The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
found this EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
found this EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
found this EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
found this EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
found this EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
found this EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
found this EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
found this EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
found this EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

found this Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

2 posters

found this

found this Empty found this

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04 2011, 01:17

Disaster at the DW....

Think the title's a tad too dramatic? I don't give a damn.

What an utterly worthless, insipid, gutless, clueless, pointless, frustrating, inept.......

continues in this vein for several hours)

...moronic, mindless, imbecilic, nonsensical.....

goes on for several weeks)

..fearful, whimpering, cowardly, spineless....

504,000,000 A.D-The Sun has burnt itself out and Earth is a cold, lifeless husk enveloped in silent, eternal darkness)

..senseless, braindead, lazy performance...

Sigh.However painful it may be,let's take it from the top.

Wigan away, April the 2nd, 2011.

Spurs travelled to the DW Stadium on the back of a run that had seen them garner two points from a possible twelve against Blackpool, Wolves and West Ham.

Simply put, this was decision time. No more mucking about. The day we would definitively announce that we were right up there, gunning for fourth spot with the same kind of lionhearted ferocity that we displayed last year. The day we would finally banish our scoring hoodoos. The day Crouch, Pav and VdV would finally overcome their recent dry spells and bang them in.

Not JD, of course, not after the way he fluffed his lines against West Ham.

Pav could play for five more years, scoring fifteen goals a season and whipping off his shirt after scoring to reveal a '100 целей в Barclays Главной Лиге!' vest, and JD would still be mournfully gazing at the turf after missing from two yards, his continually worn(and by now incredibly odorous) '100 goals' T-shirt remaining undisplayed.

Anyway, returning to the topic, this was the day we'd make a real gain on our opponents for fourth, and the words 'we owe someone a thrashing' were on the lips of many a Spurs supporter as they travelled cheerfully up to Greater Manchester, hoping to soon return with three priceless points.

Argh.

Ratings-

Gomes- 7. Saved our hides, and quite undeservedly at that. Made some smart reflex stops to keep out the likes of Moses and N'Zogbia, especially late on when N'Zogbia nearly scored with a disguised burst into the box. But by far the most important thing our loony goalie did was to be eminently(some would say disappointingly) sane. He came out well for crosses and corners, and dealt with the Wigan aerial threat despite having Boyce or someone stand in front of him at every corner, which was only made more of an impediment by Sanders( can we call him that now, like Modders?) throwing himself in between him and the Wigan player every time.

Charlie- 5.5. Poor, but not really his fault. Left without a natural winger in front of him for most of the game, he had to thunder down the wing to provide a semblance of width at every opportunity, meaning he also had to thunder back when Wigan had a break on. Great idea, only it fails to take into account the fact that hair grows faster than Corluka runs. Result-shot after shot of Corluka steam-boating his way slowly up the left wing in desperation as an opposing winger raced away. His repeated dashes up and down the wing led to him being fatigued, which also explained his hesitancy to close down their various left wingers towards the end, as he probably didn't want to give away a free-kick or a penalty. So mainly a victim of a ludicrous tactical decision.

Daws-6.5. The only one of the back four to come out of the game with any real credit, in my opinion. Solid aerially, as always, held his lines well and positioned himself reasonably effectively. Not exactly Paolo Maldini-style uber-defending, but acceptable.

Bassong-5.5. Poor. Caught out of position too many times for my liking, was bullied by Rodallega in the first half and was saved by the grace of whatever all-powerful entity is floating around in the heavens when he let Rodallega get away as he carelessly misjudged a punt up field by Al-Habsi. If Rodallega hadn't been penalized for that handball, I would not be surprised if Wigan had gone on to complete the double over us. Second half, a little more solid, but that's not saying much. Was bamboozled repeatedly by N'Zogbia and Moses' quick feet. Poor show from our only other fit defender apart from Daws. Benzema must be cursing his luck coming up against him.

BAE- 4.5. Poor. Was repeatedly outpaced, out-muscled and out-fought by the various opponents( N'Zogbia, McCarthy, Moses, Sammon) he came up against during the ninety. Was defensively suspect, and offensively poor, and was caught out of position several times. Recent consistency deserted him yesterday.

VDV-5.5. Was utterly invisible in the first twenty minutes or so, but grew into the game once he resumed his wanderings around the pitch, making a couple of good through balls that the strikers squandered and looking for the ball at every opportunity. This did come at a cost, though. His abandonment of his post meant Charlie was brutally exposed.

Sandro- 7.5. Like I asked before, can we call him Sanders now? Great game once again from our one (genuine, anyway) box-to-box midfielder. Shielded the back four expertly well, making tackle after tackle and interceptions by the ton ,and got up the field on a couple of menacing runs as well. Was the real driving force behind the team today, and the only one keeping the horrendous gaps in our defence from becoming too concerning. Still were, though.

Jenas-5. I could have sworn he was sent off in the first twenty seconds it took me to load the stream. I certainly didn't see him once in the entire ninety. He played, you say? You sure?

