The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Good result last night EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Good result last night EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Good result last night EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Good result last night EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Good result last night EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Good result last night EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Good result last night EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Good result last night EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Good result last night EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Good result last night Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

2 posters

Good result last night

Good result last night Empty Good result last night

Post by Guest Sat Jul 31 2010, 08:03

Good result last night- no I haven't gone crazy!

by Alan the librarian

Spurs 1, Villarreal 4

After last night s pasting by Villarreal, I was half expecting to visit this blog having to remind everyone it was just a friendly and as such the circumstances of the game will never be repeated in a competitive one.

However, no need. Indeed, like me, many fans are quite pleased some of the youngsters were afforded such an experience against a very technically organised and gifted La Liga side. Our starting eleven included a mixture of returning WC stars and fringe players and their lack of match fitness, inexperience and general unfamiliarity was evident from the start. Particularly in midfield were youthful exuberance resulted in a complete emptying of our midfield on a number of occasions. Jenas took that a step beyond by leaving the pitch altogether midway through the first half. This meant that our disjointed backline (including Corluka as CB) were completely exposed to midfield runners and were punished expertly by the aptly named Cani and Giuseppe Rossi.
    Good result last night Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpOF9cgOx6bArzuGpXZwb9eTjA9zx3erWT7EbkHoGuzipcsEc&t=1&usg=__oqOTGOCcLxhmzTADS98Ge1zg_gk=
    This, in my opinion, was a great experience for the likes of Walker, Taarbat and GDS who on a number of occasions were guilty of taking too many risks in dangerous areas. I only wish Bostock was out there so he can perhaps get served a reminder of how short he is of top level football. Make it at Brentford first and then you can talk eh? Walker was the most promising and I would be tempted to keep him but the others are a little short. In Parrett s case, literally!

So what does the 4-1 result mean? A few jibes from desperate gooners (masking their own insecurities) and f-all else. Last season we lost lamely to Celtic and we all know what happened after that. The last few seasons before that we went unbeaten and only to stink big style when the actual business got underway. That s because we used to play easy games which made even the likes of Bent look world class. This pre-season I have been encouraged by the level of opposition. The American tour provided a stern test in blistering heat against sides much fitter and more experienced than our own (owing much to the WC) and last night we faced a classy side who finished the La Liga season very strongly after a poor start. It may be a month until their season got underway but given Lennon and Co only left the beach (and Cigars) only a few days prior, we were in the same boat/submarine. OK cheesy jokes over.

I am never happy to lose a game of course but I believe players and managers learn more about themselves in defeat so last night they would have learned a sh*t load. Rather now, when it doesn t matter, then in two weeks time.

COYS
    Puushandrun.com

Good result last night Empty Re: Good result last night

Post by Guest Sat Jul 31 2010, 08:36

And what have I been posting on other threads eh ? Great learning experience for us . . . .. .
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Sun Aug 01 2010, 07:28

It might have been well said by the Librarian, but to me the game just showed the cracks and the weaknesses, even though it was only a "friendly" and as I have said before I don't believe Harry knows yet what is his best defence. I certainly don't believe Villareal are a good side, to me the are just an average Spanish middle table side and we made them look better than they are.
    Mikey M
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Sun Aug 01 2010, 08:34

Corluka is a major worry for me. The guy leaves the defence wide open on alot of occasions and comes across as a lazy player, not just in these friendlies but last season too. I think Harry should sort him out, i'm not happy with the player at all, although i would say he has the potential to improve.
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Tue Aug 03 2010, 00:06

I totally agree about Corluka. I have never really rated him, he worried me a lot last season being caught out to many times.

Mikey M

Post by Guest Tue Aug 03 2010, 09:33

yea corluka the weak link and adel only got 12 mins lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02 2024, 14:25