The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Chris Foy EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Chris Foy EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Chris Foy EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Chris Foy EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Chris Foy EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Chris Foy EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Chris Foy EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Chris Foy EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Chris Foy EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Chris Foy Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+2
anicoll5
djfitzo
6 posters

Chris Foy

djfitzo
    International
    International

Chris Foy Empty Chris Foy

Post by djfitzo Tue Jan 10 2012, 01:18

I would put this is the Spurs section, but this fool seems to be affecting everyone.

Terrible decision against Citeh and another overall poor game by him, how does he keep getting
    high profile matches?

Until Rooney intervened, he had'nt even blown up for a foul, shocking.

anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Chris Foy Empty Re: Chris Foy

Post by anicoll5 Tue Jan 10 2012, 02:38

Having had the opportunity to look at it several times I think it was a reckless challenge that, if it had caught Nani, would probably have caused the Manyoo player a serious injury - a yellow would however have been the right response in my view. It was reckless not malicious. On balance though I can understand why Foy gave him the card.

The problem for Foy is that he does not have the luxury of seeing it again and again til he gets it right. He got no guidance either way from the assistant referee or the 4th official. He saw what he saw. Whether he should have blown faster than Rooney managed to get his arm waving and squealing going might be arguable. Foy did not appear to have any doubt at all which card he was taking out. WTF referees do not pull out cards more often to discourage the pathetic appealing I do not know. Welbeck was bleating that Kolarov should be sent off a few minutes later with the penalty.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Tue Jan 10 2012, 02:44

anicoll5 wrote:Having had the opportunity to look at it several times I think it was a reckless challenge that, if it had caught Nani, would probably have caused the Manyoo player a serious injury - a yellow would however have been the right response in my view. It was reckless not malicious. On balance though I can understand why Foy gave him the card.

The problem for Foy is that he does not have the luxury of seeing it again and again til he gets it right. He got no guidance either way from the assistant referee or the 4th official. He saw what he saw. Whether he should have blown faster than Rooney managed to get his arm waving and squealing going might be arguable. Foy did not appear to have any doubt at all which card he was taking out. WTF referees do not pull out cards more often to discourage the pathetic appealing I do not know. Welbeck was bleating that Kolarov should be sent off a few minutes later with the penalty.

Pretty soon, there wont be any tackling at all allowed, protections one thing Nic, nothing wrong with a robust challenge, Wilshere makes plenty of them when he plays.

As for Foy, he made strange decisions all game, i'm afraid that the showing of the imaginery card is something the Jonny Foreigners brought to our fair land!!

anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Tue Jan 10 2012, 02:51

I used to blame the foreigners Dave but It is more a football disease.

Rooney is not foreign, Welbeck is not foreign, Milner is not foreign. They are just cheating a*seholes.

What would help to sort out the arguments about refereeing and consistency, given the abuse that the ref got for not sending fat Frank off last week against Wolves, has to be video technology

Given that it took three minutes took to get Kompany off the pitch are you telling me it would have held the game up to have the challenge reviewed by the 4th official ? Would have taken 30 seconds max - and a ( deserved) yellow card would have been the result.

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Tue Jan 10 2012, 03:00

Preaching to the converted Nic, what does the average penalty take to actually get all the players away from the ref, out of the area, ball on spot, goalies to f**k around, in that time the 4th official has ample time to review any contentious decisions and get it right, I mean they had what seemed eons to talk to the lino, radio through to the ref and for him to book Kaboul for his "you need glasses" routine.

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Tue Jan 10 2012, 03:01

On a seperate note, is it just me or does Paul Robinson of Bolton ever get booked for making sure he always clears out the player as well as the ball?

anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Tue Jan 10 2012, 03:38

Robinson !!!

Diaby was out for four months over Summer 2010 - first game back against Bolton in October Robinson just kicked him - middle of the pitch, no pretence of "going for the ball", just took his right shin out with his studs. Straight through.

