The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
DESPITE STRUGGLES AT TOTTENHAM, HE SURELY DESERVES A BETTER TRANSFER THAN THAT? EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
DESPITE STRUGGLES AT TOTTENHAM, HE SURELY DESERVES A BETTER TRANSFER THAN THAT? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
DESPITE STRUGGLES AT TOTTENHAM, HE SURELY DESERVES A BETTER TRANSFER THAN THAT? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
DESPITE STRUGGLES AT TOTTENHAM, HE SURELY DESERVES A BETTER TRANSFER THAN THAT? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
DESPITE STRUGGLES AT TOTTENHAM, HE SURELY DESERVES A BETTER TRANSFER THAN THAT? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
DESPITE STRUGGLES AT TOTTENHAM, HE SURELY DESERVES A BETTER TRANSFER THAN THAT? EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
DESPITE STRUGGLES AT TOTTENHAM, HE SURELY DESERVES A BETTER TRANSFER THAN THAT? EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
DESPITE STRUGGLES AT TOTTENHAM, HE SURELY DESERVES A BETTER TRANSFER THAN THAT? EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
DESPITE STRUGGLES AT TOTTENHAM, HE SURELY DESERVES A BETTER TRANSFER THAN THAT? EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

DESPITE STRUGGLES AT TOTTENHAM, HE SURELY DESERVES A BETTER TRANSFER THAN THAT? Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

5 posters

DESPITE STRUGGLES AT TOTTENHAM, HE SURELY DESERVES A BETTER TRANSFER THAN THAT?

DESPITE STRUGGLES AT TOTTENHAM, HE SURELY DESERVES A BETTER TRANSFER THAN THAT? Empty DESPITE STRUGGLES AT TOTTENHAM, HE SURELY DESERVES A BETTER TRANSFER THAN THAT?

Post by Guest Sun Jan 09 2011, 08:55

As you read this, some club somewhere is preparing to announce their interest in Spurs striker Robbie Keane. Most of the bottom half of the Premier League have already made it clear that the 30-year-old striker is at the top of their wish-lists.

There’s good reason for all the hoo-ha – Robbie Keane is a proven goalscorer. Check his record. Wherever he has been, he has brought goals with him. During his original stay at Spurs he scored 80 goals in 197 appearances. He has 104 caps for the Irish national team and 45 goals, making him Ireland’s all-time record goalscorer. With his tally of 121 Premier League goals he is the League’s eleventh highest goalscorer of all time.

This is a man with credentials.

It’s clear that there’s no space for him in the Tottenham squad and that it’s time for him to move on. It’s highly unlikely that Robbie will remain a Spurs player by the end of the January transfer window. Why is it then that only teams struggling to avoid relegation seem to be interested in Robbie? Why are the likes of Birmingham and Wolves the forerunners for his signature?

Harry Redknapp has confirmed that City have made a £7 million bid for the striker, but any such deal remains far from complete.

I understand that teams fighting at the bottom need goals in order to beat the drop. Robbie Keane may seem like the perfect solution. But goals are equally important at the top of the League. Aren’t Liverpool, Manchester City (although with Dzeko on the way, perhaps not) and dare I say it, Chelsea in dire need of a proven striker?

DESPITE STRUGGLES AT TOTTENHAM, HE SURELY DESERVES A BETTER TRANSFER THAN THAT? Robbie-Keane1-300x187
    Is there a perception that Keane can’t cut it at the highest level anymore? I can’t help but feel that if Spurs gave Robbie a decent chance he’d prove that he’s still got what it takes. He’s certainly a better footballer than, say, Peter Crouch. He may be older, but he’s still got a few years left at the top of his game.

Robbie Keane would be an excellent purchase for the likes of Birmingham City. In fact, I’m sure his acquisition alone will be enough to keep them in the Premier League. But Robbie Keane must prove that he’s still ambitious by seeking a move to as big a club as possible.

Aston Villa boss Gerard Houllier confessed that the club were interested in signing the striker some time back. You can’t help but feel that Keane would be a perfect fit at a club like Villa. They remain an ambitious side who need a decent striker. With Keane in tow, I wouldn’t be surprised if Aston Villa finished the season on a high note.

What’s your take? Can Keane still compete at the top of the game?

http://www.footballfancast.com
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

DESPITE STRUGGLES AT TOTTENHAM, HE SURELY DESERVES A BETTER TRANSFER THAN THAT? Empty Re: DESPITE STRUGGLES AT TOTTENHAM, HE SURELY DESERVES A BETTER TRANSFER THAN THAT?

Post by anicoll5 Sun Jan 09 2011, 11:30

If he had devoted even the same level of energy to his trade, in terms of sharp movement,clinical shooting or general good play then you not be selling him. The difficulty is with Robbie all that fist waving, shouting and bugger all receipt
    Nice lad but not in 2011
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

DESPITE STRUGGLES AT TOTTENHAM, HE SURELY DESERVES A BETTER TRANSFER THAN THAT? Empty Re: DESPITE STRUGGLES AT TOTTENHAM, HE SURELY DESERVES A BETTER TRANSFER THAN THAT?

Post by LOBO Sun Jan 09 2011, 11:55

The thing that has always struck me as weird is that most of the posters on here and the old aol board come to that have never rated Robbie keane which i thought was rather odd when you think how many years he gave to this club, and the wonderful goals and his ability to read the game and yet hes always been labelled or accused as someone that just waves his arms about !!

I'd go as far to say he is with out doubt the best striker to grace WHL since jimmy greaves , and the so called spurs fans that slag him off mention no names should be ashamed of them selfs, didnt pat jeenings play for a*se the ultimate sin of sins yet hes still regarded as a legend, well Robbie is a Legend and always will be, maybe not on here but with the majority of spurs fans he will be...

who the feck is andy carroll

COYS
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sun Jan 09 2011, 12:08

Martin Chivers was better than Keane in my opinion.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sun Jan 09 2011, 12:48

I reckon Sheringham, Klinnsman, Lineker, Chivers and Clive Allen might just have a thing or two to say about who has been the best since Greaves.

I've never slagged Keane off, never slagged any Spurs player off for that matter, but I also feel that he is now surplus to requirements. He is in the same boat as the likes of Gio, he will have limited opportunities to prove his worth, due to the strength of our squad, and needs to impress during those opportunities. Unfortunately, both for Keane and for Spurs, he hasn't done that so needs to be moved on.

All the best Robbie, you will be remembered fondly by the vast majority at Spurs and there is no doubt in my mind that he will receive a warm welcome whenever he returns.

Post by Guest Sun Jan 09 2011, 14:38

I think you have to have a rep for that Ion .Sheringham, was my hero!!

I was at the lane (Paxton ) for his last game for us!

We lost to Blackburn, But was there for TEDDY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Guest Sun Jan 09 2011, 14:45

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sun Jan 09 2011, 18:01

Ah Teddy. I remember him running in front of the Park Lane after scoring against us kissing his Man Utd badge.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Sun Jan 09 2011, 22:18

This is the official top 10 voted by the fans

1 J Greaves
    2 A Gilzean
    3 G Lineker
    4 J Klinnsman
    5 D Berbatov
    6 T Sherringham
    7 M Chivers
    8 R Keane
    9 R Smith
    10 C Allen
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Mon Jan 10 2011, 00:01

crooks and archibald were a formidable partnership imo
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Jan 10 2011, 00:52

Great partnership Shear.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jul 08 2024, 12:31