The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
 GALLAS ???? EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
 GALLAS ???? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
 GALLAS ???? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
 GALLAS ???? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
 GALLAS ???? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
 GALLAS ???? EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
 GALLAS ???? EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
 GALLAS ???? EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
 GALLAS ???? EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

GALLAS ???? Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+7
SuneJim
spurslegend
shearspur
ArnieArdiles
ionman34
BazSpur
totalytot
11 posters

GALLAS ????

GALLAS ???? Empty GALLAS ????

Post by Guest Wed Aug 11 2010, 02:12

Today, the transfer market was rocked by news that Arsenal defender William Gallas could be trading the red of Arsenal for the white of Tottenham. While rumours of Michael Dawson’s exit remain firmly lodged in cool water, the fitness of Ledley King and Jonathan Woodgate remain urgent issues in need of a solution.

Harry Redknapp now has the trump card of almost guaranteed Champions League football, following their pairing with Swiss Premier League runners up BSC Young Boys, and as his future with Arsenal has remained a debatable issue for a while now, Gallas could well be off to their rivals.

There can be no denying that despite his advancing years, Gallas would be a valuable asset to Harry Redknapp’s team as they look to establish themselves among Europe’s elite. These negotiations are not just because of Tottenham’s defensive woes, but paradoxically, Gallas has hit some goals of great industry and importance over the years, despite full-backs being typecast as terrible shots – one memorable strike was a 25 yard curler in his Chelsea days, ironically against Spurs in injury time, to win the derby.

Apart from his offerings all over the pitch, Gallas has the European experience needed to get Tottenham through testing times in the Champions League, where any defensive naiveties are mercilessly punished. This knowledge of European attacking formations combined with an almost unrivaled passion (which sometimes boils over in ugly fashion) could be the making of Tottenham, especially when away goals begin to count for something.

Ultimately, the move for Gallas shows great shrewdness, since Redknapp is able to utilise Arsene Wenger’s alleged weakness of not being willing to play “older” players, seen by some as a reason why they have been without silverware for five years.

If, this time tomorrow, Gallas is holding a Tottenham scarf over his head with Redknapp and chairman Daniel Levy grinning by his side, then his live-on-Sky return to the Emirates Stadium on November 21st could make for one of the juiciest Premier League clash the world has ever seen.

Would you realy want a goon wearing the hallowed lillywhite shirt??
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

GALLAS ???? Empty Re: GALLAS ????

Post by totalytot Wed Aug 11 2010, 02:51

I don't care where they come from as long as they can do a job for our team, after all they are all mercenaries, so why should'nt we use them like they use us.
    Gallas could do a job for us for this season which is a crucial one, if not the most crucial for many many years. He has great European and International experience. My only problem with him is he never seems to get on well with managers or players.
    But I really don't see him coming to us.

Mikey M
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed Aug 11 2010, 03:13

Don't want him. He'll only sit down and cry lol.

Post by Guest Wed Aug 11 2010, 03:19

GALLAS ???? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaKqIkCYwJIkMwIsoVD7ihwNI78keBpoRRAiuuXa3H2R6VXCI&t=1&usg=__4KLozqAjX_Eu5ECIkZMzwGi3dFc=

DO YOU MEAN LIKE THIS?

Post by Guest Wed Aug 11 2010, 03:25

Not for me, but if he where to join I would politely applaud him if he played well (and scream and eff & blind if he didn't lol) . . . . . .
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Wed Aug 11 2010, 03:39

I'm with Mikey, I'd take him like a shot but just can't see 'Man who sucks Lemons' weakening the goons to strengthen us no matter how much money. Particularly when they offered Judas another year. Goon or not, Gallas is a top drawer defender and it would be nice to weaken them in much the same way they did us when Judas went to them.

Personally I think it's more 'meeja' space filling.

