The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Some really bad news and a warning. EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Some really bad news and a warning. EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Some really bad news and a warning. EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Some really bad news and a warning. EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Some really bad news and a warning. EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Some really bad news and a warning. EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Some really bad news and a warning. EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Some really bad news and a warning. EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Some really bad news and a warning. EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Some really bad news and a warning. Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+5
Boltjean
BazSpur
LOBO
DJSR
ionman34
9 posters

Some really bad news and a warning.

Some really bad news and a warning. Empty Some really bad news and a warning.

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23 2011, 21:40

Baz and all admin ! i dont want to make a meal of this but could you let this stay on the main forum.
    I have written this on the non subject posts posts before, but i have become quite ill and just wanted you all to know if i miss days on the transfer bollox then please bear with me.

Over the last 5 weeks i have come down with chronic tinnitus, i dont know if it will go away, it is affecting my sleep because of the ringing in my ears, if any of you want to know more about people who suffer from this then visit the british tinnitus association forum and read some of the posts on there..its terrible and my life is on hold at the moment.

I have come to know you blokes over the years on here and regard you as friends even though we havent met and though we have had some disagreements....thats opinions for you and it depends on how much you stick with your opinion, and i know i have been guilty of sticking with mine to the bitter end.

But the point i want to make is dont take your hearing lightly, dont blast away at your ears with headphones blazing, because sure as eggs is eggs you will do damage in time.

The kids using mp3 players these days are the people who could suffer from this affliction in years to come.

Health and safety isnt always over the top, if you work in the building trade or in a noisy environment then use ear defenders.

I know it isnt a spurs subject, but i hope the warning might save someone from this monster ringing away in my head.

Best Wishes Lew.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Some really bad news and a warning. Empty Re: Some really bad news and a warning.

Post by ionman34 Thu Jun 23 2011, 23:23

I work in Construction Lew and am fully conversant with Tinnitus. The effects are horrendous, I know you don't need me to tell you that.

You've probably already looked into the various different types of treatment but are you familiar with the 'Tinnitus Miracle?' It is an holistic treatment that claims to be able to cure Tinnitus for good. Just type it into the google search bar and you'll find it.

Mate, I know very little about this and would suggest, if you haven't done it already, that you do some further research on it. But hopefully it is something that can help you.

Good luck
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Some really bad news and a warning. Empty Re: Some really bad news and a warning.

Post by DJSR Thu Jun 23 2011, 23:48

I had Tinnitus that lasted around 2-3 months, and it was very annoying, maybe not as bad as yours Lew, but mine came about from this bell we use to have where i worked, like one of the bells in a fire station when theres an emergency, and the bell use to go off 20-30 times during my shift. I got use to it in the end and blocked the sound out, and was able to sleep through it luckily. Eventually the tinnitus weakend and slowly dissappeared thank god. Hope the same happens for you Lew, good luck mate!
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Fri Jun 24 2011, 00:48

I have tinnitus and so does my dad , sometimes im not aware of it and when i think about it it gets really loud and annoying that constant high pitch hiss , but its not that bad it keeps me awake, but i do have it in a mild form ..

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24 2011, 01:26

hello lew . i dont know much about Tinnitus but like ion said have a look around for information. they can do wonders these days so google tinnitus. anyway good luck mate
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Fri Jun 24 2011, 01:27

I have a mild Tinnitus but I can only hear it when I am laying in bed and everything is quiet. its like a high pitched beep, beep sound. I can put up with it as it is very mild and I can't hear it during the day and it doesn't stop me sleeping. My dad had bad Tinnitus but he said he could block it out. I guess some people can and some can't. Lew, look into the Bowen Technique. ion may be familiar with the therapy as it originated in Australia. It can bring very good results if it is going to work for you. It doesn't always though. But some sufferers of bad Tinnitus have seen results. It's an Holistic Therapy.

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24 2011, 01:49

ionman34 wrote:I work in Construction Lew and am fully conversant with Tinnitus. The effects are horrendous, I know you don't need me to tell you that.

You've probably already looked into the various different types of treatment but are you familiar with the 'Tinnitus Miracle?' It is an holistic treatment that claims to be able to cure Tinnitus for good. Just type it into the google search bar and you'll find it.

Mate, I know very little about this and would suggest, if you haven't done it already, that you do some further research on it. But hopefully it is something that can help you.

Good luck

I think i had mild tinnitus from the building trade ion, nothing much to worry about though.
    This is different, its a high pitch beep thats very loud at night.
    I looked at the tinnitus miracle a couple of weeks back, i will look at it again, i think its a downloadable book.

Thanks ion and everyone.

