The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Man U Game EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Man U Game EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Man U Game EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Man U Game EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Man U Game EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Man U Game EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Man U Game EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Man U Game EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Man U Game EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Man U Game Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

5 posters

Man U Game

Man U Game Empty Man U Game

Post by Guest Fri Apr 23 2010, 00:18

2010-04-22 09:28:16

Stick or twist against UTD?

by Alan the librarian push and run spurs news.

OK, I think having had a few days of posting relatively meaningless articles to try and take my mind off the game on Saturday, I think I am ready to talk about it if you are.

After two stunning performances, Harry's selection dilemma is whether to stick to the same side who deservedly beat Chelsea and Arsenal or to adjust the side to allow for returning players.

It's testimony to those players who started the derby games that some fans are calling for the now eligible Wilson Palacios to remain out of the side. A notion that would have been unthinkable just over a week ago.

I suppose the issue with Palacios is not so much the ability of the player but the impact he would have on the shape of the side, in particular the left, as normally Bale would be moved to left back and Modric to left wing to accommodate our midfield enforcer. Personally, I would like to see him come back into the team but in place of Huddlestone who played well against Chelsea but I felt was below par against Arsenal. He struggled in helping us retain position to alleviate pressure on the back four and I feel we are likely to come up against a dominate UTD at OT. They will press us high up the pitch and we'll need Wilson's energy to cope with that. The burden of an impending suspension has been lifted and with two weeks rest under his belt, he should be back to his best for the run-in. When he is, there's no better player in our squad at offering that defensive shield.

Lennon. Will he? Won't he play? Will be the question on everyone's minds again as we await in hope for Aaron Lennon to make named in the squad. He didn't feature against West Ham in the behind closed doors friendly so it would come as a shock if he was to return in this game. For that reasons as well as others, I would keep Kaboul ahead of Corluka at right back. Hopefully King will be fit to replace Bassong. It's tough on the kid but on Saturday I feel we'll need Ledder's reading of the game up against Rooney as no defender in the world copes well against him physically .The trick will be to cut out the danger before he reaches the 18 yard box. Perhaps a kick on the ankle would be advisable, althoigh not sure how popular that player will be with the nation!

I would class this as the toughest game out the three we have faced. Not only because it's away from home but UTD's winning mentality is stronger than that shown from our London rivals. I am a Tottenham fan but it doesn't stop me admiring their never say die attitude. If they could bottle that and sell it, their 700m debt would be cleared no problem and I wouldn't be wasting away typing articles for a site I don't even get paid for! I digress.

UTD won't be easy. I made the mistake of viewing us as favourites in both the league and cup ties this season as we entered the games in better form and with arguably better players than UTD had on that day. However, in both games they blew us away with relative ease - at one point needing only 10 of those apparently weaker players to not only see out the victory but score another goal in the process. I have learned through years of practice, not to underestimate Fergie's teams. If you want something like 'the mighty spurs will walk over these O.A.P's' I suggest you get your fix of delusion elsewhere.

Unfortunately, having been knocked out by Bayern, UTD have had the rare luxury of a full week's rest to prepare for this game so Giggs, Neville and Scholes will be fresh for battle.

As much I respect UTD, I think for the first time in a long time, as we enter a game at Old Trafford, UTD respect us to. Perhaps even fear us a little. I have a few colleagues at work who are UTD supporters and they are not looking forward to this game. The tension of a tight title race combined with facing an inform, dynamic, pacey side, would trouble any one. Put it this way, if you supported UTD, would you look forward to playing spurs right now? What if I said Gary Neville vs. Gareth Bale?

Roles are reversed this week as far as City are concerned, as they will have the luxury of going into their fixture (with Arsenal) knowing our result. Let's hope it's bad news for them! I don't fancy watching an Arsenal game and supporting the team in red. Wouldn't feel right, especially as they are pretty average at the minute.

The bonus is that we haven't got Howard 'salvation army to the top 4' Webb officiating so at least it'll be 11 against 11. Let the fun and games begin.

COYS!!
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Man U Game Empty Re: Man U Game

Post by BazSpur Fri Apr 23 2010, 00:38

Its gonna be tough Max no doubt about it.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 23 2010, 00:45

dont sit on the fence baz. should we drop someone for wp. we didnt just beat hull and wigan we beat chelsea and arsenal surley we should keep a winning team. we changed a winning team before and it come back to bite us on the bum
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Fri Apr 23 2010, 01:07

[quote="Loughtonlegend"]dont sit on the fence baz. should we drop someone for wp. we didnt just beat hull and wigan we beat chelsea and arsenal surley we should keep a winning team. we changed a winning team before and it come back to bite us on the bum

Ordinarily I'd agree with you on this one Lought, I hate to see a winning team broken up, particularly one that has just dismantled two of Europes top teams on the bounce.

