The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
great news EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
great news EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
great news EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
great news EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
great news EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
great news EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
great news EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
great news EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
great news EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

great news Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

5 posters

great news

great news Empty great news

Post by Guest Mon Nov 15 2010, 09:10

Tottenham will consider selling Peter Crouch when the January transfer window opens for business.

Despite finding the net five times in the Champions League this season, Crouch has scored just once in the Premier League this season.
    That was yesterday in the 4-2 win over Blackburn!

Boss Harry Redknapp warned Crouch to pull his socks up last week or face the threat of losing his place for club and country with rival strikers breathing down his neck.

But Redknapp also has ­worrying concerns about his ability to play alongside and utilise the strengths of Rafael van der Vaart, who was signed from Real Madrid on August transfer deadline day.

Jermain Defoe is close to returning after ­surgery to repair ankle ligament ­damage and unless Crouch’s form shows signs of radical ­improvement he faces the imminent axe from the side.

Redknapp has also made no secret of his desire to strengthen his front line options.

If an offer came in for Crouch that met Spurs’ £8million valu­ation Redknapp is unlike­ly to stand in the ­player’s way providing he gets boardroom assurances that the money will be made ­available to him to strengthen his squad.

In an ideal world Redknapp would still prefer to off-load either Robbie Keane or Roman Pavyluchenko. But Spurs are not interested in loan deals for Keane and have already ­rejected two cut-price offers for their Russian marksman.

While Redknapp is ­considering a striker or two out of White Hart Lane, Van der Vaart’s wife Sylvie has revealed how thrilled they are by life in London.

Sylvie, the new face of French cosmetic ­giants L’Oreal and presenter of one of the biggest TV shows in Germany, said: “Rafa has found his place and his happiness. This is why he is in the best form of his life.”

The actress and model added: “We’ve found a ­beautiful house in ­Hertfordshire.

“When Inter Milan were over to play Spurs two weeks ago, we saw Wesley ­Sneijder and his wife Yolanthe out in London. The next morning I realised I had lost one of my shoes, but the next day it was in the ­letter box the next day.

“The driver had come all the way back to deliver it, he had found it in his car.”

Great hear VDV wifes comment about how Happy they both are in ;ondon and at Spurs

great news Empty Re: great news

Post by Guest Mon Nov 15 2010, 09:11

vdv loves life in london. great story about hes wives shoe

Post by Guest Mon Nov 15 2010, 17:02

Bet the driver got a big tip ! lol! lucky it werent her knickers she lost ? very embarrassing, and the taxi driver would probably have kept those..... lol!
    cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by cynicsid Tue Nov 16 2010, 02:26

I thought Crouchy was pretty much MOM against Blackburn. Won nearly every ball, played players in, plenty of trick play and defended better than anyone on the set plays, while pav was denying passes to others and missing 6 out of 7 chances, including not getting it between the sticks on a pen.

I dunno where you get this dislike of Crouch from Lought But I'd take him over 3/4 of the premiership strikers any day. In fact if you listen to VdV we would be at the bottom of the league if he hadn't been setting em up for him to put away.

He' got a Spurs badge on his chest, Give the bloke a break.

Post by Guest Tue Nov 16 2010, 03:30

most of the time hes flick ons go to nobody.
    crouch done really well in our own box defending but as a striker no thanks.

pav done more in that game as a forward then crouch has all season.
    pav movment to recive the ball. did you see the 2 power shots pav had.
    he also scored a great header then missed a pen. you need to watch the game and see all of pavs flick ons and movment.

hes our top scorer this season. in fact hes our top scorer for the last 3 seasons not bad for a guy thats mostley a sub.
    cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by cynicsid Tue Nov 16 2010, 06:09

Loughtonlegend wrote:most of the time hes flick ons go to nobody. That would be cos there's nobody there most of the time like theres supposed to be

crouch done really well in our own box defending but as a striker no thanks. He Did

pav done more in that game as a forward then crouch has all season. Complete Tosh, 5 goals in europe and at least 6 assists in the league, & as for keeping the pressure on at the front Crouch is infanantly better.

