The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Do spurs ruin youngsters ? EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Do spurs ruin youngsters ? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Do spurs ruin youngsters ? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Do spurs ruin youngsters ? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Do spurs ruin youngsters ? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Do spurs ruin youngsters ? EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Do spurs ruin youngsters ? EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Do spurs ruin youngsters ? EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Do spurs ruin youngsters ? EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Do spurs ruin youngsters ? Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

4 posters

Do spurs ruin youngsters ?

Do spurs ruin youngsters ? Empty Do spurs ruin youngsters ?

Post by Guest Fri Apr 02 2010, 01:37

I have read claims on here that we "ruin youngsters " by that i suppose its meant that as we buy them up as future talents, never play them and them discard them, well lets try to put the record straight here.

Talent will always show through, if some of those players we have bought over the years have disappeared to lower clubs its because they havent showed enough improvement from the (could be budding talent) to the definite article, they havent been good enough to dislodge the first team player choice and end of story really , how many of these youngsters have gone onto be great football stars.? so that would prove that spurs have been correct in not keeping them on, and as for ruining them, well thats laughable really, as i said, how can you destroy talent ? if its there in the first place.

Then again we have those players and retain them like huddlestone, lennon and now bale, and its funny how these players havent also been ruined by spurs in their budding and learning years as all the other poor buggers were?

I once coached 14-16 year olds, we had one youngster who was a fantastic player, he outshone all the other lads so much that they were jealous of him, he later had a trial for southend united and was turned down as not good enough and the point in telling you this is that there is a massive gulf out there between so called budding talent and those that actually go on to be football stars, so i would say the percentage that come through at spurs is about correct when you look at how many football prospect players out of say ? 100 actually go on to be a success in the sport.

As for ruining young players and treating them as cattle, i am afraid the very same players do it to clubs when their name has become big enough, they hang out for millions in a contract, they go on bosman free,s, they get unsettled by bigger clubs, its the name of the game, sadly.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Do spurs ruin youngsters ? Empty Re: Do spurs ruin youngsters ?

Post by BazSpur Fri Apr 02 2010, 02:28

I once coached 14-16 year olds, we had one
    youngster who was a fantastic player, he outshone all the other lads so
    much that they were jealous of him, he later had a trial for southend
    united and was turned down as not good enough and the point in telling
    you this is that there is a massive gulf out there between so called
    budding talent and those that actually go on to be football stars

I agree totally Lew. I ran an under ten team and we had this youngster who was really special or so we thought. One of my parents knew an Arsenal scout who came and watched the boy. The scout stayed until the end of the game and walked away. Nothing ever came of it. You have to be something more special than that to get trials at a proffessional club.
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Fri Apr 02 2010, 02:31

A few Palace fans i know say the same thing, they bring up Routledge and now Bostock, saying the players are wasting their time at Spurs. But i always tell them, if the players trys hard enough and proves themselves, they will be given a chance, its upto the player at the end of the day, because Spurs are giving the player a chance to prove themselves in the premiership.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Fri Apr 02 2010, 02:37

DJSR wrote:A few Palace fans i know say the same thing, they bring up Routledge and now Bostock, saying the players are wasting their time at Spurs. But i always tell them, if the players trys hard enough and proves themselves, they will be given a chance, its upto the player at the end of the day, because Spurs are giving the player a chance to prove themselves in the premiership.

Happened with Lennon,Dawson and Huddlestone, three youngsters that are regular players for Spurs, Meeja mischief, lots of youngsters go to lots of prem clubs and dont make it.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 02 2010, 02:41

i have a friend that scouts for northampton town, lucky bleeder travels around europe watching football for a living, anyway what i am trying to say is, scouts dont look for the kids that pick the ball up on there own goal line beat 6 players and do an overhead kick into the top corner of the net, hes looking at alot of other things, playing with your head up is a big one, if he sees a kid that has a ball played to his feet and then he has to look down to make sure hes got it under control, he wont choose that lad, scouts are looking for the more technical and the kids that have that awareness about them, then theres also the physical element that comes into play, which i dont agree with, i know many a lad that been told he wont make it because he aint big enuff, so i agree with lew and baz there is a big difference in the talent levels, but too many kids turn up to trials with the wrong game plan, they think they have to take lads on at every occassion, as for yids ruinng youngsters i dont think this is true, but your managerial merry go around aint good for any development so if there is a fault its that, nothing thats been done on the training ground.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 02 2010, 04:16

