The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
66 EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
66 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
66 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
66 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
66 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
66 EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
66 EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
66 EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
66 EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

66 Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+3
Boltjean
shearspur
djfitzo
7 posters

66 Empty 66

Post by Guest Thu May 09 2013, 09:33

after 36 games last season we had 65points. thats with vdv and modric king and kaboul.
    avb has got 1 more point 66points and thats with no decent strikers
    djfitzo
    International
    International

66 Empty Re: 66

Post by djfitzo Thu May 09 2013, 17:13

Loughtonguy wrote:after 36 games last season we had 65points. thats with vdv and modric king and kaboul.
    avb has got 1 more point 66points and thats with no decent strikers

Or one of the best defenders and best defensive midfielder.

shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Thu May 09 2013, 21:22

but we finished 4th, albeit gaining nothing. can avb do it this year.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Thu May 09 2013, 21:59

shearspur wrote:but we finished 4th, albeit gaining nothing. can avb do it this year.

I think if he does, his done very well.

Harry had for most part last term a stronger squad including Modric and VDV.

AVB has had to do without Kaboul and the stand out prem holding midfielder in Sandro, plus the strikers we do have have had injuries all throughout this season and as regards to Levy, who knows why he didnt release funds for a striker in January, however I would say that no top quality striker would have actually been available then, Shear, if you could name a realistic target i'd be more than interested.

shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Thu May 09 2013, 22:35

well what happened to the damaio deal ? its their job to identify players and their availability whether it be close season or jan. its to short sighted not to sign if we all could see what was needed, and will prob cost them a lot more now in income if we dont reach top 4and being in it would have recouped any outlay on a striker.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Thu May 09 2013, 22:42

shearspur wrote:well what happened to the damaio deal ? its their job to identify players and their availability whether it be close season or jan. its to short sighted not to sign if we all could see what was needed, and will prob cost them a lot more now in income if we dont reach top 4and being in it would have recouped any outlay on a striker.

Problem is mate that nobody wants to sell their prized assets in January,
    which is the nitty gritty time of the season. I guess he thought that Ade,Defoe and Dempsey was enough last summer.

shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Thu May 09 2013, 23:10

maybe, but weve been here before and its so short sighted and just undermines all the great work early season. losing to fulham was the start of this, this time imo. took it to lightly.
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Fri May 10 2013, 00:38

imo I think we have had a very good season, sure we lost to some of the teams your United or City would have thrashed, and though yes he has made mistakes I believe AVB has done a very good job in his first season. I would love to see us win the premiership, I would be happy to see us in the top four, the dream is not over yet, but when you think how big clubs like Liverpool, Everton and Newcastle are, we have proved they are not as big as us. It has been very tight between us, the gooners and Chelsea, and we do not have the money that Chelsea have to spend. So all in all if AVB can get some cash off Levy to bring in class players next season and hang on to Bale, I think the future is very bright, sure we may not be able to compete with United and City but I am sure we will push them all the way. And when you think about it will United struggle a bit under a new manager?, they could well do so although I suppose that is to much to hope. Anyway, I am excited about the future of our club with or without Bale, I am sure that AVB will bring in a class replacement with the money he will have at his disposal, pluss another striker.
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Fri May 10 2013, 01:09

Nice post len, iagree with the bit about the money Chelsea have and it's hard to compete against.it's just the arsenal lot finishing above us again after another collapse that makes me so cross if it happens.
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Fri May 10 2013, 01:46

Oh believe me Shear, I could not agree more, I hate them, but it is not over yet, all this talk about Wigan being a push over as they have a cup final, well the game against the gooners is another cup final for them, the reward is not a trophy mate but Premiership survival, they will give it their all and if they grab a point and we win at Stoke we will be above the goons with a home game against Sunderland and they have their game against Newcastle away, another draw for them? while we grab 3 more points, just dreaming but who knows. My wifes brother in law is a gooner after being a Spurs supporter back in the sixties, the goons helped him win a bet at the bookies so he felt he owed them his support, pr-t. If I won money betting on Arsenal winning a game that would not make me a Arsenal supporter, I am always falling out with him over his this, I say to him he is not a true gooner, it is born into you from birth the same as us Spurs supporters, he is a traitor and should be tied to the goal post at White Hart Lane and shot, em perhaps a bit over the top that, sold his loyalty for money.

