The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
In defence of Redknapp EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
In defence of Redknapp EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
In defence of Redknapp EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
In defence of Redknapp EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
In defence of Redknapp EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
In defence of Redknapp EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
In defence of Redknapp EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
In defence of Redknapp EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
In defence of Redknapp EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

In defence of Redknapp Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+4
Boltjean
sarflondonar
LOBO
BazSpur
8 posters

In defence of Redknapp

In defence of Redknapp Empty In defence of Redknapp

Post by Guest Thu Sep 23 2010, 04:02

From the sounds of things, you'd have thought we'd just been relegated.
    The anger emanating across the Tottenham community last night and spilling over into this morning was palpable. A 4-1 defeat to our bitterest rivals, a generally limp display and a White Hart Lane crowd forced into an early exit. The old ground will have hosted happier occasions than the one last night, that's for sure.

A lot of things didn't go to plan: Arsenal put out a much stronger team than we, or even they, expected, our band of fringe players and first-timers had a mixed bag and we displayed that time-old Tottenham tradition of defensive implosion. Yet, for ninety minutes, we were actually still in the game. And, although it hurts to lose in such a manner, what we mustn't forget is that this was the Carling Cup – a tournament that we've admittedly excelled in lately but one that shouldn't be too high on our list of priorities for this campaign. For the first time in eons, the argument could be plausibly made that it was more important for Arsenal than it was for us, an argument that is reflected in their team selection. And fair play to them, they deserved their win and their away support gamely joined in the minute's applause before the game for Spurs legend Bobby Smith, who passed away recently.

This blog unfortunately wasn't able to be at White Hart Lane in person, or indeed in blog form – work commitments saw to that. And so it's understandable that the fans who paid good money to support their side would have expected a performance, and a team sheet, that reflected their investment in both the club and the derby itself.

The general consensus is that Harry got it wrong last night but on closer inspection that might not be the watertight theory many are claiming it to be. Fatigue has started to rear its ugly head and we're only into September. We've a schedule like few too many before this season – the Champions League brings with it extra games and extra commitments. And even if we're to depart at the group stages, there's still the possibility of Europa League qualification and another stack of energy-sapping fixtures. Throw into the mix the FA Cup, a competition everyone treats with at least some semblance of seriousness, and our efforts to hang around near the top of the Premier League and we're left with a lot of matches to play over the course of the season. If players are getting tired, and getting injured, as regularly as they are now then squad rotation will be an incomprehensively vital part of any success we have designs on this season.

North London derbies are important, of course. They're the basic fabric of the intense rivalry we share with our neighbours and provide an opportunity for the fans to throw their weight behind their team in the most vociferous fashion possible. But the Carling Cup 3rd round pales in comparison to a league meeting or a cup semi final. It's not even in the same fraction. Redknapp, ever the thinker, saw an opportunity to rest his key players, players who had been showing signs of tiredness and injury, and he took it. The side he fielded wasn't a reserve side, nor was a composition of youth players. It was a seasoned team, with experience (Palacios, Bentley), fringe players (dos Santos, Naughton) and debutants (Caulker, Sandro) - players that deserved an opportunity to impress or needed match time to re-establish their credentials. It was a team Redknapp believed could win the game. And, lest we forget, we were a post's width away from doing just that.

Harry may have failed to recognise the perceived importance of the occasion. But the only crime committed last night was the lapse of defensive concentration that allowed Arsenal not only to force the door ajar but to burst through it. Players might have been playing in slighty alien positions and the formation may not have been the one to achieve success on this occasion. But if the long term gains of his decisions benefit the club in the shape of, say, Champions League progression or another top four spot, then the pain felt in the immediate aftermath of the defeat will be wiped away forever and last night's game will be consigned to nothingness. Let Arsenal have their moment in the North London sun – if they choose to gloat with an early season League Cup win over a weakened Spurs side then that's entirely their decision.

Bottom line: Harry knows what he's doing. This is the man who not only rescued us from relegation but who propelled us to our highest Premier League finish last season. He has a bigger plan and, though he'll be disappointed by the manner of defeat, he'll learn from it and move on. It would be best if we, as fans, did the same.

Written by Mark at 8:20 AM
    http://boysfromthelane.blogspot.com
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

In defence of Redknapp Empty Re: In defence of Redknapp

Post by BazSpur Thu Sep 23 2010, 06:21

Maybe Arry wanted us to go out then.

