The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Redknapp threatens to quit. EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Redknapp threatens to quit. EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Redknapp threatens to quit. EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Redknapp threatens to quit. EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Redknapp threatens to quit. EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Redknapp threatens to quit. EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Redknapp threatens to quit. EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Redknapp threatens to quit. EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Redknapp threatens to quit. EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Redknapp threatens to quit. Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+3
DJSR
LOBO
BazSpur
7 posters

Redknapp threatens to quit.

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Redknapp threatens to quit. Empty Redknapp threatens to quit.

Post by BazSpur Sun May 01 2011, 22:49

By ESPNsoccernet staff

Tottenham Hotspur boss Harry Redknapp
    has threatened to walk out on the club if their best players are sold
    this summer - and hit out at fans who have called for him to be sacked.Redknapp threatens to quit. Harryredknapp20101228_275x155GettyImagesHarry Redknapp has had to endure criticism as the club's fortunes have stuttered in recent months

Redknapp: Assistant "guessed" on goalSaturday's
    controversial 2-1 defeat at Chelsea means Manchester City are now firm
    favourites to take the fourth Champions League spot, and Spurs are now
    in danger of missing out on Europe altogether with Liverpool finishing
    the season strongly.PFA Player of the Year Gareth Bale and midfielder Luka Modric
    have both been linked with big money summer transfers, and Spurs may
    find it hard to hold on to them without Champions League football.Redknapp told the Sunday Mirror:
    "If you start thinking about selling your best players you might as
    well give up. What's the point in carrying on? It effectively sends out
    all the wrong signals."And when one player leaves the rest want
    to follow him straight out the door. Then you have situation where the
    quality of football goes into decline and you're going backwards on the
    pitch."I'm not sure the supporters would want to see a side whose only ambition is to secure a mid-table finish in the league."Clubs
    like Manchester United, Chelsea, Manchester City and Liverpool will not
    stand still so if the club want regular Champions League football we
    have to try and complete. I accept it's not going to be easy but you
    can't let all the good work you have done go to waste."Manchester
    City have spent a fortune trying secure a top four finish and I doubt
    they will have any hesitation doing the same this summer when the
    transfer window re-opens for business."I'm not suggesting we have
    to compete at that level because we have a very talented squad. You
    just need to add two or three players to freshen things up."Some
    fans have been heard to call for Redknapp's head in recent months -
    despite taking the club to the last-right of the Champions League."You're
    never going to please everyone are you? With success come massive
    expectations," he added. "But it doesn't detract from the fact we have
    had a terrific season."We have been in and around the top four
    for most of the campaign and reached the quarter-final of the Champions
    League against all the odds. That's some turnaround in a couple of
    years."Yet you still get people moaning, it's still not enough.
    Although I suppose if we won either the Champions league or the league
    someone would complain that we didn't win both. That's football for you."Sometimes
    I think people need to look at the bigger picture instead of talking
    rubbish. It's always easy to complain and moan about things. If we don't
    qualify for the Champions League by finishing in the top four this
    season no one will be more disappointed than I am."We are hanging
    in there and won't give up but I accept it's not going to be easy now.
    More importantly we need to focus on next season and pushing on to
    ensure we do.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Redknapp threatens to quit. Empty Re: Redknapp threatens to quit.

Post by LOBO Sun May 01 2011, 23:12

Mark my words, he will be gone come end of the season , you can't threaten to walk out if players are sold, that sort of comment you say in private to the chairmen, it looks as though he's looking for an excuse , any excuse
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Sun May 01 2011, 23:33

this is called media bullsh*t.....sunday mirror
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sun May 01 2011, 23:50

PMSL!!!

The only place where it says he will walk out is in the title. Where has he said it?

But, as usual, it's lapped up by the 'let's hae a wholesale change again' mob.

Clowns

Post by Guest Mon May 02 2011, 01:49

Clowns perhaps Ion, but is 'arry the man to take this squad on ? One,or several additions, and we are there or there abouts. Is 'arry the man to do this ? I question if he is right now . . . . ..
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Mon May 02 2011, 03:05

VisionarySound wrote:Clowns perhaps Ion, but is 'arry the man to take this squad on ?

