The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Why Mata ? EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Why Mata ? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Why Mata ? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Why Mata ? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Why Mata ? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Why Mata ? EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Why Mata ? EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Why Mata ? EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Why Mata ? EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Why Mata ? Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+2
BazSpur
LOBO
6 posters

Why Mata ?

LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Why Mata ? Empty Why Mata ?

Post by LOBO Sat Jul 30 2011, 21:19

I don't get this, we have officially tabled a £23 million bid for a midfielder when we have the likes of Modric , VdV , Lennon , Huddlestone , Sandro , Bale , Kranky , Jenas , Palacios , Kaboul , already in the squad, do we really need another midfielder ? I don't think we do , are we again targeting the wrong type of player, we got in VdV last season when we needed a striker, but that never came of and we paid dearly for it, and now we are in the same boat and yet again we are targeting another midfielder ?

Tottenham Hotspur Club Focus - Is Spurs’ transfer limbo due to Redknapp’s indecision?

By Alan Robins
    Saturday 30 July 2011

Tottenham Hotspur have been noticeable in their lack of transfer activity, despite countless rumours linking them with high profile players. This summer, as in January, there appears a sense of uncertainty over which target to actually go for, resulting in a scatter gun approach. Bids have seemed tentative and consequently rejected leaving the impression that players do not want to go to the club. This may be true of some, but other players may feel they are being undervalued by low bids - as may their current clubs. To date there have been only three arrivals, Brad Friedel, Cristian Ceballos and Souleymane Coulibaly.

The question is why? Chairman Daniel Levy has always backed his managers in the market and Harry Redknapp has been portrayed as a wheeler-dealer by the media when it comes to transfers. This may have some merit. During his managerial career Redknapp has signed 176 players at an average of just over £2m, perhaps understandable considering at the majority of clubs he has had to operate on limited finances. Within this - and allowing for inflation - only three of Redknapp’s purchases have cost more than £9m, Jermaine Defoe, Robbie Keane and Wilson Palacios.

Redknapp has moved up the managerial ladder until reaching Spurs, arguably another level for Harry altogether. Finances are sound and the long term aim is not survival - except on his arrival - but titles and trophies. This is a different type of pressure - the weight of expectation.

Perhaps this pressure is getting to Redknapp, the difference in backing your judgement on a player to the tune of several million pounds than there is to the tune of £15-20m or more. However, this may well be what Tottenham need to go to the next level. Spurs have good players, but Luka Modric and Gareth Bale are not Redknapp signings. Rafael van der Vaart may be deemed a Levy signing. Do they need a manager unafraid to make the big call in the transfer market? Some of Redknapp’s signings, such as Crouch, Defoe, Kaboul, Kranjcar and the rumours of Joe Cole and Scott Parker may indicate a manager operating within a comfort zone - players he already knows well. Steven Pienaar may be a typical Redknapp signing - a £3m bargain. Similarly, fans may have expected the goalkeeping issue to be resolved by the signing of a Shay Given or Maarten Stekelenburg. Instead, Redknapp signed 40-year-old Brad Friedel on a free. Old habits?

In January, Spurs looked to be close to signing Luis Suarez before he went to Liverpool. Redknapp blamed his scouts, claiming they advised the striker was not up to scratch. Suarez’s 81 goals in 108 games perhaps spoke for itself. Maybe the manager was uncertain about backing himself in having to break Spurs’ transfer record. To date none of the transfer rumours with a fee of over £15m have materialized.

In his career Redknapp has made some quality signings and, particularly at West Ham United, brought through good young players. Redknapp also gave Bale his break when many wanted him sold. Arguably, he can spot potential. Perhaps he needs to trust his own judgement and make the big calls.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Why Mata ? Empty Re: Why Mata ?

Post by BazSpur Sat Jul 30 2011, 21:42

Good article Lobs and maybe more than a grain of truth in it. You can't argue with the facts the writer has put forward. I can't remember who it was but someone on here said "Arry loves a bargain".
    MarkA249
    MarkA249
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by MarkA249 Sat Jul 30 2011, 23:11

Maybe Arry cant get rid of the strikers or thinks it wasnt the strikers fault and we didnt create enough chances for the strikers or hes putting Bale up front or put VDV up top lol. Mata will be a good signing he was awsome in the u21 tournment i hope we get him to be honest and Big Samba from Blackburn hes a beast from Corners
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sat Jul 30 2011, 23:51

Hold on, We're putting in a 23 million bid for a player and you put up an article that's basically saying Redknapp is afraid to back his own judgement and spend money?

Correct me if I'm wrong here but doesn't one contradict the other?

Failing to see the relevance here.

Post by Guest Sun Jul 31 2011, 01:24

omg he didnt give bale hes break. he almost loaned him out because he saw nuffing in him. then ekotto got inujurid.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Sun Jul 31 2011, 03:42

Maybe theres a clue in Harrys thinking in that Sky Sports Fantasy League advert ....

"Im gonna play three upfront this season , we're going for goals" ....

.......................Gomes

..............Corluka Gallas King BAE

.................Sandro Modric Bale

..................VDV Llorente Mata

Post by Guest Sun Jul 31 2011, 05:38

or maybe hes lineing hes pockets again lol
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Mon Aug 01 2011, 22:12

ionman34 wrote:
    Hold on, We're putting in a 23 million bid for a player and you put up an article that's basically saying Redknapp is afraid to back his own judgement and spend money?

LOL i don't know if your being sarcastic here , because if this is true , which i highly doubt it because the most we have ever tabled for any player was 18 mill for David " where the hell did he go " Bentley ,mate only believe when you here we are linked to players under 18 mill, anything above that is total nonsense
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Tue Aug 02 2011, 00:00

Harry's gone for Mata as a replacement for Modric, its kind of obvious lads.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Tue Aug 02 2011, 00:09

Isn't Mata a winger though?
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Tue Aug 02 2011, 01:59

LOBO wrote:
    ionman34 wrote:

LOL i don't know if your being sarcastic here , because if this is true , which i highly doubt it because the most we have ever tabled for any player was 18 mill for David " where the hell did he go " Bentley ,mate only believe when you here we are linked to players under 18 mill, anything above that is total nonsense

Bid was confirmed Lobo.

However, it appears that the goons f*cked us.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Tue Aug 02 2011, 03:02

I can't see why we have gone for mata, are you saying then right at the death we will sell modric and be left still seeking a striker or two , nah that can't be true, surly our club & levy n redknapp can not be that short sighted to let this happen again ?
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Tue Aug 02 2011, 03:14

if we get Mata, i can see Modric leaving.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Tue Aug 02 2011, 22:03

I read that Mata had a £21 million buy-out clause in his contract that expired on Sunday night .....We put in an offer before the deadline that just exceeded that , whilst the Goons dithered .....

Mata preffered and waited for the Goons but as it didnt happen Valencia will want more and the Goons or anybody else will now have to pay in the region of £28 million ...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content