Post by Guest Thu Sep 23 2010, 06:47

i think harry got shafted by wenger. imagine what harry though after seein there team sheet. why dont skysports or reporters say to him so how come u didnt play ur kids
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Thu Sep 23 2010, 08:43

I dont really care about the carling cup, there was a time it meant everything, but now it just seems like a token gesture of a cup, most people are upset cos we lost to a*se-nal , if it had been any other team than a*se then i think most people would have been ok with it considering it was a full of fringe and young players
    sarflondonar
    sarflondonar
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Post by sarflondonar Thu Sep 23 2010, 11:04

LOBO wrote:I dont really care about the carling cup, there was a time it meant everything, but now it just seems like a token gesture of a cup, most people are upset cos we lost to a*se-nal , if it had been any other team than a*se then i think most people would have been ok with it considering it was a full of fringe and young players

Agreed Lobo, i've never been less bothered about a Norf London Derby in my entire life.
    The goons can boast all they want, but at the end of the day the carling cup is more important to them because they haven't won anything for while.
    Vengar proved this with the slightly stronger side he put out.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Thu Sep 23 2010, 18:34

sarflondonar wrote:
    LOBO wrote:I dont really care about the carling cup, there was a time it meant everything, but now it just seems like a token gesture of a cup, most people are upset cos we lost to a*se-nal , if it had been any other team than a*se then i think most people would have been ok with it considering it was a full of fringe and young players

Agreed Lobo, i've never been less bothered about a Norf London Derby in my entire life.
    The goons can boast all they want, but at the end of the day the carling cup is more important to them because they haven't won anything for while.
    Vengar proved this with the slightly stronger side he put out.

I think in time we will look back and think maybe this was a blessing in desguise, now we have more time to rest players , we all wanted to win but there was no way that was going to happen , a*se fielded a much stronger team , before the kick off when i saw the line up's i knew it was going to be tuff, well now its history we can consentrate on what really matters , sod the carling cup lol
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Thu Sep 23 2010, 21:26

I believe that you should go all out to win any trophy, yes even the Carling Cup. I think to hold back many of our 1st team players in the hope we will do well in the premiership or champions league is taking thing's a bit forgranted, and this has been Wengers big mistake for quite a few season's now, and he knows it. He knows the fans want a trophy and are not just going to be happy with being in the top four season after season, getting into the Champions League, and then failing time after time, he knows they are not a Chelsea or United, and are unlikely to win the Premiership, so desperation is setting in, he has to win a Trophy and if it's the Carling Cup I am sure the Arsenal fans who have always classed this competition as the Micky Mouse Cup will soon change there mind and will be very happy, especially if we end up with nothing.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Thu Sep 23 2010, 21:41

Boltjean wrote:I believe that you should go all out to win any trophy, yes even the Carling Cup. I think to hold back many of our 1st team players in the hope we will do well in the premiership or champions league is taking thing's a bit forgranted, and this has been Wengers big mistake for quite a few season's now, and he knows it. He knows the fans want a trophy and are not just going to be happy with being in the top four season after season, getting into the Champions League, and then failing time after time, he knows they are not a Chelsea or United, and are unlikely to win the Premiership, so desperation is setting in, he has to win a Trophy and if it's the Carling Cup I am sure the Arsenal fans who have always classed this competition as the Micky Mouse Cup will soon change there mind and will be very happy, especially if we end up with nothing.

It's always been about us & them, every season we look back as spurs fans and compare what we've done to what they've done , let them have the carling cup but they have to go win it first which won't be easy , looking back at tuesday on a positive note i can honestly say i wasn't to upset like i would have been if it had been the league or the FA cup.

Last edited by LOBO on Thu Sep 23 2010, 21:42; edited 1 time in total
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Sep 23 2010, 21:42

I agree Len. Billy Nick would have gone for everything. What with Chelsea Man City and Liverpool out had we beaten Arsenal we would have had a great chance of winning it again. In the run up to Spurs winning it in 2007 Chelsea put out a decent team every round.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Thu Sep 23 2010, 21:45

Boltjean wrote:I believe that you should go all out to win any trophy, yes even the Carling Cup. I think to hold back many of our 1st team players in the hope we will do well in the premiership or champions league is taking thing's a bit forgranted, and this has been Wengers big mistake for quite a few season's now, and he knows it. He knows the fans want a trophy and are not just going to be happy with being in the top four season after season, getting into the Champions League, and then failing time after time, he knows they are not a Chelsea or United, and are unlikely to win the Premiership, so desperation is setting in, he has to win a Trophy and if it's the Carling Cup I am sure the Arsenal fans who have always classed this competition as the Micky Mouse Cup will soon change there mind and will be very happy, especially if we end up with nothing.

