The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Inter Milan Match Thread EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Inter Milan Match Thread EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Inter Milan Match Thread EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Inter Milan Match Thread EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Inter Milan Match Thread EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Inter Milan Match Thread EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Inter Milan Match Thread EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Inter Milan Match Thread EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Inter Milan Match Thread EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Inter Milan Match Thread Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

5 posters

Inter Milan Match Thread

vis
    vis

Inter Milan Match Thread Empty Inter Milan Match Thread

Post by vis Mon Mar 04 2013, 09:16

Inter Milan Match Thread 150px-Tottenham_Hotspur.svg Versus Inter Milan Match Thread 200px-Internazionale.svg

At

Inter Milan Match Thread Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQC0zl9RoRf_uEYm3WY-GRqiCMBfs5Kcq53u_38VNdbsnia-jyq

Inter Milan Match Thread 160px-Europa_league.svg

Thursday 07th March 2013.
    Kick Off @ 20:05hrs GMT.
    vis
    vis

Inter Milan Match Thread Empty Re: Inter Milan Match Thread

Post by vis Thu Mar 07 2013, 06:29

Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe believes the current Spurs squad is the best he has been involved with.

The 30-year-old who is set to start Thursday's Europa League last-16 first leg tie with Inter Milan, has spent seven years in two spells at the club.

Defoe, who has played alongside Dimitar Berbatov, Rafael van der Vaart and Luka Modric during that time, praised manager Andre Villas-Boas's side.

"I think it probably is the best since I have been here," he said.

"We have that winning mentality in training - it is just a good time to be here."

Defoe has scored 14 goals from 33 appearances this season and is well on course to beat his 2011-12 total of 17. However, he has not found the back of the net in the last seven matches he has played.

The England international says the quality of the players around him has made it easier for him to score the goals that have helped Tottenham embark on a run that has seen them lose just once since 9 December in all competitions.

He added: "As a player I have always said when you are playing with good players it makes it easier.

"Especially as a forward, you know you are going to get chances in a game to score."

Gareth Bale has been Defoe's team-mate throughout the former Portsmouth striker's second spell at Tottenham, but is undoubtedly enjoying his best season to date, having scored 16 goals - his highest return as a professional.

He could be key to Tottenham's chances of victory against Inter - the team he scored a hat-trick against in a Champions League match between the two in 2010.

Defoe added: "He has realised that he is a good finisher - in fact he is a great finisher with a great left foot. When things aren't going well in a game he can just take the ball, beat two players and score.

"He is a great player and what he has done over the past couple of months has been unbelievable."

Tottenham look set to be without Emmanuel Adebayor, with the striker having suffered a knee injury during Sunday's north London derby win over Arsenal.

Mousa Dembele also took a knock in that much but trained on Wednesday and is fit to face Inter.

Younes Kaboul, Sandro and Tom Huddlestone (all knee) and Clint Dempsey (calf) are unavailable.

The Serie A side have a number of injury problems to contend with as top-scorer Diego Milito (knee) is out for the season, while centre-backs Andrea Ranocchia (knee) and Walter Samuel (Achilles) are sidelined.

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 03:45

cant wait for the game tonight.

brad
    walker dawson caulker ekotto

lennon dembele jake stigerson
    bale defoe

i would def bring on holtby later but for either lennon or bale if we are leading

vis
    vis

Post by vis Fri Mar 08 2013, 05:49

Like you Lought I'm really looking forward to this one. Should be a classic European night at The Lane.
    It amazes me that fans of other clubs sneer at this competition. It's a stern test and draws up some great games like this against some of Europe's finest & most famous clubs . . . . .

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 05:55

team news in.
    brad
    walker galas verts ekotto
    lennon parker dembele stigerson
    bale defoe

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 05:56

just found out parkers a spurs fan. thought he was an arsenal fan and he said when he was at west ham he would never joins us.

makes it even more strange how he turned us down twice b3fore
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Fri Mar 08 2013, 06:32

His whole family are Spurs mate. A friend of mine knows some of them and they are Spurs to the core . . . ..
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Fri Mar 08 2013, 06:38

1931:
    LINE-UPS - Tottenham v Inter Milan (2005 GMT)

Tottenham: Friedel, Walker, Gallas, Vertonghen, Assou-Ekotto, Parker, Dembele, Lennon, Sigurdsson, Bale, Defoe. Subs: Lloris, Naughton, Dawson, Holtby, Livermore, Caulker, Carroll.

Inter Milan: Handanovic, Zanetti, Ranocchia, Chivu, Juan, Gargano, Cambiasso, Alvarez, Kovacic, Pereira, Cassano. Subs: Belec, Palacio, Guarin, Benassi, Pasa, Mbaye, Jonathan.

Referee: Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz (Spain)
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Fri Mar 08 2013, 09:00

Well that was Spurs ripping Inter a new orifice . . . . .