No card, not even a foul - Diaby has played 2-3-4 games since ?

Robinson is "that kind of player"

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10 2012, 03:50

like dj said the ref didnt even blow for a foul untill rooney had a word with the ref.

i see rio been tweeting saying it was a red. i doubt he wouldbe happy if it was him.

would the ref had given red if it was up the other end.

like lampard tackle last week thatwas worse and foy bottled it

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10 2012, 04:01

Only problem with video refs guys is when do you use them ? What decision is allowed & what is challenged. How often would players & managers use it to disrupt a game ? Far too often I think. There has to be solid guidelines for what constitutes a referel. Look at Rugby League and see how often the ref goes to the video, nearly every try it seems even when they are obviously good trys. The problem, to me at least, is that if video is used then refs will become frightened of making any decision in case replays show it should have been refered. The game as a spectacle would cease with countless time-outs for offsides, tackles, ball out of play, everything. An idea maybe is to borrow from both cricket & rugby. Allow a side 2 video referels per game. To be made by the captain on the pitch or the manager. For example Kompanys challenge (which technically was a red card even though it was a good tackle - won the ball & didn't injure Nanny - as it was 2 footed & both feet off the ground) could have been called for referel by either Evra or Ole Red Nose. Like wise Phat Phwanks tackle last week could have been called by McCarthy or the Wolves captain. The same with any contencious decision. But only 2 per team per game and the 1st team to call it with the ref have the decision made, no recall on the referel after it has been made by the other side. The other idea is the sin-bin. Yes Kompany was a red card but a deserved punishment could have been 15 minutes off the field of play ? That could count as 2 yellows to go against the running total of a players rather then an automatic ban as at present. I feel that if refs were to be given these 2 options they could continue to referee a game themselves rather then continually be called to task by a video judge & also the lambastting that happens after the game by all. I would also make refs do an after match interview to explain decisions and this would also give a chance for referels & sin-bins to be made clear . . . .

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10 2012, 04:04

I am also going to add that any player waving cards or calling for referels other then the captain should face an automatic yellow card . . . . .
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Tue Jan 10 2012, 04:23

[quote="Loughtonlegend"]like dj said the ref didnt even blow for a foul untill rooney had a word with the ref.

i see rio been tweeting saying it was a red. i doubt he wouldbe happy if it was him.

like lampard tackle last week thatwas worse and foy bottled it[/quote]

Peter Walton bottled it with Lampard at Wolves last week Lought - dreadful tackleand entire deserving of a red card - as I said though he saw it once - I saw it a dozen times
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Tue Jan 10 2012, 04:34

The only time the video should be used by referee is when he asks the fourth official to review an incident - as in rugby union - if he is sure of what he has seen then the fourth official never needs to be troubled

However, as in rugby union, if you are a referee and give what turns out to be the wrong decision when you had the chance to review it then you suffer the consequences - and most referees sensibly err on the side of reviewing an incident rather than make an error.

Not sure about giving managers a set number of automatic referrals - could be the next step but I would prefer to see how referees get on using video responsibly themselves

As for sin bins - tick that box - referees to explain their decisions - tick - but not with a camera shoved up their nose immediately they leave the field.

Referees to card players for waving cards, for diving, for cheating, and clubs to take some responsibilty about controlling their players - tick, tick, tick

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10 2012, 04:52

Nic my point of the 2 referels is to try and take away post match criticism of refs by players & managers. If you put the onus on the ref to refer then there is every chance they will become scared of their own shadows. If they continue to ref without the chance to refer themselves you keep the freedom for them that they have at present to run a game. Give them referels and they may choose to allow the video ref to run the game. They may just decide to do that to give Chris Hoy a break lol. If you give the manager & captain the 2 referels then the onus is on them to only call a ref when they feel a mistake may have been made. By the time they have got few wrong they will soon think twice about constant harranging of refs. And if proven correct there is no need to criticise as they will have got the decision they deserve . . . .
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Tue Jan 10 2012, 05:10

Sound thinking Vis - enough rope Smile

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10 2012, 06:23

why cant there be a secound ref watching the game on a tv screen and only goal mouth or bad tackles is he allowed to intervein

if its a red card then just buzz the ref simple

HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Post by HotspurRoper Tue Jan 10 2012, 06:27

Thats about the best idea Lought!

