The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Lucky Spurs!! EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Lucky Spurs!! EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Lucky Spurs!! EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Lucky Spurs!! EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Lucky Spurs!! EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Lucky Spurs!! EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Lucky Spurs!! EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Lucky Spurs!! EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Lucky Spurs!! EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Lucky Spurs!! Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

5 posters

Lucky Spurs!!

stevelovesfun
    stevelovesfun
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Lucky Spurs!! Empty Lucky Spurs!!

Post by stevelovesfun Tue Nov 23 2010, 07:09

Thought that might get some attention,LOL.#
    Hello all, until the recent result,well deserved by the way,i never really looked at Spurs being a threat.
    I guess with us having a few more than usual visitors on the Arsenal board from the 3rd best team in London, i thought a call may be in order.
    A master class from Arry in how to motivate and shuffle the pack,left Arsene with a lot of egg on face in my humble opinion.
    No complaints from me, you showed far more bottle 2nd half and the 3 points were well taken.
    Puts you back into the mix,but fully expect payback on the return match.
    Burg sends his regards.

Lucky Spurs!! Empty Re: Lucky Spurs!!

Post by Guest Tue Nov 23 2010, 08:00

Lucky, lucky Spurs eh Stevo ? whinger said he thought at times it was the best you've played this season and still we won (tho' I still don't really know how lol ! ! !). Send me best wishes to Burgs. Whether it's a turning point in fortunes I will hold judgement on but until we play again I shall throughly enjoy it . . . . . . . .
    stevelovesfun
    stevelovesfun
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Post by stevelovesfun Tue Nov 23 2010, 08:11

Hi Vis,Arsene has lost the plot recently,and our home form has been awful.
    Agree with him on our 1st half showing, we played some great football.
    But thats our trouble, we should have had the game finished by half time, we certainly had the chances.
    We play lots of great football, but lack the killer instinct.
    2nd half Harry took the initiative,and he took a gamble.
    Much work for us this season if we are to lift the Prem,especially at home.
    I have been impressed by Spurs under Harry,and if you can find real consistency,you pose a threat to any of the teams above.
    Enjoy the feeling,i'm looking forward to the return at yours, and a reversal of fortune.
    I will pass on your regards to Burg.

Post by Guest Tue Nov 23 2010, 08:13

You played us off the pitch 1st half Steve. I was expecting the worst. But we came back and spanked ya. Funny ole game football . . . . . .
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Tue Nov 23 2010, 11:53

VisionarySound wrote:You played us off the pitch 1st half Steve. I was expecting the worst. But we came back and spanked ya. Funny ole game football . . . . . .

I've just watched the game again Vis and 'played off the park', in the first half, we were not. We created pressure in the goon third but didn't capitalise. They created chances and did.

Rewatching the game showed me that we invited a lot of pressure onto ourselves by hoofing the ball out rather than playing out. It tells a story that, when we did play out, we created havok for the goons and netted 3 goals.

So, some backs to the wall defending, easily explained by the fact that, until then, we'd never won at the Shamirates.

But the team worked so hard. I thought Pav had another good game based on his tireless workrate, how often did we see him getting a foot in deep in our own half? Or receiving it deep to turn & play in Defoe, Hutton, VDV or Bale? Jenas, for me, was excellent whilst Kaboul and Gallas, although the understanding isn't quite there yet, were, individually, outstanding.

You don't go to the Shamirates expecting a cruisey 90 minutes, particularly when you are Spurs. They attacked us for the full 90 minutes and we came out on top. Not because we were lucky, but because the team adapted, grafted and eventually got the win that you could see they had their minds set on.

Chuffed to bits here as the performance was about more than just putting another team to the sword, it was about the resilience and mental strength of the players snd management.

And they came through with flying colours.

Like I said in a previous post, they appear to be learning their lessons well, both the team and Harry.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Tue Nov 23 2010, 23:52

stevelovesfun wrote:Thought that might get some attention,LOL.#
    Hello all, until the recent result,well deserved by the way,i never really looked at Spurs being a threat.
    I guess with us having a few more than usual visitors on the Arsenal board from the 3rd best team in London, i thought a call may be in order.
    A master class from Arry in how to motivate and shuffle the pack,left Arsene with a lot of egg on face in my humble opinion.
    No complaints from me, you showed far more bottle 2nd half and the 3 points were well taken.
    Puts you back into the mix,but fully expect payback on the return match.
    Burg sends his regards.

