The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Redknapp, Suarez, Beckham, Bentley as well EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Redknapp, Suarez, Beckham, Bentley as well EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Redknapp, Suarez, Beckham, Bentley as well EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Redknapp, Suarez, Beckham, Bentley as well EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Redknapp, Suarez, Beckham, Bentley as well EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Redknapp, Suarez, Beckham, Bentley as well EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Redknapp, Suarez, Beckham, Bentley as well EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Redknapp, Suarez, Beckham, Bentley as well EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Redknapp, Suarez, Beckham, Bentley as well EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Redknapp, Suarez, Beckham, Bentley as well Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

2 posters

Redknapp, Suarez, Beckham, Bentley as well

Redknapp, Suarez, Beckham, Bentley as well Empty Redknapp, Suarez, Beckham, Bentley as well

Post by Guest Tue Jan 04 2011, 20:14

From today's Independent . . . . ..

The Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez is a target for Tottenham Hotspur this transfer window and his club Ajax have indicated privately that they would be prepared to sell the player for a fee of around £17m.

The decision on Suarez was the key issue at the club before Harry Redknapp raised the possibility of the loan signing of David Beckham on Friday which has dominated over the weekend. However, there are doubts among key figures at Spurs as to whether signing Beckham until March would be a wise move – and even Redknapp is thought to be less sure than he might have indicated.

While Redknapp has changed his mind dramatically in the past on major decisions, including those in his own managerial career, the indications yesterday were that Spurs would not follow-up with their interest in Beckham.

Redknapp, whose side play Everton at Goodison Park tomorrow, has been told by chairman Daniel Levy he will have funds to spend in the transfer window but a priority is a striker with Robbie Keane on his way out this month.

The prospect of signing Suarez, 23, is regarded as more in keeping with the club's possibility of signing young talent at good value and the debate at Spurs is whether he would be able to replicate his prolific Dutch league goalscoring in the Premier League.

The total cost of a deal for Suarez is also likely to break Spurs' relatively modest current transfer record of around £15.5m for Luka Modric. Impressive at the World Cup finals in South Africa, Suarez interested Spurs last summer and the signs from Ajax are that they are now prepared to cash in on a player who is regarded as one of the best in the Dutch league.

Redknapp will have the final say and he is not completely convinced of the Suarez's capacity to succeed in the English game. Any deal would also be contingent on moving on Keane for whom Spurs expect to have offers this month from the likes of Everton, Newcastle, Birmingham City and Stoke City.

The disadvantage for Spurs is that Suarez is also cup-tied for the Champions League group stages. The top goalscorer in the Dutch league with 35 last season, he has been the subject of controversy this season after he was suspended for seven games by the Dutch football association, the KNVB, in November for biting the shoulder of opponent Otman Bakkal in a game against PSV Eindhoven.

As for Beckham, the player's representatives know that they face major opposition from within the Major League Soccer hierarchy at yet another loan deal. Quite apart from the Achilles injury Beckham suffered playing for Milan in March, the MLS feel that his annual trips back to play in Europe over the past two years have diminished his value to their "brand".

They fear that the inevitable attention that would surround his return to the Premier League would see him regarded more as Tottenham's property than that of the Los Angeles Galaxy whose season begins in March.

Beckham's management team will negotiate with the MLS over the next week to get some understanding on whether he can go on loan to Europe over the next three months. The player has a preference for Spurs, although his spokesman said yesterday that more than one offer was on the table.

The story was ignited by Redknapp who said in his press conference that he was interested in the 35-year-old, thus contradicting everything said by the club up to that point. Redknapp's decision to express a public interest in Beckham is understood to have been impulsive and provoked by his frustration at David Bentley, who had pulled out of a training session.

LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Redknapp, Suarez, Beckham, Bentley as well Empty Re: Redknapp, Suarez, Beckham, Bentley as well

Post by LOBO Tue Jan 04 2011, 22:42

Here we go again

But is it really worth buying players from abroad ????

