The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Why Harry might not walk away from Spurs EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Why Harry might not walk away from Spurs EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Why Harry might not walk away from Spurs EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Why Harry might not walk away from Spurs EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Why Harry might not walk away from Spurs EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Why Harry might not walk away from Spurs EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Why Harry might not walk away from Spurs EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Why Harry might not walk away from Spurs EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Why Harry might not walk away from Spurs EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Why Harry might not walk away from Spurs Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

5 posters

Why Harry might not walk away from Spurs

DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Why Harry might not walk away from Spurs Empty Why Harry might not walk away from Spurs

Post by DJSR Tue Nov 01 2011, 18:00

Tottenham are a team in irresistible form, playing with flair and fluency true to the club's traditional commitment to attack and entertain.

So why would Harry Redknapp want to leave, just as his work seems to be reaching completion? To take control of England and all the grief that entails?

The theory seems to be that Redknapp, 64, is the FA's preferred candidate to succeed Fabio Capello, who retires after next year's European Championship.

At Redknapp's age, he might want to take it easier, to escape the daily grind of his shared drive with right-hand man Kevin Bond up from the south coast, and a football club's relentless training-ground routine.

So widely held is this theory that even Spurs chairman Daniel Levy seems to accept it. How else can you explain why Spurs are yet to approach their manager about extending a contract which expires in 18 months? After all, Tottenham have never had it so good in the ENIC years.

There are greater tests ahead but they are looking strong and belief inside the camp is soaring.

Other than a Carling Cup penalty shoot-out defeat by Stoke, Redknapp's team are unbeaten in all competitions since the transfer window closed; a run which includes three Europa League games played with weakened teams.

They have dropped only two points in the Barclays Premier League since going down to the two Manchester teams by a combined 8-1 in the opening games of the season.

It is rich form and includes another victory over Arsenal, which reinforces suggestions we may be witnessing a power shift in North London.

Rafael van der Vaart, for one, is not expecting the Gunners to recover from a poor start to catch their neighbours, despite that 5-3 win at Chelsea last weekend.

'No chance,' said Van der Vaart. 'Why? Because we're better. We have the better squad. We have a bigger squad. I'm not afraid of Arsenal.'

This moving of plates in the neighbourhood is not purely Redknapp's doing but he has done what good managers do. He inherited world-class players in Gareth Bale and Luka Modric then improved them by tuning the side to suit their talents. Bale's career seemed to have hit a dead end three years ago but he has not looked back since.

Players love to play for Redknapp, it is often said. There are plenty frozen out by his ruthless streak who might disagree, and his mood after defeat can be foul, but he generally keeps a happy camp.

Those in favour are encouraged to express themselves. This has brought the best from Van der Vaart and Emmanuel Adebayor, who said in an interview with The Independent at the weekend: 'He [Redknapp] said to me, "Adebayor, you know what you can do. Just go out there, have fun and bring me back the three points".

'When a manager has that kind of belief, you don't want to disappoint him.'

The simple game is not over- complicated under Redknapp, and his teams are always beautifully balanced, which makes them easy on the eye.

They are designed to attack, with pace and width. There is always room for luxury, but they rarely lack aggression.

This balance was knocked off kilter by the signing last year of Van der Vaart, who proved so influential that adjustments had to be made to satisfy his inclusion.

Key to solving this dilemma was a centre forward capable of leading the line on his own and a midfielder able to compensate for the Dutchman's defensive shortcomings. Step forward Adebayor and Scott Parker.

Adebayor arrived with his customary flurry of early goals and Parker settled without fuss. Brad Friedel, signed on a free, has added reliability, Kyle Walker has emerged at right back and Ledley King is squeezing out more games despite his ailing knees.

New recruits: Friedel and Parker have slotted seamlessly in to Harry's side

The fact Modric is still around is down to Levy's determination not to be bullied by Chelsea. His personal victory lifted spirits and, since the transfer window closed, Modric has applied himself well to maintain his very high standards.

The Croatia midfielder was one of only three who started against QPR on Sunday who had started Redknapp's first game, against Bolton in 2008. King and Benoit Assou-Ekotto were the others.

Bolton (26-10-08): Gomes; Hutton, Corluka, King, Assou-Ekotto; Bentley, Jenas, Modric, Huddlestone, O'Hara (Lennon); Pavlyuchenko (Bent).

QPR (30-10-11): Friedel; Walker, Kaboul, King, Assou-Ekotto; Lennon, Parker (Sandro), Modric, Bale; Van der Vaart, Adebayor.

Despite the reputation he has - but doesn't like - as a 'wheeler dealer', Redknapp has not ripped up the good work done before his arrival but finessed it.

