The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Time for a tactical rethink ? EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Time for a tactical rethink ? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Time for a tactical rethink ? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Time for a tactical rethink ? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Time for a tactical rethink ? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Time for a tactical rethink ? EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Time for a tactical rethink ? EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Time for a tactical rethink ? EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Time for a tactical rethink ? EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Time for a tactical rethink ? Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

5 posters

Time for a tactical rethink ?

ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Time for a tactical rethink ? Empty Time for a tactical rethink ?

Post by ArnieArdiles Wed Feb 23 2011, 15:11

No knee jerking here as I expect a performance like Blackpool away considering our goal threat.... I said as much at the start of the season that, Lewis and Levy should've made sure Harry got his strikers sorted out in the summer ..Im not going with the thinking that no one was available at the time ...Since taking the job at Spurs , Harry has spent 40+ million on Crouch , Defoe and Keane and I believe up until recently , he genuinely believed they would get us the goals , yet loads of us thought different ..

I'm thinking maybe , Harry should baulk up our midfield even against the so called weaker teams like he did in Milan and at the Stadium Of Light.. I'd like to see us starting away games with Sandro and another defensive minded player, be it Palacious or Jenas and keep games tight.. I think playing this open expansive game especialy without VDV and Bale in the starting line up is not a good idea ...
    Our recent performance at Sunderland was the way we need to play away from home ...Play a tight game and win by the odd goal.. Harry must know by now we've not got a hatfull of goals in us ....

But looking at last nights game , it wasnt just the strikers ....Pienaar, Modric , the subs Kranjcar and Jenas, all had the opportunities to work the goalkeeper but instead ballooned it over or wide...

Wolves away next, I have down as a tougher game than Blackpool ... We have a few extra days to get over this and I think Harry has to look at games against the lower teams like he does against the better ones ...Keep it tight , be solid and grind out those 1-0 wins...We've not thrashed anyone this season and I dont see us starting now ...

ps ..thanks for the welcome back on the video thread I posted ..hope you all enjoyed the vids ...
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Time for a tactical rethink ? Empty Re: Time for a tactical rethink ?

Post by BazSpur Wed Feb 23 2011, 22:35

I make you right Arnie and to be honest I was surprised he didn't go with Palacious and Sandro in CM again. Wolves will be tough but let's hope we have learned something from Blackpool. We can still get 4th place it's just going to be that little bit tougher now.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Wed Feb 23 2011, 23:01

I can see where you are coming from Arnie but, correct me if I'm wrong, didn't we have enough clear cut chances to win three games?

Okay, we had 3 put past us but you can't legislate for individual error, particularly when there was no pressure.

I really don't see anything wrong with the tactics, put just 20% of those chances away and we have hammered them, the game isn't being chased and, likely, they'd have only got the two gifted to them.

We were chasing the game from early on when, had we put away even a modest quota, it would have been Blackpool chasing, then we'd be debating the Cricket scoreline as few, if any, can counterattack as well as us.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Wed Feb 23 2011, 23:52

Bad day at the office, Gomes did not have one save to make during the whole match, contrary to Kingson. I know its no excuse, but with the injuries we have had this term, we must have a fairly decent squad to be even anywhere near where we are.

Tactically, sometimes you can only go with the players you have at your disposal and lets face it, like Ion said, we had enough chances to win 3 games, coupled with some extraordinary luck on Blackpools part.

ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Feb 24 2011, 01:36

ionman34 wrote:
    I can see where you are coming from Arnie but, correct me if I'm wrong, didn't we have enough clear cut chances to win three games?

Okay, we had 3 put past us but you can't legislate for individual error, particularly when there was no pressure.

I really don't see anything wrong with the tactics, put just 20% of those chances away and we have hammered them, the game isn't being chased and, likely, they'd have only got the two gifted to them.

We were chasing the game from early on when, had we put away even a modest quota, it would have been Blackpool chasing, then we'd be debating the Cricket scoreline as few, if any, can counterattack as well as us.

