The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Olympic stadium..... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Olympic stadium..... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Olympic stadium..... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Olympic stadium..... - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Olympic stadium..... - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Olympic stadium..... - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Olympic stadium..... - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Olympic stadium..... - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Olympic stadium..... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Olympic stadium..... - Page 2 Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+4
djfitzo
BazSpur
DJSR
HotspurRoper
8 posters

Olympic stadium.....

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Olympic stadium..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Olympic stadium.....

Post by BazSpur Sat Oct 09 2010, 00:17

£400,000,000.00 More?

I don't think it will be 400 mill more. As I say Levy would have costed it all out before all this. Otherwise he would have said it aint on. We'll see.
    cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by cynicsid Sat Oct 09 2010, 00:31

BazSpur wrote:£400,000,000.00 More?

I don't think it will be 400 mill more. As I say Levy would have costed it all out before all this. Otherwise he would have said it aint on. We'll see.

I'm sure he has, thats why he's put a bid in for the Olympic stadium.

Just a thought.. Win the Olympic site, develope WHL for us, and let' the Olympic site to West Ham & the orient. Make em share. LOL

Post by Guest Sat Oct 09 2010, 01:14

shearspur wrote:i cant beleive any of you are even giving the slightest hint in favour of a move to EAST london, if it happens it is a total kick in the Bollox to ordinary supporters of the club over many years. i dont give a crap about the 100 000 000 for team rebuilding because the rebuilt team you will be watching wont be north londons historic tottenham hotspurs but a new club in the east end full of johnny come latelys there for the new glory the money may bring. the heart of this club will be ripped out and buried in the rubble of the old white hart lane underneath a bloody tescos or similar, along with mine.good luck to em.

Shear I'm 100% with you. I do not want to see OUR club move . . . . . .
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat Oct 09 2010, 01:18

It would make more sense for the Spams to be offered the stadium. They remain the favourites to get it as they would take it as is. Plus they have the backing of Newham Council who are backing the spams.
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Sat Oct 09 2010, 04:44

first time ive wanted spams to win anything.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 09 2010, 09:02

shearspur wrote:first time ive wanted spams to win anything.

Im with you on that Shear.!!!!
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Oct 11 2010, 08:01

]From Topspurs.com

10th October 2010 - Stratford Hotspur

Since 1999 I have missed four matches at home. The four games I missed were because of clashes with one of my son’s birth, my son’s nativity, my other son’s communion and my daughter’s birthday. When push comes to shove, my kids come first, but I won’t deny it Tottenham plays a big part in my life.

Although it was only since I left university that I started going week in week out, Tottenham has been part of me since I was a boy, my Dad first took me when I was about nine, his whole family being Spurs, my Nan even went to Rotterdam to see us win the Cup Winners Cup in ’63, and I grew up knowing I would be Spurs and I was proud.

Tottenham is not exactly the nicest part of London, but we have been based in the area since our formation by group of local school boys and have played at White Hart Lane for 111 years. It is our home it is our history.
    Over the years since I have been following them, success has been thin. Although I have witnessed the highs of three victories in Cup finals, I have also seen far too many defeats against our rivals and seen us choke too many times in important games, defeats which have been hard to take. But overall I think Tottenham is a great club to support. Apart from the dismal Graham era we have tried to play entertaining football, indeed this in ingrained in our DNA. I remember a time when we were beating Southampton in the 90s 2-1 at half time and the players were booed off, Ian Walker looked at the crowd in dismay – the reason? Our football had been negative, and we don’t do negative. I have seen many fantastic players wearing the famous Cockerel. Indeed a greatest team from my lifetime, would be an embarrassment of skilful players and would include such players as Ardiles, Hoddle, Waddle, Ginola, Gascoigne, son of a rapist, Modric and now Van der Vaart.

Indeed the current squad is as good as I have ever known. The future looks bright and with a new training ground and a new White Hart Lane, perhaps golden.

However the news last week could change all this, for we have put our hat in the ring to become tenants in East London. And if this happens, Daniel Levy would rip the soul out of the club in stroke and destroy 128 years of history.

I have no roots to Stratford. I do not identify with Stratford in any way. I have no desire to support a club from Stratford.

I don’t buy into this “smoke screen” strategy either, either we are fully committed to staying in Tottenham or we are not.

