The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Pre-match player ratings EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Pre-match player ratings EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Pre-match player ratings EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Pre-match player ratings EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Pre-match player ratings EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Pre-match player ratings EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Pre-match player ratings EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Pre-match player ratings EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Pre-match player ratings EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Pre-match player ratings Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

2 posters

Pre-match player ratings

Pre-match player ratings Empty Pre-match player ratings

Post by Guest Wed May 05 2010, 23:14

Posted below from the Telegraph one journos ratings of both teams. Looks like he rates OUR team quite highly . . . . . . . .

Manchester City
    Roberto Mancini
    Can err on the side of caution when a game’s there to be won. Will only be considered successful if fourth place is clinched. 7/10
    Marton Fulop: loan
    Settled down on his debut after a shaky start but Spurs will be eager to test his nerves early on. 6
    Pablo Zabaleta: £6.45 million
    A dogged defender who loves a tackle. Tends to pick his moments to venture forward. 7
    Kolo Toure: £14m
    Not what he was in terms of pace and strength. Nevertheless, this wholehearted defender gives it his all. 7
    Vincent Kompany: £6m
    Useful in the air and tidy on the ground, the Belgian’s greatest strength is his consistency. 7
    Wayne Bridge: £12m
    At his best bombing forward on the overlap, the left-back is wont to leave gaps in behind. 7
    Nigel de Jong: £15m
    Does an important job at the base of midfield, giving it simple once he’s won the ball. 7
    Patrick Vieira: Free
    Seems to do everything in slow motion these days but can still pick out a pass every now and again. 6
    Adam Johnson: £7m
    Getting better all the time in a City shirt, this fleet-footed winger loves to take on his man. 9
    Craig Bellamy: £10m
    A little quieter recently but that terrific finish against Aston Villa proved what a talented fighter he remains. 8
    Carlos Tevez: £25m
    An obvious danger who can’t seem to stop scoring, this busy striker won’t let up for the full 90 minutes. 9
    Emmanuel Adebayor: £25m
    Yet to reach the level he did at Arsenal one year. Even so, the big centre-forward can’t be taken lightly. 7
    Total: £120.45m
    -----------------------------------------------

Tottenham Hotspur
    Harry Redknapp
    You’ve got to admire his gift for assembling a team that plays winning football with plenty of style. 9
    Heurelho Gomes: £10m
    Against all expectations, has turned into a keeper of genuine substance, those earlier gaffes now a distant memory. 9
    Younes Kaboul: £5m
    Had a nightmare recently, his decision-making and positioning far from ideal. Yet his pace will be useful against Bellamy. 5
    Michael Dawson: £4m
    A near flawless season from this brave centre-half whose positional sense and passing have improved no end. 9
    Ledley King: Free
    What a boost if he makes it. King lifts the whole team with the seemingly effortless way he handles opponents. 9
    Benoit Assou-Ekotto: £3.5m
    On his day, a very good left-back. When the mind is elsewhere, though, he can be an absolute liability. 7
    David Bentley: £15m
    Another unpredictable character liable to try something silly when a simple pass will do. Great set-piece delivery though. 6
    Tom Huddlestone: £2.5m
    Like Dawson, has enjoyed a terrific campaign, defying his critics to add mobility and fitness to a classy passing game. 9
    Wilson Palacios: £12m
    On form, he’s a vital component who breaks up attacks. Sometimes, however, he struggles to keep up with the pace. 7
    Luka Modric: £16.6m
    A wonderful little player capable of causing chaos with such quick feet. For City, stopping the Croatian must be a priority. 8
    Gareth Bale: £6m
    In irresistible form, the flying Welshman gives Spurs so much energy and pace up that left flank. 9
    Peter Crouch: £9m
    Hasn’t started for a while so this would be a big call. If Spurs go with one up front, he’s the obvious man. 7
    Total: £83.6m
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Pre-match player ratings Empty Re: Pre-match player ratings

Post by ionman34 Thu May 06 2010, 21:31

As interesting as the summary was, what really caught my eye was the price tags on the players and the final cost of assembling that team.

Just over 83 million to get each of those players. Just how much would their valuations be right now?

I don't think I'm too far off the mark by saying that that team would have to be worth around 3 times what we paid for them. That's a quarter of a billion in player assets.

That, more than anything else, speaks volumes about the quality scouting we have at the club, not to mention the foresight to invest in those players when they were young. King, Dawson, Lennon, Huddlestone, Khaboul et al. It also speaks volumes about the shrewd buying that the club has carried out. Gomez looks like a snip at 9 mill, as does Modric at 16 mill. Bale for 6 million? If next season goes the way this has for him then adding a 0 to that 6 wouldn't be considered in the realms of Fantasy.

Well maybe just a little ................... But not by much.

King was our own and, if the knees miraculously recovered, would be worth near to 40 mill easily (If Ferdinand was 30 mill then Kings value would cane that).

The there's Michael Dawson. 4 mill? I bet the Forest Chairman wakes up in a cold sweat regularly when he can see just how much money slipped through his fingers.

The Hud. We've waited patiently, some more than others, to see this talent emerge. What is he, 23? 5 years off his prime and I see the makings of what, to me, is the complete midfielder. His passing is better than virtually anyone else in the Prem, no one strikes the ball sweeter than he does. Now the coaching staff have added Steel to his game as well as speed. Both Jim and I have championed this lad since he joined the club. All that time I asked for patience saying that he may well be a late developer, remember that Lew?

Now, by Christ, is he developing. He, more than any of the other players IMO, will take the most from the CL. If & when we get to the League section I think he'll shine. His game is made for this kind of competition. Give him time on the ball and he'll destroy teams with his range.

I'll sign off with Lennon. This kid is worth his weight in Gold, actually he's worth Jim's weight in Gold!!
    It's scary to think what Lennon is worth, 40, 50 mill easily? He's the best Winger in the Prem by a stretch. After having teams double up on him he then adapted and got even better at beating players.

Then he added a final ball to his armoury to produce the player that I think more players fear facing than any other.

We're more than good enough for the CL. Anyone out there who doubts our credentials is, I think, in for a very rude awakening. This will go so far to strengthening the self belief of the team. We didn't fluke it, we earned it. We will now be competing with the best in Europe, the best in the World and THEY'VE EARNED that right.

COYS!!!

Post by Guest Thu May 06 2010, 21:49

Top post Ion. Im with you on Thudd. I've said for a long time that with self-belief he can be as good as Beckenbaur in his prime. Another snip is Benny Ekotto at £3.5M ! Good value for money there as well. When you see Bentley at £15M being the most expensive in the articles line-up it says a hell of a lot about shrewd investment for the future . . . . . . .
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu May 06 2010, 21:52

Rep point coming your way Ion. Great post mate.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jul 07 2024, 06:03