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10 2012, 09:09

Ferguson added: "They all appeal for players to get sent off. It's an unfortunate part of our game. What Wayne did was a natural reaction to a bad challenge."

The above is a quote from Ole Red Nose. What a disgracefull thing to say. He should be saying "I will be fining Rooney an undisclosed amount for his poor sportsmanship". So Ole Red Nose thinks it's OK ? Can't wait to see 11 opposistion players waving imaginary cards against one of his players next time a bad challenge is made by ManUre. As much as I despise this habit there will be a certain sweet feeling of Karma about it . . . ..

Post by Guest Tue Jan 10 2012, 10:00

it was not a bad challange. nani was not near him. he trapped the ball.

im sure rio would be going mental if he got a red for that.

and i dont belive the ref would of given a ref if rooney hadnt said anything
    HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Post by HotspurRoper Tue Jan 10 2012, 18:09

For what its worth i thought it was a brilliant tackle, won the ball, never even touched the player. Asd for the card waving it i bloody dispise it, any half decent manager should warn his players he will not stand for it and warn them that if they are guilty of this cheating act they will be fined by the club accordingly
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Tue Jan 10 2012, 19:56

anicoll5 wrote:
    Loughtonlegend wrote:like dj said the ref didnt even blow for a foul untill rooney had a word with the ref.

like lampard tackle last week thatwas worse and foy bottled it

Peter Walton bottled it with Lampard at Wolves last week Lought - dreadful tackleand entire deserving of a red card - as I said though he saw it once - I saw it a dozen times

Nic, I think Lampards challenge only needed a cursory glance, the most blatant red i've seen all season.

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Tue Jan 10 2012, 20:02

Loughtonlegend wrote:why cant there be a secound ref watching the game on a tv screen and only goal mouth or bad tackles is he allowed to intervein

if its a red card then just buzz the ref simple

I know I sound like a broken record but, Kabouls booking was retrospective after the 4th official consulted the lino, who then radio'd to Foy, who then booked Kaboul, whats the diff with contentious decisions?

anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Tue Jan 10 2012, 21:11

[quote="djfitzo"][quote="anicoll5"][quote="Loughtonlegend"]like dj said the ref didnt even blow for a foul untill rooney had a word with the ref.

like lampard tackle last week thatwas worse and foy bottled it[/quote]

Peter Walton bottled it with Lampard at Wolves last week Lought - dreadful tackleand entire deserving of a red card - as I said though he saw it once - I saw it a dozen times [/quote]

Nic, I think Lampards challenge only needed a cursory glance, the most blatant red i've seen all season.

[/quote]

From where we saw it from the camera gantry Dave I fully agree, far to high, straight through the player at shin height, a leg breaker; at ground level, and from a different angle, I can only think it looked a bit different to Walton.

ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Jan 12 2012, 20:48

Well I'm really confused now... scratch

In last night's Citeh V Pool CC First Leg , this was not even pulled up for a foul...

Chris Foy 21jy78j
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Thu Jan 12 2012, 21:16

Straight red imo - I only saw the first ten minutes last night so I did not see the "tackle" - where was the ref ?
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Jan 12 2012, 21:29

anicoll5 wrote:Straight red imo - I only saw the first ten minutes last night so I did not see the "tackle" - where was the ref ?

Chris Foy OF63M.gif%22%20onclick=%22window.open(this

Both Kompany and Johnson tackles were similar to me ...Both players lunged at the ball, with both their feet off the ground .... Both are straight reds I'd have thought ....

Also agree with you guys that, Frank Lampard away to Wolves, should also have been a red too ...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content