The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Rep points? EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Rep points? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Rep points? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Rep points? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Rep points? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Rep points? EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Rep points? EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Rep points? EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Rep points? EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Rep points? Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+4
cstmrsking
LOBO
ionman34
BazSpur
8 posters

Rep points?

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Rep points? Empty Rep points?

Post by BazSpur Wed Aug 03 2011, 02:10

Mods and Admin have been discussing getting rid of the Rep system. From my point of view, they are not used much now anyway but the main reason is I think it is detrimental to attracting new members and it really is just a status symbol with no real value. We already have a ranking system anyway with the Leagues rankings for posters. And be honest if you feel a post is good you can say so but for prospective members looking in it could look like they have a lot of catching up to do. not only that but it can look very clique, a bit like an old boys network on here. We welcome any views you may have on this obviously. So, lets discuss it.

Rep points? Empty Re: Rep points?

Post by Guest Wed Aug 03 2011, 02:16

REPPED!!!

Do what you like Baz, this place has gone to the dogs anyway!
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Wed Aug 03 2011, 02:20

I'd hate to think that the rep system is intimidating newer posters mate, but I think the only way to know for sure is to pursuade one of our 'readers' to let us know whether this does have an effect. If it does then by all means do away with it IMO.

As you say, we can always post our approval of a post on here or, if not here, then PM the poster with our praise.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Wed Aug 03 2011, 02:21

MAXIMUS wrote:REPPED!!!

Do what you like Baz, this place has gone to the dogs anyway!

Why?
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Wed Aug 03 2011, 02:34

were all going to the dogs?

I love dog racing

crystal palace ere we come affraid
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed Aug 03 2011, 02:35

Why do you say that Max? You sound like Legend.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Wed Aug 03 2011, 02:41

I think Baz the only way to get new members is to advertise the fact your here .

Post by Guest Wed Aug 03 2011, 02:43

they moan when the gooners post on here and now they aint people or still moaning.

remember last summer hardly any post during pre season. this summer been differnt and people or posting.

a lot of the people who wanted them off and now they are gone they stop posting themselfs. the mods cant win.

imo the boards latley have been active wich can only be good so for the people that or moaning what do they want,

go on vital spurs you think they all sayin positve things because they aint.

theres not to much to be positve a about watching harry trying to decided what striker he wants. he should of nown this ages ago then gone and got him no matter how much he cost.

bentley cost 18 mill so your going to expect to pay 25 mill for decent striker or otherwise give kane a chance.

its funny but now we need aplayer who can play up top on hes own and we sold darren bent. he would be ideal
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed Aug 03 2011, 02:58

Advertising costs money Lobs.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Wed Aug 03 2011, 04:32

BazSpur wrote:Advertising costs money Lobs.
    google free advertising on the net

facebook ? is free
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed Aug 03 2011, 04:36

i'm going to do a facebook promotion push nearer the season kick off Lobs I'll look into the advertising though.
    cstmrsking
    cstmrsking
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by cstmrsking Wed Aug 03 2011, 07:03

Rep-utation Points. As a bit of an outsider. I do feel that the Rep system can come across as cliquey, I'm sure thats not the case and would never happen on here!
    But the question is, what really is the point?
    You can tell a good poster by the amount of post/threads they start and how well followed that thread is.
    It's up to the reader if they ;ike what they read or not, I by a paper I have read if I like what I read, I dont then go onto the papers site to big him up with a Rep I say R.E.P. violin flowers

With Regards to getting a few more on here. I have just taken a look at how many registered users you have signed approx 84. But how many are active, not many.
    Baz, it maybe an idea to contact those from time to time with an update, maybe send them the tile of a thread and ask them to log in for there response. Send them a Billy Nic News Letter / update. Its free.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed Aug 03 2011, 07:49

Some good ideas Kingy I'll do that. Maybe send out a news letter every now and then.
    cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by cynicsid Wed Aug 03 2011, 10:08

Bang on Guv. What is a new poster suppose to think when the likley hood is he will never catch up.

