The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Is ad a little like chiv.? EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Is ad a little like chiv.? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Is ad a little like chiv.? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Is ad a little like chiv.? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Is ad a little like chiv.? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Is ad a little like chiv.? EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Is ad a little like chiv.? EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Is ad a little like chiv.? EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Is ad a little like chiv.? EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Is ad a little like chiv.? Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

2 posters

Is ad a little like chiv.?

Is ad a little like chiv.? Empty Is ad a little like chiv.?

Post by Guest Thu Aug 25 2011, 02:45

Long time ago, in a country that was completely different than it is today, england by the way, my local newsagent (and yes he was jewish) use to refer to martin chivers as marmalade,(after the chivers marmalade jam)
    He had a business near the lane in the 1960s , Mullish newsagents, anyway i use to spend many a morning getting my fags and newspaper talking spurs, he just loved chivers, peters and greaves, and often use to talk of the great danny blanchflower..................what he would make of e,to making quarter of a million today i dont know.
    He died of heart problems back in the 1970s, but i thought of him today when i heard we are on the verge of signing adebayer.
    Alf Mullish would have loved this signing, a big old fashioned centre forward, putting himself about as chivers use to.
    Great signing, i dont know what his problems are, maybe like gallas he likes committment from other players, and he loses heart.............? god knows.
    we have to trust that harrys man management skills are spot on with this signing.
    He will get goals and city will regret selling him on because bale,lennon and modric will give him loads of ammunition.

Is ad a little like chiv.? Empty Re: Is ad a little like chiv.?

Post by Guest Thu Aug 25 2011, 02:54

nice read lew. i cant comment though as they where before my time

Post by Guest Thu Aug 25 2011, 03:28

Thanks lought, they were great years young man, you would have loved the bill nic era !
    It was long before crowds determined how big a club you were, because spurs were on a par with every other club in the old first division.
    I am sure you would have loved big mike england, phil beal the unappreciated work horse, the safe hands of pat jennings, do you know they reckoned pat jenning hands were as big as a dinner plate. LOL.

Jimmy Greaves was a cheeky cocky goal scorer who made it look so easy, he would have been worth £50 million today.
    Martin peters was described by alf ramsey as ahead of his time, not sure of that but that team was so entertaining.
    Ask len..i am sure he remembers it well, in years to come lought you will be telling your children of gareth bale, modric, berbatov,vdv.....but i am thinking will they be thought of the same as those old 1970s heroes.?
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Aug 25 2011, 04:39

Martin Peters was also known as The Ghost because of his abilty to ghost into scoring positions without being seen. Wasn't John White also known as The Ghost? Ah, Lew I loved those days mate. Late 60s up to the 90s. I loved every minute of it. Phil Beal was an unsung hero but he had a knack of giving own goals from what I remember. Big Chiv was my hero after Greavsey left and speaking about big Mike England I don't think we have had as good a centre half since although maybe Ledders but they are different types of centre halves. England wasn't scared of anyone he was hard as nails and twice as sharp. He would have eaten these modern day forwards for breakfast and gone back for seconds lol. So many great memories. Do you remember when we were relegated? Every away game was like a home game thousands and thousands of Yids filling grounds that normally would have been half full. The 9-0 thrashing of Bristol Rovers at WHL what an afternoon lol.
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Thu Aug 25 2011, 05:39

Hi Lew, I hope you are feeling much better. Anyway good post, just one thing, well two thing's, when you said to Lought about him telling his chlidren about the all time great's he would have seen playing for Spurs, you mentioned Bale, Modric, Berbatov and VDV, but failed to mention Crouch, I just can't understand why as he is Loughts favourite player. Secondly, I do not for one minute think that any of these players are as great as Jones, Gazza, Chivers, Hoddle, and many others I could mention but will not as I would be here all night, but that's just my oppinion.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Aug 25 2011, 06:05

Wouldn't bother me Len. I just love talking about the old days.

Post by Guest Thu Aug 25 2011, 10:07

my Dad made us watch them spurs films, was it gregorys girl.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jul 07 2024, 04:22