The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Is Harry a good manager? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Is Harry a good manager? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Is Harry a good manager? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Is Harry a good manager? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Is Harry a good manager? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Is Harry a good manager? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Is Harry a good manager? - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Is Harry a good manager? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Is Harry a good manager? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Is Harry a good manager? - Page 2 Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

5 posters

Is Harry a good manager?

Is Harry a good manager? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Harry a good manager?

Post by Guest Sun May 09 2010, 01:58

BazSpur wrote:I can't see the point of telling us you have 24 British players in your RESERVES, so what?

The point ends up getting lost, but it's in response to the steady drip feed of 'home grown' players that we can introduce into the squad as per the new rules in the coming years.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sun May 09 2010, 01:59

So can we, so whats the point you are making?

Post by Guest Sun May 09 2010, 02:03

My thread opening post puts the point into jist Baz. It wasn't a dig at spurs in particular, it was pointing out the merits of our manager. Harry can't really claim credit for your clubs reserve & youth policy.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sun May 09 2010, 02:09

Harry can't really claim credit for your clubs
    reserve & youth policy.

And your point is?

Post by Guest Sun May 09 2010, 02:27

Is that beeping noise I can hear the sound of Mark2Spark going into reverse ???? You asked if 'arry was a good manager then went off on a rambling dirge about finances and backed it up with cotton-wool guesses about the figures involved. Even parts of Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas aren't as disjointed as your 1st post Mark. People answered your questions about both 'arry & finances . You then meander onto youth football and again post statements that are slightly off-key. You then back track and say 'yeah Spurs cash flow aint so sad', then you ask us to answer the incoherent points you've made. We have ! I ask you to answer your original point mate. Is 'arry a good manager ? I say YES . . . . .
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sun May 09 2010, 06:14

Have you been on the Wacky Baccy Mark? Is Harry a good manager? - Page 2 99038

Post by Guest Sun May 09 2010, 18:27

BazSpur wrote: Harry can't really claim credit for your clubs
    reserve & youth policy.

And your point is?

Is Harry a good manager or not?
    Whilst his coaching stands on it's own, whether his managerial skills match that are in question.
    Lets ask the Administrator at Pompey shall we?
    You can't tell me that harry is completely blameless for pompeys debts, having been a manager there all that time?
    And I'm pointing out that the same could happen to spurs.
    Not rocket science.

Post by Guest Sun May 09 2010, 18:31

VisionarySound wrote:Is that beeping noise I can hear the sound of Mark2Spark going into reverse ???? You asked if 'arry was a good manager then went off on a rambling dirge about finances and backed it up with cotton-wool guesses about the figures involved. Even parts of Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas aren't as disjointed as your 1st post Mark. People answered your questions about both 'arry & finances . You then meander onto youth football and again post statements that are slightly off-key. You then back track and say 'yeah Spurs cash flow aint so sad', then you ask us to answer the incoherent points you've made. We have ! I ask you to answer your original point mate. Is 'arry a good manager ? I say YES . . . . .

I'm just replying to points as they are made.
    It's called a thread for that reason Is Harry a good manager? - Page 2 Lol
    Spurs cash flow is ok for what you have now. It isn't enough for mega signings with mega wages to match, neither is it enough to fund a new stadium.
    Therefore you have peaked. This is as good as it gets for spurs fc. Enjoy and don't overstretch is the observation, the point.

Post by Guest Sun May 09 2010, 20:49

[quote="Mark2spark"]In another thread, this was said:

VisionarySound wrote:At the present Spurs have no recognised right back yet still we manage to beat 2 of the teams above us in the league. Good management there me thinks.

I'll certainly have to agree that the coaching during those matches was on the money, but.... funny mentioning money?

A player on £50,000 a week, on a 5 year deal, is a £12,500,000 commitment by a club over the 5 year period. Needless to say that a team full of players on similar contracts, with reserves and squad players warming the bench, brings about a committment of approaching £200 million over a 5 year period.
    £100,000 a week players like Crouch & Defoe rockets this figure even higher.
    Now, what is THFC's expected revenue stream over that same 5 year period.
    Is it £400 million?

Well you tell us mark, i hope you have researched all these figures you are quoting, and that the figures do hold some reality in your post because if not then as i said initially ! there isnt any point in responding to your thread.

I ask, because if it is not, then you will not be able to play Champions League football (assuming you qualify to) come season commencing 2012, according to the new Uefa financial rules.
    Needless to say that Chelsea would also be struggling with this. Liverpool too.
    Quite how £350 million + would also magically appear to build a new stadium with is also one for you to enrol the assistance of Paul Daniels on.
    Well obviously you should become book keeper to joe louis and daniel levy as you seem to know more about their financial running of tottenham hotspur than they do.
    FFs mark, why put in plans for a new stadium if the funds arent there in the first place ? these are billionaire owners mark, they havent got where they are by supposing they have enough money to do this and that etc etc.

