The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Charity Event EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Charity Event EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Charity Event EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Charity Event EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Charity Event EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Charity Event EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Charity Event EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Charity Event EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Charity Event EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Charity Event Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

4 posters

Charity Event

Charity Event Empty Charity Event

Post by Guest Tue Apr 12 2011, 08:11

This Sunday (17th) I am taking part in a charity event for the Clic Sargent childrens cancer charity. It is an idea that was dreamt up im my local pub. The basis of it is in the style of the old fashioned Philleas Fogg around the world challenges. My challenge is to get home from London to my home village with-out spending anything. I can hitch hike, jump transport, steal a boat, anything lol. There are 5 of us taking part. 3 lads are cycling from Chelsea harbour hotel. 1 is an experienced cyclist. 1 a part timer and 1 a complete novice who hasn't rode a bike in many years. They have to arrive at my local together, the slowest will set the pace. We have a girl called Sally who is running the London Marathon on Sunday. Her's is the time to beat. We understand that she is a 4 and a half hour runner but we are also lead to belive she has shaved a half hour off her time of late. The original plan was that we 4 lads all set off from the Chelsea harbour as Sally starts her marathon and then the race began. That has changed though. There is no prize just bragging rights and some money raised for a worthy cause. The lads on the bikes are having a "big night out" in the Smoke on the Saturday and setting off, after agreement with all involved, at about 630/700ish to miss the worst of the traffic. Quite understanable on a push bike me thinks. They will send confirmation and proof via another guy who is having the night out with them but coming home via his own motor. I am now being dropped off in Grenwich (which makes things less complicated for me - no getting out of central London anymore! ! ![that would have tricky & long winded}) around 8am by Sally's husband. That is when my race begins. We sort of expect the marathon runner to start around about 10/11am (hey it's a huge race and who knows). This will be confirmed as well. The lads times will finih when we reach our local and order a drink. Sally's will finish with her authenticated time in photo form crossing the finish line. I will have my phone with me in case of emergency and £20 in a signed & sealed envelope should I get totally stuck and need to get home with no other way that I can find. If I spend I lose, simple as. So guys if anyone is heading for the Kent coast on Sunday and spots a dishevilled bald guy on the run from the transport police hitching a lift, it maybe me. Please be sympathetic lol and help me. At the moment my thinking is maybe dress up in fancy dress and try my luck, Medway side of Blackheath, hitch hiking or try to jump public transport into the heartland of Kent and walk the last 20 miles or so. Whatever, after 8 hours on the road I will admit defeat, break into the emergency funds, and get my-self home safely. But to be honest I'm thinking let's get dropped off and worry about it then and see if my wits, charm & good looks (LOL) can get me home. Friends have offered to pick me up and get me home really quickly but that would be cheating. I want an adventure and a story to tell when I get home and if that means me walking 25/30 miles before I unseal the envelope then I look forward to that. I will keep you updated on developments. Wish me luck & a safe journey and hopefully I will have a story to post on here that may just entertain a few of you . . . . . .
    HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Charity Event Empty Re: Charity Event

Post by HotspurRoper Wed Apr 13 2011, 04:17

Nice 1 Vis mate, didnt know much about the charity but iv just had a look on their web site and its an absolute great cause your doing it for mate. If your taking sponsers or anything like that put my name down and PM me relevent details i.e Name, address etc and i will send you sponser money!!! Again well done mate

Post by Guest Wed Apr 13 2011, 05:40

good luck. if you need any help with evading train tickets just ask lol

Post by Guest Wed Apr 13 2011, 06:18

Thanx guys. Not looking for sponsors on here Leeski, too much involved in trying to collect but thank-you for the kind offer. LOL Lought, yup Im considering finding a small unattened station in Sarf London and seeing how far I can get ! ! ! So far my local has raised around £8K for the charity and we are hoping this weekend and the associated events taking place over it (not just the great race, there are bands & B-B-Q's & other stuff taking place and the landlord is giving a percentage of the weekends takings as well) will take us to over £10K. One of the regulars lost his young neice to cancer and since then we have supported this charity as they were so supportive to our friends family . . . . .
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Wed Apr 13 2011, 20:49

well good luck vis. and dont forget to wear sensible shoes lol.best of luck mate
    HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Post by HotspurRoper Thu Apr 14 2011, 03:36

Well best of luck mate, but like i say all it would take is you PM your name, address or address of ya local and id send donation asap!!!

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19 2011, 01:47

Well the deed is done. Got home without spending a thing. Set off at 7.30 and was back to my local just after 1pm. No bugger gave me a lift tho' ! ! ! Followed the route of the old Watling Street, thro' Shooters Hill, Crayford etc and walked as far as Dartford (about 12 miles I think and I was there by 11). Hitching wasn't helped by the amount of road closures along my choosen route and the only traffic I saw before 8.30 was coppers on bikes who had no idea of the area they were patrolling and couldn't advise me on any alternate routes. At Dartford I decided to throw my-self to the "goodwill" of South Eastern trains. Unfortunately the station was manned (I had already decided that should this be the case I would walk another 4 miles or so to a rural sation that I figured would be unmanned) but thanks to a somewhat disintrested guard and a lady with a baby buggy I was on the platform. "Gates open Luv" he said without looking while chatting to the attractive young lady in the ticket booth. "Allow me to help you up the stairs with your baby", I said. Ever the gentleman me LOL. 2 trains later and no ticket inspectors I was at a station about 4 miles away from base. A good place to disembark as there is a shuttle service that runs from there and it's 1st stop is an unmanned station that would only take me a couple of miles out of my way. I had thought ahead tho' and had searched out an old ticket while on the trains. Lady Luck was smiling on me again tho' as there were 2 old dears with gigantic roll along suitcases that had the gate held open for them by another disintrested guard and through I strolled nonchanently waving the old ticket about and out the station I strolled. Then it was the last march back to my local and a well earned, cold Stella. All told a cracking day and a great adventure. Saw some sights and met some characters along the way. Got some phone video footage of my journey which has had everyone who has seen it in stiches (things like me filming empty streets alla 28 Days and bemoaning the fact I'm hitch-hiking in a deciedely Victor Meldrew fashion). All for a good cause as well.
    The lads on bikes took 5 hours but actually cycled for less then 4 when you take out a stop for breakfast, slipped chains, cramps etc. In fact the cheeky bar-stewards texted me piccys of their brekkies and all I could send back were piccys of deserted Sarf London streets lol. Sally ran her marathon in 4hrs 38 minutes and said with the heat it was a gruelling race for her. Had a few beers in the piub to celebrate as well. LOL I had 2 baths yesterday. 1st when I came home in the afternoon before walking up pub again 2nd when I got back & Mrs Vis tells me I was crashed out by 9.30. Didn't get up till nearly Noon today. Legs are achey but I've just the lane where I live (about a mile) to loosen 'em up for work tomorrow, deep joy. A wonderfull day that will stay me with all of us involved for ever . . . . . .

(note to any children reading this - jumping trains is not big & it isn't clever. It can result in a minimum fine of £20 or even more severe sanctions so don't try this at home lmao )

Post by Guest Tue Apr 19 2011, 02:54

lmao Sounds like a good day vis respect mate, reppppppppped!
    HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Post by HotspurRoper Tue Apr 19 2011, 02:56

Well done Vis my man!!! clap
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Tue Apr 19 2011, 05:42

Excellent Vis my man. REPPED.