The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
The Biggest Game In Our History™...Ever.  EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
The Biggest Game In Our History™...Ever.  EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
The Biggest Game In Our History™...Ever.  EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
The Biggest Game In Our History™...Ever.  EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
The Biggest Game In Our History™...Ever.  EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
The Biggest Game In Our History™...Ever.  EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
The Biggest Game In Our History™...Ever.  EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
The Biggest Game In Our History™...Ever.  EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
The Biggest Game In Our History™...Ever.  EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

The Biggest Game In Our History™...Ever.  Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

4 posters

The Biggest Game In Our History™...Ever.

The Biggest Game In Our History™...Ever.  Empty The Biggest Game In Our History™...Ever.

Post by Guest Mon Aug 23 2010, 23:34

Champions League edition

Having missed the first leg when it was shown live, and then having to sit through the full coverage knowing the gory details of our Keystone indiscretion, well…it was far from being anywhere near an enjoyable 90 minutes. I sat uncomfortably, shifting around unable to stop myself from endless disapproving nodding of the head, gasping, tirades of swearing interspersed with the word 'unbelievable'. There was more face palming than Jean Luc Picard would do on a day that would have the Borg attack Federation outposts whilst Data experienced an identity crisis and the holo-decks malfunctioned. Again.

The opening 30 minutes were very much akin to the French film Irréversible, directed by Gaspar Noé. You know the one. Some of the most uneasy viewing you could possibly ever imagine having to endure. A tormenting battering and brutal penetration leaving a dejected body, physically and mentally destroyed on the ground. And that was just the football and Michael Dawson. Don't even get me started on the film and that scene in the underpass.

But unlike Monica Bellucci's character, we are not left for dead beyond recognition (can this blog post get any more bad taste? Yes it can, hold tight). We have been embarrassed, almost humiliated. It could have been far worse, but it wasn't, and 3-2 may as well be 1-0 to them, except it isn't because we have two away goals, so the advantage is with us. It has to be with us. How could we possibly not score at the Lane? Unless we get served up a lasagne the night before, hand delivered from the Marriott Hotel by David Dein. There is simply no excuse for anything less than a convincing victory and safe passage through to the gold-paved roads of the group stages.

Perhaps in the first game we underestimated the task ahead. I know many of us did when we heard the draw. It was the best draw we could have hoped for, but not anywhere near as easy as it looked on paper. But then, that's naivety on our part. I mean, it’s a team from Switzerland, no? How could they handle a 100mph EPL club? Handle them well they did. Artificial pitch? Yes it did have a slight influence on the game, the way the ball zinged and pinged around and the way our players failed to take to it. Wasn't so much a subconscious lapse because you could visibly see them panic and freeze. Our defenders slowed down to a snails pace whilst YB cut through us like a hot axe through a cockerel made entirely of butter. I guess we were unprepared, which is scandalous considering what's at stake, but it's happened and can never be changed, so redemption is with making sure it doesn't happen again.

The more you look back the more disparaged you will feel about our initial inability to cope with the occasion. It was a choke. A combination of Harry's Henirich manoeuvre, a couple of wasteful finishes by the hosts and Pav's scorcher saving the day.

And so onwards we go into the do or die game at the Lane. Lessons learnt. The biggest game in our history, ever. Failure would mean a distinct lack of DVD releases. No 'Barcelona 0 Spurs 1' diamond encrusted club shop exclusive. No special edition Opus with it's extra glossy CL chapter with players bum-slapping each other in the changing rooms whilst Bentley and JJ dunk Harry in the bath. No doubt, over in East London, the streets will be packed with people eating and drinking like it was the Coronation all over again, another glorious chapter in their history written, statues built etc etc. Sky Sports News would probably petition to have the day extended from twenty-four hours to forty-eight so they can enjoy running the same headline long into the night.

Screw all this.

COYS. To dare is to do stuff. Positive stuff. It's no exaggeration to say that simply being there, in the groups, will be monumental in terms of stature. Sure, it might turn out to be a seasons worth of adventures, but it's one I want to experience. To push on, the players need to want it just as much. No sympathetic apologetic dejection thank you very much. Leave all that boxed up sitting next to the Ark of the Covenant in some warehouse somewhere.

But this Spurs side doesn't dwell in the past. Harry has instilled an ethic that does not disappoint when our backs are up against it.

Let's get the potential injuries out the way first. Modric, dos Santos, Pav, Keane - all apparently no-go's. King should return and apparently so will Defoe. I have a feeling (I hope) the injury plight is not half as bad as it looks, Harry mind games, with our players rested rather than risked away to Stoke.

There's also question marks surrounding our lack of goals from forwards. But the season is but two games old. And even if we do have one or two key players missing, we have enough quality, on grass, at home, to do to the Young Boys what they did to us.

They are smart, they might consider defending in numbers and counter-attacking. Frustrate us much like one or two managed last season. But do they have the class and belief to handle life outside of their plastic fantastic? The longer the game goes on with no goal then the more it will play on our minds, on the pitch and in the stands. This won't be easy. But then again the sheer noise the home faithful will make on the return of a glory glory night at the Lane, I can't think of anything better to settle the nerves of the players. YB have travelled to Turkey and won, so they won't be scared of the hallelujahs and drumming.