[b]Why not Vis?

The thing that gets me here is the readiness to judge him based on a poor end of season. The entirety of last season and the majority of this season has all been forgotten because we look unlikely to qualify for the CL.

Disappointing I agree, but enough to give him the gooner without the opportunity to prove he can do it? Give me a break.

We all know his squad isn't complete. We all know that the goalkeeper, and our misfiring strikers, have cost us in the region of 15 to 20 points. We'd have the title sown up with those points.

We've had complaints that he hasn't played our top scorer but he is only hitting one in three or four games. Crouch and Defoe have had the worst season in their entire careers. We finally got the midfield weighing in with goals and the strikers dried up, no matter what combination we played them in.

And like I said before, I believe 100% that this is the sole reason for our current loss of form, belief and, ultimately, our CL aspirations. Goals win games and it's hard to believe you'll win when you don't think you'll score.

One,or several additions, and we are there or there abouts. Is 'arry the man to do this ? I question if he is right now . . . . ..

Question away mate. I bet there were a plethora of ManU fans who 'questioned' whether Fergie was the man to take them forward in his first 5 seasons. I believe their finishing positions fluctuated until he got his mix just right. Then he built a dynasty from it.

But I've said all this before, like our form of last season, and the achievements that went with it, it'll be ignored again or forgotten in the quest for greener grass.[/
    b]

Post by Guest Mon May 02 2011, 06:27

Now Ion, I know that you know that I am not one to call for a slightly more luxuriant shade of green when it comes to grass. But (always a but) the squad we have is only a few players short of being true quality. You said at the start of the season that you believed we could win the league with the squad we had back in August. We most obviously haven't but we still have a good squad. I just wonder if 'arry is the man to bring in the final few pieces of the jigsaw ? Or will he bring in players that we don't really need ? I've posted elsewhere that the end of season until August could prove to be the most important passage for Spurs for many years. Is 'arry the man to see us thro' that or not ? Our form since Christmas suggests not but I will bide my time and hold my breath and, basically, hope for the best . . . . .

Post by Guest Mon May 02 2011, 07:18

Liverpool's worst ever start in their history.
    15 points behind us at one stage.
    Now they're above us.
    And still you get told on here Harry's doing a good job.
    What at exactly ?
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon May 02 2011, 07:30

Well, I suppose IF it all goes tits up you will be able to say I told you so.

Post by Guest Mon May 02 2011, 07:49

i dont wana be right. we should be sitting at least 3rd now.

we got better players them everyonce except man u.

chelsea or a shadow of the team they once where.
    man c have been poor but not as poor as us
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Mon May 02 2011, 09:24

so what about liverpool, we had our worst start for years and harry came in and did what dalglish is doing now and you thought he was the messiah, a year on and and he took us into the champs league which we had dreamed of for years and he delivered it. now one year on and were not quite there yet , will dalglish be next year ? we got something good going on here finally and some want to dismantle that because of one dissapointing season at the tail end. please remember the wilderness years before we go down the revolving door of manager after manager again. there is plenty of good to take from this season if you scratch the surface of recent results. im unhappy the way its fizzled out but i will be there next week cheering them on.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Mon May 02 2011, 21:07

VisionarySound wrote:Now Ion, I know that you know that I am not one to call for a slightly more luxuriant shade of green when it comes to grass. But (always a but) the squad we have is only a few players short of being true quality.

[b]Been saying that for over a year now Vis.

You said at the start of the season that you believed we could win the league with the squad we had back in August. We most obviously haven't but we still have a good squad.

Let's recap on how we'd done when I made that statement. At that time our midfield couldn't buy a goal and I said that should they weigh in with 15 to 20 for the season, then we'd be up there challenging for the title because we'd made CL off the back of the goals from the strikers.

Well the midfield have scored over 20 I believe, but who saw all 4 of our strikers having the worst season of their careers? It's only Pav's goals that enable them to get into double figures in the league! Even a mediocre season for the strikers would have seen us qualify for the CL comfortably.

I was right Vis really. The squad should have been good enough but the goal scoring department went tits up in the biggest way possible.

Have you ever seen such a collapse in form from so many strikers all at the same time in one team?