I mean its not the premierleague and these foreign leagues are not
    as strong as the premierleague , maybe hes better of staying in
    Holland, after all hes found his true level there, and the same could
    be said of all non Prem players lol
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Redknapp, Suarez, Beckham, Bentley as well Empty Re: Redknapp, Suarez, Beckham, Bentley as well

Post by BazSpur Wed Jan 05 2011, 00:14

Pav, VDV, Modric all come from abroad. Berbatoss was an unknown until he came to us. Of course players who played abroad can make it here as they have always done. I am quite sure Suarez could make it here. It all depends on the player.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Wed Jan 05 2011, 00:36

I see weve recalled kyle walker , Could be a good call, suarez i do like, i was impressed with him in the WC i loved his antics when he got sent off although he did deserve that i thought he was one of the best players in that WC , if we did get him i wouldnt grumble

Post by Guest Wed Jan 05 2011, 01:18

Good centre forward, seems to score for fun with Ajax. Suspect temprement. I would have thought a better summer buy than January, but could be worth a go . . . . . .

Post by Guest Wed Jan 05 2011, 02:24

Luis Suarez - Goals and Skills 09/10

LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Wed Jan 05 2011, 02:36

You have got to admit hes better than Defoe, he has so much ability , plus he knows how to take a penalty & free kick

Post by Guest Wed Jan 05 2011, 03:13

i think darren bent a better finniser then defoe.

it would be nice to get in a player that will fight every decesion.

we need sumone naughty at spurs.

as for beckham hes just staliing waitin to see if he gets better offers
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed Jan 05 2011, 05:35

He looks class. If only eh?

Post by Guest Wed Jan 05 2011, 05:58

[quote="Loughtonlegend"]i think darren bent a better finniser then defoe.[/quote]

Not at Spurs he wasn't Lought. Bent had 18 goals in 68 games at a goal every 3.33 games whereas Defoe has 64 goals in 187 games at a goal every 2.92 games. So Bent wasn't cut out to be a striker at Spurs, but has now found a team that suits his game. Good luck to him. Their total career averages are very simlar (Bent a goal every 2.36 games & Defoe at 2.38) but you have to say that Defoe has played at a higher level. longer & consistently, including goals for England, whereas Bent has not acheived his record at such rarified heights as Europe & Internationals . . . . . .

Post by Guest Wed Jan 05 2011, 06:40

how many starts did darren bent have at spurs. most of darren bents goals came from the bench.

defoe rarely scores aganst top 4 teams. has he ever scored away at arsenal man u .

bent often scores away aganst man u chelsea and arseal
    defoe has players creatin more chances then what sunderland create for him

defoe is 29 this year. since hes come back to spurs hes goal droughts have increased.

take away the 5 and 3 aganst hull and wigan then he hardly scored a goal in 2010 in the prem
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed Jan 05 2011, 07:07

how many starts did darren bent have at spurs. most of darren bents goals came from the bench.

Bloody hell Lought he must have some shot on him. And yet he missed a goal from close range lol.

Post by Guest Wed Jan 05 2011, 07:11

Lought FFS you can't takeaway those 8 goals because he scored them. Simple as. From what I can find in 2008/9 he made 33 apperances for Spurs coming on as a sub 12 times but starting the other 21. So he started almost twice as many as coming on as a sub ! The fact below states 27 starts but I'm not sure of the stat so he may have come on as a sub in that season . . . . .

FACT- Career low: His first season at Tottenham (2007/2008) he failed to justify his big price tag as he scored just six goals in 27 starts. It was the first time since his first season in 2001-02 that he failed to hit double figures.

Post by Guest Wed Jan 05 2011, 08:56

well in hes other games in 2010 prem year he hasnt scored. he hasnt scored this season and only 4 goals from open play in the callender year.

as for that suarez video crouch has never scored goals like he has

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17 2024, 22:50