The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Could the Arsenal board learn something from Levy? EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Could the Arsenal board learn something from Levy? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Could the Arsenal board learn something from Levy? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Could the Arsenal board learn something from Levy? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Could the Arsenal board learn something from Levy? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Could the Arsenal board learn something from Levy? EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Could the Arsenal board learn something from Levy? EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Could the Arsenal board learn something from Levy? EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Could the Arsenal board learn something from Levy? EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Could the Arsenal board learn something from Levy? Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+2
anicoll5
BazSpur
6 posters

Could the Arsenal board learn something from Levy?

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Could the Arsenal board learn something from Levy? Empty Could the Arsenal board learn something from Levy?

Post by BazSpur Thu Jul 12 2012, 23:30

From the football fancast website.

Daniel Levy did an impeccable job last season of holding onto one of his star players, while at the same time rubbishing the idea that the heavyweights would toy with Tottenham in any manner they desired. He didn’t have to do that, he could have gone down the avenue of investing heavily from the proceeds of Luka Modric’s sale. The club perhaps would have been better for it over the long term as Levy is not afraid to part with the club’s money when a good deal presents itself. However, the Tottenham chairman understandably wanted to sell Modric on his own terms and not succumb to the pressure of those in higher seats of power.

Despite Arsene Wenger’s fight to hang on to his stars at Arsenal, there really isn’t a sense that someone further up in the boardroom is setting up a defensive strategy in a way that Levy has done. There is unquestionably a real lack of youth and fight in the Arsenal boardroom, but even Ivan Gazidis has overseen more bad than good in his time at the club.

Of course, the Tottenham chairman has been in a markedly stronger position than Arsenal in recent summers; Modric’s transfer saga was not build on the foundation of an expiring contract. Rather, Arsenal have unbelievably found themselves in the same situation regarding player contracts for the third time, with a likelihood of similar problems next year.

But unlike his counterparts at the Emirates, Daniel Levy doesn’t seem to waste time with his best young stars. Kyle Walker has recently received a pay-rise following an outstanding year at right-back, taking him up to 2017, while Gareth Bale also extended his stay to 2016. In previous years we’ve seen long contracts handed out to players like Luka Modric, highlighting Levy’s urgency to avoid the problems that are a regular occurrence at Arsenal.

Gareth Bale’s contract extension last month is also another in a recent string of contract re-negotiations with the midfielder. Yes he may eventually leave the club, but Tottenham ensure that each summer is made increasingly difficult for potential buyers.

Disappointingly, Arsenal seem to have an easier time re-negotiating the contracts of less favourable members of the squad. In the past, Denilson, Emmanuel Eboue and recently Johan Djourou have had their contracts extended, while the key figures of the squad have been left to allow their deals to run down.

However, Arsenal’s lack of developments shouldn’t necessarily equate to a lack of action. The club have tried to tie down Theo Walcott and Robin van Persie over the past 12-months. But the club really are lacking in that desire to prevent the situation from blowing up in public. Levy made a quick move to tie down Kyle Walker earlier in the summer before any real interest from other clubs could be established. Not only was it a pay-rise, but the Tottenham chairman ensured that one of his greatest assets is locked into the club for many years.

Arsenal are also perhaps their own worst enemy by achieving such success with Arsene Wenger during his early years at the club, something which many of Arsenal’s current or recent players have hoped to see again. But there really is a lack of ruthlessness in the way Arsenal conduct themselves on the transfer front. Naturally, it all stems from the laid back attitude of those in the boardroom. Peter Hill-Woods’ recent quote of, “At least the club were not relegated” shows just how little ambition there is to succeed in the league.

Arsenal fans will understandably want to avoid any kind of comparison to Tottenham, but Daniel Levy is full of life and has plenty of action about him. He does want he can to ensure his club are successful and can maintain a high level in the league to attract and hold on to their best players. There seems to be very little action and desire to better themselves from the Arsenal board, specifically with regards to coming under attack from financially superior clubs.

It’s an uncomfortable position to be in whereby the players at Arsenal think they hold enough power to run the show. But somewhere you’ve got to believe that the players are afforded that level of power with their pampering and hugely inflated contracts from an early age. It gives them a belief that the club needs them, rather than the other way around.

Undoubtedly other clubs have to deal with players wanting out, but do any clubs have the consistency and the sensationalism that surrounds Arsenal and their best players wanting to leave?
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Could the Arsenal board learn something from Levy? Empty Re: Could the Arsenal board learn something from Levy?

Post by anicoll5 Fri Jul 13 2012, 00:16

The only slight problem with the suggestion is that if a footballer, at Arsenal or Spuds, decides they want to move - whether that is Modric or RvP - then there is jack sh*t the club can do about it. Levy is in no stronger or weaker position than almost any other club chairman.

The only chairman who is different is Mansour who told Tevez he could rot away rather than flog him.

I might be wrong but hasn't Modric got a four year contract with Spuds - What difference has that made to him deciding to quit the Lane ?
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Could the Arsenal board learn something from Levy? Empty Re: Could the Arsenal board learn something from Levy?

