The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
raw deal EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
raw deal EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
raw deal EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
raw deal EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
raw deal EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
raw deal EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
raw deal EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
raw deal EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
raw deal EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

raw deal Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

3 posters

raw deal

raw deal Empty raw deal

Post by Guest Fri Sep 24 2010, 01:56

Niko's raw deal?
    A year ago, Spurs fans were praising Harry's success in the transfer market. For £2.5 million, he'd signed an international player, with 3 years Premiership experience.

Niko Kranjcar debut as a sub vs. Man U was unremarkable. But, in time, the tall Croatian managed to squeeze himself into the Modric-sized hole, left in our midfield, following Luka's injury. Kranjcar played some stupendous games. His huge contribution to the 9-1 victory vs. Wigan was overlooked, in the euphoria of Defoe's goal fest.

December brought Niko a double strike, vs. Man City and his best performance in a Spurs shirt yet. By this time, Modric was fit again. Many questioned whether the two Croatians could play in the same team. They proved that they could, with their systematic destruction of Peterborough in the F.A Cup - another game in which Kranjcar scored 2 goals. It was like watching a snake being attacked by two mongooses, such was the movement and cunning of Niko and Luka.

Gareth Bale's emergence at left midfield then began to limit Niko's opportunities. Nevertheless, Kranjcar quietly went about his work, seizing every chance of some playing time and scoring in League wins against Stoke and Pompey. But it was against his old club, in the F.A. Cup semi final, that Niko suffered a season-ending injury.

Unlike Aaron Lennon in the home defeat by Stoke, Niko wasn't prepared to leave his team with 10 men, after all 3 subs had been made. He battled on through the searing pain of torn ankle ligaments, because he didn't want to let anyone down. Kranjcar spent his summer in California, rehabilitating at the clinic, which treated Beckham's Achilles injury. He returned for pre-season a week ahead of the rest, so keen was he to be fit and ready for the new term.

As expected, his first few games were tentative, as he nursed his ankle back into action. But, when the Premiership kicked off, he found himself out of the team. Niko has not started a competitive game, this season. And with the arrival of VDV, his chances of doing so become fewer. But, he's not a moaner. He won't be found bleating to the press about Harry. He's a consummate professional and he's a class act of a man, who certainly didn't deserve the treatment he got from our manager on Tuesday night.

After Harry had spent 2 days, telling the media that he would use his squad for the Carling Cup tie and play those who needed games, such as Kranjcar, Bassong and Pav, he then proceeded to leave Niko on the bench. What does that say to the player, other than: 'Well son, you're not even good enough to get in my reserve team'? After 'bigging' him up, saying what a 'fantastic player' Kranjcar is, Redknapp leaves him out of the side, only introducing him, in a completely alien central midfield role, when the match was as good as lost.

Niko is not by nature an 'impact' player. There have been times when he has come on as sub and made a difference (most recent example being the Wigan game, which we ultimately lost). But he is better, when played from the start and, if needs be, substituted off. To introduce him into that game, last night, when we were 1-3 down, was pointless. All it did was make Kranjcar look like a poor player, who was off the pace.

Fans are debating his fitness and weight. Surely if they were a concern, our coaches would be on the case already? How can weight be an issue? At his height, he's got to carry SOME bulk. He's a big lad for a midfielder and not a speed merchant. Yet people expect him to move niftily like Luka or VDV? He's fit, but is he MATCH fit? And, if he's not, he needs a few 90 minute games behind him. That's why it was so important for him to start last night - and Harry benched him!

What does the future hold for Niko? There are 14 Premiership clubs, where he'd walk straight into the starting XI. Is he wanted at Spurs? Is being 'Mr Nice Guy' doing him any favours? He's a fine player. It saddens me, to see what's happening to him.

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

raw deal Empty Re: raw deal

Post by BazSpur Fri Sep 24 2010, 02:19

Agree totally with that. Instead of poncing about using Bentley on the left Arry should have put Kranky out there from the start, show some faith in the player. This is a part of Redknapp I don't like. We had it with Bale and Pav when it was obvious to most of us that they could more than do the job. Even when Bale was demolishing sides with his left wing play redknapp was talking about putting him back to left back.

Post by Guest Fri Sep 24 2010, 05:40

ye it baffled me that krankar didnt start after harry biggin him up in the pre match confernce. sumthings not right there.

i dont mind the kids playing but at least let them play there game. harry did the same in cup man u away he played the kids and seem to tel them just to defend. even when we was 2 1 down with 10 mins left our players didnt get forward

the other night he sets us up so denfensiv and let them have the ball

Post by Guest Fri Sep 24 2010, 06:58

Perhaps krancky is being kept for the bigger games lought ? he certainly (as you say) was an able replacement for modric.

Post by Guest Fri Sep 24 2010, 07:30

cant see it lew unless we get more injuries. i hear reports sayin that he came back overweight.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Fri Sep 24 2010, 08:11

Maybe that's the problem then.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Fri Sep 24 2010, 08:43

I think Redknapp is trying to hard to accommodate everyone , Bently for me dilly dallies to much on the ball Kranjcar is far better he should have started

Post by Guest Fri Sep 24 2010, 18:09

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has assured Niko Kranjcar that he has a future at the club despite not playing him yet this season.

The 26-year old Croatian midfielder has not featured in any of Redknapp’s sides in the new campaign but the Spurs boss is adamant that he will soon get his chance.

“I’ve got a lot of games coming up and Niko is very much in my plans to play,” Redknapp said.

“David Bentley needed a game against Arsenal, but Niko played two internationals for Croatia in the last break.

“It wasn’t like he was desperate to get a game this week. I felt he was OK.

“Giovani (dos Santos) and David needed to play and that is why I went with them.”

http://www.tribalfootball.com

Post by Guest Sat Sep 25 2010, 02:08

but did you need to play bentley out of postion. harry should of started krankar on the left
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Sat Sep 25 2010, 02:41

Loughtonlegend wrote:but did you need to play bentley out of postion. harry should of started krankar on the left

Maybe he thought Bentley would have more joy against Eboue then Gibbs?

Post by Guest Sat Sep 25 2010, 02:58

yea maybe.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03 2024, 02:13