It's a flawed system anyway. my points are among the lowest but I think I'm great.
    Snigger

Post by Guest Wed Aug 03 2011, 10:35

its its fine by me if you want to rmeove them.

some valid points from sid and kingy
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Wed Aug 03 2011, 20:56

do people really come on here and look at rep points and feel intimidated by them ? truth is they prob dont even know what they are or for, cos when you think about it a lot of us didnt know about them until it was brought up at times and posters were told about it and how to give them.im not bothered either way baz and to be honest very rarely think / look at them. until posters have moaned about them being nicked off them i have usually forgotten about the system. up to you mods but i dont think it will suddenly up the people joining.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Thu Aug 04 2011, 15:23

shearspur wrote:do people really come on here and look at rep points and feel intimidated by them ? truth is they prob dont even know what they are or for, cos when you think about it a lot of us didnt know about them until it was brought up at times and posters were told about it and how to give them.im not bothered either way baz and to be honest very rarely think / look at them. until posters have moaned about them being nicked off them i have usually forgotten about the system. up to you mods but i dont think it will suddenly up the people joining.

That's why I said we should 'persuade' one or three of the non-posters to let us know their thoughts. It's all well and good speculating about it, it's better to have conclusive proof.

They don't have to post it up on here Baz, a PM from yourself should help.

Additionally, if the rep system is not the reason for their retiscence, maybe they can enlighten you on what is.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Aug 04 2011, 21:13

Do you mean non posters as in those that have joined but don't post? I am more worried about those that haven't joined ion. Ones that have joined but don't post would have other reasons why they don't post, maybe it's not what they thought or don't have the time, who knows? I suppose I could send a mass email asking why non posters don't post but just wonder how many would actually bother to answer. Jim gave his thoughts on the rep system some time ago and made it clear in his mind the rep system was part of the reason guests looking in may not want to join. How many other forums on the net have a rep point system? Not many that I know of. Views on some posts are in the hundreds now even allowing for registered members viewing those posts it wouldn't amount to that many views so it can only be guests that bump up the views. So why are they not registering? I don't know but there must be reasons.
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Thu Aug 04 2011, 21:30

I do not post as much as other posters Baz, because half the time I do not know what to say. All the Lads on here are up to date with todays game and players, I am affraid I live in the past because that is where my greatest memories of Spurs are, wrong I know. I still love the Spurs as much as anyone else, and perhaps I keep making comparison's with the team of today to those teams of yesteryear which can become a bit booring to the reader, hence, I do not have as many Rep point's as other posters who make some great contributions to the board, and help me keep up to date with what is going on with the Spurs of today. I think the rep point's idea is a good one because there are those that put a lot of thought into what they say although I may not always agree with what they say, and they deserve some sort of recognition. But, I will go along with what ever is decided by you and all the other members Baz, either way, you all make it a great board to visit. Now I am expecting dozens of Rep point's for this post, if I do not get any, then I am all for scrapping the stupid idea, Lol.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Aug 04 2011, 21:37

Lol Len, thanks for the feedback mate and it is duly noted. Don't worry fella I also live in the past a lot with Spurs teams and players and rely on people like ion, Arnie and Lought to keep me updated with information on players that are being talked about as possible new players for Spurs.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Aug 04 2011, 21:48

BazSpur wrote:Do you mean non posters as in those that have joined but don't post? I am more worried about those that haven't joined ion. Ones that have joined but don't post would have other reasons why they don't post, maybe it's not what they thought or don't have the time, who knows? I suppose I could send a mass email asking why non posters don't post but just wonder how many would actually bother to answer. Jim gave his thoughts on the rep system some time ago and made it clear in his mind the rep system was part of the reason guests looking in may not want to join. How many other forums on the net have a rep point system? Not many that I know of. Views on some posts are in the hundreds now even allowing for registered members viewing those posts it wouldn't amount to that many views so it can only be guests that bump up the views. So why are they not registering? I don't know but there must be reasons.

I actualy think its us the users that bump up the views and its the same on most forums ...

For example, my time spent on the board, I could visit a thread on how many occasions? Every time a new post is added on to a thread I visit that thread .....

