The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
are we eating our words EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
are we eating our words EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
are we eating our words EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
are we eating our words EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
are we eating our words EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
are we eating our words EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
are we eating our words EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
are we eating our words EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
are we eating our words EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

are we eating our words Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+5
djfitzo
totalytot
LOBO
ArnieArdiles
BazSpur
9 posters

are we eating our words

are we eating our words Empty are we eating our words

Post by Guest Tue Sep 28 2010, 05:18

Are we eating our words over Darren Bent?
    What would we give for a striker who scores at a rate of two goals in every three Premiership games? Well sadly we gave him away the vast majority of fans applauded the decision.

As we yet again see Darren Bent score an away double over the weekend, there is more egg on the faces of three Spurs managers and thousands of Tottenham fans who seemingly didn`t want or rate the striker we bought from Charlton, seemingly from day one.

Now I can put myself forward as someone who actively wanted him to get his chance and was amazed that so many people didn`t recognise the qualities he had and is a player who, if given the chance, will always score at a very healthy rate.

Aside from questioning his attitude at times, it was difficult to question his ability to score, and not just as a flat track bully or in nice friendly home games. Bent is a player who`s game seems to be stronger against the big boys and unusually away from home, if you don`t believe me take a look at his stats over the last few years.

Since joining Sunderland last summer, Bent has scored an astonishing 29 goals in 44 Prem games, which compares with the very best, especially when he will never get the service of the likes of Drogba or last season, Rooney, whilst I am sure it won`t take long for some to argue that he takes his sides Penalties, but how many of those are caused by his own nagging enthusiasm?

Compare his record with our current fit strikers, who have scored a combined ONE GOAL this season and TWENTY since the start of last season and it is difficult to argue that Bent is the better striker and what would we give to have him playing the lone role for us today?

Of course I conveniently ignore the 18 Premiership goals scored by Jermain Defoe in the same period, but are we truly convinced that he will shine in this new 4-5-1 formation, whereas Darren Bent is well established in the role as a solitary striker and I don`t think there is a better one in terms of his work off the ball and his strike-rate on it.

Perhaps Darren didn`t do himself any favours, with his seemingly sulky attitude, but when we consider that in Martin Jol and Harry Redknapp we have had two managers famed for being great man managers, but both failed to get the best from the player, whilst the reputation of Juande Ramos is seemingly soiled forever.

However I seem to recall that Robbie, Pav and previously Jermain, have all expressed disappointment at not playing football, but perhaps did it in a manner more acceptable to management and fans, or is it simply a case of he wasn`t liked by the fans and he was always an acceptable scapegoat for the manager because of it?

I have always found it incredible that our fans who have always been seduced by a large price-tag, never accepted the fee we paid Charlton for Bent and used the pathetic reasoning that he wasn`t a Tottenham player or didn`t have a great touch, well surely his goal record counters every negative, there is.

If I am to defend Harry here it is possibly that he didn`t really want to sell Bent and perhaps would have preferred to sell Pavlyuchenko or Keane instead. With the signing of Crouch, he seemed the ideal replacement for Pav and would have probably worked very well with Bent, as he did with Defoe, similarly we knew there was chemistry between Bent and Keane and a pairing of Defoe and Bent, could be either Brilliant or useless, but with two other strikers of contrasting styles you have a great balance, something we sadly lack now.

This clearly isn`t an article to suggest we buy the player back, because it will never happen, but perhaps it is more of a time to consider our own rash judgements on players and even managers....

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

are we eating our words Empty Re: are we eating our words

Post by BazSpur Tue Sep 28 2010, 05:54

I also said at the time I thought it was a mistake and he should be given more playing time.

Post by Guest Tue Sep 28 2010, 06:19

Darren Bent could not do it at Spurs. He has found his place at Sunderland. Let's look at this further and maybe call back Andy Reid, Zokkora and all the other players who didn't quite make the grade? FFS expectations are far too high on here . . . . . . .
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Tue Sep 28 2010, 06:29

Well, we have done it before Vis, defoe, Kaboul, Keane ect, etc.

Post by Guest Tue Sep 28 2010, 06:32

So let's bring Bent back ? Oh please, no, no, no. He has never done it at the highest level and IMO he never will . . . . . . .

Post by Guest Tue Sep 28 2010, 06:48

omg vis what a stupid statement. he scored 18goals for us. most from the bench

crouch 2010 league games 4
    defoe league games 2010 4 1pen
    pav 6 goals in 2010 in less starts

darren bent already got 7 goals this term.
    darren bent scored 2 at anfeild . he scores aganst big teams.
    how can you say he wouldnt cut it in a big team. surley at man u or arsneal he would get so many chances then he gets atsunderland.

the 451 we play now would suit bent
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Tue Sep 28 2010, 07:00

I think he suffered at Tottenham because of the price tag and the fact he wasnt really a manager buy but a DOF one? I'm pretty sure it were Comoli signed him so that wasnt a good start for his career at the Lane ...Dont think Jol fancied him and we already had the much loved at the time Keane and Berbatov partnership and not forgetting Defoe ... After so many seasons as the top man at Charlton I think he needed the same at his new club but no way was he going to get it at Spurs , not with the other attacking options we already had. ....
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Tue Sep 28 2010, 07:11

Im pretty sure if Bent were with a top club he would get goals as Loughtan says but he could just as easily go the other way ..For example, look at Berbabtov at Man Utd , now in his third season and who has struggled to score goals there ... Its a different pressure when you're the main man, are the big fish in a small pond at an average team, as opposed to being in one going for the top honours and in competition for your place with other top international players ..