However, this time I think it may be more necessary, but I agree with the line of taking The Hudd out for Palacios because they don't really have a particularly 'physically strong' midfield sizewise, they have a mobile one. It is here where I think Palacios edges the Hudd for this game. He's far more mobile than The Hudd, quicker and nimbler as well as having a better engine
    . Having Modric in there seals it for me because he provides the creativity as well as being even nimbler than Wilson.

The front and back lines are pretty much sown up and no one would dare touch our flanks the way they're playing at the mo, unless Lennon materialises then it's a no brainer.

A subtle change Lought but it could end up a profound one.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Fri Apr 23 2010, 01:22

Loughtonlegend wrote:dont sit on the fence baz. should we drop someone for wp. we didnt just beat hull and wigan we beat chelsea and arsenal surley we should keep a winning team. we changed a winning team before and it come back to bite us on the bum

No, keep it the same Lought. If it starts to look dodgy at least we have him on the bench. If it aint broke then don't fix it.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Fri Apr 23 2010, 01:40

With Scholes crashing around in midfield, Modders would be too quick for him and Fletcher, so he must start left of central midfield for me.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 23 2010, 04:19

[quote="ionman34"]
    Loughtonlegend wrote:dont sit on the fence baz. should we drop someone for wp. we didnt just beat hull and wigan we beat chelsea and arsenal surley we should keep a winning team. we changed a winning team before and it come back to bite us on the bum

Ordinarily I'd agree with you on this one Lought, I hate to see a winning team broken up, particularly one that has just dismantled two of Europes top teams on the bounce.

However, this time I think it may be more necessary, but I agree with the line of taking The Hudd out for Palacios because they don't really have a particularly 'physically strong' midfield sizewise, they have a mobile one. It is here where I think Palacios edges the Hudd for this game. He's far more mobile than The Hudd, quicker and nimbler as well as having a better engine
    . Having Modric in there seals it for me because he provides the creativity as well as being even nimbler than Wilson.

The front and back lines are pretty much sown up and no one would dare touch our flanks the way they're playing at the mo, unless Lennon materialises then it's a no brainer.

A subtle change Lought but it could end up a profound one.
    The mobility point is a very good one Ion. Thudd is not reknowned for his fleet footedness ! Difficult call this as 2 very good performances should mean an unchanged side, yet . . . . . One thing that looks certain is that whatever the starting 11 we should have a very strong bench for 'arry to play with should he need to. I also feel that if Utd play their, shall we say, more 'aging' midfield then our pace, on the left especially, could very well be the beating of them . . . . .

Post by Guest Fri Apr 23 2010, 08:44

Its good to see you all so positive about this match , its certainly not the way i feel about it and a draw would suit me every time !

Man utd will be going for it big time as the title is wide open again (thanks to us ) Man U Game Lol

I hope you lot will be telling me i was wrong but i am a little worried about this game, please let my worries be wrong, i desperately want that cl spot for the lads, they deserve it this year.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 23 2010, 09:15

the idea is hudd gets the ball from the back and passes to either mod are the wingers or find pav. i dont expect hudd to go burstin up the other end, hes the protector like he did aganst the goons. he dont just wack the ball away inviten pressur back on to us, he nearly always find a bloke in a white shirt

Post by Guest Fri Apr 23 2010, 09:16

and lew im not confident this is a bogey ground. if we win then we really can start to look up. but man u have to win. or they have lost the league
    tressman1
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Post by tressman1 Fri Apr 23 2010, 15:08

I am more than happy whatever side Arry picks as long as we have a good go at them, I hate seeing us die meekly, But more than that, this game alone will not decide our fate for CL place, if we do lose!!!!! if we do !!!! i fully expect s#@nal to beat city, we should be no worse off than what we are now with one less game each to play, after this game & city, we have bolton & Burnley!!!!!!!! City still have Villa to play & away to a maybe desperate Wet Spam, I think we have the better run in.
    Or do you guys see something different !!!!! Man U Game 208857
    SuneJim
    SuneJim
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by SuneJim Fri Apr 23 2010, 20:42

Have to say i agree with you there Tress,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, there is nothing worse than watching us fold like a pack of cards like we did last season at OT ok the Penalty was a travesty of justice but it's no excuse for the total capitulation after that.

Then you have the losses to Chelsea & a*se-nal away this season when we went in to try to match them up & defend & it didn't work & lost by 3 each time. We have to be aware of Man U i know but we're also good enough to give them some problems. In the away games like this Harry does tend to worry about what the opponents can do to us & countering it more than playing to our strengths & giving them problems to solve.

I also agree that this game isn't the be all & end all in the race for 4th,,,,,,,,,,, as you say Citeh still have Us, Villa & Arsenal to play So for us Man U, them & Bolton (H) Burnley (A) i think with the 6 points all ready got from Gooners & Chelski i think we're in pole position even with a loss.

We also shouldn't write off Pool & Villa that would be arrogant but i do like the position we're in.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20 2024, 01:31