The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
wich EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
wich EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
wich EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
wich EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
wich EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
wich EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
wich EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
wich EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
wich EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

wich Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

5 posters

wich

wich Empty wich

Post by Guest Tue Apr 24 2012, 03:42

All very well being wise after the event, but...

In truth I don`t recall too much complaining when any of Roman Pavlyuchenko, Vedran Corluka, Sebastien Bassong or Steven Pienaar, left the club in January, but I was just wondering which, if any do you think would have benefited the side most since their departure?

In reality, all would have been capable of adding something to the team since they left for one reason or another, but if you could still have one in the squad, which would you go for? Against QPR, Roman Pavlyuchenko would surely have been a better option that the diminutive Jermain Defoe in the formation we were playing. No disrespect to Jermain, who has scored his fair share this season, but he is never a target to play on his own in attack. Harry may well have got that wrong in his team selection, but I have to say that in the absence of Adebayor and Saha on Saturday, Pav would have been a better selection.

At the back, the addition of the quicker central defender in Sebastien Bassong would have been ideal alongside one of the elder statesmen of King, Gallas or Nelsen. No Kaboul in particular and we are rather pedestrian at the back and though Bassong has struggled with his in/out usage in the last two seasons, when he gets regular football he does look a totally different player and one that wouldn`t have left us so open in recent weeks.

Kyle Walker may well be the PFA player of the year, but since injuring his ankle prior to the Arsenal game, he hasn`t looked quite so good. Harry doesn`t seem to feel that Adam Smith is ready, so would the better defensive qualities and experience of Corluka be a better option? Like Bassong, Corluka hasn`t looked very good this season in a Spurs shirt, but was that a mix of injuries and lack of game time before his move to Germany? Walker may well be over his injury, but he does look tired after a very long season, would a few weeks off have allowed him time to recover and also recharge his batteries, especially with an expected summer call up for England sure to fatigue him for next season as well?

Now I have always backed Steven Pienaar as a very good player and not only welcomed his move to the club, but also his quality as a player who has real quality and versatility. At a time when we lost Aaron Lennon, was there a better candidate to bring in that Pienaar? Equally, with Luka Modric and Gareth Bale dropping in form, what better choice that to use Pienaar, either as a creative and hard working midfielder or to fit in on the left (or wherever Bale chooses to play from one game to the next)?

In hindsight, I feel we have been most affected by a shortage at the back, so I would vote for Bassong in terms of fitting a much needed role, but as an all-round player, I feel that Pienaar offered the quality and adaptability to fill several places over the last dozen games. Interestingly all four have struggled with injury in the last 12-18 months and you have to wonder if they had remained fit more often, would they have played a greater part in the seas
    djfitzo
    International
    International

wich Empty Re: wich

Post by djfitzo Tue Apr 24 2012, 05:58

Problem is bassongs spent half his time at wolves on the treatment table and is injured again. So don't know how much use he would have been
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Tue Apr 24 2012, 07:05

I enjoyed the way Bassong gave away an early penalty and was red carded against us at Molineux.

He certainly might have given Arry sonmething !

Post by Guest Tue Apr 24 2012, 08:13

but he is can move and get forward. is aprecence in the other pen box

can score from hes head
    galas and king cant move
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Tue Apr 24 2012, 08:50

Trouble is Bassong has proven to be a not very good defender, for whatever team he has played for . . . .

Post by Guest Tue Apr 24 2012, 09:52

bet he went on our longest run of clean sheets
    the season we got top4
    we notsaying he shouldbe first choice but now we got no kaboul he could of been playing

even harry said king picked up an injury 5 weeks ago yet deemed fit enought to start
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Tue Apr 24 2012, 19:36

Loughtonlegend wrote:bet he went on our longest run of clean sheets
    the season we got top4
    we notsaying he shouldbe first choice but now we got no kaboul he could of been playing

even harry said king picked up an injury 5 weeks ago yet deemed fit enought to start

I'd rather play Nelson, he gave the ball away several times on Sunday and done his hamstring getting back because he was hopelessly out of position.

shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Tue Apr 24 2012, 20:32

should of kept pienaar and given him more playing time and rest some "superstars".hes been really good back at everton.
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Tue Apr 24 2012, 20:41

Bassong was at Toon - they went down
    Bassong moves to Wolves - they went down
    I am all for him returning to the Lane

Odd one Pienaar - at the time it seemed a good capture when you signed him as he had always looked good for Everton. Unless I missed it though he never played anywhere near as well at the Lane as he had done at EFC, or in fact as he has done since he went back. One of those players who needs to know he is playing every week rather than rotating in and out of the side maybe
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Tue Apr 24 2012, 20:50

Bassong? Not for me. He always looked iffy at the back.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Tue Apr 24 2012, 22:58

anicoll5 wrote:Bassong was at Toon - they went down
    Bassong moves to Wolves - they went down
    I am all for him returning to the Lane

Odd one Pienaar - at the time it seemed a good capture when you signed him as he had always looked good for Everton. Unless I missed it though he never played anywhere near as well at the Lane as he had done at EFC, or in fact as he has done since he went back. One of those players who needs to know he is playing every week rather than rotating in and out of the side maybe

He was injured quite a bit Nic too.

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25 2012, 01:38

neilson looked good when he came on the other week
    surprised he not starting above king

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 05 2024, 20:57