Post by Guest Tue Sep 28 2010, 07:38

Bent is a pedestrian player. If he's soooooooooooooo good why is he at Sunderland ? If he's that good Chelsea, Utd or a big foreign club would have bought him. Very average player who has been found out at the highest level (Spurs & England) but who has, and good luck to him, found his niche at Sunderland . . . . . . . . .

Post by Guest Tue Sep 28 2010, 07:40

Loughtonlegend wrote:omg vis what a stupid statement. he scored 18goals for us. most from the bench

crouch 2010 league games 4
    defoe league games 2010 4 1pen
    pav 6 goals in 2010 in less starts

darren bent already got 7 goals this term.
    darren bent scored 2 at anfeild . he scores aganst big teams.
    how can you say he wouldnt cut it in a big team. surley at man u or arsneal he would get so many chances then he gets atsunderland.

the 451 we play now would suit bent

But he has gone lought ! maybe you are right but he has gone.....whats the point in keep yearning for old players that spurs have sold.?
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Tue Sep 28 2010, 08:54

I wouldnt want to see Bent back at spurs i dont really rate him to be honest , dont get me wrong he is a good striker but nothing special

Post by Guest Tue Sep 28 2010, 12:30

found hes level. scoring for every club hes played for.

since hes been in the prem hes been english top goalscorer apart from last season behind rooney.

the guy is full of goals and at the end of the day thats what a striker job is
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Tue Sep 28 2010, 16:52

I must admit that its hard to get away from the stats and he does score goals but at clubs like Sunderland and Charlton. Where perhaps their style of play suits him but for us when he played he looked like a fish out of water and in an England shirt he looks completely lost.
    He will go on scoring goals for Sunderland or wherever if he moves on to, providing it's not at a top club.
    I wish him well and he's having a great season but he was not for us the same way that half the Sunderland team we sold them a couple of seasons ago were not for us. So lets move on.

Mikey M
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Tue Sep 28 2010, 19:18

Loughtonlegend wrote:found hes level. scoring for every club hes played for.

since hes been in the prem hes been english top goalscorer apart from last season behind rooney.

the guy is full of goals and at the end of the day thats what a striker job is

But you cant make them on your own Lought, he gets good early service from Sunderland, Crouch, whatever his limitations has had poor service, but put the ball in the right area and he will score.

shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Tue Sep 28 2010, 20:04

bent maybe scoring now but i saw him miss to many easy chances at the lane. yeah he got some goals for us but i think he blew a hell of a lot more.
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Tue Sep 28 2010, 20:17

I think Bent cant handle playing at the higher levels. He couldnt handle playing for Spurs and when called up by England, he looks a lost cause. I agree that he is a natural goal scorer, but that would only happen at a club like Sunderland or the lower league teams. Its a confidence problem.
    SuneJim
    SuneJim
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by SuneJim Wed Sep 29 2010, 01:10

Darren Bent is a good goal scorer as i've always said, give him the ball in front of goal & he can get a good shot or header away. His way of playing is tailor made for Sunderland.

But the bloke can not play football,,,,,,,, simple as. He can't play with his back to goal to bring others into play he can't run the channels & create for others. His technical ability is all most zero as well.

He's certainly a good enough goal scorer for the Premiership, but he's not a good enough player for Spurs. Plus look at his England Career he's only in when all else are injured. At the top level you need more to your game.

Post by Guest Wed Sep 29 2010, 02:49

if you look at rooney record for england in the tourmnets its nuffin short of a disgrace. all we ever here is he needs games to get hes fitness back. well hes had so many games now. i wonder if any manger will have the balls to drop him.

england should be about the best team not the best indivduals
    sarflondonar
    sarflondonar
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Post by sarflondonar Wed Sep 29 2010, 04:37

SuneJim wrote:Darren Bent is a good goal scorer as i've always said, give him the ball in front of goal & he can get a good shot or header away. His way of playing is tailor made for Sunderland.

But the bloke can not play football,,,,,,,, simple as. He can't play with his back to goal to bring others into play he can't run the channels & create for others. His technical ability is all most zero as well.

He's certainly a good enough goal scorer for the Premiership, but he's not a good enough player for Spurs. Plus look at his England Career he's only in when all else are injured. At the top level you need more to your game.

I think that's a fairly good assessment of Bent, he's not a footballer he's a finisher.

But there is something to be said for a finisher. Gary Lineker, Robbie fowler, michael owen all come under that bracket. They all did it at the highest level, not sure Bent has bollox for it.

Post by Guest Wed Sep 29 2010, 04:52

sarflondonar wrote:
    SuneJim wrote:Darren Bent is a good goal scorer as i've always said, give him the ball in front of goal & he can get a good shot or header away. His way of playing is tailor made for Sunderland.

I think that's a fairly good assessment of Bent, he's not a footballer he's a finisher.

But there is something to be said for a finisher. Gary Lineker, Robbie fowler, michael owen all come under that bracket. They all did it at the highest level, not sure Bent has bollox for it.

Thing is Sarf all the finishers you've mentioned had some natural skill and the ability to involve the rest of team. Young Dazza the Twitterer dosen't have either . . . . .

Post by Guest Wed Sep 29 2010, 06:28

in lineker own words he said all he could do was finish. How can bent be that bad if hes constantly scoring goals aganst good teams.

if he was spanish we would all be going mad about him.

Post by Guest Wed Sep 29 2010, 07:01

If he was Spannish Lought he would never get a game for the national side like he has for England ! Bent is suited to team like Sunderland (and I mean this in no way disrespectfully) where both the individuals and teams style of play are suited. For Spurs it never came off and it was in the intrest of both player & club to part company. Often the way. Look at Berbatov and how long it has taken him to find his game at Man Ure ? Now that is a player I would have back on current form but not unless his attitude has changed . . . . . .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17 2024, 13:02