Its only since harry been in charge that hudd has been made 1st choice for spurs
    under jol the kids where brought but would be left in the reserves to rot
    i dont think scouts look for players that are technicaly good. they go for big strong lads.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 02 2010, 06:13

Loughtonlegend wrote:Its only since harry been in charge that hudd has been made 1st choice for spurs
    under jol the kids where brought but would be left in the reserves to rot
    i dont think scouts look for players that are technicaly good. they go for big strong lads.

Lought ! you do talk a load of crap sometimes, honestly mate go and answer ionmans query in another post because you dont make sense.
    You have accused harry of all sorts of things, not playing your pin up adel, or your other pop star looks lad gio, and now you are extoling harry for giving hud a chance, ffs make up your mind.

Wasnt it jol that played aaron lennon from the start, and yet you are saying he let them rot in the reserves., the thing is lought.........they were in the reserves because thats how good they fecking well were at the time.

Did you ever think lought that there are more qualified people out there than yourself that decide who are good and who are not ready, or who should be sold to a club of the players own merits, and players who wouldnt do anything to improve the spurs side at all.

Sorry mate ! i know you are of my own kind on here, a true spur but i think your enthusiasm blinds you to the truth.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 02 2010, 06:44

burger777 wrote:i have a friend that scouts for northampton town, lucky bleeder travels around europe watching football for a living, anyway what i am trying to say is, scouts dont look for the kids that pick the ball up on there own goal line beat 6 players and do an overhead kick into the top corner of the net, hes looking at alot of other things, playing with your head up is a big one, if he sees a kid that has a ball played to his feet and then he has to look down to make sure hes got it under control, he wont choose that lad, scouts are looking for the more technical and the kids that have that awareness about them, then theres also the physical element that comes into play, which i dont agree with, i know many a lad that been told he wont make it because he aint big enuff, so i agree with lew and baz there is a big difference in the talent levels, but too many kids turn up to trials with the wrong game plan, they think they have to take lads on at every occassion, as for yids ruinng youngsters i dont think this is true, but your managerial merry go around aint good for any development so if there is a fault its that, nothing thats been done on the training ground.

Burgs are you trying to honestley tell us that the Cobblers pay a person to travel to Europe, paying wages and expenses, to scour the continent looking for the next Van Basten or Cantona ? I find that hard to believe of a League 2 club whose 1st team squad consists of mainly English players with a a couple of Taffs, Oirish, a Yank & a Ghanaian and whose youth set-up is centered around the local area trying to attract kids from the age of 8 . . . . . .

Post by Guest Fri Apr 02 2010, 08:19

all im saying is jol did well with lennon. but did nuffin with adel roughtledge barnard alwick reid

Post by Guest Fri Apr 02 2010, 10:11

vis picking up cheap european talent, ie croatia, slovakia is cheaper that scouting local talent, thats what gone wrong in our game.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 02 2010, 10:44

dont want to bore the subject, but whilst we are on the subject of developement, any lower club that has a rich chairman will send all ther scouts to europe to find that gem, finding the athletic,talented,hungary lad from some village in slovenia (example) and turning them into big signings is there main goal, that works out cheaper to these clubs, i no need to lie vis. he goes to all places and his brief his simple.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 02 2010, 23:01

Well Burgs it aint working for the Cobblers as they have no Balkan state players coming thro' the ranks . . . .. .

Post by Guest Fri Apr 02 2010, 23:27

i dont know if there is or not mate, but my main point is, as a nation we have lost track with devlopment, if we are looking for the cheaper options.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat Apr 03 2010, 00:06

Spot on Burgs.