Lew

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24 2011, 02:17

Good luck with this Lew. Over the years I have damaged my hearing thro' loud music & stuff. I was always the loony you would see with his head stuck in the bass bins at raves ! I can remember coming out off gigs & raves and my ears would ring for hours afterwards. I have noticed a whistling in my ears from time to but fortuately nothing bad as yet. You say about kids and MP3's etc. Try telling it to 'em mate. Im always banging onto my lad about blasting stuff like System Of A Down thro' those tiny little earplugs that call themselfs headphones but, excuse the pun, it falls on deaf ears . . . . .

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24 2011, 04:19

VisionarySound wrote:Good luck with this Lew. Over the years I have damaged my hearing thro' loud music & stuff. I was always the loony you would see with his head stuck in the bass bins at raves ! I can remember coming out off gigs & raves and my ears would ring for hours afterwards. I have noticed a whistling in my ears from time to but fortuately nothing bad as yet. You say about kids and MP3's etc. Try telling it to 'em mate. Im always banging onto my lad about blasting stuff like System Of A Down thro' those tiny little earplugs that call themselfs headphones but, excuse the pun, it falls on deaf ears . . . . .

I always had slight tinnitus that i only heard at night vis, but this past 5 weeks have been hell with my sleep being affected.

Tell your lad to look at the list of pop stars with tinnitus, you can google it, townsend, will iam, phil collins, the list is endless, a woman on the bta helpline told me a recent female singer has had to give up touring due to her tinnitus becoming so bad, townsend cant even play with the who anymore due to it making it worse.
    I reckon mine has got worse by recording this year, a couple of my songs had heavy drums on and i banged away with the headphones on so as not to upset the neighbours, needless to say i am frightened of the thought of recording anymore.
    I knew my ears were a bit sensitive after playing my tracks over and over on the headphones, but the ringing started by chopping wood for a bar b que, couldnt find the axe and smashed the wood up with a hammer, my right ear felt like it closed and an instant ringing started.

All youngsters should be warned off playing those things loudly in their ears, they should come with a health warning,and i am being serious here, sometimes when i have to get the train to london youngsters are playing their mp3s and even i can hear them through the rail noise.
    Just be careful vis, i have called it a day recording, i still play my acoustic guitar and thats enough for me, i really wished i had stuck to keeping the wife happy by getting into diy at home, or called my old mates for golf.
    This is sh*t mate, i wouldnt wish it on my worse enemy, not that i have any, but you know what i mean.

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24 2011, 04:27

BazSpur wrote:I have a mild Tinnitus but I can only hear it when I am laying in bed and everything is quiet. its like a high pitched beep, beep sound. I can put up with it as it is very mild and I can't hear it during the day and it doesn't stop me sleeping. My dad had bad Tinnitus but he said he could block it out. I guess some people can and some can't. Lew, look into the Bowen Technique. ion may be familiar with the therapy as it originated in Australia. It can bring very good results if it is going to work for you. It doesn't always though. But some sufferers of bad Tinnitus have seen results. It's an Holistic Therapy.

I remember you saying that your dad masked his tinnitus with an old transistor radio baz, and one of those earphones, the advice i have received from the british tinnitus association is that i musnt use any headphones at all, not even at a low level.

I have just received a couple of items that are helping at the moment from bta , i await an mri scan, just have to hope its temporary. Shocked
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Fri Jun 24 2011, 04:41

Phil Collins has Tinnitus and bad hearing as does Pete Townshend, I think Francis Rossi of Status Quo suffers too.
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Fri Jun 24 2011, 05:46

Lew, I only know about tinnitus through reading about those that suffer from it, pop stars etc. It is hard to imagine what people go through who suffer from this, when I am in bed I can not even stand a clock ticking, so to go through what you are going through does not bare thinking about. I was a London Bus driver for 40 years, and when I was in traffic I would sometimes have a car in front of me who's driver had his radio on full belt, and the windowscreen in my cab would vibrate. I sat there thinking what idiot's as I had read about tinnitus. Anyway Lew, I hope all goes well for you and that you overcome this illness, and best wishes for a speedy recovery mate.

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24 2011, 06:09

Thanks len, i was one for quiet as well,especially at night in bed so i know what you mean.
    But i am getting help bit by bit, i think the nights are worse because i love my sleep, i have been known to sleep 12 hours before now and the wife didnt know how i did it. LOL.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Fri Jun 24 2011, 09:20

Tinnitus is loud at night i know from my own experiences , a good cure lew is a few beers..works wonders

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24 2011, 19:38

LOBO wrote:Tinnitus is loud at night i know from my own experiences , a good cure lew is a few beers..works wonders

I have tried that one and know it helps you sleep initially lobo, but then when you wake up the alcohol makes you stay awake, and with the fcking ringing as well.

