The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
we was lucky EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
we was lucky EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
we was lucky EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
we was lucky EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
we was lucky EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
we was lucky EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
we was lucky EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
we was lucky EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
we was lucky EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

we was lucky Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+4
robspurs
cynicsid
BazSpur
shearspur
8 posters

we was lucky

we was lucky Empty we was lucky

Post by Guest Fri Mar 11 2011, 04:30

a spurs fan on talksport just said we was lucky last night

we played really well in the 1st leg

but last night ac milan counterd for our long ball to crouch game.

we played the same tactics that didnt work. we was lucky ac milan didnt score.

harry should of changed tactics. defoe would of run them old men ragged.

ac milan defenders coped with crouch easy last night

shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

we was lucky Empty Re: we was lucky

Post by shearspur Fri Mar 11 2011, 05:25

i will take lucky now and again lought, we had our share of no luck in games before (blackpool ). hell just enjoy the moment mate its not even 24hrs old yet
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Fri Mar 11 2011, 05:40

Now and then you need a huge slice of luck in cup games. Barcelona had theirs against Arsenal if Bendtner had scored like he really should have Barca were out.

Post by Guest Fri Mar 11 2011, 05:48

yea ill take the luck everyday. it just felt like an anti climax last night. i was hoping we would take the game to them and try and score
    cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by cynicsid Fri Mar 11 2011, 07:01

I thought they played out of their skins and we played well to contain them. We had an attacking line up that had to change to a defensive game, so the lads had to adapt. They did that well by use of LOADS OF BALLS.

I thought we were great.
    robspurs
    robspurs
    4th Division
    4th Division

Post by robspurs Fri Mar 11 2011, 08:12

all I can say is Gomes can thank Gallas that we didn't concide after he went walkies!
    That Damned Mark
    That Damned Mark
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Post by That Damned Mark Fri Mar 11 2011, 08:57

BazSpur wrote:Now and then you need a huge slice of luck in cup games. Barcelona had theirs against Arsenal if Bendtner had scored like he really should have Barca were out.

Rep for Baz for that one.

Even Long John Silver would have been able to control that ball on a plate to him Rolling Eyes Very Happy

I'm not sure luck played that big a part in Spurs advancing, defence did their job, not sure that that was the game plan pre-match, but what the hell! if it works that's all that matters.

Congrats on going through.

Post by Guest Fri Mar 11 2011, 09:39

We was lucky ? So what lol . . . . . . .
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Fri Mar 11 2011, 20:31

Loughtonlegend wrote:a spurs fan on talksport just said we was lucky last night

we played really well in the 1st leg

but last night ac milan counterd for our long ball to crouch game.

we played the same tactics that didnt work. we was lucky ac milan didnt score.

harry should of changed tactics. defoe would of run them old men ragged.

ac milan defenders coped with crouch easy last night

You sure it was Talksport Lought? maybe you found your way onto www.ficklefans.com

SuneJim
    SuneJim
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by SuneJim Fri Mar 11 2011, 21:15

Lucky my ass it was a great defencive performance against a team with a shed load of CL experience. This is why i get so frustrated & lose my temper on here every now & again. We limited an attack of Ibrahimovic, Pato & Robinho to a few chances, none really clear cut. Plus while they had a lot of possession we were never under constant fire. It was a game that our offencive players struggled to get a foot hold in & our defencive players stood out. Which your going to need at times in this competition.

So for me it was FAR from being lucky, we just showed we have the defencive game in our LOCKER!
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Fri Mar 11 2011, 21:52

SuneJim wrote:Lucky my ass it was a great defencive performance against a team with a shed load of CL experience. This is why i get so frustrated & lose my temper on here every now & again. We limited an attack of Ibrahimovic, Pato & Robinho to a few chances, none really clear cut. Plus while they had a lot of possession we were never under constant fire. It was a game that our offencive players struggled to get a foot hold in & our defencive players stood out. Which your going to need at times in this competition.

So for me it was FAR from being lucky, we just showed we have the defencive game in our LOCKER!

Dead right Jim, same old posters, never bloody happy. Damned if you do and damned if you dont, you can bet your life if we had gone gungo ho and lost 2-0 then they would have moaned about that too, perhaps they didnt see the bad luck we had against Blackpool and like you said, we made our own luck by a fantastic defensive performance.