I dont do this often Len, but i disagree, managers always have to second guess each other, in every game and this time Wenger won. But at what cost? They already have a host of injuries and now they have no back up for Clichey as Gibbs is injured. Some of the players will at worst be on the bench over the weekend after playing 120 minutes of football. Wenger is desperate and Tuesday showed that, Fergie used to rest a young Giggs and his now playing at abt 57 years of age!! Wilshire is a fantastic talent and could be burnt out in a couple of years.
    Harry wnet with a decent mixture of youth and experience, it did not know that Bentley, would have an absolute shocker and most of the team had never even played together, lot alone in the same team, you cant say that about most of the Arseanl team that was fielded, yet we took them to extra time, something to celebrate, not bemoan.
    In a way im glad we are out this competition and some young players got the chance to play, it will stand them in good stead, come Sunday after beating West Ham with our fresh, rested players (most of their first team played in mid week)im sure most will realise
    it was the right decision by Harry, i certainly want to play in the Champs League every season, rotating the squad like this is the only way we can achieve that.
    Once the gloating has worn away, most Gooners will realise how sad it is that Wenger needed to put out such a strong side to actually try and win something, anything.

MarkA249
    MarkA249
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by MarkA249 Thu Sep 23 2010, 22:59

Agree with Lobo i was really miffed the other night but only cause we lost to the scum if we lost to any other team it would not bother me as much. Wenger beat Arry with the mind games with the team he put out. As for the Fa Cup the Champs League group stages end in December if we qualify expect reserves in the 3rd round of the cup i know the knockout does not start till Febuary but he will still want to rest them. But if we finish 3rd and in the Europa League tough one to choose does he try and win that or the Fa Cup. And bottom of the group means he will go for the Fa cup.
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Thu Sep 23 2010, 23:21

Dave, I know what you are saying re injuries and I agree with your view of wanting to be in the Champions League every season, but would you, like the Arsenal fan's get a bit fed up with being in it but not winning it season after season, I know I would. imo it would be like finishing 4th every season without winning the premiership, reaching the FA Cup semi final season after season and not getting to the final, I believe all supporters want to win a trophy no matter how small that trophy is, better than not winning any at all and I think that is what Wenger is now thinking, as I said they are not a Chelsea or United and he must not just feel that City are a threat but us as well. I think he is loosing the plot and it showed after the Sunderland game, he is scared if he does not win something, anything this season the fans will turn on him.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Thu Sep 23 2010, 23:42

but would you, like the Arsenal fan's get a bit fed up with being in it but not winning it season after season, I know I would.

Of course Len, but we need to get that continuity first and once we are established as a top 4 team, then worry about not winning any silverware. Top 4 means champs league, means better players and current players like Bale and Modric signing extended contracts.
    Im guessing Van Der Vaart would not have signed for us if we wernt in the Champs League, so the league has to take priority. Once we have got there im sure Harry or whoever the manager is wont make the same mistakes as Wenger in thinking that he can win everything
    with what he has and not get a new keeper and better defenders to actually win something.

totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Sat Sep 25 2010, 06:02

Len what if we play our best players in every game including the CC and we suffer a lot of injuries, get knocked out after a couple of rounds, suffer 3 or 4 injuries to important players and finish in 7th place out of all cups and nothing to look forward to for the next season. Simply because we played to many games in a competition that doesn't matter any more. OK it could happen anyway, but it's the way the top sides play and it works for them.

Ask any gooner would he prefer to win the CC or finish 4th in the prem I know what he would say.

If Harry had played our best side on Wednesday and we had lost say Bale and Hudd or especially VDV, or all three and it is possible Harry would have been lynched for ruining our season.

It may seem like we are getting cocky about things but we are in a different, more important position now than we have been for a long time, in fact we have never been in this position since they started the Prem. Maybe the season will end in tears and it's back to the grind of previous seasons, but we have to take our chance while we have one and if it means playing the wives in the CC with Harry's wife in goal then I'm all for it.

Mikey M
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Sat Sep 25 2010, 06:07

hi mikey , you watched any of that dvd yet ?

Post by Guest Sat Sep 25 2010, 06:21

Len ! you must remember the old leeds united and ipswich sides of the seventies when robson was in charge of ipswich, both these fallen clubs fought on all fronts, sometimes getting involved in cup replays etc etc, they were just knackered and couldnt cope with the influx of matches they had week in week out because they were going for everything , eufa comps as well as domestic trophies.

You often wonder would they have won more if they had concentrated on maybe a couple of trophies instead of everything .......

Yes bill nic would have always put out his strongest side but its a different game now, money has taken over and winning domestic trophies have been devalued by the bigger clubs only taking seriously the competitions where the money rewards are best.

Unfortunately thats the modern game len !
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Sun Sep 26 2010, 02:08

shearspur wrote:hi mikey , you watched any of that dvd yet ?

Hi Shear no I've been out and away a lot this week but intend to watch it all on Sunday.

Thanks again

Mikey M

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 04 2024, 00:10