The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Is this an unfair advantage ? EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Is this an unfair advantage ? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Is this an unfair advantage ? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Is this an unfair advantage ? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Is this an unfair advantage ? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Is this an unfair advantage ? EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Is this an unfair advantage ? EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Is this an unfair advantage ? EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Is this an unfair advantage ? EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Is this an unfair advantage ? Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

3 posters

Is this an unfair advantage ?

Is this an unfair advantage ? Empty Is this an unfair advantage ?

Post by Guest Tue Aug 17 2010, 01:17

I was wondering how much different an artificial pitch is to play on compared to grass ? has anyone on here had any experience of such a thing.

I think we have some teams in the league who have such pitches , cant remember who exactly ? maybe qpr but would it be an unfair advantage to the team playing all home games on such a surface , as they would obviously have experience and learn simply from the fact of regular matches on the artificial pitch.

I am not making advance excuses for spurs if we dont perform well away against youngs boys , it really is a serious question.

I just hope harry has done his homework and him and the spurs players know exactly what they are up against in switzerland.....................
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Is this an unfair advantage ? Empty Re: Is this an unfair advantage ?

Post by DJSR Tue Aug 17 2010, 01:26

Luton Town use to play on astroturf. I've played on it before, the ball moves much quicker and you can find players slipping all over the place.

The Young Boys will have an advantage tomorrow, i dont think UEFA should allow astroturf pitches, it is a disadvantage for the visiting team.

But i'm sure Spurs are in Switzerland now training on the pitch and getting use to it.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Tue Aug 17 2010, 01:37

Its a bound to be a little advantagious if you play you home games on them Lew and Im a little suprised they're allowed to be honest .... The argument is that modern day plastic pitches are near to grass anyway unlike the old plastic astroturf pitches ....

I think its CSKA Mocow who have a plastic pitch and ManUre last season did okay on it winning 1-0....Aston Villa's Martin O'Neil was complaining about the very same pitch after his team got beat 2-0 there , the previous season ..

I think Spurs have an indoor training pitch with a similar plastic grass so Im sure Harry will have had our players training on it ....

Personaly , I so hated playing on those astroturfs at Picketts Lock , always coming off the pitch at the end of a game with grazes ....
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Tue Aug 17 2010, 02:14

I use to play at the astroturf pitch in Woodgreen, New River Sports Center.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Tue Aug 17 2010, 02:35

I remember those ones at Picketts Lock Arnie.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Tue Aug 17 2010, 07:41

I never played on that one DJ ....

Baz ... We used to play five a-side after work at Pickets Lock and sometimes on the large pitch ... I remember the large pitch was murder to play on, very fast ...

Post by Guest Tue Aug 17 2010, 08:02

How artificial is it guys ? Is it like the one's QPR & Luton used to use or is it a weave that uses artificial fibres & natural ? I would imagine, as UEFA have sanctioned it, it has to play very true and very little uneven bounce like the old fashioned astro-turf had . . . . .
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Tue Aug 17 2010, 08:11

Harry has commented on it Vis and says its not like the old Loftus Road ....He's happy with it ..
    Redknapp does not see a problem with the surface. 'It looks fine, good surface, very good,' he said. 'Much better than QPR's used to be many years ago, that's for sure

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1303607/Tottenhams-Jermaine-Jenas-Champions-League-clash-Young-Boys.html#ixzz0wo0RUuut

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Tue Aug 17 2010, 09:02

I remember they used to put loads of sand on the old Astro's. Is it the same these days Arnie?

Post by Guest Wed Aug 18 2010, 16:29

I wonder why i thought this might end up a controversial subject............plus water being sprayed on the pitch to quicken it up.

As i said , play on it every week and you get used to it..........perhaps you lot can now say whether or not its an unfair advantage.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed Aug 18 2010, 23:23

Its an unfair advantage as far as I am concerned but next week we will have the advantage of a partisan crowd that will rock the stadium with noise and a grass pitch. That should even it up.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Aug 19 2010, 03:58

BazSpur wrote:I remember they used to put loads of sand on the old Astro's. Is it the same these days Arnie?