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Fri Mar 11 2011, 22:42

SuneJim wrote:Lucky my ass it was a great defencive performance against a team with a shed load of CL experience. This is why i get so frustrated & lose my temper on here every now & again. We limited an attack of Ibrahimovic, Pato & Robinho to a few chances, none really clear cut. Plus while they had a lot of possession we were never under constant fire. It was a game that our offencive players struggled to get a foot hold in & our defencive players stood out. Which your going to need at times in this competition.

Repped Jim. It was a great defensive performance as you say. We had one huge slice of luck in that Gallas had the foresight to be in the right place to hook the ball out to stop a certain goal. Apart from that it was a very good containment performance.
    cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by cynicsid Fri Mar 11 2011, 23:39

Much as it pains me to say it Baz, Gallas being in the goal for the clearance was not lucky at all, he knew where to be at that time and Harry knew to take him on and to play him. No Luck, just excellent management and quality player.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat Mar 12 2011, 00:11

Fair point Sid. Lucky he was playing then. lol!
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Sat Mar 12 2011, 01:18

I wouldnt say we were lucky but for me, we were way to defensive minded from the off and our attacking play was way to predictable ... However the game plan that was chosen was the correct one because it got us what we wanted ..
    I'm not a moaner and I have been enjoying our qualification .. For the first time in 15 years, Im wanting to be chatting with Goons on their expert CL knowledge and they're either scurrying away or changing the subject ... Forever in our shadow , bah..such w*nkers...
    Loved Gomes performance bar when he came out at Pato's feet and then Gallas saved his a*se ..The back four defensive display was immense as was Sandro ahead of them ...
    Yes. a brilliant defensive grind it out victory over two legs .. 0-1 , 0- 0 and not one Spurs player was booked in either game!
    But please be honest and tell me had Milan scored their goal and maybe gone on to win it on shall we say , penalties , how many of you wouldnt be on here typing away manicly, that Harry has gone against what Spurs is all about and how we had meekly surrendered our Champions League status ..?
    Surely it were there for all to see, that we have to have better ball retention and add more to our attacking bow than just a Crouch knockdown to VDV .. ?
    Our players are our heroes ....We're , happy, because we're through, because we got the job done ..
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Sat Mar 12 2011, 01:32

ArnieArdiles wrote:I wouldnt say we were lucky but for me, we were way to defensive minded from the off and our attacking play was way to predictable ... However the game plan that was chosen was the correct one because it got us what we wanted ..
    I'm not a moaner and I have been enjoying our qualification .. For the first time in 15 years, Im wanting to be chatting with Goons on their expert CL knowledge and they're either scurrying away or changing the subject ... Forever in our shadow , bah..such w*nkers...
    Loved Gomes performance bar when he came out at Pato's feet and then Gallas saved his a*se ..The back four defensive display was immense as was Sandro ahead of them ...
    Yes. a brilliant defensive grind it out victory over two legs .. 0-1 , 0- 0 and not one Spurs player was booked in either game!
    But please be honest and tell me had Milan scored their goal and maybe gone on to win it on shall we say , penalties , how many of you wouldnt be on here typing away manicly, that Harry has gone against what Spurs is all about and how we had meekly surrendered our Champions League status ..?
    Surely it were there for all to see, that we have to have better ball retention and add more to our attacking bow than just a Crouch knockdown to VDV .. ?
    Our players are our heroes ....We're , happy, because we're through, because we got the job done ..

Arnie, i think a mixture of nerves and not having been in this position before accounted for the display. However, like I said earlier, if we have gone gung-ho and lost 2-0, would we also be saying ah well, at least we played the Spurs way.

There are times when we have to grind out a result ,especially with the personel available.

I mean, if Hudd was available with his range of passing and accuracy, we could have brought on Defoe to run the channels knowing that Tom would find him 9 times out of 10.

SuneJim
    SuneJim
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by SuneJim Sat Mar 12 2011, 01:42

cynicsid wrote:Much as it pains me to say it Baz, Gallas being in the goal for the clearance was not lucky at all, he knew where to be at that time and Harry knew to take him on and to play him. No Luck, just excellent management and quality player.