Modders- 5.5. First bad game from him in a while. Lost possession too easily, lacked his usual inventive spark, and didn't really lead the line on counters, alongside wandering infield leaving BAE exposed.

Defoe-5. Huffed. And puffed. And subbed. Five words should be enough. Oh, for a Mido...

Pav-5.5. Much the same as his strike partner, only he tackled, intercepted, and held the ball up pretty well. Only problem is, that's Sandro's job, not yours, Roman.

ubs-

Crouch-6. Had more shots on target(2) than anyone else on the pitch in Spurs colours.

zza-N/A

rank-N/A

arry-3.- tremendously stupid decisions by the gaffer, I'm sorry to say this, but it's true.

What the logic was putting two central midfielders wide when he knew they'd only cut inside, leaving the two full-backs, whose attacking instincts aren't exactly their strongest suits, to provide some semblance of width, when we had Lennon, Krank, Rose and Pienaar on the bench i'll never know, save for the fact that it looked absolutely, astoundingly moronic.

I'd like to know why Jenas played as well, why we only received some natural width when Lennon came on near the end of the fecking game, and why Jenas played. Oh, wait, asked that twice. Validity only intensifies, though. One eye on Madrid, Harry? So you're banking on the fact that we beat Madrid, Barcelona and then Inter or someone in the final to get back into the top four ,rather than putting away teams like Blackpool, West Ham, Wolves and Wigan?

Conclusion-Terrible, terrible performance masking a worrying problem;we seem to have given up on the league. Four games now where we could've, should've and needed to get twelve points, but ended up with three.

The players don't seem nearly as motivated to win when there's a CL game around the corner, and it showed yesterday. We made Wigan look like Brazil 1970, such was our lack of any real energy or desire to win. And with that, unless City slip up monumentally in the coming days, our Top four challenge looks to be on very, very thin ice, if not destroyed completely. Thanks, lads. Thanks, 'Arry. Thank you for getting us this far, into the quarter-finals of the CL. If your aim is really to win the thing, well, we'll be behind you one hundred percent. But if we don't, and also finish fifth or lower, and you start making noises about wanting to leave? Rest assured we'll remember performances like these when judging you.

I shouldn't really be this upset, because I've seen far worse in my time as a Spurs supporter. Par for the course, some might say. But this whole season, there is a sense in me that whatever our heroics in the CL( And the lads are absolutely heroic there, cast no aspersions on that), we've missed a bucketload of opportunities to really consolidate our regained place as one of England's top four clubs. And I hope, and I pray, that this doesn't come back to haunt us in the run-in. Although it may already be far, far too late for that.

P.S-kudos to the supporters who travelled up there yesterday, your voices boomed through the stands the whole ninety minutes, save for when it got quiet towards the end, and you couldn't really be blamed there. Alright, your only competition was an old man, his dog and his annoying drum, but it was a fine show of support nonetheless. Shame the lads didn't show they deserved it, nor did 'Appy 'Arry.

Read more: http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7508318#ixzz1ITB73yuC
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

found this Empty Re: found this

Post by BazSpur Mon Apr 04 2011, 03:11

TBH Lought the goons are saying much the same about Wenger on facebook.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Mon Apr 04 2011, 06:46

To be honest lads i don't think we will make 4th, we have a*se , chelski , manc , liverpool in our last 7 8 games and we got to hope citeh slip up, we had our chance to cement 4th when we were at one stage 5 points clear of chelski , our strikers cant score and this argument has raged since the winter transfer window and still we are waiting for them to bang erm in 3 months later , its gonna take a miracle cos the way we are performing atm we wont finnish 4th

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04 2011, 07:56

LOBO wrote:To be honest lads i don't think we will make 4th, we have a*se , chelski , manc , liverpool in our last 7 8 games and we got to hope citeh slip up, we had our chance to cement 4th when we were at one stage 5 points clear of chelski , our strikers cant score and this argument has raged since the winter transfer window and still we are waiting for them to bang erm in 3 months later , its gonna take a miracle cos the way we are performing atm we wont finnish 4th

Last season people were saying the same thing Lobo. We had games against all of the above in our last 10 games yet still we made it. OK no C/L last season but that should add to the players confidence and desire to acheive the same again . . . . . . .

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04 2011, 08:20

it wont aslong as we are in the champions league. the players can tell the manager thinks the champions league is more inportant so it rubs off on the players

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04 2011, 08:38

So do you suggest we withdraw from the competition Lought ? Just to get the league back-on track and stop not losing in games (a draw by any other name)? Then for next season we can qualify again and come a few draws ask for the same again ? f*ck me it's like living in the Magic Roundabout. BOING, time for bed . . . . . . . .

Post by Guest Mon Apr 04 2011, 08:40

noooooo i suggest we play players in there right position.

playin modric and vdv out wide was stupid.

harry stop saving players for the cup game.

play the strongest team get 2 goals up then make changes

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 12 2024, 18:36