The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
TEAM TACTICS EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
TEAM TACTICS EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
TEAM TACTICS EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
TEAM TACTICS EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
TEAM TACTICS EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
TEAM TACTICS EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
TEAM TACTICS EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
TEAM TACTICS EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
TEAM TACTICS EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

TEAM TACTICS Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

3 posters

TEAM TACTICS

SuneJim
    SuneJim
    Champions League
    Champions League

TEAM TACTICS Empty TEAM TACTICS

Post by SuneJim Wed Dec 01 2010, 02:44

Now i know this may seem a bit ridiculous questioning tactics with recent results but i'm still a little worried.

Let's start with the 4-2 against Blackburn. Great win & i know we could say we'd taken our foot of the pedal at 4-0, but the fact of the matter is they could have easily had a few more themselves with two cleared off the line & chances wasted by them. Yes we missed a pen & a more chances but that game could have been 7-7 Reason to open in midfield!

Then the 3-2 win at The Kebab's"R"Us Stadium, fantastic i really don't want to put the dampeners on that result. But let's be honest shall we,,, it could have been 5-0 by half time. Reason to open in midfield! Second half VD Vaart on right tucked in & we had some depth in the midfield & we weren't turned inside out, we covered each other.

Not going to waste my time talking about Werder Bremen because i'm not sure they were even trying lol.

2-1 win against Liverpool good result for sure, but again could have been so different if Torres & Maxi Rodriguez had there shooting boots on. Again to open in midfield. Lennon & Bale hugging the touch lines & Kuyt & Maxi cutting in & over running Modric & Palacios.

Ok we're doing well & i really don't want to throw a spanner in the works but we can't keep giving teams head starts. We have to close down the midfield at times.

Long ball to Crouch, i've touched on this in another post but i'm getting sick & tired of seeing a long ball punted into Crouch from deep by Assou-Ekotto & Hutton it just doesn't work. Yes we've scored goals from his knock downs but when crosses have come in from the bylines mainly. I've noticed Kaboul doing it all the time as well & all that happens then is the ball goes through to the keeper or out for a goal kick.

Two things i really don't like about the team & things i worry we'll get found out with all to soon & i don't know if we have a Plan B

ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

TEAM TACTICS Empty Re: TEAM TACTICS

Post by ArnieArdiles Wed Dec 01 2010, 03:36

That's a good post Jim....

For all the plaudits our play is receiving of late, I'd be far happier if over the next few games we were to rack up a couple of boring 1-0 wins in a Mourhinoesque like fashion ...Get into the lead then strangle the life out of the game , if only for my ticker ! affraid

I hear you with your long ball concerns ...If its used sporadicaly, then Im fine with it and I do believe with the ommisions of Dawson and Huddlestone from the team we have seen it less.......
    All to often we use it when our opponents are defending their third and are all set for it and for me thats wrong...However, using it to catch an attacking opponent on the hop like we did for the Lennon goal against Pool is justified ..

I also have been saying that Bale and Lennon have to be more than just wingers , the best wingers usualy are those that also display their skills infield too and hopefully with, Lennon's confidence returning and him getting over his groin problem, we will see more of this as we have recently ....I want to see more from Bale down the middle , i.e. goal versus the a*se and Lennons winner and last minute run at the Pool defence ....

We're not far off , just need to tighten up with some clean sheets and Birmingham away with their meagre 7 goals scored at home this season would be a good start... coys !!

Post by Guest Wed Dec 01 2010, 03:42

if i wrote this post dj and lew would be moaning at me lol

its good that other people see all this aswell. To think the worst liverpool team in recent years could of been out of site before we scored. blackburn should of scored at least 3 goals.

harry needs to use hes subs more.

big test on saturday. birmingham away. we dont tend to win there so this wil be a big win if we can manange it
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed Dec 01 2010, 04:11

Arnie Wrote We're not far off , just need to tighten up with some clean sheets and Birmingham away with their meagre 7 goals scored at home this season would be a good start... coys !!

