brize Norton.

David Cameron made the announcement during Prime Minister's Questions.

'Unique and special'

The only other Royal towns in England are Royal Leamington Spa and Royal Tunbridge Wells.

Wootton Bassett lies on the route the corteges currently take to the John Radcliffe Hospital, in Oxford.

Making the announcement, Mr Cameron confirmed that troop repatriations would no longer happen via Wootton Bassett from September.

But he said the Queen had agreed to the tribute as "an enduring symbol of the nation's admiration and our gratitude to the people of that town".

Mr Cameron told the House of Commons: "Their deeply moving and dignified demonstrations of respect and mourning have shown the deep bond between the public and our armed forces."

Mary Champion, Mayor of Wootton Bassett, said: "This is a great honour for our community as the repatriations move away from Wootton Bassett.

"Whilst we have never sought recognition for our simple act of respect, I am certain that this will serve to reinforce the pride and gratitude we feel for the members of our armed services who will always be in our thoughts."

'Spontaneous support'

In a written ministerial statement, Defence Secretary Liam Fox said: "I would like to thank RAF Lyneham for their excellent work in supporting the important task of repatriation ceremonies.

"I am certain that RAF Brize Norton will maintain the standard of solemnity, dignity and respect to our service personnel killed on operations as shown by the personnel at RAF Lyneham.

"I would also like to record publicly my thanks to the people of Wootton Bassett who have chosen to pay their respects in a unique and special way.

"It is such spontaneous public support that captures the spirit of the British people, and I am very grateful for those who have participated.

"Such gestures do not go unnoticed by those deployed on operations."

Peter Doyle, of Wootton Bassett Town Council, said: "The town has found itself during the course of the repatriations in front of the nation, really through an accident of geography due to our proximity to RAF Lyneham.

"I think most people in the town would recognise and hope that any town in a similar situation would have done likewise."

Conservative MP James Gray, whose North Wiltshire constituency includes Wootton Bassett, told the Commons: "The people of Wootton Bassett have sought no thanks or praise for what they have done on so many hundreds of occasions.

"But they will be deeply honoured and very pleased by the honour which Her Majesty has shown them on this occasion."

The spa towns of Leamington and Tunbridge Wells petitioned for the honour in recognition of their antiquity and Royal patronage of their facilities.

Leamington Spa was granted the title in 1838 by Queen Victoria, and Tunbridge Wells in 1909 by King Edward VII.

There are a number of Royal Boroughs in England. Greenwich will become a Royal Borough in 2012 in honour of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.

Caernarvon in Wales was made a Royal Borough by the Queen in 1963 and was allowed to retain the honour when it ceased to be a borough in 1974.