Thanks though lob !
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Fri Jun 24 2011, 21:36

I don't have it myself Lew, thank God but I have a couple of mates who had it a couple of years ago and I remember how they said it affected their way of life. But the good news is neither have it anymore. I suppose it lasted about 6 to 9 months.

I'm sure yours will clear up soon.

Good luck

Mikey M
    cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by cynicsid Fri Jun 24 2011, 21:45

Hi lew, Just want to wish you well with this what must be be really frustrating problem.

I was a bit of in idiot as a teenager and I used to lay between the speakers of my hifi as if they were headphones with the thing on full blast. So I can think myself lucky that I have not been effected so far. Although I do get ringing in the ears occasionally.

In the sports flying industry you hear of it now & then because in the cabin it can be over 100DB constant noise so we use headsets to nullify the noise. some of these have an active noise reduction system called ANR which is designed to cut out background engine noise and radio hiss. This is done by listening for sound and playing the exact opposite sound which cancel's it out. Not sure why but these ANR hedsets seem to reduce ringing in the ears as a side effect. Bose have normal headphones with the same ANR system. Maybe worth a try? but I'd borrow some to try it, there a bit expensive.

Good luck with dealing with it.

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24 2011, 22:41

totalytot wrote:

I don't have it myself Lew, thank God but I have a couple of mates who had it a couple of years ago and I remember how they said it affected their way of life. But the good news is neither have it anymore. I suppose it lasted about 6 to 9 months.

I'm sure yours will clear up soon.

Good luck

Mikey M

Thanks mike, that gives me some hope that my life will return to normal and that i can get on with my love affair of tottenham hotspur. Cool

Post by Guest Fri Jun 24 2011, 22:42

cynicsid wrote:Hi lew, Just want to wish you well with this what must be be really frustrating problem.

I was a bit of in idiot as a teenager and I used to lay between the speakers of my hifi as if they were headphones with the thing on full blast. So I can think myself lucky that I have not been effected so far. Although I do get ringing in the ears occasionally.

In the sports flying industry you hear of it now & then because in the cabin it can be over 100DB constant noise so we use headsets to nullify the noise. some of these have an active noise reduction system called ANR which is designed to cut out background engine noise and radio hiss. This is done by listening for sound and playing the exact opposite sound which cancel's it out. Not sure why but these ANR hedsets seem to reduce ringing in the ears as a side effect. Bose have normal headphones with the same ANR system. Maybe worth a try? but I'd borrow some to try it, there a bit expensive.

Good luck with dealing with it.

Thanks sid, i will look into those headsets. cheers
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Fri Jun 24 2011, 23:16

yeah good luck lew with whatever treatment you can find.

Post by Guest Sat Jun 25 2011, 02:38

Going to harley street tinnitus clinic next week, first for assessment and maybe a new treatment from germany called acoustic cr neuromodulation.
    The costs are horrendous, but the wife says there is equity in our house and that my peace of mind is more important than anything.
    Great girl sharon, lucky to have her.

Post by Guest Sat Jun 25 2011, 06:35

ANR is quality noise reduction guys. It's pro standard on headcans (think BOSE).

Lew daft question but, EARWAX ?

Do you suffer with it ? Is this a base problem ? I only ask as I have known (& suffer me-self , at times and I've fecked me own hearing over the years . . . . YUCK) with this and I re-call a conversation about hissing & ringing caused by it . . . . . .
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Sat Jun 25 2011, 09:56

lewspurs wrote:
    LOBO wrote:Tinnitus is loud at night i know from my own experiences , a good cure lew is a few beers..works wonders

I have tried that one and know it helps you sleep initially lobo, but then when you wake up the alcohol makes you stay awake, and with the fcking ringing as well.

Thanks though lob !

Ever since i read this post i swear my tinnitus has got worse :P but it bothers me when i think about it, half the time im not aware of it

Post by Guest Sat Jun 25 2011, 19:20

VisionarySound wrote:ANR is quality noise reduction guys. It's pro standard on headcans (think BOSE).

Lew daft question but, EARWAX ?

Do you suffer with it ? Is this a base problem ? I only ask as I have known (& suffer me-self , at times and I've fecked me own hearing over the years . . . . YUCK) with this and I re-call a conversation about hissing & ringing caused by it . . . . . .

Its not a daft question vis, if you read the bta forum there is a thread by an 18 year old lad who had tinnitus and was worried at getting it at such a young age, a few on there advised him to check for earwax and to have it cleared out, from what i gather that was the problem for him, unfortunately, my ears are clear, i only wish that was the case.

Post by Guest Sat Jun 25 2011, 19:22

LOBO wrote:
    lewspurs wrote:

Thanks though lob !

Ever since i read this post i swear my tinnitus has got worse :P but it bothers me when i think about it, half the time im not aware of it

Sorry lob, not my intention to do that to anyone..........apologies.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 04 2024, 02:24