Arsenal, of course, having patiently met the needs of financial constraint whilst still challenging for the top honours year in year out, would of course have no problems with Uefas new rules, nor would there be any issue meeting the 'home grown' player rules.
    With TWENTY SEVEN of our current 35 man reserve squad being English (not British) there does not appear to be a future problem either. With the release of the land earmarked for social housing having now gone through, a further approx £35 million will be available for Arsenal transfer kitty during the next 2 - 3 years. and that amount doesnt even buy you ronaldo,s left leg in this day and age so ! assuming you are still in the running for the cl during the next 2 - 3 years i would say that you wont last long with that kind of money to spend.

Now, what was we saying about a good manager?........................we were saying that harry has taken us further forward than any other manager in recent years, we are now virtually on a par with yourselves, and if wenger had any sense he would have warned his bosses that some money had to be saved for players to maintain your success rate before you built the emi-rats............as it is , your new stadium has cost you 5 years of underachievement, and virtually all your best players have been sold on to finance it........i dont think we will have that same trouble....................now what were we saying about a good manager ?
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sun May 09 2010, 20:57

Mark2spark wrote:
    BazSpur wrote: Harry can't really claim credit for your clubs
    reserve & youth policy.

And your point is?

Is Harry a good manager or not?
    Yes.
    Whilst his coaching stands on it's own, whether his managerial skills match that are in question.
    Lets ask the Administrator at Pompey shall we?
    You sound like Burger, we had all this out with him. If Harry asked the Pompey board for transfer funds and they gave them to him, how is that Harry's fault?
    You can't tell me that harry is completely blameless for pompeys debts, having been a manager there all that time?
    Yes I can. Here watch. Harry is totally blameless for Pompey's debts read above.
    And I'm pointing out that the same could happen to spurs.
    Not rocket science.

It could happen to any club just look at Manure, Liverpool, Leeds. Its the way of the football World. Now at the end of the day Mark we made 4th place and could get third although I doubt it. Isn't it funny how you are coming out with all this rubbish since we got into the CL. Tell you what mate, you worry about your club and us Yids will worry about ours. After all if we went to the wall you gooners wouldn't give a toss. We're grateful for your concern but I really wouldn't worry. Levy has been in thiis game for a long time and believe me he isn't a mug. Do you think he hasn't worked all this out himself. Plans will be afoot mate. Don't worry we will be fine.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sun May 09 2010, 21:28

Baring the fangs now eh Mark?

Doesn't take long before the true nature comes through hey?

Spurs are only just now showing their potential. A team of very young, very talented individuals who are moulding into a team that will only get betteer with time.

Peaked? We're only just starting the climb.

Our revenue stream has consistently grown larger over the years in the Prem. It has seen us steadily move up the rankings of the Worlds richest clubs. Despite your protests to the contrary, we have no debt, our stock is high and our assets are enormous, both on the field and off.

You seem to believe that Danny has fattened the club up for a quick sell, but Danny is a businessman. He's invested extensively in this club and isn't likely to see unless he can get the maximum reward back.

Like the rest of us, he knows that this is a team that is only growing into the team it will become. This team will get better and, with some astute buys, will become a force.

It will be interesting just how busy Wenger is in the Summer market. If we've 'peaked' he'll carry on regardless.
    But he's already dipping hey Mark?

So, a quality team that will only get better, on long contracts too, a strong financial position and a bigger stadium on the way with increased revenue from all quarters, greater exposure increasing the market audience ......................................

All this comes on top of the fact that the club as a whole has successfully increased its value whilst never having been present in the CL.

The club has also invested heavily in its future on the pitch. Many of those future players are out learning their trade in the lower divisions. We continually bring in quality youth and, with any that don't make the grade, we sell on at a profit.

Not much different from yourselves actually.

In summary, we expect to be in debt (what club isn't?) but expect to be able to manage it whilst we grow further. Of course regular CL will aid hugely in managing it that much faster, but the plans were in place prior to us reaching CL so they will have budgeted accordingly. A management team as canny as the Enic one would do nothing less.

We have grown as a club without the need for massive personal layout from the owner, our growth will continue.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sun May 09 2010, 21:51

Great post Ion. Have a rep point. Plus of course the state of the art Academy training ground we have built. All building for the future Mark. We will be fine mate don't worry. Is Harry a good manager? - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sun May 09 2010, 22:10

Thank you Baz.