So, despite my love for my club, despite the fact that it plays such a big part in my life, despite the fact that I miss on average just one home game every two and a bit years, I would miss every home game if we moved into east London, as I would never set foot in the Olympic stadium unless Spurs were the away team. For Tottenham would be no better than the MK Dons is they moved to Stratford. In fact we would be just like our hated rivals who hail from Woolwich and who moved unwanted into North London 97 years ago.
    Daniel Levy, in the unlikely event that you read this, please dismiss this ridiculous idea immediately. For, we are Tottenham Hotspur. We are Tottenham.

Post by Guest Tue Oct 12 2010, 01:03

Finally look's like some good news is starting to dribble out of this one . . . . . . . .

UK Athletics has given its "formal support" to West Ham's bid to take over London's Olympic Stadium after 2012.
    Unlike rival bidders Tottenham, the Hammers and Newham council have vowed to keep a running track at the venue.
    UKA chairman Ed Warner praised West Ham's "clear commitment to the spirit of the Olympic legacy.
    The Olympic Park Legacy Company is in the middle of the process of deciding who will take over the 80,000-seater venue in east London, after the Games.
    "We believe the collaboration of West Ham, Newham and UKA gives the strongest opportunity for a vibrant sporting legacy that will go well beyond 2012," said Warner.
    The news is a major boost to West Ham after Spurs and entertainment giant AEG this month submitted their formal interest in taking over the stadium as a back-up to the club's proposed redevelopment of its White Hart Lane home.

ondon Olympics chairman Sebastian Coe backed the Hammers' bid to take over the stadium in August after the club announced they pledged to keep a permanent athletics track.
    And Warner is believed to have been angered by AEG president Tim Leiweke's claim that it would not make economic sense to keep the stadium geared up for athletics because of a small number of major events that could be staged at the venue.
    Warner added: "What has impressed me so much about the joint bid from West Ham and Newham is their clear commitment to the spirit of the Olympic legacy and not just athletics at the elite end, but with the retention of the community track, our future champions and club runners too.
    "It was clear from the start that only a partnership approach would bring to life the vision Seb Coe had when he committed to an athletics legacy in 2005."
    West Ham players, including Scott Parker, Carlton Cole and Mark Noble delivered the club's bid to run the stadium at 10 Downing Street at the end of September.
    Their plan is to convert the stadium to a 60,000-capacity arena for football, athletics, concerts and community use.
    Warner also praised West Ham's support for hosting the 2015 World Athletics Championships at the stadium if London beats Beijing in the bidding to host the event.

The Olympic Park Legacy Company (OPLC) is hoping to select a tenant by March 2011.
    Hammers vice-chairman Karren Brady said: "This is fantastic news. We believe ours is the only bid that can deliver London's legacy commitment to the International Olympic Committee. UKA's endorsement is a powerful and highly-valued testament of that.
    "Our plan is not just to have a new stadium for West Ham but a real sporting centre for London and the rest of the country.
    "We want to create a home of sport, featuring two of the greatest sports, football and athletics, side by side where they can grow and flourish together both in terms of spectatorship and participation at every level.
    "UKA have been great in helping us develop that vision over the past eight months and, together with Newham Council, we are ideally placed to make our dream a reality."

Let's all get behind UK Atheletics and the Bubble Blowers and lend our full support to this . . . . .
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Tue Oct 12 2010, 02:07

They'll need our support Vis ......................

West Ham fill a 60,000 seater stadium every home game?

lmao lmao lmao lmao
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Tue Oct 12 2010, 04:03

80,000 isn't it ion? Lol. Great news. Heard it on Radio 2.
    cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by cynicsid Tue Oct 12 2010, 09:24

Levy's next step will be to offer twice what west ham are offering and a new track elsewhere on the site. We do not want west ham to get this cheap it wont help us at all.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Tue Oct 12 2010, 12:38

cynicsid wrote:Levy's next step will be to offer twice what west ham are offering and a new track elsewhere on the site. We do not want west ham to get this cheap it wont help us at all.

I get the impression here that you want us to go to the Olympic Stadium site mate. Why is that?

I understand that you see it as the cheaper alternative but I don't share your trepidation about the overall cost of a rebuild at WHL to be honest. Yes, it is quite feasible that the cost could rise but this would only happen if the designers do a half arsed job and leave us open to variation. Even then you're looking at, in reality, a maximum of 10% of the overall cost. I also noted that you didn't factor in the revenue that will be raised through naming rights, businesses actually setting up shop WITHIN the stadium itself, corporate usage, tourism and a myriad other uses of the stadium, and surrounds, that will put money into the coffers.