I just wonder if 'arry is the man to bring in the final few pieces of the jigsaw ? Or will he bring in players that we don't really need ?

I don't honestly know mate, but until I see who he gets, and see how they perform, it's impossible to make that judgement.

I've posted elsewhere that the end of season until August could prove to be the most important passage for Spurs for many years. Is 'arry the man to see us thro' that or not ? Our form since Christmas suggests not but I will bide my time and hold my breath and, basically, hope for the best . . . . .

Our form prior to Christmas suggests otherwise. Seriously mate, I'm surprised at you. Often I've seen you advising Lought to look at the bigger picture and here you are ignoring it yourself. Granted Harry has made mistakes but so does Fergie, 'Man who sucks Lemons', even 'The Special One' has dropped clangers and still does. Yet would we sack one of these three, were they at Spurs, for not reaching the heady expectations that some fans set?
    We probably would as 'some' fans would expect the title in the first season closely followed by a Double , a treble and an English first quad all in successive seasons!

Me?, I just want to see a dynasty built at Spurs that sees us constantly challenging for the top honours every season.

And the only way for us to do that is with stability and continuity in our team and, in particular, our management structure.

This is no secret, I've been banging on about this, to no avail, since the AOHELL days.[/
    b]

Post by Guest Tue May 03 2011, 00:09

Like you Ion I want to see the dynasty built, but I have serious doubts that 'arry is the man to build it. He has certainly laid the foundations, but we can trace some of that back to Jol as well. The only players I will single out for criticism are the strikers & Gomes. The problem is the players that 'arry is linked with, only meeja speculation I know but no smoke etc, seem to players of less quality then we have. As you rightly point out no judgements can be made until August but do the club need to chance that ? I am not calling for 'arry to be sacked, I am just airing concerns that I have for the long term future of the club. We have 75% of a fantastic, triffic even, squad and some promising youngsters who have valuable 1st team experience out on loan, so with the correct additions we could be in place to go far. Exciting times and I don't wish them to be marred with incorrect decisions & selections . . . .

Post by Guest Tue May 03 2011, 02:19

so now harry saying if we buy the right players we can win the league withing 2 years lol

i got a bad feeling we will get joe cole

Post by Guest Tue May 03 2011, 02:44

Lought IMO next season is pivitol for Spurs. With the right players in we can move forward. Is 'arry the right man to be trusted with that ? At the moment I'm not sure. Rumours of linked players are just meeja speculation but there do seem to be certain players we are often linked with. I was a huge admirer of Cole but players like him are a backwards step. We don't need midfielders we need strikers, a 'keeper & some tweaking in defence. Next season will be harder than this to make C/L & compete for other honours but we aren't far short of being able to do that . . . . .

Post by Guest Tue May 03 2011, 04:13

yep we dont need many players. just a keeper and buy 2strikers and let 2 go.

i wonder what strikers he will sell. what do people make of him, not playing crouch. surley its not because of the madrid game.

i would sell crouch and keane keep pav and defoe and get in 2 strikers.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Tue May 03 2011, 04:22

Sell all four strikers ....
    Crouch 9m , Keane 6m, Pav 9m and Defoe 12m ...total = 36m

Bring in Drogba 10m , Lukaku 24m , Falcao 18m , Harry Kane youth player ... total = 52m

Total net spend 18m ....We can do this ....

Post by Guest Tue May 03 2011, 04:38

cant see all 4 going. i would love drogbra but 10 mill for 34year old. would levy go with that after all the other old players harry has brought.

falco got 4 goals at the weekend. i dont know much about lukaku.

and kane yea he should be given a chance
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Tue May 03 2011, 04:40

Vis wrote:

You said at the start of the season that you believed we could win the league with the squad we had back in August. We most obviously haven't but we still have a good squad.

Ion wrote :

Let's recap on how we'd done when I made that statement. At that time our midfield couldn't buy a goal and I said that should they weigh in with 15 to 20 for the season, then we'd be up there challenging for the title because we'd made CL off the back of the goals from the strikers.

Well the midfield have scored over 20 I believe, but who saw all 4 of our strikers having the worst season of their careers? It's only Pav's goals that enable them to get into double figures in the league! Even a mediocre season for the strikers would have seen us qualify for the CL comfortably.