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 09:09

defoe 13 games 1 goal lol apart from that this was a great performace. stand outs for brad parker walker lennon verts galas.

no ratings tonight because they was all brillant.

really inpressed with avb again using the sqaud.

stigerson link up play is awesome
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Fri Mar 08 2013, 09:18

Loughtonlegend wrote:defoe 13 games 1 goal lol apart from that this was a great performace. stand outs for brad parker walker lennon verts galas.

no ratings tonight because they was all brillant.

really inpressed with avb again using the sqaud.

stigerson link up play is awesome

Defoe put more effort in 10 minutes than Ade has in 5 games and had more attempts, he was rusty and still looked more likely to score than Ade.

vis
    vis

Post by vis Fri Mar 08 2013, 09:29

Lought I hope that was tounge in cheek and not an excuse to belittle Defoe lol? He's what we have for the rest of of the season, good or bad. More lively then
    Adanicedozeylongstayinbedandrightnowmybigtoeisa
    bitpoorlyihaveanouchyanditsquitesorepoormeonahundredgrand
    aweekitsjustanightmarebeingme ! ! !
    and the dynamic of our forward play was faster and more fluid.
    I agree with your stand-outs but Defoe was lively and looking for a goal. Not a bad thing. Parker was my MOM but I also thought Lennon was outstanding again and I'm hoping his early end was cramp at worst.
    I think AVB plays Gallas ahead of Daws in Europe as Gallas' style of defending is more suited to a European game then Daws all English style. Clever management if so. The first 30 minutes or so looked awesome but I struggled to watch the 1st 10 minutes lol as my phone was going mental with work related problems. I just about managed to get my boss off the phone as Bale scored the 1st and I'm trying to bounce up & down and shout yes. Will know tomorrow if I hung up in time lol. A very good, pleasing & satisfying win. The 2nd leg at the San Siro is not a formality but I do feel Inter will need to score more then 4 goals as I think we can score at theirs at least once. And our defence looks as good as any since the days of Mabbutt & Gough. A very happy Vis sitting here this evening . . . .
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Fri Mar 08 2013, 09:41

Bale simulation time. Looked a stonewall pen to me on 1st viewing. OK I'm viewing through Lilly White eyes but I thought contact was made. We hear so often from so called pundits & ex-pro's saying "Oh yeah clever, the attacker played for it and won it and who can blame them when slight contact is made"? For me that's what it was. Slight contact. Yellow was harsh but there we go it was given and now the accusations will start again against Bale. Unfortunate but watch the replays and the Inter defenders leg comes across Bales shin. If I thought it was a blatant dive I would say so as I have in the past but this time I felt the Ref's ego got the better of him. And I also have to say the Inter lad was unlucky to get booked for similar . . . .
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Fri Mar 08 2013, 09:47

The football in the first half was the best we have played all season and as good as the fast, slick free flowing play we showed the first half of last season which many said was the best the prem had ever seen. The difference this time was the fire and determination every player showed. In the few times the ball was lost it was won back straight away.

Every player was magnificent but Lennon and Parker were outstanding tonight.

The only surprise to me was AVB didn't take of Lennon and Bale for the last 20 minutes when the game was won. Especially as we have a massive game on Sunday against the Pool. In the end Lennon was taken off injured and I just hope he makes Sunday.

Well done lads COYS!!!

Mikey M
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Fri Mar 08 2013, 09:55

Mikey fair assessment. We had the free, fluid football of last season but a spine of steel rather then jelly . . . .

Post by Guest Fri Mar 08 2013, 09:58

i thought the same. first half was perfect. best we played this season.

i also thought parker was man of the match and lennon work rate was amazing.

i know defoe desprete to get a goal but a few times he should of passed then we could of killed the tie.
    but he played well first half.

i do think stiggerson offers more then dempesey and holtby looked lost when he came on.

im glad bale got booked he gets a nice rest now.
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Fri Mar 08 2013, 10:15

Inter Milan Match Thread _66268569_tottenham
    (This is a great photo)

Gareth Bale maintained his superb scoring form to put Tottenham in control of their Europa League last-16 tie against Inter Milan.

Bale glanced in a header from Gylfi Sigurdsson's cross early on but will miss the second leg after his fourth caution of the season for diving.

Sigurdsson turned in from close range after Jermain Defoe's shot was saved.

Jan Vertonghen headed in a third from Bale's corner in the second half to give Spurs a comfortable advantage.

While manager Andre Villas-Boas will be pleased to see Bale continuing his impressive run with his 21st of the campaign, there were plenty of other positive signs from a dominant performance that led to a sixth win in seven matches.

Icelandic midfielder Sigurdsson was a constant threat on the left flank and, making his first start after a month out with an ankle problem, Defoe looked sharp in attack.

A 50th Tottenham goal, and an 11th in nine games for club and country, mean that Welshman Bale will never be short of plaudits.

But Tottenham will be without the winger, who scored three goals in a blistering performance in Spurs' 4-3 defeat in the San Siro in 2010, when they head to Italy next week, having been cautioned by Spanish referee Antonio Lahoz after going down under a Walter Gargano challenge in the area.