pav movment to recive the ball. did you see the 2 power shots pav had. No, what happend to them????

he also scored a great header then missed a pen. you need to watch the game and see all of pavs flick ons and movment. I thought I saw Crouch score as well, I suppose that was just luck.

hes our top scorer this season. in fact hes our top scorer for the last 3 seasons not bad for a guy thats mostley a sub.
    He's had 16 appearances and scored 8 goals, it's good but it's not great, especially when your the sort of player that wont pass and let another striker score.
    But all that is besides the point. As it happens I quite like the way Pav is growing into the team. The point is WTF pick on Crouch, He's done an excellent job most of the time. he never hides (not that he could) he scares the oppo into changing tactics by keeping pressure on the back line. He's also scored some crucial goals for us, not least in europe.

It is possible to have a favourite without the others being crap you know, I can understand you may wish to view Pav as the better player I just dont understand the need to disrespect a Spurs player that has done so much for the club.

Post by Guest Tue Nov 16 2010, 06:35

pav movment to recive the ball. did you see the 2 power shots pav had. No, what happend to them??? well crouch scored from pav shot.

yes 8 goals in 16 games. 12 as a sub. now go and compare that to crouch whos played almost every game and has 2 goals.

maybe you wana compare pav champions league goal or even maybe fa cup goals or leage cup goals.
    we play better without crouch in the team just ask most spurs fans.
    im not sayin pav perfect but hes a better striker then crouch
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Tue Nov 16 2010, 06:40

i agree, give crouch a bloody break.he gives his all every week and going through a bad patch not on his work rate just the goals have dried up a bit but they will come. imo he is a very important player for us and gives us good options. i dont buy into the crap that everyone says we play long ball all the time cos we dont . there is more to the team than that and i just dont see them always lumping it up to him. more often than not the ball is played from defence to midfield along the ground and into the box that way. yeah crosses come in high fom the wingers and thats what thei supposed to be doing. unfortunately a lot of people are agreeing with loughts opinion about crouch cos some of the "expected" results havent come and crouch seems to be the whipping boy. im glad hes at spurs and theirs not many out there available i would swap him for.hes scored important goals and will do again. give him a break.

Post by Guest Tue Nov 16 2010, 06:47

when has crouch ever had a purple patch. the amount of chances we set up for him and he stil cant score

Post by Guest Tue Nov 16 2010, 07:34

Here comes the cavalry lought ! and to tell the honest truth the bloke does put a lot of work in, and is always well marked, problem is he is being judged by how many goals he scores by many on here, not his work rate, perhaps the respect opposing teams give him by marking him so well with two defenders should also be used as a yardstick on how we all rate him.

He wont ever be a prolific scorer lought ! but he will create space and draw defenders with him, and then he might pop a couple of crucial goals in now and again.

Have to agree with sid and shear on this one, but every club has its whipping boy..... Crying or Very sad

Post by Guest Tue Nov 16 2010, 08:37

jenas seems to be a whipping boy but i rate him. more then i do wp and so far sandro has not inpressed me.

il agree that crouch works hard for the team and def puts a sh*t in.

Harry needs to go back to 442 because 451 really dont suit pav or crouch
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Tue Nov 16 2010, 09:08

What can you say about Pav? Missed 2 absolute sitters, had 6 attempts on goal and scored one.

He also had probably the best game I've ever seen him play in a Spurs shirt, he was all over the place and instrumental in many of our best attacking moves.

But Sid is 100% right about Crouch here. The witch hunt that is conducted against him, almost on a daily basis, is nothing short of disgusting to me. It has been said often that we at Spurs love a trier ............. Except Crouch it seems. The guy works as hard, if not harder, than any player on the pitch, always makes himself available and exerts constant pressure on the back 4. His defensive contribution is invaluable, particularly at set pieces, something we used to be so vulnerable to but now seem to take in our stride. He lost 1 header all day against Blackburn.

