The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Joe Cole saga latest........ EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Joe Cole saga latest........ EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Joe Cole saga latest........ EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Joe Cole saga latest........ EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Joe Cole saga latest........ EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Joe Cole saga latest........ EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Joe Cole saga latest........ EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Joe Cole saga latest........ EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Joe Cole saga latest........ EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Joe Cole saga latest........ Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+3
spurslegend
BazSpur
HotspurRoper
7 posters

Joe Cole saga latest........

HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Joe Cole saga latest........ Empty Joe Cole saga latest........

Post by HotspurRoper Sun Jul 04 2010, 22:39

........ is that Redknapp admits to Sky Sports News that the club has held talks with Cole and says it wont be easy but we've got a good as chance any body else at landing Cole!!!
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Joe Cole saga latest........ Empty Re: Joe Cole saga latest........

Post by BazSpur Sun Jul 04 2010, 23:21

Why go to all that fcuking bother. He will upset the rest by his sky high wage demands. He hasn't been that good of late anyway. Why does Harry persist in chasing a has been?

Post by Guest Sun Jul 04 2010, 23:39

im with you on this one. why break our wage structure on him. wheres he guna play him. we have modric on the left and lennon on the right and hes sayin hes guna give santos a chance so i duno where we guna fit cole in.
    i would rather us give santos a chance. hes younger quicker and more skill. he just needs to work on hes finnishen then he wil become a great player. harry shouldnt play santos out wide and wait for the ball players like him need to be given the ball.
    i dont want cole but it looks like its going to happen

Post by Guest Mon Jul 05 2010, 00:06

I dont want him either, We dont need him, let the fecking gooner mugs have him!

Post by Guest Mon Jul 05 2010, 03:38

found this from chelsea forum
    Cole returned from injury in the league cup game against QPR on 23 September.
    He was given a further month to build up his strength.
    On 24th October he started for us against Blackburn.
    Between that date and 30th January Chelsea played 21 times. Joe Cole started 14 of these.
    It seems that Carlo took slightly longer than 20 minutes to make up his mind
    Joe was given a chance and he was awful

Anyone else remember the Cardiff game? Was that the worst performance ever by a Chelsea player?

Goons and Mancs say we've made a massive mistake letting him go

Chelsea fans know we were right to see him go
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Jul 05 2010, 05:44

Don't want him, never have wanted him no matter what Burger says.
    spurslegend
    spurslegend
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by spurslegend Mon Jul 05 2010, 08:20

i want him top player and if we are gonna start mixing it with the likes of chelscum the red mancs and the scum this is the type of players we need to be signing to take uo to the next level imo
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Jul 05 2010, 09:12

OK lets just say Cole comes to us. The team will be re-arranged. Palacious or Sandro with Cole? Which means the Hud loses out as Cole states he wants to play more than he sits on bench. Modric plays left wing, Lennon on right. Bale plays left back BAE out.

Post by Guest Mon Jul 05 2010, 10:14

but hes not been a top player for ages. hes had big injurie problems in the last 2 seasons. he couldnt get in the chelsea team. would you drop lennon or modric for him. is he really worth breakin our wage structure for.
    he wants at least 100k a week
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Jul 05 2010, 10:34

No, no, no.
    MarkA249
    MarkA249
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by MarkA249 Mon Jul 05 2010, 17:58

Right people on here r saying they dont want him where is he going to play we got wilson here modric there lennon there think about the bigger picture. We have the league the league cup the fa cup either champions league or euro league to play in we going to need a bigger squad Man Utd have good players on the bench Cheski and so do the Gunners when they r all fit and so will Man city plus u have to have so many british players in your squad this season and Mr J. Cole is english and quite experenced. Look at last season when the Hudd or Wilson got injured we was a bit light Jenas or J Cole i know who i would choose. People r saying Sandro he does not join till mid August he will need a rest from playing Brazilian football which is like Russia and to get used to the Premier League. JUST THINK OF THE BIGGER PICTURE GUYS