Tensions rise between the manager and chairman when a transfer window opens. Redknapp's instinct leads him towards more experienced (expensive) players, ready to improve the team instantly, while Levy leans towards talented younger players with a sell-on value - and who can blame him after the success with players like Modric, Tom Huddlestone, Bale, Walker and Sandro?

Levy and Redknapp have had to make concessions but any friction eases once the market closes and the football takes precedence. Perhaps they are good for each other. Certainly something seems to be working at Spurs.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Why Harry might not walk away from Spurs Empty Re: Why Harry might not walk away from Spurs

Post by BazSpur Tue Nov 01 2011, 18:36

Great read DJ. And pretty much spot on. The only part I would disagree on is Ade. I am beginning to wonder what if anything he is bringing to the dinner table. I watched him closely at WHL Sunday and for a big strong striker he does hold the ball but seems to struggle sometimes against opposition players he really shouldn't struggle against SWP being one. The diminutive little winger managed to dump Ade on his Ass with a push of his arm ( The howls of disbelief were apparent from all around me in the stands) and no I don't think Ade was looking for a foul., he seemed to struggle a few times against determined opposition. Couple that with the two chances he really should have buried and it tells it's own story. I know players have off days but when was the last time he scored? Arry must have seen what we could all see and I thought the game was screaming out for Defoe to run at their defence 20 minutes from time when we were starting to flag. Scot Parker and VDV were dead tired and we needed to give QPR something else to think about cue Sandro and Defoe and possibly Townsend. But Arry resolutely sat on his hands and played on until he finally brought on Sandro with 6 or so minutes left.
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Why Harry might not walk away from Spurs Empty Re: Why Harry might not walk away from Spurs

Post by DJSR Tue Nov 01 2011, 21:01

So, Harry Redknapp has been Spurs boss for three years. What has he done for us?

He has been the best manager of this club since Keith Burkinshaw took two FA Cups and one UEFA Cup to the Lane in the early 80s. If things carry on like this he will be second only to the great double-winning Bill Nicholson.

Praise indeed. Why's he so good?

Just remember where we were when he arrived. What a mess. Martin Jol had been sacked unfairly after taking us to two fifth places and chairman Daniel Levy's obsession with a continental managerial structure had seen us plummet to the bottom of the Premier League under Juande Ramos.

Enter Harry and look at us now. Fabulous football, Champions League quarter-finalists in our debut season and looking capable of challenging for third, let alone fourth, this year.

But what about the relationship between the manager and chairman… wasn't there tension over transfers all summer? Can they really work together in the long term?

Well, this could be the start of something big if the odd couple stay wed. To be fair to Levy, he deserves enormous credit for keeping Luka Modric. Even Harry had given up on him, and what he has to do now is ensure our top players are rewarded so that the so-called bigger clubs don't come calling again.

What if England came for him in the summer?

I hope they don't... that would derail Spurs. He waited a long time before a big club gave him a chance and he has proven himself a far better tactician than he was given credit for. It is feasible he could take the title to Spurs.

Why would he want to walk away from that to accept a poisoned chalice?

Leave that to someone else, Harry. Stay where you are appreciated.
    seebee1944
    seebee1944
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by seebee1944 Wed Nov 02 2011, 00:26

I also think that Harry is a very 'hands on' manager and would he be as England manager, I doubt it. So come on Mr Levy talk to him find out what he intends and then negotiate.

Post by Guest Wed Nov 02 2011, 00:31

why would you leave our sqaud for england. they are in a mess,
    they will take rio and terry to the euros because they havent got the balls to drop them.

we going to come home early with our woefull defence.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Wed Nov 02 2011, 06:17

I still think the team can go up a notch or gear , we have been good of late but there has been periods when we looked poor, but the signs are there and even the fellas on motd2 were full of admiration for spurs they have high hopes for us most pundits think we will finish 4th , why would Redknapp want to walk away from that, but on the other hand what a hero he would be if we did finish top 4 and then he quit . if so bring in Pardew the man is passionate and above all else he has a very similar managerial style to Arry and his man management skills are top draw, he sold Barton everyone thought they would be worse of, but no it made Newcstle stronger, pardew can deal with big egos and above all else he has the experience..he would be my first choice
    cstmrsking
    cstmrsking
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by cstmrsking Wed Nov 02 2011, 10:49

Why would Pardew leave the Barcodes at the moment?
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Wed Nov 02 2011, 18:37

cstmrsking wrote:Why would Pardew leave the Barcodes at the moment?

Managers are no different from players , they are all subject to transfers, I'm not saying he would walk but he would be my choice as next manager .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10 2024, 03:53