The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Positive EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Positive EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Positive EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Positive EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Positive EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Positive EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Positive EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Positive EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Positive EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Positive Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+5
HotspurRoper
shearspur
Boycey
DJSR
BazSpur
9 posters

Positive

Positive Empty Positive

Post by Guest Sun Aug 15 2010, 00:54

Well I'm greatly encouraged. I saw a Spurs team that was setteled and playing good football. 'arry sent out a team to attack and in the 1st half we done just that. We came up against another 'keeper who decided to have a blinder at The Lane and 2 centre-halfs who where on top of their game ! We created many chances and it wasn't down to poor finishing that we didn't go in at half-time at least 3 up. I didn't see a bad performance from any Spurs player. 13 attempts & only 4 off target. Positive subs from 'arry as well. OK I'm dissapointed we didn't win but that is out weighed by the teams performance over-all. 2nd half we sat back a bit more but we can't bomb forward for 90 minutes the whole time. Our defence was not really tested and for once I have to agree with Andy Gray. He said before the match that Citeh where set-up not to lose ! As far as 1st games go we can take as much confidence out of this we could out of last seasons opener against Liverpool . . . . .
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Positive Empty Re: Positive

Post by BazSpur Sun Aug 15 2010, 01:03

Will City win the Prem as Mancini has predicted? Not a chance on that performance. His team looked clueless and very dis-jointed. They were very, very lucky it could have been 6-0 and that was just the first half. We know what we are capable of now. Lets move on.
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Sun Aug 15 2010, 01:49

Great performance by the lads today and what a great 1st half, outstanding and couldnt of asked for more. 2nd half i was a bit dissappointed that we didnt carry on like in the 1st half, but we did run out of steam, which was probably caused by the midweek internationals. I thought Harry tried everything he could to try and get the win and made some positive subs, but i felt that Lennon should of stayed on, and i would have taken Huddlestone off for Palacios, as Man City did start to run the midfield. Overall i am satisfied with our performance, the whole team played well, Bale could of nicked it for us in the end, but it wasnt to be.
    Boycey
    Boycey
    3rd Division
    3rd Division

Post by Boycey Sun Aug 15 2010, 03:21

I even think Dos Santos looked good when he came on...been alot of talk about him in the press lately and i think maybe the world cup has been good for him and given him the confidence he needed.

So pleased with the way we played and if it was not for a Man of the Match performance from Hart we would have had a hatfull of goals....Heres looking forward to Tuesday and then next weekend!!!!

COYS the future is bright
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Sun Aug 15 2010, 03:46

Yer Dos Santos looked good when he came on, tried a bit too hard and lost the ball on occasions when he should of played the easy pass. But i still thought that Harry should of changed Thudds for Palacios when Citeh started taking control of the midfield, would of helped.
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Sun Aug 15 2010, 03:57

just got back from match, outplayed them for 45 mins and should of gone in 3 up halftime. that bloody vincent kompany should have been sent off but the ref bottled booking him again then he clears off the line for them when he shouldnt have been on the pitch. funny when adeybayor came on got plenty of stick and toure was getting booed all game lol. quite a good game for a nil nil and ekotto played a blinder today. onwards and upwards lads. coys
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Sun Aug 15 2010, 04:00

nice one shear, i tried getting a ticket, all gone!
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Sun Aug 15 2010, 06:09

yeah me and a mate went but couldnt sit together, same row but 5 seats apart, was ok though. my next games villa home on 2nd october. tried for the young boys game at home but all gone. it was the first day today of no tickets sent to us they just scan your membership card at the turnstile now it has a bar code on it so they know youve paid
    HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Post by HotspurRoper Sun Aug 15 2010, 07:51

Thought our man of the match was Modric, tried to create going forward but it was his defensive display that did it for me, Breaking up there play in midfield nipping in to win the ball winning tackles, its a side of his game iv never seen before. Well done Luka and the rest of the lads great performance especially the 1st half we hammered them!!!

Post by Guest Sun Aug 15 2010, 10:10

Modric was most impressive Lee. As you say it's a new side to his game. Also thought Thudd had a good 'un . . . . .. .
    HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Post by HotspurRoper Sun Aug 15 2010, 19:39

Huddlestone! That ball over the top for Defoe to run on to was sublime!!!
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Sun Aug 15 2010, 20:20

Great performance for 1st game of the season, looking a real team. Don't like to single out a player when the team played well but I thought Corluka did'nt look comfortable on the ball and left us exposed at times. I really hope Harry gets a decent right back in before the deadline. We do need a top striker as we can't go through the season missing chances like we created yesterday. Although in fairness we wont meet to many keepers this season who will perfom like Hart.

WELL PLAYED LADS!!!!!!