Post by Guest Sun May 09 2010, 22:20

I'm just off to the train station, but just to say that that is a quality post ion, i'll reply later, i agree with most of it, but not the spurs being debt free bit, your books show different, also to say that everyone in the prem has had an increased revenue stream over the years due to sky putting more money in.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sun May 09 2010, 23:24

Spurs finances

Premier
    League Tottenham Hotspurby Patrick Bateman (U13792824) 18 April 2010

Is Harry a good manager? - Page 2 CommentOnThisArticleButton
    Lots of rival fans go on
    about the state of our finance, our spending, etc. So here are some
    facts you can point them at when they make these ignorant claims:

Summary:
    --------
    In
    terms of wage bill, we come out at around 60m-70m/year.
    Average
    spend is around 10m per year.
    Our revenues are the fifth highest in
    the league (120m)

So whereas our net spend is 70-80m on average,
    this does not even match Liverpool's wage bill before ANY spending.
    Forget about Arsenal, Man U or Chelsea.

We also have no net debt
    to service.

Another thing to bear in mind. When you buy a player
    for say 10-15m and he turns out to be bad, you can normally sell on and
    recoup some of that cash. If in the meantime, he's earning 5-6m a year,
    that's cash out the door that simply won't happen at Spurs. A lot of
    ours earn 1-3m per year.

Wage bills 07-08
    ----------
    Chelsea
    £172m
    Man United £121 m
    Arsenal £101m
    Liverpool £90m
    Newcastle
    £74m
    Premier League average £59m

www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...

Man
    City are now in the 125m bracket, whereas we are still in the 60-70m
    bracket.

Net spending
    ------------
    Then look at net spend
    from 92-2010. Our net spend is 11m per year.

This doesn't include
    the 8m we have paid for Sandro nor the 30m of players that I believe
    Arry will offload, so that average spend will drop for us.

That
    is less than Chelsea, Man C, Liverpool.

transferleague.co.uk/

Revenues
    --------
    www.sportspromedia.com/notes...

Spurs:
    €132.7 million.
    Chelsea €242.3 million
    Arsenal €263 million

(note
    that Arsenal's match day takings are 117m Euros - impressive and
    highlights the need for a new stadium - would generate us an extra 20m
    per year + naming rights)

We can expect higher revenues if we are
    in Europa or CL and put a decent run in. Even so, without that we
    generate £120m/year, which is WELL within our means!
    comment on this article | alert a
    moderator | send to a friend

Latest comments

Read members' comments or add your own

comment by
    SelwynSpur
    (U11786987)

posted 2 Weeks AgoNicely put! Is Harry a good manager? - Page 2 F_ok
    add comment
    |
    complain
    about this comment

comment by
    Patrick
    Bateman (U13792824)

posted 2 Weeks AgoSelwyn,
    thanks. Just borrowing one of your posts to dispute the Arry destroys
    clubs argument also. Now I can bookmark this post and send idiots here
    to have a read!

-----------------
    Regarding Harry
    Redknapp:

WEST HAM:
    - He made a net profit from transfers of
    £14.71m.
    - He left the club in 2001.
    - Since then, the club has
    had five managers, spent more than they have sold (including a net
    spending of £25m over the 2006/7 season) and the club have been sold
    twice.
    - Their debts are largely the result of mismanagement by their
    Icelandic owners (who took over in 2006), compensation from the Tevez
    affair, and their shirt sponsor going bust:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/sep/03/west-ham-financial-crisis-37m-loss

SOUTHAMPTON:
    -
    The club's building of a new stadium, well before Redknapp arrived,
    left them with a £27.5m debt.
    - He was at the club for 13 months
    -
    I believe he made only one paid-transfer in his time at the club,
    signing Nigel Quashie for £2.1m. Other deals were either loans (Henri
    Camara; Calum Davenport) or free signings of player short-term contracts
    (Jamie Redknapp; Olivier Bernard). At the same time, he sold James
    Beattie for £6m.

BOURNEMOUTH:
    - Financial problems stem from
    crowd violence that a) landed them with a whopping-great fine and b)
    meant they were banned from playing home games on Bank Holidays, which
    are a major source of income.

Other managers who have also
    arrived at 2+ clubs that later entered major financial difficulties /
    administration?

1) Tony Pulis (Bournemouth, Gillingham,
    Portsmouth)
    2) Glenn Roeder (West Ham, Gillingham, Watford, Norwich)
    3)
    Gordon Strachan (Coventry City, Southampton)
    4) Iain Dowie (Crystal
    Palace, Charlton Athletic)
    5) Peter Taylor (Leicester, Gillingham,
    Crystal Palace)
    6) Terry Venables (Spurs, Crystal Palace)
    7) Alan
    Pardew (West Ham, Charlton Athletic)
    Cool Alan Curbishley (Charlton
    Athetic, West Ham)
    9) Dave Bassett (Watford, Crystal Palace,
    Leicester, Southampton)
    add comment
    |
    complain
    about this comment

comment by
    U14237738

posted 2 Weeks AgoThere's a
    Times chart on the 2008/9 wages. Villa's wages have surged to 70m, ours
    increased to around 60m. City's will be astronomical next season.