Lought, you seem to have this attitude that to like Pav you have to instantly DISlike Crouch. Why? The pair of them were excellent Saturday but you only praise Pav. You have shown nothing but disdain towards Crouch from the moment he signed for us. You are there with the others proclaiming one of our fullbacks a 'legend', for scoring a winner against West Ham, but give nothing to Crouch for any of the goals he scores, even the one that put us in the CL for the first time in our history. You even proclaimed that he didn't do much, it just hit him and went in!

I have a suggestion mate, reserve your hatred for the players of other teams, not for one of ours who sweats blood in the Tottenham cause. Enjoy the contribution that Crouch makes ALONG WITH the contribution Pav makes.

There are times when he does deserve the criticism sent his way, but most of the time he doesn't.

And I agree with Shear, I don't buy into this 'long ball' argument that keeps being bandied around. I too watch the games and I see a team whose attacks are multi dimensional, intricate play through the middle, wing play on both flanks, long ball for knock downs. We use all the tools in our toolbox.

Although I still believe we need a top flight striker, I don't see that hating our own players is going to help.

Post by Guest Tue Nov 16 2010, 11:18

Ion its good that you also though pav was superb aganst blackburn as vis thought he was poor prob cause he missed the pen.

I have to admit i have never rated crouch. i even said in the summer before we got him that i had a bad feeling we would get him.

hate is a strong word but i feel harry loyalty in continue to play him has cost us points. When defoe back ill dare say we wil see pav slip back down the pecking order.

I have said already crouch worked hard on saturday doing defensive dutys
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Tue Nov 16 2010, 17:53

I make Lought right regarding Pav and Crouch but this week we got the Goons at the Shamirates Kebab House so unity calls if you please ! lol ...
    Whoever of the two, Harry selects for the game, I reckon will score a goal, in fact I predict our forwards, with both the return of , Defoe and with the opening of the transfer window on the horizon will amaze us all by upping their goal stats ! COYS!!!!!
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Tue Nov 16 2010, 22:01

[quote="Loughtonlegend"]Ion its good that you also though pav was superb aganst blackburn as vis thought he was poor prob cause he missed the pen.

Well I thought he was far from poor. His movement was excellent and, if he keeps that kind of workrate up, I can see him forging a partnership with Defoe. I don't know if you saw it, but when Pav was taken off, Harry got up to met him off the field and congratulated him on a good game. I think he was pleased that Pav got stronger, and more determined, after his misses rather than going into hiding.

I've always liked Pav but my estimation of him went up a few notches after seeing that.

I have to admit i have never rated crouch. i even said in the summer before we got him that i had a bad feeling we would get him.

But he's with us now and, as such, deserves the support, particularly as he's probably the most consistent player on the pitch. He's always in the mix, he's always making a nuisance of himself, he never goes missing and his work rate is second to none.

No he's not going to be a golden boot challenger but, more often than not, he's in there where things happen, often he's the one making them happen.

hate is a strong word but i feel harry loyalty in continue to play him has cost us points. When defoe back ill dare say we wil see pav slip back down the pecking order.

Yes, hate was probably too strong a word mate. 'Intense dislike' more suitable? Whatever it is Lought, it leads you to never giving the guy any due that doesn't come grudgingly. He couldn't work any harder to win respect but he so rarely gets it. I don't think he'll ever be the type of striker that can take us to the next level, but that doesn't diminish my respect for what he does bring us or the effort he puts into every game.

If nothing else, he deserves respect for his efforts.

I agree with you, to a certain extent, regarding Harry, but you have to admit that Pav can often drift out of a game where Crouch is always in it, always trying to make something happen. This is one of the reasons I was so impressed with Pav on Saturday, he brought that into his game and was, apart from the misses, excellent.

Harry has also laid down the law to Crouch, who responded with a goal, a real opportunists goal too, but I felt he was really pleased with Pav so I expect he'll get more playing time if he keeps that kind of workrate up.

