The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Shape of Things to Come? EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Shape of Things to Come? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Shape of Things to Come? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Shape of Things to Come? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Shape of Things to Come? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Shape of Things to Come? EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Shape of Things to Come? EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Shape of Things to Come? EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Shape of Things to Come? EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Shape of Things to Come? Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

4 posters

Shape of Things to Come?

ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Shape of Things to Come? Empty Shape of Things to Come?

Post by ionman34 Thu Nov 04 2010, 11:43

Having watched the Inter game, breathtaking wasn't it, I then got to thinking about some of the comments made, about our team, over the last few weeks on here. In particular, the comments on the quality of our players and our ability to remain in the top tier of English Football.

By top tier I mean top 4, not the Prem! lol!

Well, based on the Inter performance, I think some of those criticisms have been somewhat answered, at least partially anyway.

What that performance told me is that this team, talentwise, really is good enough to mix it with the absolute best and come out on top. Let's face it, it wasn't a dogged, backs to the wall, English pride, workmanlike performance the wore down and overcame a more talented side, It was a solid, skillful, powerful display by a side full of top drawer quality, from front to back, that, whilst working extremely hard, made the European champions look like also rans.

When we didn't have the ball we got numbers behind it, numbers that worked in tandem to deny Inter any clear cut chances for better than 90% of the game. When we did have the ball ............. Well, you all saw it, we really were awesome.

It wasn't too much different to the Citeh game, just with more goals.

I see 2 things missing that will take us to the next level, a top notch strikeforce and the mindset of winners. The mindset that treats every game the same, requiring the workrate regardless of who we are playing.
    The strikers has been identified already and will be addressed in the fullness of time. I think they're also working on the mindset. We've already seen the resilience in this team that has been missing from so many others for so long, they're continuing to develop that never say die attitude and, in fairness, we have yet to see this team capitulate to ANYONE over the 90 minutes of a game. Yes, they've gone to bits in two CL games, but have shown huge resilience in the comebacks they've staged.

I still maintain that this squad is a hop, skip and jump away from being the finished article. Not a lot to do to get the team correct ...............

A couple of Strikers and a therapist eh?
    YID FROM DAV
    3rd Division
    3rd Division

Shape of Things to Come? Empty Re: Shape of Things to Come?

Post by YID FROM DAV Thu Nov 04 2010, 19:28

yes it was a very good performance. bale is unplayable when he plays like that and he gave maicon a right runaraound, we are very close now and i agree the therapist is needed probably just as much as the needed striker. maybe the new striker could be the therapist at the same time. great to hear levy and harry both saying a big hands off as far as bale is concerned as well.
    cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by cynicsid Thu Nov 04 2010, 19:49

Thats just about how I see it as well Ion.

It's a pitty because our strikers should be a lot better than they are performing right now but I dont think they are going to turn it around any time soon.

The danger of course is that we will start loosing players, I dont mean Bale and other 1sr choices but players like Kranjca and Bentley & O'Hara who are of major importance because as they push for a start they push the current team to do better and better all the time.

If our strikers were performing better we could run the risk of playing these fringe players a bit more and therefore keep the whole squad happier and lets face it better prepared to be called on.

Currently we have had a couple of bad CL matches and lets face it, in Wigan West Ham & Everton we have missed out on 8 points we really should of got ( we scored 1 goal in those 3 games). It's those results changing that will make all the difference, Facing the goons and chelsea while we are about level on points is a lot easier than being several behind, same goes for Man U. We need the confidence of knowing we are unlikly to cock it up before we will be on level terms mentally and that confidence comes from doing as good as those teams against the rest of the league. Being consistant, in beating the teams we are expected to beat. To do that we need goals & not just enough but a strong positive goal balance that gets the rest of the league worrying about us before a match.

Right now any team can reasonalbly expect to restrict us to a single goal or two and that gives them confidence.
    Our defence & midfield is as good as any in the league. WE really need a set of strikers that put fear into the opposition.

Everything else will fall into place.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Thu Nov 04 2010, 22:29

cynicsid wrote:Thats just about how I see it as well Ion.

Let us hope that it's seen that way by all mate, particularly if we hit a trouble patch. You probably remember as well as I do, how everything was euphoria under Jol, until he didn't get where we wanted to be fast enough for some. I'd be heartbroken if all the hard work, to date, comes unstuck because of the impatience from some quarters. It's tantalising how close we are, all it needs is a bit of time. Everything I'm reading, about the players, is that they are unified in what they want to achieve at Spurs.

They want it as much as we do.

It's a pitty because our strikers should be a lot better than they are performing right now but I dont think they are going to turn it around any time soon.

I agree mate, that's the main reason I see to us needing to move at least 2 on. As much as I like Crouch, I can only see him being used as the bench striker. If he was in gridiron he'd be classed as 'Special Teams', brought on to try something different if the tried and trusted isn't working. He's just too weak in the important area of finishing.

Keane, for my money, is on borrowed time. He doesn't fit into either the managers plans or those of the fans really. He's been a great servant but he'll never spearhead a strikeforce challenging for the title, he doesn't even give you that 'something different' that Crouch does.

Pav, I believe, will be the other to go. He's another support striker who will always play a secondary role. I'd choose him to start ahead of Crouch more often than not, but I don't think he's good enough to replace Crouch as that 'something different'. IMO, his future at Spurs will depend on whether he can forge a partnership with whoever we bring in to replace Keane. That's if Defoe doesn't do it first. IF JD does then Pav will be gone.

