The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
erik the viking EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
erik the viking EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
erik the viking EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
erik the viking EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
erik the viking EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
erik the viking EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
erik the viking EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
erik the viking EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
erik the viking EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

erik the viking Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

erik the viking

erik the viking Empty erik the viking

Post by Guest Sun Dec 12 2010, 03:37

Gazza revolutionises gloves!
    Gazza's pranks kept 'The Viking' entertained

Last updated: 11th December 2010
    Gazza revolutionises gloves!

Thorstvedt: FA Cup winner

How do you get hold of an ostrich, which Gazza did, then put a Steve Sedgley over it and let it loose on the training pitch!

Erik Thorstvedt
    Quotes of the week

Over the last two decades, we here at Soccer AM have learnt that when Gazza's around there's simply never a dull moment!

Tonnes of footballers have sat on the orange sofas over the years to tell hilarious stories about the former midfield maestro, and on Saturday Erik Thorstvedt became the latest in a long list.

The former Tottenham shot-stopper, known as 'The Viking', played alongside arguably one of the most gifted footballers of his generation and couldn't wait to tell Helen and Max about his eccentric side.

"Gazza was an absolute looney who could do the craziest stuff, but worse than that was that he could get Steve Sedgley to do even worse things," he told Soccer AM.

"The discipline was very lax and some of the stuff that went on was extremely funny, but not everything."

Bowels

Needless to say but 'The Viking' was on the receiving end of his fair share of Gazza pranks, but one in particular stood out.

No doubt fully aware that a goalkeeper's gloves are his most prized possession, the White Hart Lane dressing room clown convinced Sedgley to empty his bowels inside Thorstvedt's gloves!

Luckily for them the 6ft 4in Norwegian saw the funny side of it, and he revealed it turned out to be a bit of a good luck charm!

He said: "I actually always thought that it was Gazza who did this, but Razor Ruddock told me yesterday that it was actually Sedge.

"The funny thing was that the grip was tremendous afterwards! It really improved. I didn't give a rebound for two years after that incident. So it's revolutionised the goalkeeping glove manufacturing market!"

They say what goes around comes around, but in Gazza's case it just kept on going according to the former Norway international.

"I mean how do you manage to bring in an ostrich into training!?" he continued.

"How do you get hold of an ostrich, which Gazza did, then put a Steve Sedgley over it and let it loose on the training pitch!

"He told me once that when he was in Italy he struggled with the language, they spoke Italian, he didn't know that beforehand!

"He was trying to order something in a restaurant with a massive fish tank. He was going to have that lobster, but they didn't understand him so he actually went in (to the fish tank), with his suit, went to the bottom and came up (with a lobster) and said 'I want this one'!"

Title

Having spent seven years at White Hart Lane between 1989-1996, the 48-year-old says the club still holds a special place in his heart.

But while he has been impressed with how well they have done in recent seasons, he believes talk of a title charge are premature.

"They're doing tremendously well," he said. "The size and the quality of the squad (is excellent), because they've had loads of injuries, but it doesn't seem to matter.

"Of course they can (win the title), but I don't think they will. If they can manage top four again that would be fantastic, but with Man City spending all that money it's going to be difficult to get passed them."