The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
CHARLTON (My Take) EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
CHARLTON (My Take) EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
CHARLTON (My Take) EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
CHARLTON (My Take) EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
CHARLTON (My Take) EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
CHARLTON (My Take) EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
CHARLTON (My Take) EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
CHARLTON (My Take) EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
CHARLTON (My Take) EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

CHARLTON (My Take) Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

4 posters

CHARLTON (My Take)

SuneJim
    SuneJim
    Champions League
    Champions League

CHARLTON (My Take) Empty CHARLTON (My Take)

Post by SuneJim Wed Jan 12 2011, 05:09

The first half was terrible & i mean terrible. Two defencive CM's that were just to slow in possession & the wingers just kept cutting inside because they were playing on opposite wings. So we always ended up narrow. Defence was OK & the strikers in Defoe & Pav were OK it was completely devoid of any creativity from start to finish. The odd glimpse of flare & youthful exuberance from Townsend apart. The crowd were rounding on Pav for always passing the ball backwards but he had no one up with him to pass to or if they were there they were static.

We have another problem in my opinion that contributed to that first half showing & that's the lack of Reserve Team Football,, The likes of Kranjcar & Sandro who came in just weren't fit enough & match sharpe. The same applies to the youngsters who ply there trade far & wide on loan not knowing how the team play & that doesn't help in games like this. As everyone should be brought through the system playing the same way for continuity. Of course Townsend's superb display sort of put the mockers on that argument but in a larger scale with younger players i am right.

But the second half with just the addition of one player couldn't have been any different,,,,,,,, Modric came on & took the game by the scruff of the neck & choked the life out of Charlton with his quick thinking & even quicker passing. I don't think i've ever seen the influence of just one player be so immense on the outcome of a game.

But as the whole team seemed to be more focused & committed, i've got a feeling that Harry gave them a talking to as well. We started creating chances almost immediately & as soon as Townsend scored the opener there was no looking back & when Defoe finished them off with his quick fire double to silence the away section of the crowd it was done & dusted. We could have scored 7 or 8 in the end & Modric & Pav were unlucky not to score.

Basically we won that game because of MODRIC a 10/10 performance!!!

CHARLTON (My Take) Empty Re: CHARLTON (My Take)

Post by Guest Wed Jan 12 2011, 05:42

Well jim i have to admit you dont get involved much on here these days but the posts you do create are quality.

Have to rep you mate because that appraisal was spot on in every aspect.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Wed Jan 12 2011, 09:51

Someone posted on another forum that Suarez would be to lightweight for us and the premierleague, ha i can remember the pundits saying the same about Modric, but now he is without doubt the best player we have ..the bloke is class

Post by Guest Wed Jan 12 2011, 10:20

so jim who was your man of the match lol

i had to listen on the radio and they said as much about modric changed the game.

is it me or does defoe dont seem to want to pass to pav
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed Jan 12 2011, 11:18

I have to say spot on about the lack of reserve team football. As you say Modric was the difference when he came on. REPPED.
    SuneJim
    SuneJim
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by SuneJim Wed Jan 12 2011, 23:04

Loughtonlegend wrote:

Defoe is a very single minded player Lought & he just gets the ball & goes for goal. Pavlyuchenko is more of a team player & kept pulling out wide to draw defenders & give Defoe the space to do what he did.

So personally think they played the perfect foil for each other so i don't think your point is valid & it is just you Mate lol
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Thu Jan 13 2011, 00:34

SuneJim wrote:
    Loughtonlegend wrote:

Defoe is a very single minded player Lought & he just gets the ball & goes for goal. Pavlyuchenko is more of a team player & kept pulling out wide to draw defenders & give Defoe the space to do what he did.

So personally think they played the perfect foil for each other so i don't think your point is valid & it is just you Mate lol

You have to have an out and out greedy striker or you end up like Arsenal tippy tappying the ball to each other instead of actually shooting.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jul 08 2024, 12:03