Personally, I think we should be looking for 2 strikers and I wasn't joking too much when I wrote the Eduardo post. He showed, at the goons, that the ability was there, it took him a while to get over the break but he looks like he's there now and playing alongside Moddle, Krankjar and Charlie might just have some appeal for him. No harm in trying eh?

And just think how it'll send the goons to chewing the legs off their sideboards!!
    lmao lmao lmao lmao

The danger of course is that we will start loosing players, I dont mean Bale and other 1sr choices but players like Kranjca and Bentley & O'Hara who are of major importance because as they push for a start they push the current team to do better and better all the time.

True mate, but I also agree with Yid in that, if there is better quality (or better potential) out there then maybe that is the way to go. We have a huge midfield really and players like that will not be happy playing bit part roles. They're not learning their trade but are in their prime and wanting first team Football. If they're 3rd or 4th choice at Spurs then they'll go where they're 1st choice.
    This is where the difficulty of squad management comes in and rotation plays its part. Going out of the CC so early hampered our ability to give these players an opportunity to showcase and push for a first team shot. Maybe they'll get a go in the early rounds of the FA Cup. These players are high quality pro's, some of them Internationals and that wouldn't demean the trophy, even if they are not first choice.
    I have to admit that I'd hate to see Kranky go. I'm also being won over ........ Again ......... by JJ. He's played consistently well for the last half dozen games. Can you remember the last time we ever said that?
    Bentley I wouldn't lose sleep over TBH, O'Hara I'd be in two minds about. For me, he is to Spurs what Fletcher is to Utd.

If our strikers were performing better we could run the risk of playing these fringe players a bit more and therefore keep the whole squad happier and lets face it better prepared to be called on.

Absolutely. I don't think our strikers will ever be what is required though mate. None of them is really the goal machine required to challenge for the top. Chelsea have Drogba and an only slightly less effective Anelka.

Told you we should have bought him!

Utd had Rooney last season and Ronaldo the previous one.

As they are the only two who really challenged for the title, I'll not mention anyone else.

Only Defoe made anywhere near 20 goals, last season, and even he had some lean spells.

Who knows though. Maybe Defoe will be the catalyst that sparks a few goals more from the others. Maybe Crouch will try the Charles Atlas regime and put enough power into his legs to be able to kick a ball hard enough to actually cross a goal line.

Currently we have had a couple of bad CL matches and lets face it, in Wigan West Ham & Everton we have missed out on 8 points we really should of got ( we scored 1 goal in those 3 games). It's those results changing that will make all the difference, Facing the goons and chelsea while we are about level on points is a lot easier than being several behind, same goes for Man U. We need the confidence of knowing we are unlikly to cock it up before we will be on level terms mentally and that confidence comes from doing as good as those teams against the rest of the league. Being consistant, in beating the teams we are expected to beat. To do that we need goals & not just enough but a strong positive goal balance that gets the rest of the league worrying about us before a match.

You said it.

Right now any team can reasonalbly expect to restrict us to a single goal or two and that gives them confidence.
    Our defence & midfield is as good as any in the league. WE really need a set of strikers that put fear into the opposition.

I like the sound of this African guy playing at Marseilles. Powerful, fast, good in the air and has an eye for goal. I'd like to see us with some real power up front.
    And I really am warming to the idea of Eduardo too. Power and guile up front, with the kind of service we can provide, would yeild a real glut of goals. We wouldn't be breaking the bank for these two either.
    I also think that the advent of Eduardo would keep Defoe firmly on his toes.

Everything else will fall into place.

Totally with you there Sid and I think you've found the therapist ............... Winning. It's habit forming, has players eager to play and wanting the ball, it gives them license to express themselves and has the fringe players clamouring for the chance to be part of it, to share the Glory.
    Complete, healthy competition. I believe, as you do, that a quality strike partnership will probably bring all of that to come to pass.

Normally I'm pretty laid back about signings but I now feel it is imperative that we bring in at least one quality striker. I'd feel better about 2 though. January would be fantastic, particularly if we stay in touching distance of the top, as the right signing could see us put together a run that will frighten the bejesus out of all and sundry and will put us back in the CL.
    If we can't get one until the closed season then we can only hope our strikers start to fire and soon.

We're so close though that it gives me goosebumps.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Thu Nov 04 2010, 23:10

ionman34 wrote:

I still maintain that this squad is a hop, skip and jump away from being the finished article. Not a lot to do to get the team correct ...............

A couple of Strikers and a therapist eh?

One world class striker should do it, you all know my feelings on the matter so i wont mention the Drogba type needed lol!

As for the game on Tuesday one thing that we did so well was pressing the other team, ive not seen us do that all season, yea we've had some decent performances along the way nothing spectacular imo but Tuesday night unlined the fact that no matter what team we field we can play when we have to, i don't know if it was the occassion of it all that got the team playing so well or not but for me it's proof that we dont need to buy 3 defenders and 3 strikers, all we need is one decent world class striker, the defence for the most part is good.

I'm hoping this Victory over Inter will install the Confidence in the team to now push on and make our own destiny in the prem and not rely on citeh to fook up.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17 2024, 21:46