Ion, many of the Spurs faithfull were predicting we would hammer Blackpool just like the Spammers did recently with Keano scoring too and Harry says he's suprised at our wastefullness .... Well Im not suprised we didnt thrash them nor Im I suprised we wasted all those goal scoring opportunities .. Surely, from the evidence we've seen this season, we've at least learnt that we dont score plenty of goals, even more so, without our two top goalscorers VDV and Bale in the starting line-up?

Our best away performances have been the backs to the wall games... Villa away, down to 10 players after Defoe's early sending off... Recently at Blackburn , Sunderland and Milan ...Forced changes due to absentees meant we altered our mindset to a more defensive game.. We went into these games to keep it tight , stop the opposition from playing their game and then hit them on the break when the opportunities arose ...At Blackpool we were set up to go for their jugular from the off , dish out a thrashing , then make our way merrily home ...
    I wanted to see us from the off, all over the Blackpool players stopping them playing their game , rough them up (within the rules) so to speak ... But instead we had both Wilson and Modric bombing forward in the first half looking to create, when one ( mainly Wilson ) should've been holding back ...We then get to see situations where that when we loose the ball on the edge of our opponents penalty box, our opponents just have to ping a diagonal ball over the heads of our midfield into our fall-back areas like, Adam was doing and then get to seethe ball in our penalty area within one or two passes more ..It's all to easy ..
    Modric is confident with a defensive minded Huddlestone behind him and with VDV further ahead as both these players will recieve a pass and then make a pass .. Yesterday , Modric had Wilson sometimes behind him and Defoe and Pav ahead of him and its just not the same ....
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Feb 24 2011, 01:39

BazSpur wrote:I make you right Arnie and to be honest I was surprised he didn't go with Palacious and Sandro in CM again. Wolves will be tough but let's hope we have learned something from Blackpool. We can still get 4th place it's just going to be that little bit tougher now.

Im not giving up on CL qualification Baz ... Afterall , this is Spurs , we like to do things the hard way and put the fans through the rinser affraid
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Thu Feb 24 2011, 01:59

ArnieArdiles wrote:
    ionman34 wrote:

Ion, many of the Spurs faithfull were predicting we would hammer Blackpool just like the Spammers did recently with Keano scoring too and Harry says he's suprised at our wastefullness .... Well Im not suprised we didnt thrash them nor Im I suprised we wasted all those goal scoring opportunities .. Surely, from the evidence we've seen this season, we've at least learnt that we dont score plenty of goals, even more so, without our two top goalscorers VDV and Bale in the starting line-up?

Our best away performances have been the backs to the wall games... Villa away, down to 10 players after Defoe's early sending off... Recently at Blackburn , Sunderland and Milan ...Forced changes due to absentees meant we altered our mindset to a more defensive game.. We went into these games to keep it tight , stop the opposition from playing their game and then hit them on the break when the opportunities arose ...At Blackpool we were set up to go for their jugular from the off , dish out a thrashing , then make our way merrily home ...
    I wanted to see us from the off, all over the Blackpool players stopping them playing their game , rough them up (within the rules) so to speak ... But instead we had both Wilson and Modric bombing forward in the first half looking to create, when one ( mainly Wilson ) should've been holding back ...We then get to see situations where that when we loose the ball on the edge of our opponents penalty box, our opponents just have to ping a diagonal ball over the heads of our midfield into our fall-back areas like, Adam was doing and then get to seethe ball in our penalty area within one or two passes more ..It's all to easy ..
    Modric is confident with a defensive minded Huddlestone behind him and with VDV further ahead as both these players will recieve a pass and then make a pass .. Yesterday , Modric had Wilson sometimes behind him and Defoe and Pav ahead of him and its just not the same ....

Also Arnie, for the first time this season Holloway showed a team respect and didnt go gung ho like they normally do, so tactically he got it right by sitting 11 men behind the ball, which is normally alien to the way they play.

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Feb 24 2011, 02:01

They certainly sucked us in and then hit us on the break.

