The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
vert EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
vert EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
vert EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
vert EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
vert EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
vert EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
vert EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
vert EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
vert EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

vert Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

vert

vert Empty vert

Post by Guest Fri Dec 14 2012, 04:32

Dec 13 2012
    ars*nal Wanted To Play Me In Midfield, Reveals Tottenham Hotspur Defender

ars*nal Wanted To Play Me In Midfield, Reveals Tottenham Hotspur Defender

ars*nal made serious efforts to sign Belgian defender Jan Vertonghen during the summer, but disagreements on where he should play helped push him in the direction of White Hart Lane.

The 25-year-old opted for a move to Tottenham Hotspur during the summer and has quickly established himself as a key figure in the Spurs’ defence. Vertonghen was continually linked with a move to the Emirates before deciding to join Andre Villas-Boas’ revolution, and the Belgium international has revealed that ars*nal’s plans to utilise him as central midfielder dissuaded him from joining Arsene Wenger’s rank.

“ars*nal’s interest was concrete, but they wanted me to control the midfield, to be an Emmanuel Petit-type player.” Vertonghen told NU sport.

“I am not afraid of competition, but the overall picture at Spurs appealed to me more.”

The former Ajax captain as predominately played as a central defender most of his career, but has on occasion played at left back. While defensively sound, Vertonghen doesn’t believe his mobile enough operate as a full back on a full time basis, much preferring his central role.

“I think of myself as a backup [at left back]. Especially against agile men like Raheem Sterling and Nani, it is not my game. I am not agile enough.”
    -----

Read more: http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=34838&posts=2#ixzz2Dk0Q8sVM

Current date/time is Fri Jul 05 2024, 16:46