I would hate to see us turn our backs on the History we have, at WHL, just because it's a cheaper option. East London doesn't offer us a larger fan pool, doesn't offer us richer clientele, doesn't offer us anything we don't already have in Tottenham. If anything it offers us less, far less.

cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by cynicsid Tue Oct 12 2010, 18:41

OK I will be clear, I want to stay at WHL..

However I see that Levy is a property guru and very good at it, I also see the potential of vast profit if the Olympic stadium choice was used.

All those things you mention naming rights etc. can all be done at the Olympic site as well as re developing WHL for profit. Make no mistake when the goons took on a 350M project they knew that within a few years they would be reaping the redevelopment of the old ground. staying at WHL we will get some of that because of the land we have bought up but nowere near as much.

So I have been mearly pointing out that we are faced with a choice of very strong finances early on or high risk and tradition intact.
    We also dont want West Ham to get an easy ride as the only potential bidders, cos if they are, then it will be them with the team building cash not us.

ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Tue Oct 12 2010, 19:31

cynicsid wrote:
    OK I will be clear, I want to stay at WHL..

Righto.

However I see that Levy is a property guru and very good at it, I also see the potential of vast profit if the Olympic stadium choice was used.

Accepted. But would this profit go to Spurs or to Enic? It may be the view of Enic that, should they move us over the river, Northumberland Park is then theirs to exploit and cut the club out altogether.

Thereby leaving us fans in an area of London we don't want to be in, in a cut price stadium, lacking the type of atmosphere that the Northumberland Park Stadium is designed specifically for, with a 'token sum' given to the team to buy players.

All speculation but possible wouldn't you agree?

All those things you mention naming rights etc. can all be done at the Olympic site as well as re developing WHL for profit. Make no mistake when the goons took on a 350M project they knew that within a few years they would be reaping the redevelopment of the old ground. staying at WHL we will get some of that because of the land we have bought up but nowere near as much.

But the goons don't have the development that is planned for Spurs mate. Yes, they'll reap the benefits of the sale of those properties. But that is finite. Once sold, they're gone. We will have a continued influx of cash from the Hotel and Hypermarket, either through personal management (of the Hotel) and ground rent for the Hypermarket, or ground rent for both. I believe we will also have property for sale there.

So I have been mearly pointing out that we are faced with a choice of very strong finances early on or high risk and tradition intact.

Cool. I was just a tad confused on where you stood regarding the move.

We also dont want West Ham to get an easy ride as the only potential bidders, cos if they are, then it will be them with the team building cash not us.

The Olympic Stadium is more likely to be the death of them Sid, IMHO. Currently they are skint and in debt. They would need to raise the collateral to mortgage the property, then additional money to remodel it. They would then need to fill it, every single Home game, in order to manage their debt.

Where will they get 60 to 80,000 fans from? They can barely fill Upton Park.

Say they borrow an extra £100 mill for team building. What players will they buy that are going to put them in a CL position to gain that extra revenue? They're not Citeh with almost unlimited reserves of cash. In comparison, 100 mill is peanuts. They'll also be in competition with richer, and more established, clubs for the type of player they need. They will have to build as we have over the past 10 or so years and make the same mistakes. All with a 250 to 400 million debt hanging over their heads.

They'll go pop before they're half way there, particularly if Platini's ruling comes in. How on Earth will they be able to operate within their capabilities?

This is actually a really good subject for debate because there are so many positives and negatives to both sides of the argument. I can see where you are coming from here though, but I honestly believe that our future prosperity is more assured at WHL.
    cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by cynicsid Tue Oct 12 2010, 20:33

I dont see west ham struggling if they are handed the olympic stadium on a plate. it wont be expencive for them if no one else is competing for it. and lets face it as an athletics stadium it's a white elephant.

West ham will have upton park to cash in on dont forget

Frankly I think they should take away the top teir and gift the stadium to the Orient with a 25k seating capacity. after all the stadium was paid for by londoners it should be seen to be helping the smaller clubs not the already rich. and it's Orients Patch, infact they gave up their training ground to the zone.