Post by Guest Thu Feb 24 2011, 02:12

Classic counter attack football. They get the early pen then defend in depth and punish us on the break. 25 attempts, 10 on target. According to 'arry 8 open goals (tho' I don't recall that many lol). 2 Defoe chances off the line. Last night we couldn't buy a goal until Pavy hit too late to matter. Why it went like that I don't know. I saw a team dominate the 2nd half and still concede a 3rd. I saw a team give the 2nd goal away at the worse possible time. Last night almost defies logic & explanation. Do we put it down to poor finishing from the strikers ? Bad defending when better was required ? Lack of cutting edge from the midfield ? Maybe all of these and then some . . . .
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Feb 24 2011, 02:27

djfitzo wrote:
    ArnieArdiles wrote:
    ionman34 wrote:

Also Arnie, for the first time this season Holloway showed a team respect and didnt go gung ho like they normally do, so tactically he got it right by sitting 11 men behind the ball, which is normally alien to the way they play.

Thats true Dave but the out ball by Adam has often been used just like Huddlestone does for us and we didnt have a man on him to counter this ...All to often he had the time to look up and pick his pass, when really we shouldve been clattering into him ....
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Feb 24 2011, 02:43

VisionarySound wrote:Classic counter attack football. They get the early pen then defend in depth and punish us on the break. 25 attempts, 10 on target. According to 'arry 8 open goals (tho' I don't recall that many lol). 2 Defoe chances off the line. Last night we couldn't buy a goal until Pavy hit too late to matter. Why it went like that I don't know. I saw a team dominate the 2nd half and still concede a 3rd. I saw a team give the 2nd goal away at the worse possible time. Last night almost defies logic & explanation. Do we put it down to poor finishing from the strikers ? Bad defending when better was required ? Lack of cutting edge from the midfield ? Maybe all of these and then some . . . .

Vis , Teams that park the bus has been our problem for some time .... We normally put it down to their goalie having a great game and that lady luck is not on our side ... It's like you say , a number of things ...

Primarily , I think its down to our lack of composure in the final third but knowing this, tactics too have to be looked at and if it sounds like knowing after the event and having a go at Harry then sorry but thats what I saw last night...

For me we got our tactics wrong due to the fact we dont have many goals in us so we should be looking at first to strangle our opponent and then look for our our better play come to the fore ...

Post by Guest Thu Feb 24 2011, 03:01

You made the point Arnie about Adams & Thudd and the time Adams had. This gives weight indeed to your 2 holding players but would mean a return to 4-5-1. Sandra, Palicious, Moddle or VDV, Lennon & Bale. I just feel that with 2 holders in a 4-4-2 we would lose balance out wide or the guile of Moddle, thrust of VDV through the middle . . . . .
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Feb 24 2011, 03:25

VisionarySound wrote:You made the point Arnie about Adams & Thudd and the time Adams had. This gives weight indeed to your 2 holding players but would mean a return to 4-5-1. Sandra, Palicious, Moddle or VDV, Lennon & Bale. I just feel that with 2 holders in a 4-4-2 we would lose balance out wide or the guile of Moddle, thrust of VDV through the middle . . . . .

4-5-1 can also be a 4-3-3 Vis . Its 4-5-1 when we've not got the ball and 4-3-3 for fast counter attacking ... Sandro protecting the backline , with Wilson hassling Adams and Modders looking to create with three ahead of him....
    Lennon in a three up top doesnt have to be a strict winger , I'd like to see him more in a free role ...

I suppose whatever way we look at it, we would think we should have enough to beat Blackpool but football is never like that . Despite our many comebacks this season , football games are more often won by the team that scores the first goal and thats why I'd just like to see us tighten up our game like we had been recently...
    The return game at the Lane will be intresting where I expect Blackpool to employ similar tactics ...
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Thu Feb 24 2011, 03:44

ArnieArdiles wrote:
    VisionarySound wrote:You made the point Arnie about Adams & Thudd and the time Adams had. This gives weight indeed to your 2 holding players but would mean a return to 4-5-1. Sandra, Palicious, Moddle or VDV, Lennon & Bale. I just feel that with 2 holders in a 4-4-2 we would lose balance out wide or the guile of Moddle, thrust of VDV through the middle . . . . .