Post by Guest Wed Aug 11 2010, 03:53

ionman34 wrote:I'm with Mikey, I'd take him like a shot but just can't see 'Man who sucks Lemons' weakening the goons to strengthen us no matter how much money. Particularly when they offered Judas another year. Goon or not, Gallas is a top drawer defender and it would be nice to weaken them in much the same way they did us when Judas went to them.

Personally I think it's more 'meeja' space filling.

I think you are right ion, i find it amusing that every player is being linked to spurs by the media,
    just because Harry hasnt signed anyone else apart from sandro as yet.

(Note the big YET!)

Post by Guest Wed Aug 11 2010, 03:54

Getting on, getting slow, prone to childish & petulant outbursts ! Are you sure it's not the myopic one trying to weaken other teams by off-loading him ? I don't see the value of bringing in a 31yr old defender for a season only, we would be better off with someone like Micah Richards and looking to the future and continuity . . . . . . .

Post by Guest Wed Aug 11 2010, 04:23

hes left arsenal now so they dont have a say. im not sure though as hes always caught out of poistion
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Wed Aug 11 2010, 04:27

I can see the logic of bringing in a Nayabet type signing but I'd rather it wasnt Gallas ...
    Lets tap up Rio Ferdinand  GALLAS ???? Icon_cool

Post by Guest Wed Aug 11 2010, 05:09

Not Rio either Arnie. Now there ia an over-rated player ! I want to see us unearth another 2/3 Dawson type gems. Now he ain't the greatest but he gets better every season. In King & Woodgate we have 2 of the finest centre halfs of their generation. Lets use their knowledge and panache to coach a young defence to take on some of their superb reading of the game. A lot of that is instinctive but with the right players King & Woodgate could coach us a defence to take on the very best. I'm a firm believer in the idea that the best teams are attacking teams that can do this as they have a firm, regular defence behind them. Let's get youngsters and build a defence that could stay together for many seasons and pave the way for glory . . . . .
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Wed Aug 11 2010, 05:25

The central defensive positions is where I like most to see experience , Vis ...Rio was said in jest hence the shades lol ...Rio is in the comfort zone and thinking more of his intrests outside of football ... I do feel that a, Puyol type would be great for us out on the field when Dawson and others may well need resting .... Corluka and or Kaboul may be ok if need be but not for me against the better teams ....

Post by Guest Wed Aug 11 2010, 05:31

I see the point people are making for an experienced player at centre-half Arnie but is it worth (and all this is hypothetical as it's based on a meeja rumour) of bringing in a tempestuous player for one season only in defence ? Up-front, yes and midfield, yes. But in defence you need players you can trust and build a spring-board forward with . . . . . . . .
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Wed Aug 11 2010, 06:07

never red. no thanks
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Wed Aug 11 2010, 07:28

[quote="VisionarySound"]I see the point people are making for an experienced player at centre-half Arnie but is it worth (and all this is hypothetical as it's based on a meeja rumour) of bringing in a tempestuous player for one season only in defence ? Up-front, yes and midfield, yes. But in defence you need players you can trust and build a spring-board forward with . . . . . . . .

We have Walker and Caulker hopefully to progress into these positions in the next couple of seasons , Vis ...By then, Mr Tottenham Dawson will have lifted the major honours and be aged 28 -29 ........ An experienced center-half added to our squad in the mean time makes sense to me but please let it not be Gallas ....

Post by Guest Wed Aug 11 2010, 19:18

The possibility of Tottenham signing William Gallas appears to have been put on the back burner, with the former Arsenal defender insisting on being granted a two-year contract.

Gallas joined Arsenal from Chelsea in 2006. Arsene Wenger reportedly offered the defender a one-year deal to stay at the Emirates Stadium this summer but Gallas demanded a longer contract. With Wenger having refused to extend the offer, Gallas has become a free agent.

Although the likes of Paris St Germain and Panathinaikos are mulling a move for Gallas, Tottenham have also reportedly been considering signing the centre-back. Spurs boss Harry Redknapp is keen to add some experience to his back four, given the physical frailties of Ledley King and Jonathan Woodgate .