Post by Guest Sat Apr 03 2010, 00:57

Loughtonlegend wrote:all im saying is jol did well with lennon. but did nuffin with adel roughtledge barnard alwick reid

Yeah sorry lought ! i know you are a spurs stalwart and want only the best for the club.
    Well barnard was sold to southend and they sold him to southampton for £150,000, it aint great money but lee did score goals at southend in his couple of years there.
    I never rated reid, lol......wasnt he the fat man when he played for us, alnwick is just a back up goalie while routledge couldnt match up to lennon so he had to be moved on, honestly lought he wasnt in lennons league.

Then we have adel, he is still contracted to us, i hope harry plays him next season and then you will see what a liability he is to a team, honestly lought, the present team is built on players working for one another, taarabt is an individual, unless he clears his head of being a god in football he will always play in the lower echelons of the game.

Last edited by lewspurs on Sat Apr 03 2010, 18:26; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Sat Apr 03 2010, 01:46

isnt that what a coach and manager is for, its what terry used to do with gazza. its what fergie did with rooney and ronaldo.
    i rekon if adel was at man u are arsenal they would make him into a star
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sat Apr 03 2010, 15:02

[quote="Loughtonlegend"]isnt that what a coach and manager is for, its what terry used to do with gazza. its what fergie did with rooney and ronaldo.

And who's to say that Harry isn't doing exactly that Lought?

If the quotes from Taarabt are to be believed, it seems to me that he needs to learn a little humility and realise that his talent needs to fit in with the team rather than the team fit around his talent.

Adel has already stated that he doesn't like the rough and tumble of the English game. Well if he has any future with us then it seems to me that Harry has sent him to QPR for a little 'Harden the fcuk up!!' time so that he is more weathered to the Prem.

It's plain to all of us that he has a huge talent. However, there have been many talented players who tried to run before they could walk and it cost them. Nicholas Anelka is a prime example. From the goons to Real Madrid to PSG, he then took a downward spiral that saw him plying his trade at Citeh, Fenerbahce and finally Bolton.
    It was at Bolton that he finally learnt that he needed to knuckle down and become a team player. Remember that I stated that we should get in there and buy him?
    Look at him now, a terrific striker with a great work ethic who plays wholeheartedly for the team. Rather than stifle his talent, Chelsea have used it to greater benefit than the odd bit of magic.

Redknapp has had more than his fair share of precocious talent pass through his hands. There are few out there who know better how to have that talent realise its potential in the shortest period of time. His track record proves that.

You want to see Taarabt now but I don't believe he is ready yet. Neither does Harry obviously. Virtually everyone else on here agrees.

Doesn't that tell you something?

One other thing to consider. Bale was dire in the early season, as was Bentley. They have been coached by Redknapp and now look quality, Bale being a contender for player of the season IMO at the mo. Pavlyuchenko is scoring for fun, Huddlestone has taken the step up that many on here thought he'd never do. Dawson is immense, as is Bassong. Even Khaboul looks a far more assured player than in his first spell.

All these improvements under Redknapp, coincidence? If you tink that then I have serious doubts about your claim to know more than an Amoeba about the beautiful game.

Harry knows how to bring on talent, some take more work than others. Some need a gentle touch, some need a rod of correction, some need no help at all.

Let him do his job Lought, he'll have forgotten more about bringing on talent than you or I will ever know.

Post by Guest Sat Apr 03 2010, 18:31

Loughtonlegend wrote:isnt that what a coach and manager is for, its what terry used to do with gazza. its what fergie did with rooney and ronaldo.

I reckon adel would have fallen foul of fergie ages ago lought ! he would have been gone, and wenger wouldnt have signed him in the first place, its wishful thinking on taarabts part to mention the likes of barcelona and real, he cant even do it at qpr. Do spurs ruin youngsters ? Lol

As ion says, if he remains patient, knuckles down to work and bides his time, takes his chance as bale has when it was there, then i reckon harry can do something with him, shouting off his mouth isnt the way forward for adel imho.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 13 2024, 02:09