4-5-1 can also be a 4-3-3 Vis . Its 4-5-1 when we've not got the ball and 4-3-3 for fast counter attacking ... Sandro protecting the backline , with Wilson hassling Adams and Modders looking to create with three ahead of him....
    Lennon in a three up top doesnt have to be a strict winger , I'd like to see him more in a free role ...

I suppose whatever way we look at it, we would think we should have enough to beat Blackpool but football is never like that . Despite our many comebacks this season , football games are more often won by the team that scores the first goal and thats why I'd just like to see us tighten up our game like we had been recently...
    The return game at the Lane will be intresting where I expect Blackpool to employ similar tactics ...

Diff is there will be mainly 36000 shouting against them and they does help

Post by Guest Thu Feb 24 2011, 07:34

ArnieArdiles wrote:

Fair point Arnie, but I still worry about the balnace of the side with 2 holding players. Now a fit Thudd would hold & destroy . . . . .. .
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Feb 24 2011, 07:43

Fair point Arnie, but I still worry
    about the balnace of the side with 2 holding players. Now a fit Thudd
    would hold & destroy . . . . .. .

Back on the 6th March apparntly Vis.

Post by Guest Thu Feb 24 2011, 09:00

Hope so Baz. We have missed him . . . . . . .
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Thu Feb 24 2011, 09:50

[quote="ArnieArdiles"]
    ionman34 wrote:

[color=#000080]

[b]I still fail to see what relevance this has to the tactics mate. You don't win games defensively, you need to attack. Redknapps tactics put scoring chance after scoring chance in front of our strikers and they fluffed their lines.

The tactics didn't fail, the strikers did. That's over 40 million pounds worth of striking talent Arnie, you can't have them on the pitch and not set your team up to utilise them, regardless of their lack of goals. In order to get misfiring strikers out of their funk you need to give them opportunities and they had them in spades.

Which, apart from some of the most profligate finishing seen for donkeys years, is exactly what would have happened. Mate, they had 4-5 chances in the entire game, at home, and converted 3 of them. That's a 60 to 75% conversion rate which is phenomenal. Imagine the scoreline had we converted to that ratio.

You make it sound as though they were picking us off at will. That happened on the odd occasion, which is fairly normal for any game, but for the majority we had possession and were creating chances for fun.
    The tactics, as far as I am concerned, were sound for playing at Blackpool and on any other day we would have handed them their ass on a platter. The personnel failed and let down Harry, not his tactics.

It may not be the same mate but that doesn't mean the tactics are not effective. The quantity of opportunities and the volume of possession bear this out. I'll concede that, in hindsight, Palacios could have been reined in more to protect the back four, but then again, the back four were under very little pressure, they just dropped clangers. All of which, once again, should have made little difference if we had just converted, say, 1 in 4 of our chances, then we'd have been out of sight.

Like I said Arnie, I see where you're coming from, hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I can't really see how we can fault tactics that create enough chances to bury 3 teams in a row, but that are let down by the personnel entrusted to deliver on those tactics.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Thu Feb 24 2011, 12:04

[quote="ionman34"]
    ArnieArdiles wrote:
    ionman34 wrote:

[color=#000080]

[b]I still fail to see what relevance this has to the tactics mate. You don't win games defensively, you need to attack. Redknapps tactics put scoring chance after scoring chance in front of our strikers and they fluffed their lines.

The tactics didn't fail, the strikers did. That's over 40 million pounds worth of striking talent Arnie, you can't have them on the pitch and not set your team up to utilise them, regardless of their lack of goals. In order to get misfiring strikers out of their funk you need to give them opportunities and they had them in spades.

Which, apart from some of the most profligate finishing seen for donkeys years, is exactly what would have happened. Mate, they had 4-5 chances in the entire game, at home, and converted 3 of them. That's a 60 to 75% conversion rate which is phenomenal. Imagine the scoreline had we converted to that ratio.

You make it sound as though they were picking us off at will. That happened on the odd occasion, which is fairly normal for any game, but for the majority we had possession and were creating chances for fun.
    The tactics, as far as I am concerned, were sound for playing at Blackpool and on any other day we would have handed them their ass on a platter. The personnel failed and let down Harry, not his tactics.