Post by Guest Tue Jul 06 2010, 00:41

he wont play cole in the middle. it will be either left wing or right wing. will cole come nowin hes 2nd choice to lennon on the right and modric on the left
    spurslegend
    spurslegend
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by spurslegend Tue Jul 06 2010, 02:51

GOMES
    RICHARDS DAWSON KING BALE
    PALACIOS SANDRO
    MODRIC
    LENNON DEFOE COLE

4-3-3

Post by Guest Tue Jul 06 2010, 05:00

yay drop crouch lol unless superpav stays then lol

Post by Guest Tue Jul 06 2010, 06:03

That's a nice looking line-up Legend. I see it as more of a 4-2-1-3. Cover for the full-backs, a roaming attacking midfielder and more than enough pace up front to scare most defences. I wonder about Ledley but we do have an able replacement in Bassong; & will we get Richards ? Corluka is a bit too slow for this formation so we would deffo need a pacy right-back. How about Alves from Barca' ? LOL just bimagine the static back 4's of Chelski et al trying to deal with that line-up ? Nice . . . . . . . . .

Just a quick edit. I forgot to add that I would play Thudd and drop either Palicious or the untested Sandros depending on who we are playing. Thudd has all the capabilities to become a truely awesome holding midfielder . . . . .. .

Last edited by VisionarySound on Tue Jul 06 2010, 06:23; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Thudd)
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Tue Jul 06 2010, 06:27

I think if Harry signs him, Cole will need to expect a cut in wages.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Tue Jul 06 2010, 10:29

[quote="VisionarySound"]That's a nice looking line-up Legend. I see it as more of a 4-2-1-3. Cover for the full-backs, a roaming attacking midfielder and more than enough pace up front to scare most defences. I wonder about Ledley but we do have an able replacement in Bassong; & will we get Richards ? Corluka is a bit too slow for this formation so we would deffo need a pacy right-back. How about Alves from Barca' ? LOL just bimagine the static back 4's of Chelski et al trying to deal with that line-up ? Nice . . . . . . . . .

Just a quick edit. I forgot to add that I would play Thudd and drop either Palicious or the untested Sandros depending on who we are playing. Thudd has all the capabilities to become a truely awesome holding midfielder . . . . .. .

Bang on Vis. I can't see The Hudd being dropped as he's been excellent and I'd still keep Modric alongside him as they have proven that they can control a midfield. Cole loves to get forward, running at centre halves and playing him in the hole makes marking him effectively almost impossible.

Play this way then we'd have an attacking line up of Defoe, Cole, Modric, Lennon and Bale with Ekotto and Khaboul marauding on occasion and The Hudd weighing in. We also have a wonderful opportunity to revert to alternate plans should this not work with Pav or Crouch available, Wilson or Sandro and even Gio or Taarabt.

We'd end up with one of the most attacking line ups in the league using players that we all know can put in a stint defensively too, that includes Cole.

Talk about an exciting line up.

Now all we need is to find out that Wesley Sneijder, like Bergkamp, was a Yid fan and will come to us like a shot ...................................
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Tue Jul 06 2010, 11:04

Defoe, Cole, Modric, Lennon and Bale with
    Ekotto and Khaboul

Bloody hell Ion. All we need then is Ossie in charge and we are well away. Attack, attack, attack, attack, attack.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Tue Jul 06 2010, 12:17

[quote="BazSpur"] Defoe, Cole, Modric, Lennon and Bale with
    Ekotto and Khaboul

[b]Bloody hell Ion. All we need then is Ossie in charge and we are well away. Attack, attack, attack, attack, attack.

That's my point mate, look at the attacking ability and flair there, then consider how well each of these players carries out their defensive duties. Even Lennon knows how to track back and get his foot in.

All of them are young, have bags of energy and ability at both ends of the pitch. The more you consider it the more you can see that this is, potentially, one of the best midfield 'units' around. Let's not also forget that both Wilson and Sandro have good credentials going forward too.