Post by djfitzo Fri Jul 13 2012, 00:37

anicoll5 wrote:The only slight problem with the suggestion is that if a footballer, at Arsenal or Spuds, decides they want to move - whether that is Modric or RvP - then there is jack sh*t the club can do about it. Levy is in no stronger or weaker position than almost any other club chairman.

The only chairman who is different is Mansour who told Tevez he could rot away rather than flog him.

I might be wrong but hasn't Modric got a four year contract with Spuds - What difference has that made to him deciding to quit the Lane ?

Like you keep saying Nic, Money.
    Thats why we will get double for little Luka then you will get for RVP.
    I think the question is, why let their contracts get dangerously close to the end?

ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Fri Jul 13 2012, 00:48

anicoll5 wrote:The only slight problem with the suggestion is that if a footballer, at Arsenal or Spuds, decides they want to move - whether that is Modric or RvP - then there is jack sh*t the club can do about it. Levy is in no stronger or weaker position than almost any other club chairman.

That old denial chestnut again Nic?

The latest quote from AVB is interesting don't you think? When asked if Modders looks likely to leave, he has said no.

Now he may well leave but it will be on our terms and to our benefit. If the deal is no good to us, he stays, last Summer proved that and Levy was only able to enforce that because of the contract.

Yep, them contracts are worthless hey?
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Fri Jul 13 2012, 01:27

Update:

Apparently we have received a significantly large bid from RM in the last 24 hours. How much I don't know, or if it has been accepted, but it's sounding as though he may well be off.

40 million at a guess? 35 possibly?

I would expect to see Moutinho arriving not too long after that, if not before so Porto don't rape us.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Fri Jul 13 2012, 01:31

ionman34 wrote:Update:

Apparently we have received a significantly large bid from RM in the last 24 hours. How much I don't know, or if it has been accepted, but it's sounding as though he may well be off.

I would expect to see Moutinho arriving not too long after that, if not before so Porto don't rape us.

Like I said before Ion mate, nice and early. The Modric situation really f**ked up our start last term.

ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Fri Jul 13 2012, 01:37

ionman34 wrote:Update:

Its coming out that the deal is all money with no RM players involved . £40 million is what's being said so if that's the case like you say , Porto will want to get as much of that as possible knowing we're flush .I can see Levy digging his heels on this one. But it would be a clear message of our intent if Levy were to have in place a replacement for Modric , be it moutinho or whoever , within a very short time frame say like 24 hours, 48 hours max .

anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Fri Jul 13 2012, 03:39

Bit of hindsight Dave - if RvP had had his usual season, that is as in seven of his eight years with us, and suffered a lengthy lay off because of injury , then we would have been mad to extend his contract last Summer.

We would have been looking to move him on anyway.

If RvP had signed a contract so what ? Ade had a long contract, Cesc had a long contract, Modric has a long contract - not worth the paper if a player wants out

As matters turn out RvP has a good season but I certainly do not recall a year ago expecting him to have the season he did - presumably nor did anyone else or they could have snapped him up for a sight less than they will pay now.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Fri Jul 13 2012, 12:55

anicoll5 wrote:Bit of hindsight Dave - if RvP had had his usual season, that is as in seven of his eight years with us, and suffered a lengthy lay off because of injury , then we would have been mad to extend his contract last Summer.

We would have been looking to move him on anyway.

If RvP had signed a contract so what ? Ade had a long contract, Cesc had a long contract, Modric has a long contract - not worth the paper if a player wants out

As matters turn out RvP has a good season but I certainly do not recall a year ago expecting him to have the season he did - presumably nor did anyone else or they could have snapped him up for a sight less than they will pay now.

I think it was in an article that Baz posted up, Nic, that showed Crystal Ken's last season as being the exception rather than the rule. Last season was his first EVER, as a professional, where he played more than 30 games in a season. You're right in that I doubt anyone, himself included, saw him getting a full season last term.
    I disagree with you saying that you would have been mad to extend his contract though. Whilst it may not prevent him WANTING to leave, it is certainly a major tool in protecting the club's interests. I think Jan Vertonghen is a prime example of this. Ajax allowed his contract to run down and, as a result, they are forced to accept a lesser amount of money for him than if he had a, say, 3 year contract remaining. I accept that, bearing in mind his injury record, RVP was more of a gamble, but just a 1 year extension could have been worth an extra 5 to 10 million to you.

At the end of the day, I believe contracts are worth more than you give them credit for, particularly long ones. Levy showed last Summer that this was the case as the deal offered by cheatski was not in the best interests of the club. Granted we look to be selling now, but if Modric only had a year remaining do you think we'd get anywhere near 40 mill for him?
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Fri Jul 13 2012, 20:27

I would say the killer issue is whether a player, and in some instances his club, actually pays any attention to the terms of their contract

Adebayor signed a nice long contract with AFC and saw his wages doubled in Summer 2009

By Summer 2010 he had forced a transfer to Citeh (and doubled his wage again)

Equally a club can sign a player's contract but if a suitably generous offer comes along then it is bye bye - ask Defoe

LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Fri Jul 13 2012, 21:41

C'mon chaps , do we really want to see arselol learning from us, let them be , they are doing a marvelous job feeding city lmao woo hoo go go arselol nose

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07 2024, 09:55