I was going to say the same thing,,,,,,, Sid. No luck involved there just a player with a life time of defending experience knowing exactly where to go. That sort of play is precisely the reason i was happy for him to join us even though he was a Gooner. Quality defending from a quality player.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Sat Mar 12 2011, 02:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80gConJMfaU

You can see as soon as Gallas realised that Pato was going to get past Gomes, he makes a bee-line for the goal and re-adjusts with the deflection, classic defending.

ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Sat Mar 12 2011, 03:14

[quote="djfitzo"]
    ArnieArdiles wrote:I wouldnt say we were lucky but for me, we were way to defensive minded from the off and our attacking play was way to predictable ... However the game plan that was chosen was the correct one because it got us what we wanted ..

Arnie, i think a mixture of nerves and not having been in this position before accounted for the display. However, like I said earlier, if we have gone gung-ho and lost 2-0, would we also be saying ah well, at least we played the Spurs way.

There are times when we have to grind out a result ,especially with the personel available.

I mean, if Hudd was available with his range of passing and accuracy, we could have brought on Defoe to run the channels knowing that Tom would find him 9 times out of 10.

Yes , I think you're right there Dave about the nerves and understandable too ...

I dont think anyone, myself included, was advocatiing going gung-ho just that we should be better with our ball retention and be having more variation to our attacking play ... To often, especialy in the first half , I felt we gave the ball up playing a percentage game to Crouch , resulting in more pressure on our defence ...
    In fact , in the recent weeks I've been advocating a more defensive approach in the premeirship when playing the weaker teams , where instead we have adopted the gung-ho approach ..The thinking is we're better than them therefore we will just go out play our attacking game, but with strikers not firing on all cylinders this has not got us the results we've all wanted ...
    When Hudd is back and if all the players are available , in the CL especialy, I really would like to see us try a six man midfield/attack as I dont think the ball retention part of our game can be as it is now....
    -------------------- Sandro
    ---------Hudd-----------------Modric

Lennon------------Vdv------------------Bale

Post by Guest Sat Mar 12 2011, 04:08

how was we lucky aganst blackpool. we was bloody awfull 1st half then they got 2 g0als and sat back and let us on to them.

when you let in 3 goals aganst a promoted team you dont derserve to win

Post by Guest Sat Mar 12 2011, 04:11

the long ball to crouch was hard to watch. im not saying going gung ho but to sit back and not attack the way we did was not a good idea. lucky for us robinino miss kicked hes shot.

dj how am i fickle because i tell it how it is. great defensive play but crouch lost out and proved hes not as good as we all think he is at holding the ball up.
    SuneJim
    SuneJim
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by SuneJim Sat Mar 12 2011, 07:38

Loughtonlegend wrote:

dj how am i fickle because i tell it how it is. .

No you don't say it HOW IT IS Lought, you say it AS YOU SEE IT. Opinions are 10 a penny & half the time can't be right or wrong just personal opinions.

Like your crap against Blackpool first half is an OPINION i don't agree with. They done to us in defence what we did to AC Milan IN MY OPINION.

Your main problem is you can't except other peoples thoughts if they differ to you & yours. The fact yours change like the wind & are harsher than most is why you get labelled fickle. Personally i just think you get just a bit carried away & see things to black & white at times. We lose we're bad, if we win we're good, clean sheet defence good, score goals attack good there's never any middle ground.

But i love your passion Mate so keep it up.

Post by Guest Sat Mar 12 2011, 08:03

welll if we play like that again we will get nocked out. i dont change my opinions on our players apart from sandro wh im glad to be proved wrong about.

crouch defoe are both not that good.

and lets be honest if ac milan had got the result they needed then we would all be moaning about how harry got it wrong..

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Sat Mar 12 2011, 18:43

dj how am i fickle because i tell it how it is

Shall I tell you why Lought, on one of the best nights I have watched Spurs in over 35 years and the fact that the thread was about Sandro, you still found time to knock Palacios, why?

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Sat Mar 12 2011, 18:47

Oh and on the Blackpool game, we had enough chances to win three games, people was comparing the luck that we DIDNT get in that game and that maybe we was due a little in the Milan game and like Jim said, you only see what you want to see, shame you cant be honest about the sitters superpav missed, instead of coming up with the "what do you expect,he dont start many games" bollox, he missed easy chances, admit it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09 2024, 05:09