I was right Vis really. The squad should have been good enough but the goal scoring department went tits up in the biggest way possible.

Have you ever seen such a collapse in form from so many strikers all at the same time in one team?

If I may say, Vis .. I too believed we could challenge for the premeirship title this season but thats had we bought in at least two new strikers and outed Crouch and another forward , probably Keane .. I wouldve seen the Pav/Keane combo as our best hope of the four but Keane's character (Dublin and his pre-match sulks for not getting picked) contributed to his poor form and put paid to that possibility ....

I just think Harry and way to many Spurs supporters too for that matter, had put to much belief in last seasons forward line..

Ion, sorry but you're wrong about the the forwards goals carrying us to the CL , their goals sure did help dont get me wrong but last season should also be remembered for the fact that every outfield Spurs player bar none, managed to get on the score sheet and also the fact that our home defence stats were our best for some 90 years!

Harry, bought in Defoe, Crouch and Keane so he obviously believed in them and this was his mistake but as you say Ion , the sheer size of their collapse could not have been forseen, not even by their most ardent critics ...
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Tue May 03 2011, 04:53

Loughtonlegend wrote:cant see all 4 going. i would love drogbra but 10 mill for 34year old. would levy go with that after all the other old players harry has brought.

falco got 4 goals at the weekend. i dont know much about lukaku.

and kane yea he should be given a chance

I wrote in the 'Dimitar Didier' thread Lought that Drogba isnt 34 until next March .... It seems alot of money but he obviously has looked after himself and has at least two more seasons, if not a third bit part one too...?

I know its not Levy's thinking spending that kind of money on an aging player but I think Anderlecht's Lukaku is a young Drogba type player and has a bright future in football ahead of him...The idea is to get them together at the club ...

Falcao has the spring in his feet of Klinsmann , he is such a livewire and will benefit having a powerful player be it Drogba or Lukaku next to him ....

They would all score goals , lots of them!

Post by Guest Tue May 03 2011, 05:06

i would love drobra at the club. if only crouch and pav could do what he does so well.

robbie keane would link up well with pav. he set pav goal in the young boys game. and also vdv has keane and vdv played in the same team yet.

as for falco and the other guy lets hope harrys been tracking them

Post by Guest Tue May 03 2011, 05:07

and your right about our strikers been poo last season aswell.

the 2nd half of last season crouch and defoe hardly scored.

it was upto pav to come into the team and hit a purple patch
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Tue May 03 2011, 05:44

It seems so easy, just bring in a keeper, a couple more strikers etc, etc, and all of a sudden problem solved, we will be up there with United and Chelsea. The problem is that we will not be the only club looking to bring in player's, your United, Chelsea, Arsenal, City, and Liverpool will all be looking to strengthen their squad's. The difference will be between us and those that finish in the top four the attraction of the Champions League therefore they will get the pick of the best, as for Liverpool, I can see them spending big in the summer in order to get back to the day's when they were a top four club and I believe players will see them as a better prospect of becoming a top four club than us. In a nutshell I do not think we will end up with the quality player's we need to break back into the top four, we are not just that big an attraction as those club's I mentioned, we will not pay the money for quality player's or the wages to attract them to the club. Harry stated that there are the player's out there, and that we could get them if we are prepared to pay the huge wages and I can not see Levy doing that.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Tue May 03 2011, 05:49

we will not pay the money for quality player's or the wages to attract them to the club.

And there you have it in a nutshell Len. That is the root to all our problems when it comes to attracting real quality.That's the reason we will always be left with the Kenwynne jones and the Crouch's of this World.
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Tue May 03 2011, 06:13

but we still spend more than a*se and they constantly finish above us so money is not always the answer, it is finding quality to be nurtured at the club and getting them blooded at spurs instead of constantly finding them and loaning them out. i bet most of the ones we buy then send out are so disillusioned that they never get any affinity to spurs and probably feel more wanted by their loan clubs, and feel they will never get a chance because while their on loan we are still bloody buying has beens for their positions ahead of them. how would you feel ?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19 2024, 16:20