The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
What does the future hold for spurs loanees EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
What does the future hold for spurs loanees EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
What does the future hold for spurs loanees EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
What does the future hold for spurs loanees EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
What does the future hold for spurs loanees EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
What does the future hold for spurs loanees EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
What does the future hold for spurs loanees EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
What does the future hold for spurs loanees EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
What does the future hold for spurs loanees EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

What does the future hold for spurs loanees Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

3 posters

What does the future hold for spurs loanees

What does the future hold for spurs loanees Empty What does the future hold for spurs loanees

Post by Guest Thu Apr 01 2010, 03:23

What does the future hold for Spurs loanees?

Few clubs have loaned more players out of the club this season than Tottenham and the idea that we have let so many established players take that route is almost unique in today`s game, although that may well be something that changes over the next few seasons.

Perhaps Harry and the club have been brave in disbanding the reserve team for this season at least, and it was certainly something that I feel we haven`t missed and many of the players who would have filled the side would gain far more from playing league football elsewhere and are already in the gap between being too good for the reserves, but not ready for the first team.

This of course doesn`t apply to our more established loaned players, Keane, O`Hara, Hutton, Taarabt and Dos Santos. Four established international and one with over 50 first team appearances and formerly a regular in the England U-21s. These are all players who would expect to be playing regular football, but for varying reasons, the club have seen fit to loan them out to give them football or possibly put them in the shop window.

The biggest problem I think they face is returning to the club as squad players, when they will clearly expect regular starts, and can we honestly see any of them as automatic starters, while some will struggle to even make the bench. Here is my quick assessment of the five:

Robbie Keane: Much will depend on where Spurs finish this season. A CL place and his experience could be invaluable, but only as a squad player. Should we retain Eidur Gudjohnsen, he loses the play making/2nd striker role, but can he be used as the competition/back up to Defoe, a role he seems to be better at for Eire and has done well for Celtic, regardless if the standard?

Jamie O`Hara: I like Jamie very much and would love to see him return and in doing so he will be a far better and more confident player than the one that left, but again with the taste of not only being an automatic starter, but probably the best player in the team, will he be happy to settle for being one of four or five players competing for two places. Personally I hope so.

Alan Hutton: Is there any future for Hutton at WHL? I don`t think so. Surely we will see ether of the Kyle`s pushing Vedran Corluka for the right back position and the only way I see Hutton returning is if there are no takes for his signature. Even then I see another loan in preference to a return to Spurs. Sunderland may have been seen as a place to regain form, fitness and confidence, but so far he has hardly set the world alight.

Giovani dos Santos: A move to Turkey is still a possibility as he is supposed to be at last regaining some form. There is no doubting his ability with a football, but are his problems more in the mind, in his inability to knuckle down to put in the hard miles. A case of too much too soon?

Adel Taarabt A legend in his own mind or a future world superstar? Adel seems 100% determined to leave this summer, with Spain and Real Madrid or similar being his preferred destination... Recent showings perhaps indicate a realisation that he can pass and also provide the finish. A player who can be the best on the pitch one game and the worst the next. If he is too stay it will take some very clever talk from Harry and an assurance of a first team chance. Is that going to happen?

I imagine that the likes of Bostock, Parrett, Obika, Townsend and Mason all have plenty of time to establish their Spurs careers and another season or more on loan may suit their development, but the other five are already there or at least in their minds or reputations, the question is, will any of them be seen in a Spurs shirt again???

What does the future hold for spurs loanees Empty Re: What does the future hold for spurs loanees

Post by Guest Thu Apr 01 2010, 03:24

If it were up to me, I wouulod love to have Gio and Taraabt as impact players, but I think both need more playing time to gain form and confidence. What is more worrying, is; Why should any youngster wanna join Tottenham? They hardly ever get a chance do they? I bet we could ship any of Gio/Taraabt/Bostock and Parrett to Everton and they would all share the type of headlines that their youngsters do. Often Everton kids have awful games, but Moyes haven't had any choice but to play them, and suddenly, they are superstars....

What does the future hold for spurs loanees Empty Re: What does the future hold for spurs loanees

Post by Guest Thu Apr 01 2010, 08:10

Loughtonlegend wrote:If it were up to me, I wouulod love to have Gio and Taraabt as impact players, but I think both need more playing time to gain form and confidence. What is more worrying, is; Why should any youngster wanna join Tottenham? They hardly ever get a chance do they? I bet we could ship any of Gio/Taraabt/Bostock and Parrett to Everton and they would all share the type of headlines that their youngsters do. Often Everton kids have awful games, but Moyes haven't had any choice but to play them, and suddenly, they are superstars....

Lought I'm sorry, but yet again I have to disagree with one of your comments. How old was Lennon when he joined us ? Bale ? Thats just 2. Thudd & Dawson ? Get a grip mate. I know it's an exciting end to season for us but don't lose sight of the FACT that Spurs are one of the few clubs who have bought youngsters (especcially English) and slowly brought them into 1st team & International contention. Over the last several years Levy and his managers have purchased young players (not enough at the mo coming thro' the youth set-up BUT that is starting to change) and have had sucsess with them. Some players haven't quite made the break at Spurs but have gone on to enjoy sucsess at other clubs (Simon Davies, Etherington, Andy Ried to name but a few). I would honestley say that Spurs have one of the most productive youth to main team policies within the English game . . . . .

Post by Guest Thu Apr 01 2010, 08:20

we are a graveyard for youngsters. the only reason bale is gettin a run is because of ekotto injury . as for lennon yea thats 1. we have ruined so many youngers. andy reid ehterington luke young clemence simon davis bernard whos scorin goals for hes team roughtlede postiga naugton to name a few. plus now its just a matter of time before ben alwick shipped out aswell as towsand and dervitt and livermoor

Post by Guest Thu Apr 01 2010, 08:25

Lennon Huddlestone Bale Dawson. Most teams in the Prem would bite our fcuking hands of just one for those. How much was spent ? £12M for just one of them ? NO . Support your team and players Lought . . . .. .

Post by Guest Thu Apr 01 2010, 08:37

we stole dawson. althought we done well with him and hudd. 4 out of about 30 from the last 5 years
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Thu Apr 01 2010, 23:55

Perhaps the reason why they dont' play is because they are not good enough. They have'nt exactley set the world alight on loan have they. We have a big squad now and if we are to expect bigger things next year then we need the best at the club. I think overall the younger players we had high hopes for have been largly dissapointing like Bostock, Dos Santos, Tarbt, Pennek etc.
    Mikey M
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Fri Apr 02 2010, 01:20

the only reason bale is gettin a run is because of ekotto injury

If thats the case Lought, both are fit now, but Harry's playing Bale instead of Benny, Harry will always pick on form.
    SuneJim
    SuneJim
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by SuneJim Fri Apr 02 2010, 11:05

Don't tell Sandro he won't get a chance & no young players will sign for us he'll feel so stupid,,,,,,,,,,,,,, lol. Got what it takes you'll get a game, if you haven't you won't. But the whole lone system, is about giving players game time so you can see what there about. You can bet your bottom dollar that Harry is keeping tabs on all of our loan players & will do what's best for the team, with them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08 2024, 11:40