There's a hell of a lot of goals in that midfield which will aid in bringing the best out of Defoe as the pressure will be off him to win games.

Citeh can outspend all they want, all we need is the odd tweak really as this team is virtually the finished article and they're all real young, well mostly.

Keep them all together so that they understand each others game completely and I truly believe that we'll be Champions very soon.

Post by Guest Tue Jul 06 2010, 16:20

[quote="ionman34"]
    VisionarySound wrote:That's a nice looking line-up Legend. I see it as more of a 4-2-1-3. Cover for the full-backs, a roaming attacking midfielder and more than enough pace up front to scare most defences. I wonder about Ledley but we do have an able replacement in Bassong; & will we get Richards ? Corluka is a bit too slow for this formation so we would deffo need a pacy right-back. How about Alves from Barca' ? LOL just bimagine the static back 4's of Chelski et al trying to deal with that line-up ? Nice . . . . . . . . .

Bang on Vis. I can't see The Hudd being dropped as he's been excellent and I'd still keep Modric alongside him as they have proven that they can control a midfield. Cole loves to get forward, running at centre halves and playing him in the hole makes marking him effectively almost impossible.

Play this way then we'd have an attacking line up of Defoe, Cole, Modric, Lennon and Bale with Ekotto and Khaboul marauding on occasion and The Hudd weighing in. We also have a wonderful opportunity to revert to alternate plans should this not work with Pav or Crouch available, Wilson or Sandro and even Gio or Taarabt.

We'd end up with one of the most attacking line ups in the league using players that we all know can put in a stint defensively too, that includes Cole.

Now all we need is to find out that Wesley Sneijder, like Bergkamp, was a Yid fan and will come to us like a shot ...................................

Ion ! i am surprised to see such a statement from yourself because i have always thought of you as a realist.
    Every year since i have been on here and the old aol board we have a pre-season ramble off into dreamland, i remember the four riders of the apocolypse and how we would be unbeatable that season, (ramos,s term) look what happened then.
    Its ok to fantasise that this player and that player will make us unbeatable but at the same time it just leads to disappointments when it doesnt actually happen ...........what looks good on paper fades away into oblivion when reality sets in and the players are out there for real.
    I dont want to be a killjoy here ! i just want us to take things step by step, harry has improved us big time but we wont be unbeatable just because of the addition of cole or anyone else, i look forward to the season starting but i am a realist , we still have miles to make up on man utd and chelsea, and put city in the mix with the goons and it will be a long hard slog of a season with the usual injuries happening along the way............lets just hope that for once it all goes to plan.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Tue Jul 06 2010, 17:03

[quote="lewspurs"][quote="ionman34"]
    VisionarySound wrote:That's a nice looking line-up Legend. I see it as more of a 4-2-1-3. Cover for the full-backs, a roaming attacking midfielder and more than enough pace up front to scare most defences. I wonder about Ledley but we do have an able replacement in Bassong; & will we get Richards ? Corluka is a bit too slow for this formation so we would deffo need a pacy right-back. How about Alves from Barca' ? LOL just bimagine the static back 4's of Chelski et al trying to deal with that line-up ? Nice . . . . . . . . .

Ion ! i am surprised to see such a statement from yourself because i have always thought of you as a realist.
    Every year since i have been on here and the old aol board we have a pre-season ramble off into dreamland, i remember the four riders of the apocolypse and how we would be unbeatable that season, (ramos,s term) look what happened then.
    Its ok to fantasise that this player and that player will make us unbeatable but at the same time it just leads to disappointments when it doesnt actually happen ...........what looks good on paper fades away into oblivion when reality sets in and the players are out there for real.
    I dont want to be a killjoy here ! i just want us to take things step by step, harry has improved us big time but we wont be unbeatable just because of the addition of cole or anyone else, i look forward to the season starting but i am a realist , we still have miles to make up on man utd and chelsea, and put city in the mix with the goons and it will be a long hard slog of a season with the usual injuries happening along the way............lets just hope that for once it all goes to plan.