It may not be the same mate but that doesn't mean the tactics are not effective. The quantity of opportunities and the volume of possession bear this out. I'll concede that, in hindsight, Palacios could have been reined in more to protect the back four, but then again, the back four were under very little pressure, they just dropped clangers. All of which, once again, should have made little difference if we had just converted, say, 1 in 4 of our chances, then we'd have been out of sight.

Like I said Arnie, I see where you're coming from, hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I can't really see how we can fault tactics that create enough chances to bury 3 teams in a row, but that are let down by the personnel entrusted to deliver on those tactics.

Everything you say in your post I agree with Ion ...the tactics we used and Harry's team selection should've been good enough to get the job done and the stats say we shouldve too !

Harry felt this was a good game for Defoe and Pav to get their shooting boots back on and thats fair enough.. But sitting down to watch the game on the comp, I just had a bad feeling about it all as Ive completly lost faith in our ability to notch up plenty of goals in a game...

I were thinking without our top scorers VDV and Bale and the fact added that we were seeing yet another disruption to our defence, I'd have preffered us sticking to the more defensive formation we've recently seen the team employ, certainly to start the game with .. Kranjcar playing behind the lone striker and Modric on the bench to come on later ...

ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Thu Feb 24 2011, 14:44

[quote="ArnieArdiles"][quote="ionman34"]
    ArnieArdiles wrote:
    ionman34 wrote:

[color=#000080]

Everything you say in your post I agree with Ion ...the tactics we used and Harry's team selection should've been good enough to get the job done and the stats say we shouldve too !

Harry felt this was a good game for Defoe and Pav to get their shooting boots back on and thats fair enough.. But sitting down to watch the game on the comp, I just had a bad feeling about it all as Ive completly lost faith in our ability to notch up plenty of goals in a game...

I were thinking without our top scorers VDV and Bale and the fact added that we were seeing yet another disruption to our defence, I'd have preffered us sticking to the more defensive formation we've recently seen the team employ, certainly to start the game with .. Kranjcar playing behind the lone striker and Modric on the bench to come on later ...

Again mate, I see exactly where you are coming from, but consider things in a different light. you, like myself, believe that the fan base plays an integral part in the performance of a player and at no time more that when they are struggling with form. Ever since the AOHELL days I have been banging on about what being a supporter means to me. It means that the players need your praise and encouragement more during the lean spells than in the Purple patches. Knowing that the fans are 'supporting' them takes a huge amount of pressure off the shoulders of a player.

This is exactly the same with the manager. Imagine you are approached by the gaffer who tells you;

'I'm playing an attacking formation geared to provide you with a shitload of chances 'cos I believe you're going to break the duck tonight. Now get out there and put the smile back on your face.'

Are you going to feel under pressure or grateful that the manager has enough faith in you to set things up to give you the best possible chance?

I know where I'd be!

Unfortunately it didn't happen. It appears that the confidence of the strikers needs a bit more of a pick-me-up.

Personally I think a few hours of enforced extra shooting practice is what's needed but what do I know?
    My point is that the tactics showed the faith Harry placed in his strikeforce to finish at least one in four and they couldn't even do that.

Let's face it mate, when there are 40 million pounds worth of striking talent on the pitch, it is not unreasonable to EXPECT them to finish at a better ratio that one in four, particularly when so many of them were gilt edged sitters. Not even a 'blip' in form can really justify that kind of profligacy.

I think it's well past time he sat the lot of them down and told them that their career at Tottenham is on the line if they don't wake up to themselves and start producing the goods. He's been giving them every opportunity, now it's time to really earn their coin.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Thu Feb 24 2011, 19:44

Personally I think a few hours of enforced extra shooting practice is what's needed but what do I know?

