The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY (Aug12) EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY (Aug12) EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY (Aug12) EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY (Aug12) EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY (Aug12) EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY (Aug12) EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY (Aug12) EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY (Aug12) EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY (Aug12) EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY (Aug12) Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

2 posters

ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY (Aug12)

ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY (Aug12) Empty ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY (Aug12)

Post by Guest Thu Aug 12 2010, 22:08

On This Day In Spurs History: 12th August

1961 – On this day in 1961, League and FA Cup holders Spurs won the Charity Shield with a 3-2 win over an FA XI, that included the likes of Bobby Robson, Johnny Haynes and Bobby Charlton. Tottenham’s goals were scored by Les Allen (2) and Bobby Smith.

1967 – Spurs were also in Charity Shield action in 1967, where they drew 3-3 with Manchester United. The game is best remembered for the fact that Pat Jennings scored via a massive goal kick. Tottenham’s other goals were scored by Jimmy Greaves and Frank Saul.

ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY (Aug12) Empty Re: ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY (Aug12)

Post by Guest Fri Aug 13 2010, 06:21

MAXIMUS wrote:On This Day In Spurs History: 12th August

1961 – On this day in 1961, League and FA Cup holders Spurs won the Charity Shield with a 3-2 win over an FA XI, that included the likes of Bobby Robson, Johnny Haynes and Bobby Charlton. Tottenham’s goals were scored by Les Allen (2) and Bobby Smith.

1967 – Spurs were also in Charity Shield action in 1967, where they drew 3-3 with Manchester United. The game is best remembered for the fact that Pat Jennings scored via a massive goal kick. Tottenham’s other goals were scored by Jimmy Greaves and Frank Saul.

Bit before my time the first event but i remember the jennings goal as if it were yesterday....brilliant. ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY (Aug12) Icon_cheers
    MarkA249
    MarkA249
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by MarkA249 Fri Aug 13 2010, 17:24

and in 1981 i was born ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY (Aug12) Lol
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Sat Aug 14 2010, 02:19

Unfortunately I was there on both occasions. I say unfortunately because it was so long ago it makes me realise how old I am. But they were great times and we were feared when ever and who ever we played. Bobby Smith who you mentioned was a great scorer of goals but wouldn't be allowed to get away today with some of the things he did then. He was strong tough and took no prisoners.Those were the days when it was a "mans game" and you were actually allowed to tackle, front, back, sideways, even allowed to barge the keeper which Bobby did on numerous occasions and scored and had it allowed.

It is a different game today. Different values, different attitudes. You never saw a player trying to get another sent off by telling the ref that he should and applauding when he did. He would have had his own players having a go at him, but it wouldn't have happened.

There's a lot more going on today and it is still exciting and faster and probably more skillfull but I did enjoy those old days down the lane with 70,000 crowds and every season we expected to win something.

Maybe, just maybe they could be coming back again?

Mikey M

Post by Guest Sat Aug 14 2010, 07:54

Top post Mikey. I'm old fashioned meself and hope that sportsmanship, a sense of fairness & a will to win for YOUR club creeps it's way back into the game again . . . . . . .
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Sat Aug 14 2010, 08:26

Well said Vis but I don't believe it will happen until the game goes bust and there is no big money left in it anymore and players will want to play for the love of it and their club.
    It will happen but not until the Sheiks, the China mafia and the Russians get bored and realise they are only loseing money every year and walk away.
    I mean look at what City have offered Ibrahimavic, £96 million or as Sky said tonight £500,000 a WEEK!!!! No wonder the WC this year was the worst ever for quality, the players couldn't give a fcuk because the game doesn't mean anything to them.
    The most successful clubs in Europe are the ones with the biggest debt. Barca, R Madrid, Inter, AC, Man U, L'Pool, Chelsea. They surely can't carry it for ever. There is a world recession on and banks will call in the loans eventually, then lets see what happens.

Our club hasn't got that kind of debt thank goodness and I don't believe Levy or the board will let it happen. Thats why Harry will have to sell over the next couple of weeks to be able to buy or work with what we have but I do think there is some weeling dealing going on at the moment.

Mikey M

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19 2024, 23:06