This is what it's all about. These types of pressures, expectations. Get use to it. The players should be loving the adrenalin rush. There's no hiding place. There is, but it's not an option. You either want it and go out and get it or you simply disappear into a dark corner and shake uncontrollably till you pass out. Everyone who isn't Lilywhite will want us to lose, more than ever. Embrace the hate. It means we're doing something right.

Early goal. An early goal will be perfect. I don't actually think they'll going to sit back, so I can't imagine them defending for 90 minutes. I reckon they will try to seek out an away goal positively knowing that if they succeed the game will open up for them because the pressure will be on us to try and claw something back. Which will leave them to be even more adventurous. If they do defend, then patience is key.

But worrying about the opposition is a wasteful exercise. Worrying about all the various possible scenarios that might play out is equally wasteful. When Monica Bellucci is confronted in the underpass, how different things would have been had she pulled out a gun from her handbag and shot the bas*ard in the face.

See, we might have been caught short on their patch. But on home territory, under the floodlights, we'll be gripping firearms like bloodthirsty assassins, firing bullets, ripping flesh off the bone till all that’s left is dog food.

Harry made some astute changes in the first game. This time round, we'll be as full strength as selection will allow us. Meaning Huddlestone will start. King will bring some much required calm at the back. Then there's the Kraken. No turning to stone for young Gareth. Bale, the beast, the stud, the Dark Knight, the best left-sided left-winger in the country (What? Yes, I did just say that, f**k you if you don't agree).

It's time to step up again. It's the life we have chosen for ourselves. Step up and cut through them like a hot knife through Swiss chocolate. A white hot knife, in a room with the air con off and radiators on full whack. In fact, the chocolate is in the oven when the knife does the damage. I want to swim in their chocolate blood.

We have the opportunity to be a part of the elite and kick the ball around in their playground. I don't care about ifs and buts about us being out of our depth if we get there. What a load of boll*cks. I want this more than I want Jessica Alba tied and gagged in my basement.

Get at them. Get at them the way we got at Man City, and get at them some more by finding the target, with no remorse. We've had far more tricky games recently. Far bigger tests of our guile and mentality. We didn't choke. I don't expect us to choke on Wednesday. I expect us to unzip and make them choke on us. Young Boys of Bern. We're going to hurt you. We're going to come from behind and beat you, beat you bad.

Ooh. Kenneth Williams would be proud.

COYFS. To dare is to f**king do.

www.dearmrlevy.com

ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

The Biggest Game In Our History™...Ever.  Empty Re: The Biggest Game In Our History™...Ever.

Post by ionman34 Mon Aug 23 2010, 23:57

fcuking brilliant! I pi**ed myself laughing at that!

'I want to swim in their chocolate blood!!!'

What a Classic line.
    lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao lmao
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

The Biggest Game In Our History™...Ever.  Empty Re: The Biggest Game In Our History™...Ever.

Post by DJSR Tue Aug 24 2010, 00:17

Brilliant report!

I particularly enjoyed this line > "I want this more than I want Jessica Alba tied and gagged in my basement." lol!
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Tue Aug 24 2010, 00:55

I loved this line. PMSL
    This time round, we'll be as full strength as selection will allow us.
    Meaning Huddlestone will start. King will bring some much required calm
    at the back. Then there's the Kraken. No turning to stone for young
    Gareth. Bale, the beast, the stud, the Dark Knight, the best left-sided
    left-winger in the country (What? Yes, I did just say that, f**k you if
    you don't agree).

Brilliant Max Repped again. Gareth Bale the Kraken lol. Kraken a fearsome sea monster lol.
    thfc4us
    thfc4us
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Post by thfc4us Wed Aug 25 2010, 12:21

good read fellas Smile
    i just want them to fcuking win ok lol! nerve wracking stuff but i kno my boys can do this !!!! we are HERE....take note...spurs have finally....arrived Smile
    COYS !!!!!!!!
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed Aug 25 2010, 20:48

Hiya Brit, nice to see you post.

Post by Guest Wed Aug 25 2010, 21:20

it is nerve wracking stuff this, i have so many planned posts if u lose and if u win my pc will break down till after weekend. either way its all good. seriously tho i think the game will be over by half time, all them baldies roaring in the crowd may be a bit too much for the mighty young boys of switzerland, who are they anyway i have never heard of em. lol

Post by Guest Wed Aug 25 2010, 23:09

burger777 wrote:it is nerve wracking stuff this, i have so many planned posts if u lose and if u win my pc will break down till after weekend. either way its all good. seriously tho i think the game will be over by half time, all them baldies roaring in the crowd may be a bit too much for the mighty young boys of switzerland, who are they anyway i have never heard of em. lol

According to you Burgs the Macclesfield of Switzerland . . . . . . The Biggest Game In Our History™...Ever.  348204

Post by Guest Thu Aug 26 2010, 02:08

i may have to watch that film

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07 2024, 04:08