I have said already crouch worked hard on saturday doing defensive dutys

You did, but we can see that you did so grudgingly. You gave him no credit whatsoever for the work he did up front too. We know his goal came from a Pav strike but it didn't fall to him alone with an empty net, he had to react quickly and take an opportunity that presented itself. He reactd like a top striker and he should be recognised for that. He had a few balls fired into his head but he had far more to feet, which were used intelligently to bring others into the play.

You don't have to like the bloke Lought, but you have to be honest and recognise the good he does, as well as the bad.
    cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by cynicsid Wed Nov 17 2010, 00:49

Well said Ion,

So much more gracefull than me. LOL
    Personally I think Crouchy suffers an Is'm be it tallis'm or ganglyis'm or just plane not the usual looking blokeis'm. If he did'nt he would probebly still be at Pool.
    He gets a bad deal off ref's (appauling in europe) He's double marked most of the time. Anyone falls over near him and they get a free kick but he can be knocked all over the place and the ref's seem to think he should have to take it.

I'm Glad we've got him.

Post by Guest Wed Nov 17 2010, 06:25

yep i saw harry have words with him when he came off. Harry was def pleased with him.

pavs always so happy when he scores lol
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Wed Nov 17 2010, 08:40

cynicsid wrote:Well said Ion,

So much more gracefull than me. LOL

Why thank you brother Sid, very graceful of you to say so lol!

Personally I think Crouchy suffers an Is'm be it tallis'm or ganglyis'm or just plane not the usual looking blokeis'm. If he did'nt he would probebly still be at Pool.

I make you right there mate. I can remember visiting the Scouse board on the old AOHELL site and Crouch was often debated there. The response to him was almost exactly as it is on here with some isliking him for no other reason, it seemed, than that he was tall, lanky and didn't look like your stereotypical Footballer. The 'opposition' stated pretty much the same as we did, that he is probably one of the most versatile strikers in the Prem.

I agree with Lought though regarding the utilisation of our squad. Having Defoe back should help to add a different dimension but I still think we should try Gio out up front, I really do have a feeling that he would be a revelation up there.

He gets a bad deal off ref's (appauling in europe) He's double marked most of the time. Anyone falls over near him and they get a free kick but he can be knocked all over the place and the ref's seem to think he should have to take it.

I know mate and not just in Europe. I felt that he had 1 cast iron pen against Everton and had a good shout for 2. The sickening thing is when you watch the likes of Chamakh taking a tumble, whenever the ambient pressure changes in the box, but Crouch doesn't get a thing when he's visibly clattered on a regular basis. Not only that, you see an identical foul elsewhere on the pitch and the ref pulls it up every time.
    It's ironic that the one pen he got was from a genuine save by Robbo.

I'm Glad we've got him.

Me too. He's not, and probably never will be, our number one choice, or even number 2 IMO, but I'd rather have him in the team than playing against it. He's effective at making life difficult for any defence he plays against.

I just wish he had more goals in him.

Post by Guest Wed Nov 17 2010, 09:19

there was a spell last month whenever chamak went down he got a pen. i think he got about 5/6 pens already this season and he was hardly touched
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Wed Nov 17 2010, 09:34

Loughtonlegend wrote:there was a spell last month whenever chamak went down he got a pen. i think he got about 5/6 pens already this season and he was hardly touched

Exactly Lought. I've seen posts on here knocking Crouch for not being strong enough in these positions. Fair enough, they do have a point but anyone with eyes can see that Crouch doesn't get anywhere near the kind of decisions that other strikers do. He hits the deck after a robust challenge, they hit the deck if the breeze picks up!
    philip
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Post by philip Wed Nov 17 2010, 10:27

I think Lou need a helping hand here, why the hell are so many people going on as if Crouch played the best game of his life.

This is my take

Lou is right to make his assessment of Crouch, however, his timing is wrong. Lou why slate the guy when he has just scored a goal after so many months, surely this can not do his confidence any good can't you wait

On the other hand I agree with Lou's general assessment of Crouch, he is really not that good for Spurs maybe for another club
    cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by cynicsid Thu Nov 18 2010, 19:01

Aghghghgh......Akhemmmm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 04 2024, 02:32