Hi Steve, it's nice to see a sensible gooner on here and not one who is out to hijack Spurs threads. Have a Rep point for your trouble lol.
    stevelovesfun
    stevelovesfun
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Post by stevelovesfun Wed Nov 24 2010, 05:44

Hello BAZ,
    Thanks for the welcome.
    You know me from old, i say it as i see it,and enjoy the banter.
    Looking forward to the Cl tonight and hoping for a bounce back after the weekends disappointment.
    Will be very interesting to see how you guys perform after the lofty heights you reached against us.
    Sorry to appear all Goonerish Baz.... but whats a rep point??????
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed Nov 24 2010, 06:12

It's a reputation point given for good posts etc. You have two at the moment look under the stars under your name. If you look to the far left of any post except your own you will see a + and - sign. The plus gives Rep points to the poster. It's like a reward. If someone finds a great video on you tube or a great article about Spurs, things like that. Sometimes they are given for a funny post or a thought provoking post. Hope that makes it clearer.
    stevelovesfun
    stevelovesfun
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Post by stevelovesfun Wed Nov 24 2010, 06:31

Much clearer thanks Baz.....quite clever for an opposition forum,LOL.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed Nov 24 2010, 06:43

lol! Cheeky.
    spurslegend
    spurslegend
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by spurslegend Wed Nov 24 2010, 07:48

nice to hear burger has at long last found some gooner mates

Post by Guest Wed Nov 24 2010, 08:02

Ion we didnt play badly 1st half. we just gave away a stupid goal. gomez should of got there 1st. hes looked shaky lately but that 2nd half display should do him the world of good.
    i wish ekotto would stop just bootin the bal up feild all the time and given away possesion

great sub from harry to take off lennon for defoe. allowing clicy to get forward which left space for vdv to go into. you wil notice on bales goal clicy is nowhere to be seen.

as for the penilty the ref could of given it for any 1 of the goons who had there hands up. i though the ref was really good apart from 5minutes injury time.

Post by Guest Wed Nov 24 2010, 09:00

ionman34 wrote:
    VisionarySound wrote:You played us off the pitch 1st half Steve. I was expecting the worst. But we came back and spanked ya. Funny ole game football . . . . . .

I've just watched the game again Vis and 'played off the park', in the first half, we were not. We created pressure in the goon third but didn't capitalise. They created chances and did.

Rewatching the game showed me that we invited a lot of pressure onto ourselves by hoofing the ball out rather than playing out. It tells a story that, when we did play out, we created havok for the goons and netted 3 goals.

So, some backs to the wall defending, easily explained by the fact that, until then, we'd never won at the Shamirates.

But the team worked so hard. I thought Pav had another good game based on his tireless workrate, how often did we see him getting a foot in deep in our own half? Or receiving it deep to turn & play in Defoe, Hutton, VDV or Bale? Jenas, for me, was excellent whilst Kaboul and Gallas, although the understanding isn't quite there yet, were, individually, outstanding.

You don't go to the Shamirates expecting a cruisey 90 minutes, particularly when you are Spurs. They attacked us for the full 90 minutes and we came out on top. Not because we were lucky, but because the team adapted, grafted and eventually got the win that you could see they had their minds set on.

Chuffed to bits here as the performance was about more than just putting another team to the sword, it was about the resilience and mental strength of the players snd management.

And they came through with flying colours.

Like I said in a previous post, they appear to be learning their lessons well, both the team and Harry.

Certainly agree with you about Phil Dowd Ion. He had an excellent game. The first half I felt we where awful and where lucky to be only 2-0 down. We sat off far too much, allowed them too much space, and seemed to be hesitant and not 'up for it'. They just seemed to come thro' the centre of the pitch at will & if not for your aforementioned last ditch tackling and arsenils inability to do more than play tippy-tappy football rather than try to fashion out & out scoring chances things would have been much worse. I don't believe that was 'arrys pre-match team talk to play that way so he must have shaken things right up in the dressing room at half-time & the change the few little tactical changes he made where spot-on and completley changed the game and allowed us to go on and win in a fashion that was pleasing and satisfying. No luck, no fluke just a solid team performance after a shaky start . . . . . .
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Wed Nov 24 2010, 20:55

[b]The first half showed that we're not so clever at playing the lone front man ..... We had pace on the wings in Lennon & Bale but they were so far away from Pav, the Goon central defenders had their slippers and cigars out whilst dealing with the not so pacy Pav ...

When we play the lone front man , our wide men should come inwards offering support to the striker and not hug the touchline so much as if they're playing a 4-4-2 formation ...

Also playing a 4-3-3/ 5-4-1 formation requires the holding midfield player, Jenas in this case, to be disciplined and not stray to upfield ahead of the ball.. This has even been borne by Jenas himself in his after match praise of Gallas ..Our midfield was caught out on the back foot far to many times in the first half because of this ..

In the second half we throw on Defoe and the arrogance of the Goons didnt allow them to adapt , they just carried on with their high line... Wenger has no plan B and perhaps was one of the reasons Gallas used to get so worked up playing alongside some of their players ..Imagine if he were playing for the Goons and to have lost the game in that manner , he would've gone ballistic and further alienated himself from certain Goon Kids in the team and dare I say it with some of their following !

To summerise .....Gooners need more than a Plan A, while we have plenty to learn when we play formations other than 4-4-2 ...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09 2024, 06:37