Having said all that I think you may be closer than you think with the ENIC theory. Does a billionare who got his a*se smacked in the banking crisis go the sympethetic route and stay at WHL or will he want to go get his money back by developing WHL after precuring a peach of a deal off his govenment pals for the olympic developement????? Not forgetting the up keep of the Olympic zone will cost a fortune and the local govenment wont want to cover that.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Tue Oct 12 2010, 21:25

cynicsid wrote:I dont see west ham struggling if they are handed the olympic stadium on a plate. it wont be expencive for them if no one else is competing for it. and lets face it as an athletics stadium it's a white elephant.

There is that granted. What I keep thinking, though, is that the Spam cannot maintain their current debt. Add the extra expense of buying the stadium, remodelling it and then trying to keep it full ............ They have a loyal following but it is a small one. I'd see their debt just increasing, particularly when you consider just how badly mismanaged they've been, financially, for so many years.

West ham will have upton park to cash in on dont forget

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that they no longer owned Upton Park.

Frankly I think they should take away the top teir and gift the stadium to the Orient with a 25k seating capacity. after all the stadium was paid for by londoners it should be seen to be helping the smaller clubs not the already rich. and it's Orients Patch, infact they gave up their training ground to the zone.

Now that I'd go along with.

Having said all that I think you may be closer than you think with the ENIC theory. Does a billionare who got his a*se smacked in the banking crisis go the sympethetic route and stay at WHL or will he want to go get his money back by developing WHL after precuring a peach of a deal off his govenment pals for the olympic developement????? Not forgetting the up keep of the Olympic zone will cost a fortune and the local govenment wont want to cover that.

When you consider it in that light, the Olympic Stadium doesn't really offer that much as an advantage of the Northumbeland Park Project does it. I think a further consideration is that we would never have autonomy in the stadium. Other parties will want to use it for their own purposes (athletics) and will try to dictate amenities etc, setting further stumbling blocks and costing more money in redesign etc.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Tue Oct 12 2010, 22:00

West Ham United's plans to move to Olympic Stadium met with approval from UK Athletics

West Ham United's hopes of moving into the Olympic Stadium after the 2012 Games received a boost on Monday when the UK governing body of athletics gave its official backing to the east London club's plans.

By Simon Hart
    Published: 7:16PM BST 11 Oct 2010

Olympic stadium..... - Page 2 Stadium_1727093c New surroundings: West Ham want to move to the Olympic Stadium after London 2012 Games Photo: GEOFF PUGH

Ed Warner, the chairman of UK Athletics, offered his full support to the joint bid by West Ham, Newham Council and entertainment company Live Nation just days after describing a rival bid by Tottenham Hotspur and 02 owners AEG as "an insult to the whole Olympic project".
    Under Tottenham's plans, the running track would be scrapped, breaking London's promise to the International Olympic Committee to provide an athletics legacy. West Ham's bid is for a multi-use stadium that includes athletics.

• West Ham's boost for Olympic stadium move plans.

"What has impressed me so much about the joint bid from West Ham and Newham is their clear commitment to the spirit of the Olympic legacy and not just athletics at the elite end, but with the retention of the community track, our future champions and club runners too," said Warner. "It was clear from the start that only a partnership approach would bring to life the vision Seb Coe had when he committed to an athletics legacy in 2005 and we believe the collaboration of West Ham, Newham and UKA gives the strongest opportunity for a vibrant sporting legacy that will go well beyond 2012."Karren Brady, the West Ham vice-chairman, described the governing body's backing as "fantastic news". "We believe ours is the only bid that can deliver London's legacy commitment to the International Olympic Committee," she said. "UKA's endorsement is a powerful and highly-valued testament of that."Baroness Ford, chair of the Olympic Park Legacy Company, confirmed last week that the stadium would have to retain an athletics track after 2012. The company hopes to make a decision on who will be the main tenant by December.Meanwhile Hugh Brasher, the son of London Marathon co-founder Chris, is to succeed David Bedford as race director of the 29-year-old event when the former 10,000 metres world record-holder stands down in three years' time. Brasher, who has been a director of the annual race from Blackheath to The Mall for the past two years, will take over in a structured changeover, acting as deputy race director next year, joint race director with Bedford in 2012 before assuming sole responsibility in 2013, when Bedford will switch to a part-time role. Bedford, 61, said: "Hugh Brasher, through his business experience in sporting events and understanding of the sport from every angle, was head and shoulders above the other applicants.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17 2024, 19:19