The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
WOW EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
WOW EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
WOW EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
WOW EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
WOW EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
WOW EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
WOW EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
WOW EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
WOW EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

WOW Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+2
shearspur
totalytot
6 posters

WOW

WOW Empty WOW

Post by Guest Wed Aug 18 2010, 07:59

Welcome to Europe eh people ? The 1st half hour is as bad as we've played in a long, long time. Awful. OK we where in Switzerland but was Gross our manager again ? Intresting starting line-up from 'arry which didn't come off. Against Citeh I couldn't pick a below par performance for this game it's difficult to pick any positives ! ! ! Bassong struggled at first, Ekotto was back to his worst. Corluka had lead legs. Moddle and Sgt Wilson looked like boys against men. But we weathered the storm and things got better, slightly; at times, as the game went on. Dos Santos was hugely disapointing. After missing his chance he drifted out of the game and seemed to do nothing but recieve the ball and get rid of it as soon as he could, invariably with an iffy "hospital" type pass. Pavy, well now. What a goal, what a superb goal. OK doing what he's paid to do but if Defoe hadn't of pulled up he would have been off the pitch. He couldn't hold the ball up or pass to a team-mate and his general play was selfish and lazy. But hey what a goal. Even Bale was muted tonight. Thudd made a difference playing the ball short & simple and coming to terms with the pitch. The defence setteled a touch but still got caught too often and in truth we could have conceded 6 ! Kranky started brightly but the front men didn't offer him too many outlets and opportuinities to get forward. Keane gets a mention for the 1-2 for Pavys goal. What a goal. Strange but at the end a 3-2 defeat felt like at least a draw if not a victory and as it's only "half-time" the game ain't over till the final whistle blows at White Hart Lane next Wednesday. Get Lennon & Bale bombing up the wings at 'em . . . . .

WOW Empty Re: WOW

Post by Guest Wed Aug 18 2010, 08:03

A good come back. The second away goal gives you more than a fighting chance.

You've ruined my night
    Very Happy

Post by Guest Wed Aug 18 2010, 08:08

Deep joy . . . . . . lol!

Post by Guest Wed Aug 18 2010, 08:13

Is there any way to get rid of this red font? its so offensive to my eyes!! eyes

Post by Guest Wed Aug 18 2010, 09:01

vis i agree with everything you said. gio was very disspointing. he look like he couldnt run. wp kept given the ball away
    pav as much as i love the guy i noticed it in the last 2 games hes so greedy and just shoots. and your right he would of been taken off if defoe hadnt of got hurt.
    i hope we rest king sat for next wednsday

Post by Guest Wed Aug 18 2010, 09:09

Think we will Lought. And Crouchiniho & Keane to start against Stoke me thinks . . . . .

Post by Guest Wed Aug 18 2010, 09:33

i would def start crouch on saturday but start with pav next wednsday.
    i think pav plays bettter at home then away. hopefully save king for next week

i think harry made a mistake not starting with hudd. hes the 1 that you new could play on a plastic pitch

Post by Guest Wed Aug 18 2010, 09:35

both Jermain Defoe and Luka Modric have picked up injuries.
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Wed Aug 18 2010, 17:15

I agree the game isn't over yet, but we have to beat this type of opposition if we are not going to embarrass ourselves in the competition. Remember this was Young Boys not Barca or Inter. We panicked big time when they went 1-0 up and looked liked frightened rabbits in headlights. Our defence was exposed as slow and lacked any communication between them.

Corluka was time and time again caught out of position and his passes were going to them every time. Gio did his usual busy runs with no end product and was a waste of space in the 2nd half.Palacios has always been lacking top class to me and last night showed it again. There were several normally reliable players well out of touch as in fact was the whole team.

Maybe going out of the CL and going into the Europa league this year might be a better option as this side on last nights performance is going to get hammered by the big boys.

I hope this isn't a taste of what to expect in the Prem. when we play the likes of Chelsea and Utd.

I know it's early days but to many players came up short when more was needed.

Like the rest of us I'm very disappointed not in just the result but in the way that we capitulated after the first goal.
    I don't think that performance will attract any big names in the transfer market, do you.

Mikey M
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Wed Aug 18 2010, 20:43

i think that performance was a one off. young boys are already 5-6 weeks ahead of us in there league which gives them a slight fitness advantage. also that pitch got into the minds of some of our players i reckon and they panicked.it will be a different story back at ours i think, and if we get through the tie it will bring a huge confidece boost to the whole team and we can move on from that starting point. the pressure is imence on them to get into the group stages and nerves got the better of them imo.
    seebee1944
    seebee1944
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by seebee1944 Wed Aug 18 2010, 20:53

The big worry for me was how the defence were caught time after time for pace the second goal being a classic example. However remember we lost the first leg of our game 50 years ago 4 2 but won the return 8 1 against Gornik. Not saying it will be that score but as our friend Ion would say the planets are aligning.

Post by Guest Wed Aug 18 2010, 21:31

For me another very important learning curve for the club. A 'new' situation, fresh stuff to learn & take on board. Nothing wrong with making the odd mistake as long as you learn from it . . . . . . . . .
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Wed Aug 18 2010, 22:24

I dont like to pick out individual performances when the team performance is so way below what is expected ..... But if I were pushed to pick one individual out for criticism it would have to be Harry ..... I know its in hindsight & I dont know all the ins and outs regarding injuries , but I just didnt see the need for the four changes from the Man City game apart from the obvious Ledley King/Sebastian Bassong one.......