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Fri May 10 2013, 01:56

Boltjean wrote:Oh believe me Shear, I could not agree more, I hate them, but it is not over yet, all this talk about Wigan being a push over as they have a cup final, well the game against the gooners is another cup final for them, the reward is not a trophy mate but Premiership survival, they will give it their all and if they grab a point and we win at Stoke we will be above the goons with a home game against Sunderland and they have their game against Newcastle away, another draw for them? while we grab 3 more points, just dreaming but who knows. My wifes brother in law is a gooner after being a Spurs supporter back in the sixties, the goons helped him win a bet at the bookies so he felt he owed them his support, pr-t. If I won money betting on Arsenal winning a game that would not make me a Arsenal supporter, I am always falling out with him over his this, I say to him he is not a true gooner, it is born into you from birth the same as us Spurs supporters, he is a traitor and should be tied to the goal post at White Hart Lane and shot, em perhaps a bit over the top that, sold his loyalty for money.

Also Len, Cheatski's fixtures, they finally started to look tired in the last 20 minutes against us and it was only that we left massive gaps looking for the win that it flattered them, Luiz was not fit and strolled around, Hazard came off injured. They are only 3 points ahead of us and have the following:-

Saturday Villa away - Villa found some form of late and Benteke scoring for fun.
    Wednesday Benfica - final will take some more out of their already tired legs.
    Sunday Everton home - never an easy game and Moyes will want to go out on a high if his to join Manure.

Could end up Cheatski that misses out.

befica

vis
    vis

Post by vis Fri May 10 2013, 05:55

Surely if we finish with more points this season than last that is progress? League posistion aside more points means better results over the course of 38 games.
    Take into it as well that this is AVB's 1st season (unlike Redkanpp and 4th place). We have lost King, Modric & VdV. 3 very talented and influential players. We have lost Sandro & Kaboul for most of the season,2 very able replacements for the previously mentioned 3 players. Other players have been lost at vital times to injury as well. Adabadbigtoe has been almost invisible for most of this season unlike last when he was on loan. Dempsy, Siggy et al, AVB choices or just players he has had to work with? When you take factoids like these into consideration the guy has done mighty fine . . . .
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Fri May 10 2013, 06:24

vis wrote:Surely if we finish with more points this season than last that is progress? League posistion aside more points means better results over the course of 38 games.
    Take into it as well that this is AVB's 1st season (unlike Redkanpp and 4th place). We have lost King, Modric & VdV. 3 very talented and influential players. We have lost Sandro & Kaboul for most of the season,2 very able replacements for the previously mentioned 3 players. Other players have been lost at vital times to injury as well. Adabadbigtoe has been almost invisible for most of this season unlike last when he was on loan. Dempsy, Siggy et al, AVB choices or just players he has had to work with? When you take factoids like these into consideration the guy has done mighty fine . . . .

Not easy to come into a new squad and make it harmonious as he has, perhaps Harry had his favourites, whereas all get a fair crack under AVB. If we can sneak into a CL place and get those special players, sky's the limit. He also seems to be able to learn from his mistakes quickly, unlike the previous management.

shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Fri May 10 2013, 06:35

Right you three b*stards have convinced me were gonna get cl place now.....if we f@#k it up keep your windows locked. Lol
    nhg72
    nhg72
    4th Division
    4th Division

Post by nhg72 Fri May 10 2013, 07:19

like we all know avb had a lot of things to prove when he came to the lane he took over a squad with big game players and some quality thrown in the mix . my son is a die hard chelski fan and he said that given time avb will be one of the most talked about and wanted managers , his passion for the game shines through and he wants big things at the lane . with sandro back to boss the midfeild and kaboul i truly believe that we only need a decent striker and possible full back but i think rose is almost there we have a team that people take notice of and that is because of avb,s determination and spurs playing his way .neil
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Fri May 10 2013, 07:27

I think as well Neil we will see a different style of play next season not so relient on the width & pace of counter-attack but a more cultured posession based game . . . .
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Fri May 10 2013, 08:06

Guys, like I said earlier, Harry inherited a more balanced Squad then AVB and kept making the same mistakes time and time again, AVB of course has made some mistakes, but seems to put them right more quickly.
    The players (Ekotto aside) seem to embrace his more tactical and professional attitude and watching the bench yesterday, they was all happy when we scored and angry when decisions didn't go our way, they mostly have had a fair crack of the whip and all try that bit harder when they do play, 4th or 5th I'm more then happy with the direction we are going in.

shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Fri May 10 2013, 08:36

Lot of rumors around kabouls knee is going same way as ledleys. He might be sold.