Mikey M
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sun Aug 15 2010, 21:02

I think we did everything right in front of goal Mikey. As you say we won't meet too many keepers like Joe Hart yesterday.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sun Aug 15 2010, 21:57

Having watched it again today, the thing that struck me the most was the air of comfort that the players seemed to have both on and off the ball. The whole team just oozed confidence, their mobility was fantastic and some of the passing was sublime, Ekotto in particular.

Hart showed just what an extraordinary talent he is and their defence worked quite well as a unit ...................... And yet we still made enough clear cut chances to have buried Citeh before half an hour was up. Can't fault the effort from all quarters of the pitch, particularly from midfield with efforts on goal.

Hopefully now, that's our 'we could have been on for 180 minutes and never scored' game out of the way. Everyone has them, it feels like we have them more than most at times, and move on from them. The next couple of weeks will tell but I think we are going to see a shedload of goals from this team, Christ half the team should have been on the scoresheet already!

Overall, they look like a team that knows the sum of its parts. Going forward we look terrifying at times, particularly via our flanks, whilst our creativity seems to be from all over.

Defensively we just looked extremely solid and assured, easy enough, I suppose, when the visiting team only sets up with one striker, but when called upon the boys looked totally unruffled.

We've hit the ground running, albeit without the extra 2 points we deserved, but I don't think we are anywhere near top gear yet.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sun Aug 15 2010, 22:11

Bloody hell Ion if we were terrifying and not in top gear I can't wait to see us when we hit top gear. Positive 839792
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sun Aug 15 2010, 22:37

[quote="BazSpur"]Bloody hell Ion if we were terrifying and not in top gear I can't wait to see us when we hit top gear.

Exciting innit?

There's more to come from this team Baz and everyone else knows it as well. Citeh bring a host of International strikers to WHL and play only one of them? They tried to saturate the midfield with some top Internationals too but we tore them apart at will all through the first half and in parts during the second. Hart plays the game of his life and even then we hit the woodwork three times wasn't it?

All this without Lennon really having an outstanding game, mostly because Bale was torturing them on the left.

13 shots on target with the majority bringing some truly World Class saves out of Hart. Add to these the shots hitting the woodwork. Citeh used up every bit of luck they have any right to this season!

Damn I'n looking forward to the next game.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sun Aug 15 2010, 22:52

Bale was fecking awesome Ion along with Assou Ekotto. King looked like he wasn't suffering too much
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Sun Aug 15 2010, 23:59

Its just a shame Joe Lewis isnt a fan like us ........... It's so obvious at times , that if we had a Drogba, a Torres or a Rooney ,,,that special forward we would be up there for the premeirship title..
    eg:
    Lennon , Hudd, Modric, Bale
    Dzeko, Falcao

If I had Joe Lewis billions and were the Spurs owner,,,, I'd give you all these and sod balancing the books lol
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Aug 16 2010, 00:15

He is a business man first and foremost though Arnie and that's the difference.

Post by Guest Mon Aug 16 2010, 00:35

And let's not knock him for that as it gives the club a firm financial footing . . . . . . .
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Mon Aug 16 2010, 04:40

Ekotto is one of the most pleasing things for me. Last season he seemed like he didn't really care about the result at times. He even said that it was just a living to him and that football wasn't that important to him. But since Bale has had a resurgance in form and is playing out of his skin, it seems that Ekotto has thought that his position could be in danger, where last year until he got injured he was an automatic choice.
    No. the team is looking good and they all seem up for it and I think they will all have gone away from the game dissapointed they didn't get all 3 points and that can only be good for the next game.

I know I said it before but I would like to see a class r/back come in as Corluka is still the weak link for me.

Mikey M
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Aug 16 2010, 05:44

VisionarySound wrote:And let's not knock him for that as it gives the club a firm financial footing . . . . . . .

Quite right Vis.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Tue Aug 17 2010, 00:47

BazSpur wrote:
    VisionarySound wrote:And let's not knock him for that as it gives the club a firm financial footing . . . . . . .

Quite right Vis.

Im not knocking him , it's his money to do with what he likes but if his billions were in my possesion , I'd be writing out a cheque, aka a £60m gift to Spurs to get those top notch forwards ...

Post by Guest Tue Aug 17 2010, 07:05

Unfortunately Arnie the pennies ain't with you mate . . . . . .
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Tue Aug 17 2010, 07:34

[quote="VisionarySound"]Unfortunately Arnie the pennies ain't with you mate . . . . . .

Yep, Vis very unfortunate lol

The thing is , I'm not just speaking just from my Spurs heart but looking at it as a not so bad a buisness proposition ...Speculate to accumulate and all that ..

We have four forwards each worth around the 10 million pound mark, maybe Defoe a little more ... I'd say to , Harry sell any two of your choosing and use my gift of £60m and bring in two top notch forwards .... With the squad we already have, the big prizes could be ours and would go a long way in cementing our top four status ...This would add value to the share price and could well attract an outright buyer at an inflated price ....

I think giving the funds to Harry at this point could well be good buisness for Joe Lewis as an investment ...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07 2024, 23:58