The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Raul EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Raul EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Raul EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Raul EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Raul EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Raul EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Raul EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Raul EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Raul EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Raul Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+3
BazSpur
sarflondonar
MarkA249
7 posters

Raul

Raul Empty Raul

Post by Guest Wed Jul 21 2010, 21:30

Raul: Madness or Masterstroke?

Reports this morning, claim that Spurs are in the running to sign Real Madrid legend, Raul, should, as expected he is released by the Spanish side.

Although the player has just turned 33, he remains superstar, regardless of not being an automatic selection for his one and only professional club and country, but when you consider the quality at both, is that a negative?

It is expected that Raul will be allowed to leave Madrid on a free, in recognition of his outstanding service to the club and I have a sneaky feeling that Mourinho would welcome the departure of a player who has been rumoured to hold massive influence at the club, therefore his departure increases the power of "the special one" but that could just be my cynicism creeping out.

Much of the positives with a signing like this, depend on the players willingness to seek a new challenge and embrace any new move. Raul certainly shouldn`t need the money and only time will tell whether he still has the motivation and fitness to play in the Premiership.

Raul is sure to demand strong money, wherever he goes and with clubs in the USA and the Middle East suggested as being interested, a move to England or elsewhere in Europe would probably be a football not financial decision, so is that a tick in the positive box?

A free transfer for Raul, could of course also add substance to the talk that Roman Pavlyuchenko being allowed to leave on loan, meaning that we have the potential ability to recall the player if a move for Raul proved a disappointment, but again I may be reading too far ahead here.

One thing that would certainly be brought to the club is a winning mentality and massive experience at the very highest level. Consider also that he is the record goal-scorer for club and country and no player has scored more Champions league goals.

Negatives are of course age and motivation, while some will look at his record in recent seasons and feel he has been in decline as a player for several years. His last international goal was in the 2006 World Cup (against the might of Tunisia), though again with players of the quality of Torres and Villa ahead of him, is that more about a lack of opportunity than ability?

For Madrid, last season was somewhat of a disappointment in both performance and the loss of his place in the side by right, his worst ever goal return (7 in 39) and perhaps the realisation that his time at the club was at an end. To counter the stats, of course it can be argued that a high percentage of appearances were from the bench and without a consistent run of game to get a real feel for games, but only when he puts on the shirt of another side, will we truly know whether he has the ability and motivation to impress elsewhere...

Read more: http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7505002#ixzz0uJNXVNA0
    MarkA249
    MarkA249
    Premiership
    Premiership

Raul Empty Re: Raul

Post by MarkA249 Wed Jul 21 2010, 21:54

i hope we get him is experience will be great he is a leader too just what we need for this season
    sarflondonar
    sarflondonar
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Post by sarflondonar Wed Jul 21 2010, 22:26

Please NoooOoooOoOo!
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed Jul 21 2010, 23:00

If this is true then what the hell are we doing looking at players in their Thirties. The same with Forlan. yes he is scoring goals but he is 31which gives him maybe 2-3 years at the Lane and the Premiership is a totally different character to what he is used to. He couldn't hack it here last time when he played for Manure. Why are we not going for younger players. Then at the other end of the scale we are looking at the lad Wickham at Ipswich but he won't be ready for ages and at 10 Mill I would tell them to forget it.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Wed Jul 21 2010, 23:19

Same old same old Baz, papers scratching around for stories cos nothings happening, i mean loaning Pav to Sporting and paying half his wages, do me a favour!!

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed Jul 21 2010, 23:57

Yep, as you say Dj its the same every close season. Why are we being honoured by having the press telling us we are going for more players than any other club?
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Thu Jul 22 2010, 00:35

BazSpur wrote:Yep, as you say Dj its the same every close season. Why are we being honoured by having the press telling us we are going for more players than any other club?

Christ only knows, but as Jim always says, until they are at Spurs lodge holding the famous shirt, yesterdays chip paper mate.

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Jul 22 2010, 00:39

100% mate.

Post by Guest Thu Jul 22 2010, 01:55

i think raul only got 7 goals last season. hes passed it. its a no from me
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Thu Jul 22 2010, 02:11

Loughtonlegend wrote:i think raul only got 7 goals last season. hes passed it. its a no from me

Its a no from me too Lought, but he probably only started 7 games for Real last term!!

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Thu Jul 22 2010, 02:13

just looked it up 3 goals in 11 games last season

just a thought, got loads of Euro experience
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Jul 22 2010, 02:51

He's the type that would suit our game , a proper fox in the box to unlock those parking the bus teams such as Wolves and Stoke last season .... Klose is another one ...
    Raul is 33 but he's a proper proffesional..... If it happens and we dont pay him silly Joe Cole wages it could be worth a gamble ...
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Fri Jul 23 2010, 23:02

If you think.......as some of you do..... that we are going to be challenging for the top this year then you must be mad to think that Raul is going to make a difference to our side. He wont! His best days were gone 2 or 3 years ago not last year. We want class that's in it's prime not dead beats like Raul and one season wonders like Forlan, who they are asking 20mil for.
    There are good young players out there and available like Micah Richards at City and Ozil who had a blinding WC and who's club need to sell because they are in financial trouble. Why would any one pay 20mil for Forlan when you can get Ozil for the same money. Richards would about 8-10 mil.Both would be easily affordable when we get rid of some the players who we know are'nt going to play a big part in our season, like Jenas, Keane, Bentley and Pav. That would raise more than enough to buy players of that calibre.

Mikey M

Post by Guest Fri Jul 23 2010, 23:04

It's a yes from me. Would make a good addition to the squad. Has proven at the highest levels for many years and as a squad player would be no worse than the option of Crouch from the bench . . . . .
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Fri Jul 23 2010, 23:21

I don't beleive he would make any impact Vis. He has never played anywhere but RM and only knows the Spanish way of football and at 33 I can not see him settling in the prem.
    And as I said before why go for him just because he's free when there are better options that we can raise the money for.

Mikey M

Post by Guest Fri Jul 23 2010, 23:32

Still a decent option in certain games Mikey. It seems good strikers are at a premium at the moment so any options are worth a look at. What if Pavy does go to Lisbon on a loan ? Ok he may take awhile to settle but I'm not advocating for him to start every game just to be considered as a plan B/C/D, whatever. He is a proven class player and his experience of the Spannish style of league game would suit him as an impact sub with 20-30 minutes left and IMO some of the European games . . . . .
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Sat Jul 24 2010, 01:31

People seem to have forgotten about Gudjohnson. I think Raul is a step backwards, but as many have said we could still benefit from his experience, especially when our strikers are under achieving or not scoring, so if no other strikers are brought in, i would say yes to Raul coming, maybe just on a season loan.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 02 2024, 15:59