TBH Ion, it was one of those games where if we played for two days we wouldnt have beaten them. Harry in the paper was saying the two winners Kranj hit recently was done to him practising like hell, well when he came on he ballooned two shots into row z, so I dont even think it is practising more. My own view that is that if you dont concede, you dont lose matches, even though Manure have not been playing well, they dont let many goals in.
    All our quality is in midfield and supposedly up front. We have not had a settled back four all season and its remarkable that our goals against is as good as it is, think what it would be like if we could name the same defence for say 5 or 6 games in a row.
    Now i hate digging out players, but i have to mention Ekotto, do we need a more consistent left back, because Harry doesnt seem to be able to change his arrogant nature.
    On his day he is the best left back in the league, but he seems to be only get the enthusism up for when we play the likes of Milan etc and the Blackpools of this world are beneath him. His positional sense when he cant be bothered is shocking and taking chances in his own 18 yard area has cost us many goals, if Harry cant get him to be more consistant should we get in someone like a Nicky Shorey or Paul Robinson that is not as good but over a season will be more consistant.

cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by cynicsid Thu Feb 24 2011, 20:00

Gomes

Hutton Dawson Gallas Ekotto
    Thudd
    Lennon Modric Bale
    VDV Kranjca

I'D LOVE TO GIVE THIS A GO AGAINST THE CLUBS IN THE LOWER PART OF THE LEAGUE..
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Fri Feb 25 2011, 03:44

cynicsid wrote:
    Gomes

Hutton Dawson Gallas Ekotto
    Thudd
    Lennon Modric Bale
    VDV Kranjca

I'D LOVE TO GIVE THIS A GO AGAINST THE CLUBS IN THE LOWER PART OF THE LEAGUE..

That looks a dangerous team and is one, if all those players were available at the time, I would like to see , maybe Kaboul rather than Hutton though....

The frontline is what I'd like to have seen given a chance the most though and I'd have done it a long time ago ...Bench all the three strikers for a couple of games and go with VDV and Kranjcar....

But then you Sid or me are not the person who's splashed out the money for the goal shy forwards.....

ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Fri Feb 25 2011, 04:16

Again mate, I see exactly where you are coming from, but consider things in a different light. you, like myself, believe that the fan base plays an integral part in the performance of a player and at no time more that when they are struggling with form. Ever since the AOHELL days I have been banging on about what being a supporter means to me. It means that the players need your praise and encouragement more during the lean spells than in the Purple patches. Knowing that the fans are 'supporting' them takes a huge amount of pressure off the shoulders of a player.

This is exactly the same with the manager. Imagine you are approached by the gaffer who tells you;

'I'm playing an attacking formation geared to provide you with a shitload of chances 'cos I believe you're going to break the duck tonight. Now get out there and put the smile back on your face.'

Are you going to feel under pressure or grateful that the manager has enough faith in you to set things up to give you the best possible chance?

I know where I'd be!

Unfortunately it didn't happen. It appears that the confidence of the strikers needs a bit more of a pick-me-up.

My point is that the tactics showed the faith Harry placed in his strikeforce to finish at least one in four and they couldn't even do that.

Let's face it mate, when there are 40 million pounds worth of striking talent on the pitch, it is not unreasonable to EXPECT them to finish at a better ratio that one in four, particularly when so many of them were gilt edged sitters. Not even a 'blip' in form can really justify that kind of profligacy.

I think it's well past time he sat the lot of them down and told them that their career at Tottenham is on the line if they don't wake up to themselves and start producing the goods. He's been giving them every opportunity, now it's time to really earn their coin.
    [/quote]

We have to wonder what this game has done to the already fragile confidence of our forwards and what Harry's strikeforce will be in the next game away to Wolves ?
    Like you say the manager gave them a great oppourtunity to play against one of the premeirships poorest defences and they let him and themselves down ....

Personaly, Ive given up on Defoe as when I look back on his career I see some fantastic solo goals but I cant recall to often him having a good understanding of what's going on around him and he has never struck up a decent strike partnership with any other player... This Defoe / Crouch partnership that Harry believes he saw at Pompey and was so was willing to splash out 25 million on , I just never saw it myself ...

Im a 4-4-2 kinda footy bloke with wing play ...We have the wide players but no strikers doing it, so for Wolves away , I think it's time for one up top, VDV or no VDV with Kranjcar supporting ...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 05 2024, 20:41