Birmingham have been a bit of A bogey team for us though Arnie.

Post by Guest Wed Dec 01 2010, 04:21

if we can win this 1 baz it will be a big 3 points for us. then we got our routine 3 points aganst the chavs lol im prob only 1 hoping terrys back as he never has a good game aganst us at the lane
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed Dec 01 2010, 04:56

Lets hope Lought.

Post by Guest Wed Dec 01 2010, 05:55

Loughtonlegend wrote:if i wrote this post dj and lew would be moaning at me lol

its good that other people see all this aswell. To think the worst liverpool team in recent years could of been out of site before we scored. blackburn should of scored at least 3 goals.

harry needs to use hes subs more.

big test on saturday. birmingham away. we dont tend to win there so this wil be a big win if we can manange it

Not really lought ! i have said its everyones right to have a go on here about the team they support, if you want the absolute truth i am sick of players like palacios,modric and lennon needlessly giving the ball back to the opposition and put us on the back foot again, but we are still winning so i cant complain.

I only heard the liverpool game on radio 5 but it was mentioned that we break down an attack, and then give the ball back to opposition to help them mount another one.

The thing is we seem to be displaying character, we never give up, so you have to excuse the lads for these little indiscretions, they deserve the kudos they are getting at the moment and i for one are not going to put a dampener on it by having a moan about giving ball possession away so cheaply.

I,ll just sit back, stay quiet and enjoy the rollercoaster ride....you know its never been easy being a tottenham supporter.

Post by Guest Wed Dec 01 2010, 06:05

lew lucky you didnt watch the 1st half. you would of though wp was wearin a red shirt. time after time he gave the ball back the liverpool. there was 1 time it seemed harder to pass to them then our own players but wp still managed it lol

i hope jenas comes back soon. and then hopefully see more of sandro to see if hes up for it. wp form been poor for to long now
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Dec 02 2010, 05:22

BazSpur wrote:Arnie Wrote We're not far off , just need to tighten up with some clean sheets and Birmingham away with their meagre 7 goals scored at home this season would be a good start... coys !!

Birmingham have been a bit of A bogey team for us though Arnie.

There a tough opponent Baz but I expect nothing less than a win and hoping for a clean sheet cos they're not all that upfront.. ...If they score more than one against us like the free scoring Bolton Barcelona Wanderers recently did , then it means we're really really bad at defending ....
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Dec 02 2010, 05:28

Bolton Barcelona Wanderers lol. Have a rep point for that Arnie.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Dec 02 2010, 05:52

cheers Baz ....

Have to give it to them .... They've scored some cracking goals the past few weeks .. Owen Coyle is showing all these managers who dont like to have their team express themselves the way forward ...Gary Megson was killing that club and the supporters were not turning up and now they're buzzing ....
    Ian Holloway himself has said he was into long ball football up untill a couple of seasons back ..Its why the premeirship is so much better this season with teams playing it on the deck , add the work of De Matteo at WBA too.....

This is a tactics thread and Im a little suprised not many respondents to it .... I think when we're not picking up points we like to scapegoat certain individuals and when we're winning , we bury our heads in the sand regarding our teams deficiencies ...

Dont get me wrong , we're playing some great football but at times it's individual brilliance and team spirit rather than team play that gets us the extra points .....
    For me, we still do give the ball away when not under any pressure with a bad pass ...We do play a percentage ball when we could carry on with possesion and our set pieces are not bringing in any positive results other than the occasional handball in the opponents defensive wall lol

I think it were VDV who recently said , "Harry dont do much tactics and the clipboard is rarely used in the dressing room "...

Harry is a motivator , he's said so himself , "we play with two wingers and we have a go"... But it must be a concern as to why we're going behind in so many of our games and Im hoping Harry and Co are looking into this .....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17 2024, 20:16