At least the positives continue to vastly outweigh the negatives and after an intense opening from the hosts, Bale guided a header into the corner from a Sigurdsson ball from the left.

Inter were struggling to get out of their own half and after 17 minutes they were two behind.

A neat passing move from Spurs worked space for Aaron Lennon to pull back for Defoe, whose shot was blocked by goalkeeper Samir Handanovic only for Sigurdsson to touch in.

Sigurdsson crossed for Vertonghen to have a looping header tipped over before another ball from the left saw Bale head wide.

Inter had chance to reduce the arrears just before the interval but Ricardo Alvarez clipped wide after being sent clear by Antonio Cassano.

And they were soon made to pay after the break.

Vertonghen should have turned in from a Bale free-kick, but the Belgian made no mistake when he met Bale's corner unmarked to head in.

Bale just missed after a typical surge forward before Handonovic turned around the post from Defoe.

Lennon was also denied a fourth when he put the ball through Christian Chivu's legs only to be blocked by Handanovic.

Tottenham's goalkeeper Brad Friedel was alert enough to to race out to deny Rodrigo Palacio after a quick free-kick from Esteban Cambiasso and Spurs head to Italy in a strong position.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Inter Milan Match Thread Empty Inter away

Post by djfitzo Tue Mar 12 2013, 20:28

I would deffo rest some players, keep them on the bench just in case,
    need to get back on track against Fulham on Sunday

Friedel
    Naughton Gallas Caulker Benny (still not match fit)

Livermore Hudd Carroll Holtby
    Ade
    Defoe

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Tue Mar 12 2013, 20:31

djfitzo wrote:I would deffo rest some players, keep them on the bench just in case,
    need to get back on track against Fulham on Sunday

Friedel
    Naughton Gallas Caulker Benny (still not match fit)

Livermore Hudd Carroll Holtby
    Ade
    Defoe

According to Physio room Dempsey should be fit, he often comes up with important goals, one goal from us at there will win this tie.

Post by Guest Tue Mar 12 2013, 23:28

use dempsey for the bench.

caulker needs a game so does hudd.

if lennon is fit i wouldnt start him.
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Wed Mar 13 2013, 01:30

Inter Milan Match Thread 200px-Internazionale.svg Versus Inter Milan Match Thread 150px-Tottenham_Hotspur.svg

At

Inter Milan Match Thread Th?id=H.4544183708155924&pid=15

Inter Milan Match Thread 160px-Europa_league.svg

Thursday 14th March 2013
    Kick Off @ 1800hrs GMT
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Wed Mar 13 2013, 01:30

Bumped to the top . . . . .
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Wed Mar 13 2013, 01:36

COYS!! Its gonna be all about our defence for this game! Inter will obviously go for it, they've got nothing to lose. But, even without Bale, we could score a goal or two and kill the tie off i reckon, time for the other players to step up and make up for the mistakes on Sunday against Liverpool!

Team i'd go with!

Friedel
    Walker Dawson Vertonghen Naughton or Ekotto
    Lennon Livermore Parker Siggy
    Dembele
    Defoe
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Wed Mar 13 2013, 01:37

Dave & Lought. I have merged your posts from the Tottenham Fixtures section into the Inter match thread. Thanx.
    Vis . . . . .

flowers
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Thu Mar 14 2013, 08:40

Tottenham's Gareth Bale is suspended for the Europa League last-16 clash at Inter Milan after receiving a third yellow card in the 3-0 first leg win.

Forwards Aaron Lennon and Emmanuel Adebayor travelled to Italy despite missing Sunday's defeat to Liverpool.

Midfielder Clint Dempsey is unavailable with a calf strain as are Younes Kaboul and Sandro with knee injuries.

When asked whether he would field a weakened side, Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas said: "No chance."

He added: "There is no scoreline that could make us change six or seven players so we will play a strong team to make sure we go through in this competition.

"We take this game very seriously."

And the Spurs boss is confident his team will be OK without the suspended Bale.

"We've been in situation where he is not with us and we got results," said the Portuguese.

"Gareth can make a difference in any game, we know. We will miss him but we won't want to prove anything without him because we believe a lot in ourselves and also we believe in Gareth.

"It's not a case of proving anything. We just want to do our job to get through."

Inter Milan coach Andrea Stramaccioni admits it will take a huge effort to reach the Europa League quarter-finals.

"We want to do well and honour [the competition], but we know our situation and our numbers are limited," he said.

Stramaccioni has withdrawn Alvaro Pereira, Dejan Stankovic, Ezequiel Schelotto and Marco Benassi from his squad to face Tottenham.

Argentine pair Diego Milito and Walter Samuel are also missing through injury.

"Football is strange. 3-0 is difficult to overturn, but we'll be taking to the field to win," said Stramaccioni.

"We want to do well in front of our fans and win the game, and then as far as qualifying for the next round is concerned, we'll have to see.

"There's no point denying it - we're not playing well at present and it's up to me, as the coach, to find the way to give my players more security which they don't have."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11 2024, 04:09