The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
My views EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
My views EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
My views EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
My views EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
My views EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
My views EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
My views EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
My views EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
My views EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

My views Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+3
LOBO
ionman34
djfitzo
7 posters

My views

djfitzo
    International
    International

My views Empty My views

Post by djfitzo Sun Nov 21 2010, 19:32

For those of you that think I only see the best of Spurs and Harry and I have to admit, I always try to put a positive spin on our performances, I have to mention 2 players yesterday.

Modric, for someone that normally never gives the ball away, 3/4 times yesterday he sold us short on passes, maybe its because of tiredness (midweek Internationals etc) but because of his overall displays, I can forgive him for his not so good performance yesterday.

Ekotto, now if we are to become a regular top 4 team, we have to get a better left back. His casual approach is costing us goals, how can someone be so poor in one half and brilliant the next? What does everyone else think about Ekotto?

ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

My views Empty Re: My views

Post by ionman34 Sun Nov 21 2010, 20:52

djfitzo wrote:For those of you that think I only see the best of Spurs and Harry and I have to admit, I always try to put a positive spin on our performances, I have to mention 2 players yesterday.

Modric, for someone that normally never gives the ball away, 3/4 times yesterday he sold us short on passes, maybe its because of tiredness (midweek Internationals etc) but because of his overall displays, I can forgive him for his not so good performance yesterday.

Ekotto, now if we are to become a regular top 4 team, we have to get a better left back. His casual approach is costing us goals, how can someone be so poor in one half and brilliant the next? What does everyone else think about Ekotto?

To be honest with you DJ, I thought Modric was excellent in the second half. When we got the ball to him I loved watching his driving runs into their third, he scared the bejesus out of them. Let's not forget that it was one of those driving runs that set up our second, winning the freekick in a very dangerous area. Yes, a few of his passes went astray, but they are far more noticable because they are so rare.

Considering the good he did, I think we can forgive him those few indiscretions. It's not like they're that commonplace.

As to Ekotto. I am a huge fan of his too. I think there's only one left back better than him and that is Cole. I know he has his moments but he is more often that not, for me, a big asset to the team.
    I see a supreme confidence in him that, at times, spills over into arrogance which affects his game. If Benny, and Harry, can temper that arrogance, then I think he will surpass Cole. I think Ekotto has everything in his game but, let's not forget, that he is still learning. Full focus is part of that learning curve.

He'll get there, I'm confident of that. I really believe that he will become a World Class fullback as he matures.

I understand your positive spin on our performances DJ, I share in them mostly. We seem to have forgotten just how young a team this is. Christ, Bale is lauded as World Class already and he couldn't get into a Nightclub in many places!

This team has been through a severe learning curve don't you think? Many of them were present when we looked odds on to go down, they were there last term when we had almost the exact opposite scenario. They've had to learn to dig deep and fight for their survival, then learn to deal with the heady heights of playing some of the best teams in the World.

Then they beat the European champions with a performance of skill, drama and, mostly, power. Then they go and do what no Spurs side, in the previous 17 years, has done. Beat the goons in their own patch.

You know what this tells me? It tells me that they are learning their lessons well. Alright, they've dropped a few clangers but who expects perfection from a youngster learning his trade? sh*t, many of them haven't even finished growing yet. How can we expect a full mental maturity when they're still growing out of their clothes?

But it is coming to them fast. An excellent home performance followed by a superb show of resilience, skill, determination and, ultimately, a winning mentality. They smelt blood as soon as the second half whistle blew and they went after it. Once they'd sussed out the problems with the formation, and made the appropriate changes, they then dealt with the goon attacking threat. OK there were a few nail biters but it's the goons at home. Who expected otherwise.
    But the team regrouped and played through Ar5ena1. We didn't resort to the pumped ball to Crouch, we hit them with incisive, on the ground Football that had them all over the place. They want to craft a 20 pass goal with pretty Football, We're aiming to play fast, powerful, cut-you-to-ribbons Football that takes your breath away.

It seems that Harry is learning fast too. He totally outmaneuvered 'Man who sucks Lemons' with his tactics and adaptability. The goons didn't, or couldn't, adapt to our changes and paid for it. We, on the other hand adapted and strangled their attacking threat. They brought Crystal Ken on and his only contribution of note was to give us a freekick.

It's up to the individual as to what they want to see, but I'd rather watch us put together a 5 pass move, that cuts their heart out, than a 20 pass move that leaves them chasing shadows. Maybe I'm a bit blood thirsty but I like our way better ......................

Lots better.

LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Sun Nov 21 2010, 21:15

Ekotto does have a bit of the Chimbonda's about him sometimes, he tackles hard which i like but he really does need to work on his clearances sometimes and so kaboul, but overall i think Ekotto is a good left back .
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sun Nov 21 2010, 23:06

Great post ion. REPPED.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sun Nov 21 2010, 23:39

Thank you Baz.
    MarkA249
    MarkA249
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by MarkA249 Mon Nov 22 2010, 00:24

Ekotto is dodgy as a kebab from my local indian Cole is better Evra is better Clichy is better i think Gibbs will be better Baines is better Bridge is better a lot r better than Ekotto so agrre with u DJ need a better left back dont agree with ion about him getting better think hes at full whack now If he becomes a world class left back ill bear my ass in wh smiths window lol!
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Mon Nov 22 2010, 07:55

MarkA249 wrote:Ekotto is dodgy as a kebab from my local indian Cole is better Evra is better Clichy is better i think Gibbs will be better Baines is better Bridge is better a lot r better than Ekotto so agrre with u DJ need a better left back dont agree with ion about him getting better think hes at full whack now If he becomes a world class left back ill bear my ass in wh smiths window lol!

Send me the pictures then Mark. I know a guy who can get them up to poster size.

I'll make ya famous!!

Post by Guest Mon Nov 22 2010, 09:41

i just wish he wouldnt just boot the ball up the feild. it gives the other team posseion.

sayin that i think hes a decent left back
    philip
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Post by philip Mon Nov 22 2010, 12:37

I think Benny is generally a good player apart from occasion lapse of concetration

One player who worries me most is Hutton, he hardly tackles, poor positioning all the time. Yes we need to replace the right back not left back
    MarkA249
    MarkA249
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by MarkA249 Mon Nov 22 2010, 19:18

Thanks ION but think my ass is already poster size lol! as for been famous could not handle it all these wannabe wags who needs them lol!
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Mon Nov 22 2010, 20:05

philip wrote:I think Benny is generally a good player apart from occasion lapse of concetration

One player who worries me most is Hutton, he hardly tackles, poor positioning all the time. Yes we need to replace the right back not left back

To be honest Phil, I rate Hutton and he was injured when the scum scored their second goal. Last week againt Blackburn he made three great covering tackles in the box. Whereas Ekotto waited for Nasri to run before he set off, he even had time to step up and catch him offside, then to not even attempt to clear Nasris shot was strange.

However, if anyone can wake him from his slumber, its Harry, because he has everything in his locker physically to be top drawer.

ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Tue Nov 23 2010, 01:09

djfitzo wrote: Whereas Ekotto waited for Nasri to run before he set off, he even had time to step up and catch him offside, then to not even attempt to clear Nasris shot was strange.

I thought so too......Benny should've been doing a Michael Dawson to cut out Nasri's pass into our net , sliding in against the goal post to cut out the pass into our unguarded net rather than thinking the Goon wasnt gonna make it ...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07 2024, 20:09