In
    our most recent financial interim report (up to December 2009), our
    wages increased slightly since we added more players in the summer but
    total operations expenses actually decreased.
    add comment
    |
    complain
    about this comment

comment by
    SelwynSpur
    (U11786987)

posted 2 Weeks AgoNo problem! Enjoy! Is Harry a good manager? - Page 2 F_smiley
    add comment
    |
    complain
    about this comment

comment by
    divin
    dissin darren - Harry for PM (U10966690)

posted 2 Weeks AgoHow much
    do we make on the DVDs? Is Harry a good manager? - Page 2 F_smiley
    add comment
    |
    complain
    about this comment

comment by
    SelwynSpur
    (U11786987)

posted 2 Weeks AgoDDD:
    I think the DVDs are
    normally about £9.99. DVDs are pretty cheap to produce, so we can
    expect a large profit from them. No idea how many we sell.

The
    Robin van Persie action figure is £12.00, but might be a bit costlier to
    manufacture. The other downside is that it's only available for half
    the season... Is Harry a good manager? - Page 2 F_whistle

http://onlinestore.arsenal.com/invt/a3122&bklist=
    add comment
    |
    complain
    about this comment

comment by
    joe
    strummer (U5878517)

posted 2 Weeks AgoThe
    original article is correct, but one thing is that we class our players
    as intangible assets, which totals about £250m on our balance sheet.

This
    is not bad, but it does mean we don't have a credit rating. We're not
    deemed a risk like West Ham etc are though.
    add comment
    |
    complain
    about this comment

comment by
    Hooplar (U9740424)

posted 2 Weeks Ago"we class our players as
    intangible assets"

Is that because our wingers are simply
    untouchable?

Post by Guest Sun May 09 2010, 23:36

WOW Baz, rep point winging your way. That is some mighty fine research. Someting others should try before putting on the mittens and clunking at the keyboard . . . . . .. .
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon May 10 2010, 00:09

Thanks Vis Is Harry a good manager? - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
    tressman1
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Post by tressman1 Mon May 10 2010, 00:11

Is Harry a good manager? - Page 2 Lol Is Harry a good manager? - Page 2 523963 Baz you won, too easy
    tressman1
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Post by tressman1 Mon May 10 2010, 00:12

Is Harry a good manager? - Page 2 Lol Is Harry a good manager? - Page 2 523963 Baz you won, too easy

Post by Guest Mon May 10 2010, 09:26

Who is Patrick Bateman then?
    He's very clever if he can make the gross debt of some £80 mill (net debt 45.9 mill) as per detail in the interim report of December 2009 disappear.
    Perhaps he has 'magic' mittens that he uses to thump away on a keyboard with?
    With all the 'add your comments' looks like an internet blog.
    Anyone ready for the link to the interim report? Or are you all able to do your own 'mighty fine research?'
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon May 10 2010, 09:35

Mawaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Thing is Mark its like opinion polls, you can make anything you like out of facts and figures. You can make it look good or you can make it look bad. Do whatever you have to do mate. At the end of the day we are still here in 4th place. Is Harry a good manager? - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Post by Guest Mon May 10 2010, 09:40

Well done on top 4 Baz.

I only started this thread cos it deserved it's own thread, and not take over the thread where I lifted the snippet from Viz from.

There's bones to pick from any report I suppose, plenty of ammo in the interim report, but I think ion's post probably deserves to let the thread rest from here.

My source of info for anyone interested:
    http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2010/03/are-tottenhams-results-too-good-to-be.html
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon May 10 2010, 11:18

Must be written by a gooner lolol. Like I said you can make anything out of figures. Sniff, sniff can you smell that Mark? Smells like bull sh*t to me.

Post by Guest Tue May 11 2010, 08:50

Yes, you (I mean people in general) can 'make' anything if you are minded to twist things, but either spurs have a serviceable debt at a fixed rate until 2024 or they don't.
    Which one is it?

Either they declared an operating loss in the December 09 interim report or they didn't.

Same question?

But I doubt that any club is minded to particularly tell the truth if it looks a bit like causing a problem. Bit like AW declaring for a few years that transfer funds are available if required.

Post by Guest Tue May 11 2010, 09:10

Forbes list and debt in general puts the a*se several places below Spurs Mark. Go have a look at it. Scary for the so called 'Sky4' . . .. . . ...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 03 2024, 18:48