Its the same with Lew and his claim that his threads get zillions of views and crushes all others in the viewing numbers game... It's obvious there that Lew is pushing up the numbers with his constant frantic clicking to view the thread .He dont have me fooled !
    lmao

Post by Guest Thu Aug 04 2011, 22:01

ArnieArdiles wrote:
    BazSpur wrote:Do you mean non posters as in those that have joined but don't post? I am more worried about those that haven't joined ion. Ones that have joined but don't post would have other reasons why they don't post, maybe it's not what they thought or don't have the time, who knows? I suppose I could send a mass email asking why non posters don't post but just wonder how many would actually bother to answer. Jim gave his thoughts on the rep system some time ago and made it clear in his mind the rep system was part of the reason guests looking in may not want to join. How many other forums on the net have a rep point system? Not many that I know of. Views on some posts are in the hundreds now even allowing for registered members viewing those posts it wouldn't amount to that many views so it can only be guests that bump up the views. So why are they not registering? I don't know but there must be reasons.

I actualy think its us the users that bump up the views and its the same on most forums ...

For example, my time spent on the board, I could visit a thread on how many occasions? Every time a new post is added on to a thread I visit that thread .....

Its the same with Lew and his claim that his threads get zillions of views and crushes all others in the viewing numbers game... It's obvious there that Lew is pushing up the numbers with his constant frantic clicking to view the thread .He dont have me fooled !
    lmao

Arnie, now this is what gets me annoyed, whether in jest or not i dont keep clicking on my threads to get the view ratings up, ffs thats absolutely pathetic.
    If you read what i stated correctly i said i my posts must be of some interest because of the views.
    Also i never claimed to crush all others at all, at least stick to the facts.
    Of course i reply to answers in my threads and thats easily done by clicking on view your posts, and the orange box shows you have a reply, otherwise if not i generally click on spurs chat and see what the news is.
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Thu Aug 04 2011, 22:18

Baz, I do not think posters know what to talk about at the moment, all we have had to talk about is will Modric go or will he stay, no new players comeing in, none leaving, Harry still the manager, so I believe that once something exciting happens people will start posting. The board is a bit like a tree mate, dormant untill the start of it's season, then watch it bloom, and once our season kicks off, the board will do the same. Stupid I know but, when we had the old AOL board we had the likes of, and excuse my Spelling, Wannop, Tom and was it Kate the Hammer supporters, Steve from Leeds, Arsenal Steve, that idiot Arsenal supporter that loved winding people up, he had some number after his board name, the other idiot from Wigan, so whether it was a great post or a post from the likes of those Arsenal or Wigan idiots, there was always something to post about. In all I think Tom posted some good topics, and Wannop bless him did give us a laugh, good humoured banter if you like. We were well rid of those Arsenal and Wigan supporters, they were nasty, but as for the rest, I did not see a problem, so is it a lack of banter on the board?.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Aug 04 2011, 22:18

lewspurs wrote:
    ArnieArdiles wrote:

lmao

Arnie, now this is what gets me annoyed, whether in jest or not i dont keep clicking on my threads to get the view ratings up, ffs thats absolutely pathetic.
    If you read what i stated correctly i said i my posts must be of some interest because of the views.
    Also i never claimed to crush all others at all, at least stick to the facts.
    Of course i reply to answers in my threads and thats easily done by clicking on view your posts, and the orange box shows you have a reply, otherwise if not i generally click on spurs chat and see what the news is.

Oh whats that I got on the end of my line ? Fishing

Looks like a Humourbypasscarp to me. Wink

Post by Guest Thu Aug 04 2011, 23:22

Well glad you found it funny but others on here might just believe it, and it would be totally unjustified.
    Look arnie, all the arguments about the new things going on within the forum, duplication and things in their correct order doesnt bother me in the slightest, i was initially annoyed about being the only one picked up on duplication, simply because it happened some time ago too.
    As i see it, its my choice to look in and make a comment or not, and thats where i am at the moment , its really no big deal, what the mods do with any comments i make is up to them.
    i dont want to be seen as trying to start everything up again, just stating facts.

Be happy ! Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02 2024, 23:07