I cant recall the sand Baz ..... Would they put it on if the pitch was wet ?
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Aug 19 2010, 04:03

lewspurs wrote:
    I wonder why i thought this might end up a controversial subject............plus water being sprayed on the pitch to quicken it up.

As i said , play on it every week and you get used to it..........perhaps you lot can now say whether or not its an unfair advantage.

Its unfair lol

Also watering it before the game , whats that all about ? Its not like a grass pitch that sometimes needs to be softened ....Why dont they just allow them to put on ice sheets whilst they're at it ? lol

If I had it my way all football pitches would be grass and the same size in length and width the world over!

Post by Guest Thu Aug 19 2010, 04:43

ArnieArdiles wrote:
    lewspurs wrote:

Its unfair lol

Also watering it before the game , whats that all about ? Its not like a grass pitch that sometimes needs to be softened ....Why dont they just allow them to put on ice sheets whilst they're at it ? lol

If I had it my way all football pitches would be grass and the same size in length and width the world over!

Scott sutter of young boys admitted that visiting teams find it hard to cope with, although both harry and michael dawson said it wasnt the pitch you could read between the lines that they didnt want to make excuses...especially daws.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Aug 19 2010, 04:48

They'd only won on it once in five previous games this season , Lew ...We just got it wrong , we should have more than enough to have at least not lost there ..... Let's hope Harry and the boys get it right in the return ....
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Aug 19 2010, 04:56

ArnieArdiles wrote:
    BazSpur wrote:I remember they used to put loads of sand on the old Astro's. Is it the same these days Arnie?

I cant recall the sand Baz ..... Would they put it on if the pitch was wet ?

I think that was the reason Arnie.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Aug 19 2010, 05:11

Think you maybe right now thinking about it Baz ....I also remember the redgra pitches and they were even worse ...We had one at my secondary school and I can recall some nasty moments on that Is this an unfair advantage ? Icon_pale

Post by Guest Thu Aug 19 2010, 05:16

they earn loads a week and they cant play on plastic pitch lol im sorry but its a weak excuess surley they train on them sumtimes
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Aug 19 2010, 05:17

Never played on them Arnie but they looked nasty.

Post by Guest Fri Aug 20 2010, 06:28

lol pickets artificial was a nightmate to play on, the modern day stuff is more football friendly than that, but it shouldn be used in pro football whatever the standard of it. football was designed to play on grass,

Post by Guest Fri Aug 20 2010, 07:09

Loughtonlegend wrote:they earn loads a week and they cant play on plastic pitch lol im sorry but its a weak excuess surley they train on them sumtimes

Absolutely agree with you Lought. These are Professionals and they should be able to control the ball on broken glass ! BUT . . . . . if you ain't used to a thing it does take awhile to adjust. Take 2 German cars, drive a Beemer then a Mercedes and they are different. If your used to the Beemer the gears are in a place you know and so are the stalks on the driving column. Your Beemer you are used to and you will throw it round corners, find the wipers when it rains & switch the lights on when it's dark with no problems. Then you sit in the Mercedes and its a car but oh so slightly different and it take's you awhile to get used to it and find out where everything is. Sorry to use the car analogy but it was the best I could come up with at short notice lol . . . . . .

Post by Guest Fri Aug 20 2010, 07:13

its a great analogy vis, its a bit like being a stella drinker only to find out the local shop has ran out and then u have to turn your attentions to kronebourg or red stripe maybe, it dont get your taste buds quite going the same but u adapt in the end.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Fri Aug 20 2010, 10:35

I quite like Kronenburg Burg lol.

Post by Guest Fri Aug 20 2010, 10:37

krone comes next for me baz, i am getting stuck into some stella now, my bodyclock is all over the place and i am wide awake. lol
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Fri Aug 20 2010, 10:41

Still wide awake myself mate tucking away some Carlsburg. Is this an unfair advantage ? Lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 06 2024, 14:17