I also felt we didnt give them the respect they deserved ........... Often teams in Europe, when away from home make sure they have bodies in the midfield , playing deep too ....Many of the top teams at least start a game with five in the midfield before being more adventerous as the game progresses and after getting to know the opponent .... The idea is not to lose a game in the early minutes and I know many of us dont like this defensive talk , post World Cup too but this is the reality of tournament football ... Also it was an artificial pitch that we needed to get used to playing on, so it could be argued even more so the necessity to be cautious in the early stages ... Why were our players so high up the field on numerous occasions in the first half when we wernt putting pressure on our oppponent with the ball? ... Also the front two were holding on to the ball maybe one out of the five times they received it ...Pav loses it and two passes later their forward is sliding it past Gomes ..

Keane should be picked for European nights , in fact as long as he is showing decent form it should be him and one other, as he is the only one that seems capable of forming a strike partnership and Pav seems the obvious one to me ....

Also , rumour has it ....Keane also had a serious verbal with Harry in the dressing room prior to the game and was not his usual, gee them up great to have around the dressing squad player, that we often get told about ....

Oh well least we get a second chance to put it right next week...COYS!!

Post by Guest Wed Aug 18 2010, 22:34

Good post Arnie, Rep for you.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Wed Aug 18 2010, 22:39

thanks Bart dude lol
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Wed Aug 18 2010, 22:45

Completely agree with all your points Arnie, rep point from me too.

The team did play way to high up the pitch, and playing away, we shouldnt be doing that unless we're 2 or 3 up! But we learnt from the mistakes in the 1st half and were a bit more organised in the 2nd, and starting zipping the ball around a bit more, but the defence was still all over the place, they could have scored another 2 goals.

Lennon must have picked up an injury against City, hopefully he'll be back for the next game.
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Thu Aug 19 2010, 02:07

We should beat them comfortably at home although my only worry is if they pack their midfield it could be another Stoke or Wolves game like last season and we know what happened there. We do find it difficult to break those sort of teams down.

Mikey M

Post by Guest Thu Aug 19 2010, 02:36

why did they play so high up the feild when our defenders had no pace. and the 2nd goal was why didnt corluka see the danger and get back quicker when daws got turned
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Aug 19 2010, 03:46

[quote="DJSR"]Completely agree with all your points Arnie, rep point from me too.

The team did play way to high up the pitch, and playing away, we shouldnt be doing that unless we're 2 or 3 up! But we learnt from the mistakes in the 1st half and were a bit more organised in the 2nd, and starting zipping the ball around a bit more, but the defence was still all over the place, they could have scored another 2 goals.

As you say DJ, we did play better in the second half and they couldve scored another couple of goals ....Before Pavs goal... I were thinking I be happy with a 3-1 loss.....Pavs goal was a bonus ...

Lennon must have picked up an injury against City, hopefully he'll be back for the next game.

From what I heard ,,Lennon didnt fancy it, after training on it the night before and Harry thought best not to risk him as he is still fragile from his past injuries...

Post by Guest Thu Aug 19 2010, 06:36

Arnie from what I heard they didn't start Thudd because they thought he was too heavy for plastic ffs . . . . . .

Post by Guest Thu Aug 19 2010, 07:14

"FAT BLOKE"
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Fri Aug 20 2010, 11:34

The Hudd didn't start because the last time he played on a fake pitch his knees blew up like balloons.

That was a good result for us guys. Scared the bejesus out of the players and reminded them that they have to concentrate from the first minute to the last or we'll get punished.

A big lesson and an important one in their learning curve. If they have learned from it then we're in the CL proper, if they haven't then we don't deserve to be.

Post by Guest Sat Aug 21 2010, 07:28

Top post Ion. Part of the bigger picture, part of the learning curve. 3-0 down and pull it back to 3-2 at half-time. Then they gotta play on OUR "slope". There's been lots of negatives wrote in the meeja abou the result but the truth is we are still in the game, very much still in the game. As you say Ion if we can't sort this out we don't deserve to be invited to the party . . . . .
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Sat Aug 21 2010, 16:26

It's not just this game is it guys. It's how we play against the bigger and better teams. Sure we will win the return leg.....if not then as Ion said we don't deserve to be there.....but how will we cope with the more experienced and stronger sides. I suppose only time will tell and at least it gives us something else to talk about.

Mikey M
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sat Aug 21 2010, 19:47

totalytot wrote:
    It's not just this game is it guys. It's how we play against the bigger and better teams. Sure we will win the return leg.....if not then as Ion said we don't deserve to be there.....but how will we cope with the more experienced and stronger sides. I suppose only time will tell and at least it gives us something else to talk about.

Mikey M

They may just surprise you Mikey, they certainly surprised Liverpool, Chelsea and the goons last season. Those 3 teams always seem to be up there in this competition. I seriously think we'll see Spurs showing that they have the class to compete in the CL.

You know, we can blame a whole host of different things for that nightmare half hour mate, but it was probably the lot combined. After that we were far more controlled. Harry made 4 changes to 'protect' them from injury but still got other key players crocked. He then kicked up a stink afterwards, psychology perhaps? Get the players cheesed off that they were embarassed by an average team, then turn them loose on them at WHL, show them what happens to them without their 'unfair advantage'.....................

Light Blue touch paper, stand well back ....................

Were I Harry I'd be telling the boys to teach Europe an abject lesson regarding Tottenham Hotspur. Tell them to go out and annihilate this team, run over them the way we did Citeh, but for the full 90 minutes. They already know how to play well together, all they need from there on is motivation. Viewed from that perspective we really couldn't have had a better result from the YB's game

Somehow I don't think Harry has let that pass him by either.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 06 2024, 14:11