I've read my post over a few times now and Nope, still can't see where I've stated that we're unbeatable.

Be a good chap and show me would you? Joe Cole saga latest........ Lol

I make it one of the most attacking midfields in the Country in the formation as stated. Just where is the Fantasy in it Lew? Just where am I being unrealistic?

With maturity, the team we currently have, with a few tweaks here and there, will be good enough to win the Premiership. I've never once stated that in over 30 years of following Tottenham, even when Burkinshaw held the reins, because I didn't think we WERE good enough.

I most certainly think we are now.

By all means hold on to your pessimism Lew, if you expect the worst then everything else is a bonus.

I don't want to any more though because I think we will be a realistic challenger very very shortly.

Post by Guest Tue Jul 06 2010, 19:08

[quote="ionman34"][quote="lewspurs"]
    ionman34 wrote:

I've read my post over a few times now and Nope, still can't see where I've stated that we're unbeatable.

I make it one of the most attacking midfields in the Country in the formation as stated. Just where is the Fantasy in it Lew? Just where am I being unrealistic?

With maturity, the team we currently have, with a few tweaks here and there, will be good enough to win the Premiership. I've never once stated that in over 30 years of following Tottenham, even when Burkinshaw held the reins, because I didn't think we WERE good enough.

By all means hold on to your pessimism Lew, if you expect the worst then everything else is a bonus.

I don't want to any more though because I think we will be a realistic challenger very very shortly.

True you didnt say unbeatable, it was the bit about marking cole (if we get him) that i was mulling over.

Ion ! theres nothing wrong with speculating ! but i have been guilty of this very thing and now have the experience to know that what looks good on paper can fall flat when the real thing appears on the playing field.

I am not trying to be a killjoy or erring on the side of pessimism, its just having been there and worn the tee-shirt if you know what i mean.

My pre-season thoughts are mainly with getting a right back in better than corluka and a centre back because of kings and woodgates injury record, daws and bassong are fine but you need cover, and then we need a goal poacher of the greaves or lineker ilk, defoe is a great little player but you need a goal sniffer, someone in the right place at the right time like greaves used to be, simple tap in merchant, pav is good but went off the boil near the season end and i wonder (for all my bleating for harry to play him last term ) if he is really good enough.?

I dont know whether defenders are getting harder to beat but we just dont seem to score simple tap in goals anymore the way greaves use to get them so i suppose this part of my hoping for----------might be hard to achieve for any club.

My message really is "lets not get carried away " the imagination can run riot when certain players are signed, as i said i have been a spurs fan since 1967 and have been there so many times to learn to hold a bit in reserve when it comes to giving the imagination full rein.............having said all that ! if we signed mueller, klose, and a couple of others ! well ! Joe Cole saga latest........ Lol dreams.....who would have them.?
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Tue Jul 06 2010, 19:44

[quote="lewspurs"][quote="ionman34"][quote="lewspurs"]
    ionman34 wrote:

True you didnt say unbeatable, it was the bit about marking cole (if we get him) that i was mulling over.

I know mate, I was just having a giggle. In all honesty I don't really believe that Cole has been used to his strengths since he left the Spam. For me, isolating him out on a flank is reducing his impact. Play him ahead of the pack and he'll open up defences as that position is almost impossible to police and will allow him to bring Defoe and the remainder of the midfield into play.

I think that he will add yet another attacking dimension to our game.

Ion ! theres nothing wrong with speculating ! but i have been guilty of this very thing and now have the experience to know that what looks good on paper can fall flat when the real thing appears on the playing field.

But we've already seen just how good the team is in reality Lew and we all know that they have a while yet before they really peak. 2 to 3 buys I think is more than sufficient, Cole being one of them.

I am not trying to be a killjoy or erring on the side of pessimism, its just having been there and worn the tee-shirt if you know what i mean.