However, according to UK media reports, Tottenham are as reluctant as arch-rivals Arsenal to give 32-year-old Gallas a deal for longer than a year.

Post by Guest Wed Aug 11 2010, 19:44

Quite right too. Greedy B
    spurslegend
    spurslegend
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by spurslegend Thu Aug 12 2010, 01:35

bring him in it would be the 1st english club hes played for
    SuneJim
    SuneJim
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by SuneJim Thu Aug 12 2010, 05:35

I am strangely not as adverse to this as i'd have thought after pondering it for a while. Right lets start with the fact in his Chelsea & a*se-nal days he's covered every back position there is & is an old hand in the CL. So that has to be a real good selling point.

Then onto his on field petulance,,,,,,,,,, not for being subbed or fouled it was because they didn't win. Call me stupid but that's exactly the attitude i want at Spurs. Players that show there frustration when results don't go there way.

Right now for the fact he played for a*se-nal,,,,,,, well there's no getting away from the fact he has. But he's not exactly Mr Gooner is he he spent a lot of time with Chelsea as well. We have to get over this poor relation syndrome & accept a very good player when we get one regardless of who he "USED" to play for.

In my humble opinion he'd be a very good addition to the squad.
    cstmrsking
    cstmrsking
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by cstmrsking Thu Aug 12 2010, 10:16

Right now for the fact he played for a*se-nal,,,,,,, well there's no getting away from the fact he has. But he's not exactly Mr Gooner is he he spent a lot of time with Chelsea as well. We have to get over this poor relation syndrome & accept a very good player when we get one regardless of who he "USED" to play for.

I'm inclined to agree Jim. We, as all over rival Clubs get into this, we dont want xyz because they used to Play for ... Truth is, as i see it, is this. Forget for a moment who the Player plays for, if for example Gallashad never played for Asrenil, would it be problem if Spurs wanted him? No.
    IF! he, or who ever is the right Man for the Job, and could possibly do a job, are they not then the righ Man for the Club?
    We can still have, the old Rivalry relationships, maybe even Krank it up a bit. But lets think when it comes to winning with our Heads not our Hearts.

Post by Guest Thu Aug 12 2010, 15:41

SuneJim wrote:I am strangely not as adverse to this as i'd have thought after pondering it for a while. Right lets start with the fact in his Chelsea & a*se-nal days he's covered every back position there is & is an old hand in the CL. So that has to be a real good selling point.

Then onto his on field petulance,,,,,,,,,, not for being subbed or fouled it was because they didn't win. Call me stupid but that's exactly the attitude i want at Spurs. Players that show there frustration when results don't go there way.

In my humble opinion he'd be a very good addition to the squad.

I was going to say the very same thing jim but thought i might get docked points for it.  GALLAS ???? Icon_surprised
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Aug 12 2010, 20:07

GALLAS ???? Lol Lew.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Fri Aug 13 2010, 00:31

It's not so much the fact that Gallas is an ex Goon ...Its more the character that I dont like ....What about when at Chelsea and all that buisness about scoring an own goal and help to lose a game due to his unhappiness with the contract that was being offered to him , also refusing to play in a semi-final ....etc ..?

He is a great player but he does comes across as a rather contemptuous sort so for me could be a disruptive influence behind the scenes ..... I.e. not one for a harmonious dressing room ....

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/gallas-made-threat-to-score-own-goal-say-angry-chelsea-414706.html
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Fri Aug 13 2010, 02:17

On the other hand he could have a blinding season just to get back at Wenger and the players, who didn't seem to like him at all.
    I have always said I would love to see Richards at WHL.I rate him highly but I don't think for a minute City would let him go.

Mikey M

Post by Guest Fri Aug 13 2010, 04:00

It's not to do with his 'previous'. I would take Vermalion off the goners tomorrow if we had chance, it's his attitude and my personal feeling that with defenders we should be looking for players to take us forward not just stay a season . . . . .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content