The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Redknapp Interview EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Redknapp Interview EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Redknapp Interview EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Redknapp Interview EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Redknapp Interview EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Redknapp Interview EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Redknapp Interview EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Redknapp Interview EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Redknapp Interview EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Redknapp Interview Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

2 posters

Redknapp Interview

Redknapp Interview Empty Redknapp Interview

Post by Guest Fri Oct 14 2011, 06:23

Harry Redknapp stays true to the simple pleasure of the game as Tottenham surge ahead

Under a pale autumn sun, Harry Redknapp seems at first glance a study in ebullience, crackling with Cockney charm and restless to start his round of golf.

Redknapp Interview Harry-redknapp_2025263c
    Nostalgia: Harry Redknapp admits to being wearied by the relentless demands of top-class football and looks back to the good old days Photo: Rii Schroer

By Oliver Brown

He joshes easily with staff at Berkshire’s De Vere Wokefield Park hotel, explaining how wife Sandra has converted him to yoga to help ward off sciatica. But for the first time in the career of this remarkable man, and quite prodigiously dedicated manager, there is a hint of fatigue; a rare reminder that he is 64 years old. ’Arry, hardiest perennial in the English game, is beginning to tire.

In the course of a fascinating hour’s conversation, spanning everything from David Beckham to his memories of school coaching sessions in Canning Town, Redknapp confesses to a creeping exhaustion. All those dawn drives from his Sandbanks ranch, on the Dorset coast, to Tottenham's Chigwell training complex are finally wearing thin. “It’s not the passion, but I have found myself this year getting a bit more tired,” he says. “I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t. It’s just getting older. Some days it has knocked me a little bit for six.

“It’s hard. I’ve found myself on some days leaving home at three in the morning. Then I’m outside the training ground at five, but they don’t open up until seven. I’m just sitting there, listening to the radio. It does take a toll on you. I’ve found I’ve stayed up in London more. I used to drive up and down each day: probably six hours’ driving. But I still have the same enthusiasm. I love going in and working with good players. I love the way they shift the ball about in training. I’d find it harder now to go and work with inferior players. These lads are great to watch.”

For all his more fatalistic remarks, which encompass the avarice of agents and the disconnect between Premier League clubs and their communities, Redknapp remains smitten with the game’s simple pleasures.

It would explain why, ahead of Tottenham’s long road trip to Newcastle on Sunday, he plans to take in QPR’s match against Blackburn the afternoon before, just to drink in the Loftus Road atmosphere. Not for him, then, the notion of a ground with a running track. In a week of the collapse of West Ham’s bid to occupy the Olympic Stadium in Stratford, the old traditionalist is implacably opposed to his own club filling the void.
    “A stadium with an athletics track around is a killer. I love being in an atmosphere like the one we create at White Hart Lane, or that we used to have with West Ham at the Boleyn Ground. You’ll never get that with a track, you’re sitting so far away. I think those days are finished. I can’t see the West Ham supporters enjoying it, either.”

Redknapp is acutely mindful of the fans’ perspective, seeking to sustain the optimism engendered in N17 by last season’s Champions League run.

The arrival in February of David Beckham gave Tottenham a palpable shot of adrenalin, even if he was restricted to a training role, and the manager does not rule out chances of a return once the 36 year-old is out of contract at Los Angeles Galaxy next month.

“I was so impressed with David as a person, as a player. He was fantastic to have around the club, a class act. For any young player looking at him, he’s a great role model. There was no attitude to him, no ‘side’.

“The problem I’d have is that David would want to play regularly, and I couldn’t guarantee him that at this stage. It’s difficult: I have Aaron Lennon coming back, Rafael van der Vaart playing off the right. I have lots of options. I could play Gareth Bale on one side and Luka Modric on the other. Sandro is also looking like he could end up a top player. Then there’s Scott Parker. So to bring David in and not play him would be a problem.”

These luxuries of choice are all a far cry from the grisly defeats with which Tottenham’s campaign began: a 3-0 humbling at Old Trafford, followed by a 5-1 filleting at home by Manchester City, hardly promised a sequence of four straight wins that culminated in their restorative triumph over Arsenal.

The initial central midfield pairing of Niko Kranjcar and Jake Livermore had looked alarmingly green but, thanks in part to Tom Huddlestone’s recovery from an ankle operation, they have — for the third season in a row of Redknapp’s tenure — the confidence of legitimate Champions League contenders.