You're preaching to the Choir Lew, I know exactly what you mean. This time though, I don't have that feeling of trepidation. I see an outstanding squad with many years ahead of it. I see pit falls but, overall, I see a squad that will win us the Prem eventually.

Can't help myself, this is the best squad I've EVER seen in the Lillywhite and I see few, if any, squads out there that are better.

My pre-season thoughts are mainly with getting a right back in better than corluka and a centre back because of kings and woodgates injury record, daws and bassong are fine but you need cover,

Another right back could well be a good shout Lew, although Khaboul could really make the position his own if he takes a real good crack at it. He's also good cover at CH, as is Corluka. Let us not forget the young'un as well.

and then we need a goal poacher of the greaves or lineker ilk, defoe is a great little player but you need a goal sniffer, someone in the right place at the right time like greaves used to be, simple tap in merchant, pav is good but went off the boil near the season end and i wonder (for all my bleating for harry to play him last term ) if he is really good enough.?

He's a goal scorer when his touch is there but when off the boil can be a bit of a liability. I hope he stays as I think we will see the best of him if he decides to stay and knuckle down for the long haul.

As for the goal poacher, a while ago I may well have agreed with you but I'm not so sure now. The most free scoring teams out there don't really have these poachers. Chelsea certainly don't, neither do Utd and the goons only really have Crystal Ken who keeps shattering every 4th week.

What these teams DO have is free scoring midfielders. Flabbyass for the goons, Fat Fwank for the Chavs, Utd used to score all across their midfield but this season haven't really and I think that has cost them the title. They've relied heavily on Rooney and he's been let down a bit by his midfield and strike partners.

A goal poacher may be a good addition but I don't see it as a necessity, particularly if the midfield weigh in with a few.

I dont know whether defenders are getting harder to beat but we just dont seem to score simple tap in goals anymore the way greaves use to get them so i suppose this part of my hoping for----------might be hard to achieve for any club.

Agreed.

My message really is "lets not get carried away " the imagination can run riot when certain players are signed, as i said i have been a spurs fan since 1967 and have been there so many times to learn to hold a bit in reserve when it comes to giving the imagination full rein.............having said all that ! if we signed mueller, klose, and a couple of others ! well ! Joe Cole saga latest........ Lol dreams.....who would have them.?

On the whole Lew, I don't see that we have to let our imagination run anywhere. The majority of what we need is already here with plenty in reserve. This squad is still early in its development and yet, finished 4th and broke a monopoly that has been around for Donkeys.

We know there's more in the locker so I don't feel that I'm going overboard.

I don't expect to win the Prem this coming season but I do expect to see us winning it soon.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Tue Jul 06 2010, 20:35

I was reading through your post Ion and I especially love yout optimism mate. As Lew says we have had so many false Dawns that it seems the sun never rises fully over WHL for us. We have been the nearly team so many times. Nearly relegated what was it 3 times in recent years? Nearly got 4th spot twice. So I understand what Lew is saying and I must admit I am a pessimist at heart. Having said all that though there is something about this team that seems to be different.Truthfully, how many on here gave us a prayer in our Month of death games in April? I didn't but we were resolute and did what we had to do and the last but one game AT City was little short of phenomenal. If you add to that all the silly games we drew or lost we really could have been up there challenging for top spot. Had we won those silly games, who knows where we would have been. I have changed my mind about Harry. He has taken us to the next level. Who says he can't win us the Prem at some point in the near future? Time will tell of course but I must admit I go into this coming season with far more optimism and expectation than I have for years. The "computer" has been kind to us in the fixtures and our first month could see us in top spot as the games apart from City are not too bad. Keep feeding us your optimism Ion it certainly makes my pessimistic side take time out to think. Joe Cole saga latest........ Icon_biggrin
    tressman1
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Post by tressman1 Tue Jul 06 2010, 21:04

Blind faith one day he will be right it just a matter of maths!!!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03 2024, 11:44