Post by Guest Fri May 10 2013, 08:44

DJ your right. the whole sqaud seems happy unlike last season when harry played the same 11 untill they dropped.

players like kranker piinnar pav saha gio never got used.
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Fri May 10 2013, 08:53

I'm afraid I don't agree with you guys. I feel very dissapointed with this season. I think our football has been the worst we have played for at east 3 or 4 seasons.
    At times we have looked poor and disorganised and our passing has never come close to last season and the accolades that "The best the premier has ever seen"

What I would like is for somebody to tell me what is so special about AVB and what they have seen to make them believe he is going to make us a great side. Because I can't see it.

Souness and Hoddle said last night that they believed this season has been a dissapointment for Spurs and that they have not performed as well as last season and I agree.

Surely the manager has to take some of the blame if not most of it.

I'm sorry but I'm not convinced he is up for the job.

Don't get me wrong I'm not advocated that he goes we can't keep changing managers alhough I was one of those that did not want him in the first place. All I'm saying is don't expect miracles from him next season.

I think many have been swayed by the passion he shows on the touchline but so does Pardew and Di Canio but they are crap managers.

I'm interested in your views on his genious cos'I'm afraid I don't see it.

Mikey M
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Sat May 11 2013, 00:50

I thought Vis and Neil summed it up very well Mikey, I mean what else is their for people to say, you either think that under AVB the club has a great future, which I think we do, and I am very excited about it, or people can think to themselves that they are not quite sure as to the future of the club under AVB. I do not think it is anything to do with the passion he shows although I love to see it, I think he is a breath of fresh air, a change to the likes of Harry, O'Neil and Wenger etc, and he has instilled in the players the passion he feels for the club and the game. We must give him time, you know as well as I do the double side did not come about in Bill's first season, and I honestly believe that he will become one of the greatest managers this club has ever had. By the way Shear, I will be boarding my windows up mate if we fail to make fourth spot.
    seebee1944
    seebee1944
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by seebee1944 Sat May 11 2013, 02:14

The biggest change I've seen is that the team are far more tenacious than before thenever give up we've seen with last few minutes goals. take the other night against Chelsea a midfield thats never played together before, Huddlestone not played that much, Holtby still obviously finding his feet in the premiership and Parker. But they kept going even though at times Chelsea had more technical players.
    nhg72
    nhg72
    4th Division
    4th Division

Post by nhg72 Sat May 11 2013, 03:37

avb is a competent manager and he has age on his side .the speacial one holds great respect for avb and the spurs faithful have started to respect him to .
    there have been critics who thought he would not last until christmas but he has .
    i take my hat off to avb i think he has done good seeing the injuries we have had . sandro will be back soon to add some steel wich i relish the thought to see him destroy midfeilds with ease .like i said we need a striker and it will come sooner that later .avb will beacome a great manager and he has time on his side .
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Sat May 11 2013, 04:49

Good post Neil. I want the fans to get behind AVB, and I believe that a majority have. I said a few seasons back when Martin Jol was sacked, I was a big fan of his, that this club can not keep sacking managers, I believe we had gone through about 20 managers at the time. Harry?, well I was not a big fan of his, and I think he rocked the boat a bit and that was that, but thats water under the bridge now. I want AVB to be given at least two or three more seasons to see if he can deliver, I would say six seasons as that was how long Fergie took to bring glory to United, but I know fall well Levy and the supporters would not be happy with that, but I do not think it would take AVB that long to bring back glory to the club anyway. As you say he will make a great manager, still young, still learning, but he will deliver.

Post by Guest Sat May 11 2013, 06:35

i think hes doing a decent job with the players he had.
    hes made mistakes but we never played so well away from home.

its just our home form we need to sort out

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 05 2024, 16:22