Just call him ’Arry the Alchemist. Even if, in more reflective moments, he laments the direction in which his life’s calling is heading. He scorns the rise of the agents — “they phone the chairman rather than the manager, and tell the players that they’re superstars” — but seems most perturbed by the impression that his players inhabit a different world.

“Once you were part of the people. And I think that has gone. I’m not sure whether it will come back. The players don’t associate with the punters any more. They don’t give enough time to the people who pay their wages.

“When I was at West Ham we all used to go to schools in the afternoon and coach kids. For me that was the best: five afternoons at a school in Canning Town, me and Frank Lampard Snr. Trevor Brooking used to coach at St Bonaventure’s. We all got £2.50 for three hours’ work and it was fantastic.

Now players mix in their own circles. They’re a bit like politicians. They don’t connect with the man on the street.”

For his part, he insists that he feels loved. “I know we have done a good job. I went out last night to a dinner for the Air Ambulance. They were all Tottenham fans there, and they absolutely love what’s happening. They love the fact that there’s not much between ourselves and Arsenal.”

The only danger in this mutual love affair is that Redknapp is still the favourite to succeed Fabio Capello when the Italian steps down as England head coach after Euro 2012. His position, though is unwavering: flattered in principle, sanguine in practice.

“It would be a difficult one for someone to turn down, especially for an Englishman. But I enjoy the Premier League, and managing week to week. I like being involved every day. That’s what keeps me going.”

Redknapp Interview Empty Re: Redknapp Interview

Post by Guest Fri Oct 14 2011, 06:30

Attached as an add-on, in the paper, to the the above interview . . . . . .

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp had a hard job 'selling' Scott Parker to the board

Harry Redknapp has highlighted Tottenham’s £5.5 million summer signing of Scott Parker as a personal victory after admitting that several of the club’s directors were opposed to the move. “The hardest signing for me was Scott Parker,” said Redknapp, who pursued last season’s FWA Footballer of the Year with added vigour when he realised there was a danger of playmaker Luka Modric leaving.
    “It wasn’t a deal that the club were crazy about, and I could see their point of view. Scott had a four-year contract at West Ham and he was on big money, by our standards. Tottenham don’t pay the wages that Chelsea or Manchester City do, so there would be quite a gap.
    “There was a feeling that bringing in Scott, 31 years of age and with no sell-on value, could be a problem. I argued that it was what he could give us this year and next that could make the difference. Daniel [Levy, Tottenham chairman] backed me on that.”
    Redknapp acknowledged that at one point during Tottenham’s turbulent pre-season, he had all but given up hope of Modric being persuaded to stay.
    “I felt there was a bad feeling around the club,” he said. “You know when things are not going right: Luka wanting to go, three or four other players not happy, not pulling their weight in training, disrupting a little bit.
    “We looked very, very lightweight. It was a team that scared me a little bit. I just knew we needed to get Scott Parker into the team, get Luka’s mind right, and then we would be a different team.”

Post by Guest Fri Oct 14 2011, 06:53

nice find. i enjoyed reading that
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Fri Oct 14 2011, 07:47

A very positive Article about Arry - am I the only one whoread it who wondered quite how far Mr Oliver Brown had inserted his tongue up the Redknapp rectum to cOme up with quite such a slobbering effort

It may be lurve !

Post by Guest Fri Oct 14 2011, 08:25

It maybe Lurve indeed Nic & it maybe the fact that Spurs are one of the "big boys" & young Master Brown knows whom to worship . . .. . Pride
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Fri Oct 14 2011, 08:35

A little while ago on here - eight weeks maybe - I can vaguely recall actually standing up for Arry against the crew who wanted him crucified for his " (some) Spuds fans are stupid" jibe

Strangely enough outrage initiated and fuelled by the meeja

Enjoy it while you can Arry

Post by Guest Fri Oct 14 2011, 09:21

LOL Nic, your memorey stands the test of time. At the end of the day it's an article by a journalist not a euology from a Spurs fan. Faint praise indeed for the September manager of the month. I feel sure there are a few clubs out in the wilderness who would like such positive meeja cover for their managers . . . .
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Fri Oct 14 2011, 09:29

Very true Vis - sic transit Gloria mundi

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin